• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

Yes, like I said hit piece because he didn't understand they were actually at the Studio.
What part was DF lying?
There are several points pointed out, just look at the videos
Most glaring lie is that it was analysis like any other, when it was a promotion read straight from MS script.

assurdum

Banned
Did you miss my post earlier where I said he has a history of leaking information that has proven to be correct? That's why he has more credibility than your example.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Damn this thread got spicy!🌶

I wonder if cozying up had anything to do with DF engaging in the pre-spec release rumor and FUD war of the supposed GitHub “leak”, which was unorthodox for them since they never got involved in rumors or the like prior to that. They mainly stuck to official release data to test and were never about that RedGamingTech like train.

To the point where even a few members on the staff entertained the FUDwar notion of “no hardware RT” for the PS5 prior to spec release.

Things that make you go, hmmm 🤔

Last edited:
No, it's not worth it.

And this thread was the worst venue for anyone to bring up the "MS shills" point in the first place, this is the least likeliest of threads where that would have worked in the first place.
My bad. I went with logic and didn't think of the emotional part. These things are never resolved.

Yamisan

This video made me want a series x just for Forza 5 atm, I already have a ps5. Xbox series x is instock at gamestop.com if you do the all access thing

assurdum

Banned
So no proof at all, another made up claim.
No proof based on what if you haven't cared to check the video I mentioned :messenger_tears_of_joy: anyway go to check the DF video where Tom talked about the FPS issue on ps5 no found on XSX. What's the supposed cause hearing his opinion?

Last edited:
It's BS that you can't do a full analysis when you're not at your office but at the developers studio? I think most people could see through that one quite easily.
What kind of BS story are you trying to pull here?

aWGOend.png

There are other people working at DF than just John, so if he was tainted by the MS script(studio visit/interview), then someone else could've done the "professional" analysis.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
What kind of BS story are you trying to pull here?

aWGOend.png

There are other people working at DF than just John, so if he was tainted by the MS script, then someone else could've done the "professional" analysis.

They did do their own analysis, they've done several on Gears 5. The time in question they were at The Coalition without access to the software at their own office, this is simple to understand.
They visited a studio and got some information about a game that all proved to be correct, no reasonable person would see a problem with that.

Last edited:
They did do their own analysis, they've done several on Gears 5. The time in question they were at The Coalition without access to the software at their own office, this is simple to understand.
They visited a studio and got some information about a game that all proved to be correct, no reasonable person would see a problem with that.
This is total BS, and you know it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's BS that you can't do a full analysis when you're not at your office but at the developers studio? I think most people could see through that one quite easily.
If they were reading from a script, which they were since it contained several internal terms to describe specific techniques that were not universal terminology in the graphics world and the first time we all heard them… at a hosts studio, then “sponsored content” should be used. That shit felt like an advert. Even more so when it was called out and light shined on it when it came to glowing praise about lighting elements and reflections that did not exist.

They are literally in the influencer role at that moment, which influencers do disclaim sponsored content.

But hey, “it’s only okay when we do it” is the mantra in the great wars of sides. No matter the medium or topic.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
You made a claim, not unreasonable to back it up no? Otherwise what you say has no basis as usual.
As usual said Mr XSS hardware would left behind ps5? Are you sure you want to play the game with me about who is less reliable for such stuff like seriously :pie_smirking:

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If they were reading from a script, which they were since it contained several internal terms to describe specific techniques that were not universal terminology in the graphics world and the first time we all heard them… at a hosts studio, then “sponsored content” should be used.

They are literally in the influencer role at that moment, which influencers do disclaim sponsored content. That shit felt like an advert.

But hey, “it’s only okay when we do it” is the mantra in the great wars of sides. No matter the medium or topic.

Any visit to any studio you can only really regurgitate the information you're given, point in the end is that all that information turned out to be correct as it should be because it came directly from the developer.
When they had the game they did a full analysis and actually informed the Coalition of some frame drops that got fixed.
I don't see how anyone should have a problem with this, we actually ended up with better software because of DF.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Any visit to any studio you can only really regurgitate the information you're given, point in the end is that all that information turned out to be correct as it should be because it came directly from the developer.
When they had the game they did a full analysis and actually informed the Coalition of some frame drops that got fixed.
I don't see how anyone should have a problem with this, we actually ended up with better software because of DF.
It was sponsored content then. Why do you mental gymnastics around this?

Did they also point out the lack of reflections, the lack of direct dynamic light sources that they claimed were all there “and amazing” in the initial video and got called out which proved they were reading from a dev script?

Again, sponsored content in that initial video.

Last edited:

mejin

If they were reading from a script, which they were since it contained several internal terms to describe specific techniques that were not universal terminology in the graphics world and the first time we all heard them… at a hosts studio, then “sponsored content” should be used. That shit felt like an advert. Even more so when it was called out and light shined on it when it came to glowing praise about lighting elements and reflections that did not exist.

They are literally in the influencer role at that moment, which influencers do disclaim sponsored content.

You, you...How dare you!

@adamsanpler, get him

assurdum

Banned
I haven't manipulated anything, you made a claim, you were asked for proof, you couldn't supply it. Therefore you lied, simple.
I said check the video. They updated the written article. But in the video there is a specific part which show FPS difference and he implied GPU was the cause on ps5.

