• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

kingfey

Banned
You mean the bugs? That's mostly the developers fault that they happen. It's up to them to release a game with good performance.
Bethesda engine is an old dinasour. It's why it has alot of bugs. Not only that, their engine is limited. It doesn't have a ladder function.

tommib

Post some more Returnal pics. That's my number 1 port beg.

large.jpg

Not buggy as cyberpunk2077. Still the game was phenomenal graphic wise.

Not disagreeing with you there just disagreeing that only Unreal Engine 5 can have the best looking games. Other developers such as ID Software or Naughty Dog will have some incredible looking games that won't use Unreal Engine 5.

Best looking would depend on the engine, which games are using.

So far, UE5 is the most impressive engine we have now.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Not disagreeing with you there just disagreeing that only Unreal Engine 5 can have the best looking games. Other developers such as ID Software or Naughty Dog will have some incredible looking games that won't use Unreal Engine 5.
I havent said that.
So far, UE5 is the most impressive engine we have now.
Since UE5 is the only engine we have for next gen as of now.

While ratchet and clank is very impressive, it doesnt hold a candle to what Matrix awakening demo have. That is just a sample of what UE5 can do as of now. Imagine what other engines are capable, once they are upgraded.

I havent said that.

While ratchet and clank is very impressive, it doesnt hold a candle to what Matrix awakening demo have. That is just a sample of what UE5 can do as of now. Imagine what other engines are capable, once they are upgraded.

Isn’t that the expectation? That games will look significantly better in year 4 of a console generation?

kingfey

Banned
Isn’t that the expectation? That games will look significantly better in year 4 of a console generation?
Yes. That is when engine's potential is being produced.

Last of us 2, forza horizon 5 on Xbox one, RD2, battlefield 5.

As the devs experiment on the engine, they will get more creative with it.

FrankWza

I clearly said Ratchet was a nice looking game Frank how did you get annoyed from that?

Nice looking and best looking game are a little different. What were you going to say? That it doesn’t look good. You’d sound completely foolish instead of 90% foolish
You can speculate all you want about the consoles I own but you DEFINITELY don't own a Series console yet you manage to find yourself in just about every Xbox thread to spread 'cheer'.
Coming from someone who derailed this very thread with bullshit? I normally don’t doubt what people say when claiming to own both systems because it’s only $500. But, if you are actually in possession of a PS5 you don’t really own it. You don’t use it or buy games for it because you’ve become accustomed to not paying for games and prefer a curated list that have been chosen for you.
The thing is you can always count on Frank to argue things in bad faith. You've seen him in action in just about every Xbox thread.
What’s an Xbox thread? An OT? Or are you talking about the gamepass ad threads or the series s ad threads? Youre the one with a comment doubting the list because 2 games that don’t belong weren’t on it. That’s bad faith.

Last edited:
I havent said that.

What makes you think there aren't already other next gen engines?

Maogp

Guardian of the Galaxy is definitely better than Returnal, that game is stunning.

I loved Returnal, but third place? Nah.

Ratchet deserves the first place, absolutely crazy graphics.

kingfey

Banned
"Since UE5 is the only engine we have for next gen as of now."

There are other next gen engines out there. And many of the older ones are updated for next gen systems like how Unreal Engine 4 turned into Unreal Engine 5.
Do they have the same visuals as UE5?

You saw hell blade 2, Stalker 2, matrix awakening demo.

We havent seen any engine, which can do these visuals. Closest we got is ratchet and returnal.

S0ULZB0URNE

I havent said that.

The posting is getting real dumb now.

No 3D platformer in gaming history even comes to R and C RA.

A argument can also be made that it could be the overall best period.

Do they have the same visuals as UE5?

You saw hell blade 2, Stalker 2, matrix awakening demo.

We havent seen any engine, which can do these visuals. Closest we got is ratchet and returnal.

Well Ratchet looks pretty next gen to me. Plus I'm sure Insomniac already updated the engine to take advantage of the PS5s hardware. As for Returnal while good looking it's based off Unreal Engine 4 if I'm not wrong.

