• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Youtube Channel Hacked - Now Taken Down (Has been restored)

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I can't stand bagtallia but he is right every time he talks about lazy pc version.

People spend thousands of dollars to build a nice pc and they need to know this stuff before buying the game, and no rtx during the race on pc is quintessential lazy development, we are not talking about an indie studios...

Of course people who only play on console doesn't care aboit this, but pc players do care.

unfortunately people are not logical. pc devs use to could add settings way past current standards.. now days if they do that they are called lazy or the game unoptimized shit.. so they can’t just add something that’s not been completely ironed out or unoptimized for those who could just brute force it because it would be received poorly by the majority of people.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Come on guys, which one of you did this?

stephen colbert GIF

winjer

Gold Member
They do their job alright... but nah... we definitely don't NEED them. I'm sure everyone would move on normally with their lives and play their games as usual without nitpicking about frame-rate and resolution that they wouldn't even notice if someone didn't prior warn them.

That's very wrong.
They helped educate a lot of people about the importance of important things. Constant frame rate, and frame pacing are very important to having a smooth gamming experience.
One great example was that of frame pacing. They were not the first to do it. Techreport, did this earlier.
But DF brought the concept to consoles gamers. And even console developers took notice.
Today gamers, both on PC and consoles, are have higher quality standards, and demand better from game developers.
This has improved gamming for everyone. Even for those who don't care about these metrics.

Kssio_Aug

Today gamers, both on PC and consoles, are have higher quality standards, and demand better from game developers.
Are they though? I'm not denying we still have tons of great games, nor that having a game running and looking well is a good thing, but I remember that back then (prior to PS3/X360) we had TONS of fantastic games that made their name so strong that they're still being remade / given sequences to this date, and we did not have Digital Foundry telling us the "importance of the important things".

I wonder how important these things really are when Demon's Souls and Dark Souls became one of the most influential games of the past decade, even running like crap specially in certain circumstances. People loved these games back then, and even though we complained about the frame-rate issues in Blighttown for example, we had a lot of fun with the game nonetheless.

winjer

Gold Member
Are they though? I'm not denying we still have tons of great games, nor that having a game running and looking well is a good thing, but I remember that back then (prior to PS3/X360) we had TONS of fantastic games that made their name so strong that they're still being remade / given sequences to this date, and we did not have Digital Foundry telling us the "importance of the important things".

I wonder how important these things really are when Demon's Souls and Dark Souls became one of the most influential games of the past decade, even running like crap specially in certain circumstances. People loved these games back then, and even though we complained about the frame-rate issues in Blighttown for example, we had a lot of fun with the game nonetheless.

You probably have a rose tinted idea of older games.
But they didn't run very well. Most had inconsistent frame rate and frame pacing. Even those big games you talk about.
At the time we just didn't know better. Neither devs, nor gamers.
Yes, they were great games. But if they had constant frame rate and frame pacing, they would be even better.
These things don't deny if a game is good or not. But they will improve them significantly.
That's the thing you have to understand.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You are prolly the only one making a purchase-decision based on Digital Foundry´s videos.

I doubt that, but ok. Even so. Why would someone using DF be an issue? You mention other resources as if it is an either or type situation. It isn't. It's just MORE information.

tommib

Performance has 0 impact on the quality of a game and how people perceive it. Bloodborne is probably the most respected and worshipped game of the last decade and that motherfucker these days is teared apart because of its performance by the new legion of DF tech-gamers.

A good game is a good game. Art before graphics and performance. Gameplay before graphics and performance. Level design before graphics and performance.

Ocarina of time ran at 18 fps in Europe. It changed the industry and it’s still in everyone’s hearts. Performance doesn’t conquer hearts.

Duchess

WTF is have to do with DF?
DF doesn't have any trans folk on their team, which therefore means it's transphobic. Also, they never do tech investigations into games with trans characters in it, making them double transphobic. They probably also once reviewed a piece of hardware from a company whose CEO mis-gendered someone, therefore making them triple transphobic.

One transphobic instance means you're cancelled, two means you're erased from history, and three ejects you from all known time, to exist forever in the space between universes, where everything's really boring.

tommib

DF doesn't have any trans folk on their team, which therefore means it's transphobic. Also, they never do tech investigations into games with trans characters in it, making them double transphobic. They probably also once reviewed a piece of hardware from a company whose CEO mis-gendered someone, therefore making them triple transphobic.

