• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Youtube Channel Hacked - Now Taken Down (Has been restored)

stranno

That was a good site with good videos. But it disappeared fast. They lasted only a couple years.
Yeah, performance videos weren't really popular back then I guess. When they edited these, DF staff (staff.. Richard alone, I guess) was still doing articles for Eurogamer, with some screenshots and very short clips. And no performance metrics iirc.

Last edited:

Dolomite

I'd bet its a disgruntled Halo fan.

Can't see it being a platform warrior because, lets face it, DF's biases have always been consistent. They didn't get the exclusive access from MS for nothing!

So, quite why some rando Playstation fanboy would decide to attack now -with no real point of controversy to have their jimmies rustled by- is unclear. On the other hand Alex being slightly uncomplimentary about Halo Infinite's graphics I can imagine might upset a certain type of idiot.
Seen exactly no one, on Twitter or had upset about DF's Halo coverage

If I had to choose, I'd choose VGTech. Even though all of them have slightly different tests, I think VG is the only one with detailed spreadsheet stats to go with the video. So unless the guy is lying and making up numbers he's got data. Those videos I dont think even have voiceovers so you dont get subjective commentary.
Yes but he was not talking about VG Tech, i agree with you VGT is great.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I hear Alex has some nice pictures

Reaction Gif GIF by MOODMAN

Excess

Are they though? I'm not denying we still have tons of great games, nor that having a game running and looking well is a good thing, but I remember that back then (prior to PS3/X360) we had TONS of fantastic games that made their name so strong that they're still being remade / given sequences to this date, and we did not have Digital Foundry telling us the "importance of the important things".

I wonder how important these things really are when Demon's Souls and Dark Souls became one of the most influential games of the past decade, even running like crap specially in certain circumstances. People loved these games back then, and even though we complained about the frame-rate issues in Blighttown for example, we had a lot of fun with the game nonetheless.

I think what needs to be stressed is that the impetus for greater performance variables and being knowledgeable about them came from the competitive gaming scene. It started with anything that was going to provide a competitive advantage, tweaking settings and purchasing hardware for the slightest edge. Nobody wants to play below a certain framerate or have constant stuttering. That is what got me interested in these the topic of game performance. The work that DF does is absolutely great for PC gamers, especially their recommended settings.

With console, it's just easy click-bait because they just document games as they are, and there's no recommendations to be made. It keeps their channel afloat.

Ignorance is bliss, though, so it can be said that we enjoyed older games regardless, but I have no clue how I dealt with it back in the day.

winjer

Gold Member
Agreed. I dont know how some Sony games have DLSS (Death Stranding/GOW) and they only just started porting games to PC while MS has been doing it for almost five years and still doesnt support DLSS in many titles.

I admire day one PC gamepass releases, but lets do it right.

This has mostly to do with nVidia and the the agreements they settle.
Implementing DLSS is difficult and expensive. So usually nVidia sends a team of engineers to help optimize games for their tech.
AMD and Intel do the same with their GPUs and CPUs.

Recently nVidia in collaboration with Unity and Epic did release SDKs than are implemented with these games most recent versions.
This means that a lot of devs can implement DLSS faster and cheaper.
But it's not a magic bullet, because games that started development on an earlier build of Unity or UE4, might not be able to upgrade.

For example, Days Gone was done in UE4.11. So they either would have to do all the work to implement DLSS into UE 4.11.
Or update to UE 4.26. And this would also mean a lot of work.

Of course nVidia, AMD and Intel are always trying to find the biggest titles to sponsor.
And that's why nVidia went after God of War on PC.
But this also means that the studio has to accept having a bunch of external engineers tinkering with their engine.
Some studios might be reluctant to have other people see how their tech works. Or risk having technical problems by adding new tech.

I'm just saying that adding DLSS is not as easy as flipping switch.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This has mostly to do with nVidia and the the agreements they settle.
Implementing DLSS is difficult and expensive. So usually nVidia sends a team of engineers to help optimize games for their tech.
AMD and Intel do the same with their GPUs and CPUs.

Recently nVidia in collaboration with Unity and Epic did release SDKs than are implemented with these games most recent versions.
This means that a lot of devs can implement DLSS faster and cheaper.
But it's not a magic bullet, because games that started development on an earlier build of Unity or UE4, might not be able to upgrade.

For example, Days Gone was done in UE4.11. So they either would have to do all the work to implement DLSS into UE 4.11.
Or update to UE 4.26. And this would also mean a lot of work.

Of course nVidia, AMD and Intel are always trying to find the biggest titles to sponsor.
And that's why nVidia went after God of War on PC.
But this also means that the studio has to accept having a bunch of external engineers tinkering with their engine.
Some studios might be reluctant to have other people see how their tech works. Or risk having technical problems by adding new tech.

I'm just saying that adding DLSS is not as easy as flipping switch.
Understood but they had three years to flip the switch. ;p FH4 also launched simultaneously on PC IIRC so they had the entire dev cycle to implement this stuff. We have seen devs go back and add ray tracing support to console games which must require way effort than adding support for DLSS.

winjer

Gold Member
Understood but they had three years to flip the switch. ;p FH4 also launched simultaneously on PC IIRC so they had the entire dev cycle to implement this stuff. We have seen devs go back and add ray tracing support to console games which must require way effort than adding support for DLSS.

It was only a year and a half ago, that nVidia released DLSS 2.0
And even then, they didn't have the current SDK, so there was a ton of work to implement DLSS.
Only in the end of 2020, or start of 2021, did nVidia have a more complete SDK that eased the work for game devs.
Also consider that the SDK for DLSS was only made available for all Devs, a few months ago.

I have an RTX 2070S but I can't upgrade because of the GPU prices of today. So DLSS has been great for get some extra performance.
I would love to have DLSS on all my games. But I also know that's easier said than done.

Last edited:

Gtafans93

I've been saying for a while that these guys have teared the fabric of videogame culture. Back in the day, we used to love seeing arcade machines getting all slow and glitchy because that meant we had dozens of enemies on screen and the game was pushing the machine to its limits. Now we have a bunch of pussies saying they won't touch a game because the frame rate drops on a specific corner of a track of a 300 hour racing game. POORLY OPTIMISED.

I do respect the channel but it has created a legion of autistic tech-gamers. But that's the Internet for you: radicalisation.
Hey even us with Autism Hate the radicalization of what the internets taken from digital foundry

MrFunSocks

Banned
Man, YT doing this again. This is the same crap that happened to Hardware Unboxed. Not the flagging/removing the hacked channel, but making the owner wait for days before replying/reinstating the channel. DF is going to be fine, but this is fucked up. They want to have a legit way for people to be "a business", but then offer no real customer support and no way to get in touch to fix something like this.
It's google in general. If you have a problem and need to contact support it's an absolute shitshow of frustration and never ending waiting.

FingerBang

It's google in general. If you have a problem and need to contact support it's an absolute shitshow of frustration and never ending waiting.
This doesn't normally affect non-creators, but if I were locked out of my email or if they took away the possibility of logging in with Google, I'd be so fucked (and I'm probably not the only one).

Anyway, good to see they fixed it

Top Bottom