• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Youtube Channel Hacked - Now Taken Down (Has been restored)

I've been saying for a while that these guys have teared the fabric of videogame culture. Back in the day, we used to love seeing arcade machines getting all slow and glitchy because that meant we had dozens of enemies on screen and the game was pushing the machine to its limits. Now we have a bunch of pussies saying they won't touch a game because the frame rate drops on a specific corner of a track of a 300 hour racing game. POORLY OPTIMISED.

I do respect the channel but it has created a legion of autistic tech-gamers. But that's the Internet for you: radicalisation.
We need Digital Foundry. Maybe crazy internet trolls should calm down...

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's a catastrophe! How will gamers know what graphics they're supposed to find good or bad now?!
Easy.

Have a mad scientist swap your head with a condor, and you'll now be able to see the difference between a game running at 4k vs. 3600 x 2000, and a game running at 60 fps vs. one that runs at 60 fps 99.9% of the time.

Just to show how dumb the nitpicky stats can be, DF, NXGamer and VGTech all have different spec scores for the same game.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Do we know what actually happened yet? Fell for a scam, had poor account security, or actually did something wrong?

For people that don't have allegiances to console manufacturers, and who just like learning and discussing tech, DF are great. They're still the best at what they do.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

The Eurogamer website has mirrors
circus-charlie-chaplin.gif

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What? Do you not remember the console wars during the 8-16 bit era?
Things were so much worse than this, for much slighter differences.
If anything, DF gives actual data, and if you decide to battle over a 2fps difference that's really on you.

I'm missing some context here but did one of the DF guys ran over the Neogaf's admin dog or something?

Much slighter differences? The differences were MUCH bigger back then. The consoles were very different from each other technically, and often got completely separate versions of games. That was actually worth arguing over. Now we have two basically identical pieces of hardware with minor performance differences, and the games are also identical with a few percent higher framerate or resolution here and there.

Last edited:

Inviusx

So many salty people in here lambasting DF's coverage. You know they pass on their findings to the developers right?

Just last week they reported the inconsistent framerate issues with the Switch version of Dying Light and Techland have already issued a patch with a fix.

I dont see why there's so many haters here....

Last edited:

Thief1987

So many salty people in here lambasting DF's coverage. You know they pass on their findings to the developers right?

Just last week they reported the inconsistent framerate issues with the Switch version of Dying Light and Techland have already issued a patch with a fix.

Yeah because before shill foundry's report devs didn't know about framerate issues lol

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
DF has saved me a ton of money with their tech videos.
John Candy Reaction GIF

I'd hate to go back to knowing SOMETHING was off with a games performance, but not being able to quite put my finger on it.
If the price of their existence is giving a bunch of Pixel Peeping Fanboi's ammunition. . .so be it.
. . .are these joke posts?

You are prolly the only one making a purchase-decision based on Digital Foundry´s videos. Rememba DEMOS? and why they stopped "making, offering them"? A demo back in the day, saved me more money than any Digital Foundry contribution. I´ve gotten more helpful PSAs, on reddit (r/ps4), these past 7 years, warning about certain games being scams, broken, not being update in months etc..

Except for Ass.Creep Unity, not one of their finding was helpful at all.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Ugh I did a search for digital foundry on you tube and all the trash fanboy and click bait channels came up and I felt ill just reading all the titles. 🤢

Last edited:

FingerBang

Man, YT doing this again. This is the same crap that happened to Hardware Unboxed. Not the flagging/removing the hacked channel, but making the owner wait for days before replying/reinstating the channel. DF is going to be fine, but this is fucked up. They want to have a legit way for people to be "a business", but then offer no real customer support and no way to get in touch to fix something like this.

Yeah because before shill foundry's report devs didn't know about framerate issues lol
Developers listen to them and feel like doing something more instead of mostly ignoring the problem, which was the standard before. Dislike them as much as you want but they're good for the industry and for us.

MikeM

People are just insecure when objective results don’t go their way (or their favourite gaming box’s way in this instance). You see it with Ford vs GM in the truck arena, BMW vs Audi in the luxury car segment, Apple vs Android, etc.
Its never going to go away when the loud percentage of the audience has the maturity of a toddler.
I’m thankful for groups like DF and NXGamer for spitting out the facts. Whether people can handle it is irrelevant to me.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
I was thinking their Halo coverage rubbed someone the wrong way.