It's also kind of hard to compare something that resembles a Pixar animated film to Hellblade 2 or Stalker 2. Ratchet is more easily compared with Pshychonauts 2 for example.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
lol, how about actually posting the transcript or the transcript overview with a few words changed in this thread so we have the full context. Being dumbly vague so you can act like an insider but still revealing you have the information is such a "leaker" thing to do. Stop trying to get off on clout. If you have the transcript and posted about it, its not like you can use the protecting the leaker excuse because that went away when you informed microsoft you had it.

Just post the exact info and stop being a snob about it. lol, look at people hyping you up as a "respectable" poster. Stop feeding into these guys ego.
You sound mad brother

Angry Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

kingfey

Banned
I am super impressed with Hellblade 2 but Demon's Souls looks as good if not better.

You must not play much games?
Demons souls doesnt come close to that.

The movements of that game seemed real. The way the environment in that game was close to real life. The clothes, the way the fire reacts.

That is definition of next gen. How much real to life can gaming be.

FrankWza

Reading through this thread... these facts aren't going down well for some.

I think the console with the best looking games switches in 2022 as Sony doesn't have any non cross gen games coming.

Hopefully by 2023 we have current gen only games to compare.
Sony has forspoken and Ghostwire but neither are going to push any graphics or tech boundaries. HFW will probably look better than both of those games. What’s scheduled to come out on another console that is going to be a graphical or tech showcase in 2022?

kingfey

Banned
Well Ratchet looks pretty next gen to me. Plus I'm sure Insomniac already updated the engine to take advantage of the PS5s hardware. As for Returnal while good looking it's based off Unreal Engine 4 if I'm not wrong.

It's also kind of hard to compare something that resembles a Pixar animated film to Hellblade 2 or Stalker 2. Ratchet is more easily compared with Pshychonauts 2 for example.
They will have to update their engine for spiderman 2 and wolverine.

Their miles Morales was much better than spiderman.

returnal was UE4. Like how gears 5 hive buster. Different is, the game was specifically for ps5, like how MS flight Sim for xsx/xss.

kingfey

Banned
Sony has forspoken and Ghostwire but neither are going to push any graphics or tech boundaries. HFW will probably look better than both of those games. What’s scheduled to come out on another console that is going to be a graphical or tech showcase in 2022?
STALKER 2.
The PC version will be much better, compared to XSX version.

My PC would be cooked alive, if I try to run that game.

S0ULZB0URNE

They will have to update their engine for spiderman 2 and wolverine.

Their miles Morales was much better than spiderman.

returnal was UE4. Like how gears 5 hive buster. Different is, the game was specifically for ps5, like how MS flight Sim for xsx/xss.
The engine is updated with Rachet as its current gen only.
Spider-Man 2 using it will benefit greatly.

S0ULZB0URNE

Horizon FW looks like it was scaled down already 😶
I guess we will find out soon.

Pedro Motta

Demons souls doesnt come close to that.

The movements of that game seemed real. The way the environment in that game was close to real life. The clothes, the way the fire reacts.

That is definition of next gen. How much real to life can gaming be.
Hellblade 2 although impressive visually, it hasn't much in terms of gameplay that really stand out. Actually, the Matrix tech demo has more gameplay elements embedded to it that the Hellblade 2 demo. And this is a fact.

FrankWza

Hellblade 2 although impressive visually, it hasn't much in terms of gameplay that really stand out. Actually, the Matrix tech demo has more gameplay elements embedded to it that the Hellblade 2 demo. And this is a fact.
Yeah that last trailer had gameplay that amounted to her stop and throwing the spear 2 times. That’s how the original was for the most part. Definitely not a gameplay focused game.

kingfey

Banned
That’s an Xbox exclusive? I thought it was short timed.

Even still, it will look better than forspoken and Ghostwire on PS5.
depends on what the contract is. Ps5 will come in 6 month.

The problem is, the game is a pc game. Consoles will have some issues with it.

kingfey

Banned
cant disagree with that. Matrix is an action game, so it needs more gameplay, compared to hell blade 2.

Top Bottom