One transphobic instance means you're cancelled, two means you're erased from history, and three ejects you from all known time, to exist forever in the space between universes, where everything's really boring.
You’re forgetting their most transphobic action: choosing Cyberpunk 2069 as the game with the best graphics last year.

MikeM

That's very wrong.
They helped educate a lot of people about the importance of important things. Constant frame rate, and frame pacing are very important to having a smooth gamming experience.
One great example was that of frame pacing. They were not the first to do it. Techreport, did this earlier.
But DF brought the concept to consoles gamers. And even console developers took notice.
This has improved gamming for everyone. Even for those who don't care about these metrics.
The fact that DF is now being engaged by devs to look at their work prior to release speaks to this. DF is a benefit to the community, as is NXGamer and the others.

I doubt that, but ok. Even so. Why would someone using DF be an issue? You mention other resources as if it is an either or type situation. It isn't. It's just MORE information.
Agreed. I can say I've bought games after watching performance reviews from DF. Why is it now frowned upon to do research on performance prior to game purchases? We do it for everything else in life (i.e. cars, phones, etc).

Last edited:

tommib

The fact that DF is now being engaged by devs to look at their work prior to release speaks to this. DF is a benefit to the community, as is NXGamer and the others.

Agreed. I can say I've bought games after watching performance reviews from DF. Why is it now frowned upon to do research on performance prior to game purchases? We do it for everything else in life (i.e. cars, phones, etc).
This is all fine. It’s the disease of people saying they won’t play something because of a 1 frame drop or some low resolution that you have to zoom in at 500% to see. And you know these people exist. And you can’t deny that DF fuels this tech extremism where performance trumps everything else.

raduque

THANK YOU! I know they are a tech site but fuck me, this group has effectively ruined the gaming for a great many of us (IMO). Who really cares that right back in the distance where you aren't looking, that tree in the Series X version is a little sharper than the PS5 version? Or that the PS5 runs 1 extra frame better in this scene than the Series X? Play the fucking games you enjoy and focus on gameplay!
Personally, I like seeing how the different platforms run, how they use different resolutions and AA implementations and lighting solutions to provide a playable experience. The technology is interesting to me.

MikeM

This is all fine. It’s the disease of people saying they won’t play something because of a 1 frame drop or some low resolution that you have to zoom in at 500% to see. And you know these people exist. And you can’t deny that DF fuels this tech extremism where performance trumps everything else.
No disagreement there. But that is a loud minority. The vast majority of gaming (especially on console) is done by users who have no clue who DF are, nor do they care about frame drops, DRS, etc.

Agent X

It's awful that someone would resort to doing something like this. Those guys provided a valuable service, which was very highly regarded. Maybe some people didn't get the same "value" out of it as others did, but that's no reason to try to damage all their hard work.

winjer

Gold Member

I have never seen anyone say they won't play a game because of 1 frame drop. Or some low resolution at 500%.
You are just exaggerating a lot, to try to reduce the positive aspects that DF had on gaming.

The only negative thing that DF did was to give fuel for fanboys to rage about.
While most people saw their comparisons as interesting exercise for comparing tech, fanboys used it as ammunition to attack other fanboys.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As for you guys talking about DF being too nitpicky and whether thats good for gamers and devs or not it depends on the gamer/user.

Some people wont care and read it for interest, some will go ape shit at it. It comes down to whether anyone thinks zooming in 500% and focusing on a couple frames out of sync out of 10000 frames is good reporting and knowledge for the gamers, or overdoing it like assholes to get clicks.

For example, if you read any car review, they'll go over the ride quality, acceleration, handling in turns, noise etc.... Overall general tests and opinions.

Cars actually have stated in the manuals and online tons of stats, dimensions, speed, fuel economy, trunk space square feet etc....

Now if the car reviewers nitpicked that the trunk space is 1/4 sq ft smaller than stated and the car doesn't go 0-60 in 6 seconds, but it really does it in 6.02 seconds and every article is the same stating microscopic details like that or the width of the car with mirrors out is +/- 1.5 millimeters than the manual says, everyone would think these reviewers are retards.

Last edited:

raduque

Ocarina of time ran at 18 fps in Europe
18fps on a CRT is a helluva lot different than 18fps on an LCD.