Riky

$MSFT
I said check the video. They updated the written article. But in the video there is a specific part which show FPS difference and he implied GPU was the cause on ps5.

They updated the written article? Proof?
So now it's gone to "implied" , so they didn't say what you said at all.

Honestly I think it means giving Digital Foundry first dibs on the consoles before anyone else. By doing that they can make Digital Foundry feel like Microsoft is treating them well so they will side with them more. At least that's what I think happened.

Not that Microsoft dropped a fat sack of cash on Digital Foundry's doorstep in exchange for positive impressions.

This is very believable and likely what went down. They wanted the One X to look good to hardcore gamers, DF was established as providing technical analysis showing off the power of hardware and games...why not invite them out to test the new hardware and games and provide some sweet accommodations?

Sounds perfectly normal if that was the case, because Sony, Nintendo and many 3P publishers do the same thing. It's no different than a hotel throwing in a few perks to a whale, if that gets the whale in a good mood to spend more at the establishment. As long as it's not completely tasteless in how it's done (and if it was as far as giving DF first dibs on new hardware and games, that's well within the reason of taste), I don't see the issue.

No, it's not worth it.

And this thread was the worst venue for anyone to bring up the "MS shills" point in the first place, this is the least likeliest of threads where that would have worked in the first place.

I don't even know what led to the post being dropped TBH, but it did seem kind of out of left-field because most discourse was (and should've been) focused on the content of the video. I didn't see a bunch of people suddenly accusing DF of being Sony shills ITT but, maybe I missed something 🤷‍♂️

It was Gears 5.
Kingthrash Kingthrash just pointed out that analysis wasn't much of an analysis, and got shit from DF supporters and DF them selves.

Well in the end basically John finally admitted reading straight from MS script for what was supposed to be "professional" analysis.

After this shit show John has kept clear of corp PR.

Well Kingthrash Kingthrash has his own issues with a few of his "analysis" but that's not the point of the thread so I won't go off into that.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

I think that could apply here. Not that Microsoft paid Digital Foundry anything but if they went all negative on Xbox (just an example) Microsoft wouldn't work with them in the future. It's very important for a site like Digital Foundry to get an extremely early look at the tech. They certainly don't want to loose that perk with any company.

Yep, that's part of the game basically, when you're in the press circuit and whatnot. Know where your bread is buttered and don't go too out-of-line else you lose the bread and the butter. It's always something at play when it comes to previews, reviews etc. from the big sites, and it's not just Microsoft who set that precedent: all the platform holders, and likely all the publishers, have a similar attitude.

They want any negative coverage to be presented as positively as possible, and the odd few who don't quite follow the general model might face things like getting blacklisted, or certain privileges revoked. Certain companies can implicitly enforce this better than others: Sony, for example, given their position in the industry, a reviewer might have more to lose if they get too overly critical and negative on the brand or do blatantly misleading reviews (tho in the case of the latter they prob deserve to lose certain access because of doing misleading coverage and reviews) compared to if they did so with another company.

That said, I strongly doubt any of these companies are outright "buying out" anyone and there's only so much they can throw out in terms of perks to select people. Also a general rule, those who rely on advertisers for their revenue are probably more likely to tow a certain, slightly less critical line than those who are sustained off of community funds or self-funded. I just don't think there's any singular examples to be had where outright blatant buying-off of clout or preferred coverage is happening, whether by Microsoft or any other company.

If that were happening I'd like to think a lot more whistleblowers would come forward with corroborative examples, and perhaps some outside investigations would be started up with the courts potentially getting involved. I know rules on propaganda got more laxed over the past decade (highly unfortunate), but the environment can't be so bad that blatant buy-offs are being pursued, especially by larger publishers or platform holders who risk losing more if it gets exposed.

Thebonehead

Banned
So... About those best graphics again.....

Hoping returnal comes out on PC.. looking forward to seeing that on my 3080 and 38" ultrawide

Well what's going on then specifically? All I seen was very very vague.

Well it's not like he's going to tell you that Greenburg gave Richard 100K to say only positive things about the Series X.

What he did say multiple times is that Microsoft wanted to sway Digital Foundry to be more favorable to them. He also said they couldn't get John in on the deal which leaves Richard and Alex. That's the information he gave us.

Edit: What he said about John specifically was that he wouldn't be bought. You don't necessarily need to buy something with money.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

R&C and Returnal gushing. At the end of the day, after all the talk and arguing and back and forth, Returnal awes and R&C is pretty much referred to as Pixar-like.
Reading through this thread... these facts aren't going down well for some.

I think the console with the best looking games switches in 2022 as Sony doesn't have any non cross gen games coming.

Hopefully by 2023 we have current gen only games to compare.

kingfey

Banned
Reading through this thread... these facts aren't going down well for some.

I think the console with the best looking games switches in 2022 as Sony doesn't have any non cross gen games coming.

Hopefully by 2023 we have current gen only games to compare.
Best looking would depend on the engine, which games are using.

So far, UE5 is the most impressive engine we have now.

Top Bottom