Wasn't their coverage very critical of the engine, lighting, quality of materials? It wasn't flattering, but they showed the improvement's to character models, details, but still said the same thing they said on initial reveal about Real-time lighting system that doesn't always look great when doing a game with night/day cycles.

You wonder if it's a hardcore fanbase from team green and not someone from team blue? Either way this sucks. I sometimes disagree with digital foundry when they do stupid shit like with the RTX stuff, but they are always a great source for seeing technical achievements and possibly improvements to games/engines.

I’m not a console gamer but …. Alex is pretty cringe.

Yes I will never stop making that joke. 😡
The problem is the guy give us PC players a bad image as well. I will never be part of the "PC master race" horde mentality. I understand Alex loves PC that much, but his condescending way of speak is what enerves me. He was literally disappointed in the Forza 5 analysis on the PC side because it was way too similar to the Xbox Series X configs. I as well want Ray trace while playing (he mentioned modding the game files to achieve it), but he could try to hide his bias.

winjer

Gold Member
I’m not a console gamer but …. Alex is pretty cringe.

Yes I will never stop making that joke. 😡

Yeah, the guy is very whinny. And extremely biased.
If a game doesn't have RTX he'll go into a fit.

We just had one of the better looking games of this gen, with FH5. And he spent a good portion of the video whining about not having RTX in game.
But a week ago, he couldn't stop praising Fisto, a game with average graphics, just because it used RTX. And the weird thing is that game looked barely any better with RTX.
If it wasn't for side by side screenshots, with zoom, almost no one could tell the diference. Asides from the huge performance hit to frame rate.

And let's not forget about his fetish with Crysis.
Crytek can release a turd, like Crysis Remastered, and he get the biggest erection.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I don't know if this has been said already but a lot of their videos seem to be up on eurogamer, i've watched a bushel over the last hour or two

GymWolf

The problem is the guy give us PC players a bad image as well. I will never be part of the "PC master race" horde mentality. I understand Alex loves PC that much, but his condescending way of speak is what enerves me. He was literally disappointed in the Forza 5 analysis on the PC side because it was way too similar to the Xbox Series X configs. I as well want Ray trace while playing (he mentioned modding the game files to achieve it), but he could try to hide his bias.
I can't stand bagtallia but he is right every time he talks about lazy pc version.

People spend thousands of dollars to build a nice pc and they need to know this stuff before buying the game, and no rtx during the race on pc is quintessential lazy development, we are not talking about an indie studios...

Of course people who only play on console doesn't care aboit this, but pc players do care.

Last edited:
I can't stand bagtallia but he is right every time he talks about lazy pc version.

People spend thousands of dollars to build a nice pc and they need to know this stuff before buying the game, and no rtx during the race on pc is quintessential lazy development, we are not talking about an indie studios...

Of course people who only play on console doesn't care aboit this, but pc players do care.
Yes, it is understandable his complaint about no RTX in-game. I generally don't go out of my way to defend any gaming studio but Playground games aren't what I'd call lazy. I genuinely don't know if the PC port was made in-house or outsourced to a third party but I can see it gaining an RTX gameplay option in the future. The game is already gorgeous but RT would make it even better.

GymWolf

Yes, it is understandable his complaint about no RTX in-game. I generally don't go out of my way to defend any gaming studio but Playground games aren't what I'd call lazy. I genuinely don't know if the PC port was made in-house or outsourced to a third party but I can see it gaining an RTX gameplay option in the future. The game is already gorgeous but RT would make it even better.
I don't even give 2 shits about rtx, but i understand his sentiment.

No offense, but a game need to be complete at launch, promise of future rtx (or any feature) when majority of people doesn't play the game anymore is like rubbing salt on the injury tbh.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Alex is just German... He really only cares about games like The Patrician, Gothic and Counter Strike and he's being asked to come up with things to say about other genres and he's doing his best.

ss_10a808d2ed4f57a51b7556a02ec6e38122232817.1920x1080.jpg

^^ This satisfies Alex

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Zooms in 500% but do not notice new water in death stranding.
Anyway - I love their work! hope channel is ok

I once had an e-mail sent to me by someone claiming to represent an indie game dev studio offering me a seemingly-too-good-to-be-true sponsorship deal, but I had a red flag in my head when instead of giving me the game to actually play and promote in my own way, they expected me to use only "pre-recorded footage". Except said "footage" was actually an executable screensaver file, way too small to be any particular recording. I tried asking for an actual movie file and there was no response for at least a week, whereupon I shrugged and moved on. This was back in April or so.

I wonder if this is related to that.

Top Bottom