A modern game running on a modern LCD TV or worse, high refresh rate PC monitor, would be absolutely unplayable, just from a visual perspective, not to mention the controller lag.

Performance, past a certain point, absolutely has a greater than zero impact on how people perceive a game and its quality.

Except i trust NXGamer more than DF, cous DF is sometimes obvious biased.

Last edited:

tommib

I have never seen anyone say they won't play a game because of 1 frame drop. Or some low resolution at 500%.
You are just exaggerating a lot, to try to reduce the positive aspects that DF had on gaming.

The only negative thing that DF did was to give fuel for fanboys to rage about.
While most people saw their comparisons as interesting exercise for comparing tech, fanboys used it as ammunition to attack other fanboys.
Sure, I’m exaggerating but the hyperbole is out there and we’ve all seen people losing it because of a couple frames. At worst, it fuels console wars endlessly with tech discussions that don’t go anywhere. So we agree there of course.

I’m just not sensitive to these graphical hiccups and don’t think about them and don’t see them as a deterrent to a game’s quality. I played Deathloop on quality mode and was totally aware of the drops here and there. But I knew they existed because I was pushing the game and the console. Which I kind of like.

WitchHunter

You probably have a rose tinted idea of older games.
But they didn't run very well. Most had inconsistent frame rate and frame pacing. Even those big games you talk about.
At the time we just didn't know better. Neither devs, nor gamers.
Yes, they were great games. But if they had constant frame rate and frame pacing, they would be even better.
These things don't deny if a game is good or not. But they will improve them significantly.
That's the thing you have to understand.
When someone tells you that you cannot do something, you all of a sudden feel the urge to do it, even if you've never done it before.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Except i trust NXGamer more than DF, cous DF is sometimes obvious biased.
If I had to choose, I'd choose VGTech. Even though all of them have slightly different tests, I think VG is the only one with detailed spreadsheet stats to go with the video. So unless the guy is lying and making up numbers he's got data. Those videos I dont think even have voiceovers so you dont get subjective commentary.

WitchHunter

As for you guys talking about DF being too nitpicky and whether thats good for gamers and devs or not it depends on the gamer/user.

Some people wont care and read it for interest, some will go ape shit at it. It comes down to whether anyone thinks zooming in 500% and focusing on a couple frames out of sync out of 10000 frames is good reporting and knowledge for the gamers, or overdoing it like assholes to get clicks.

For example, if you read any car review, they'll go over the ride quality, acceleration, handling in turns, noise etc.... Overall general tests and opinions.

Cars actually have stated in the manuals and online tons of stats, dimensions, speed, fuel economy, trunk space square feet etc....

Now if the car reviewers nitpicked that the trunk space is 1/4 sq ft smaller than stated and the car doesn't go 0-60 in 6 seconds, but it really does it in 6.02 seconds and every article is the same stating microscopic details like that or the width of the car with mirrors out is +/- 1.5 millimeters than the manual says, everyone would think these reviewers are retards.
True, nonetheless most of the car reviews are dead boring and concentrate on totally idiotic things.

I couldn't care less about console wars. I just wanna know the game I'm buying is quality or not. I can't enjoy a game if it has glaring issues with it's visual presentation. I don't care if the story is amazing, it's all about presentation to me. If it's sloppy, I'll skip it. I don't care how that makes me sound. Games are expensive, I need to be picky.

That was the one cool thing about PC gaming. Being able to sort of fix a game by adjusting the settings until I'm happy with how it looks/runs. Sometimes that would require a config file edit, but most games could be tuned until I was satisfied.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Game needs DLSS also game needs TAA, game shimmers even at 8x msaa and fxaa.
Agreed. I dont know how some Sony games have DLSS (Death Stranding/GOW) and they only just started porting games to PC while MS has been doing it for almost five years and still doesnt support DLSS in many titles.

I admire day one PC gamepass releases, but lets do it right.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Someone I'm subscribed to had his channel hacked.

It's an interesting video because he explains how it happened in case anyone's curious.

Eh.. that seems like BS, this person doesn't seem to really know? That is a random ass guess.

edit: Or they just aren't really revealing what they did after clicking the "google drive link."

Nobody wants to admit how they actually got hacked.. it's generally something embaressing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom