• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

S0ULZB0URNE

Are you vfx veteran secondary account by any chance?!
xgTLfIV.gif

Nothing beats PC with him.
I am the exact opposite.

tommib

I want the next From game with this level of graphical fidelity in ~3-4 years. It´s too late for Elden Ring unfortunately.
Will never happen, sorry. This is what Bluepoint do. Making the most impeccable looking remakes. From creates original games and will never be able to dedicate their teams to make anything that resembles the Demon’s Souls Remake. They don’t have that kind of technical artistry. Maybe in a joint effort with Bluepoint.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
Will never happen, sorry. This is what Bluepoint do. Making the most impeccable looking remakes. From creates original games and will never be able to dedicate their teams to make anything that resembles the Demon’s Souls Remake. They don’t have that kind of technical artistry. Maybe in a joint effort with Bluepoint.
If isn't exclusive... it's not happening 😐

I´d not be so pessimistic. Demon`s Souls is a very early next gen game after all.
I think we`ll see a sharp rise in the median visual quality across the board this gen once tech like UE5`s Lumen and Nanite get a foothold, and while From never were tech magicians like Naughty Dog their games never looked "bad".

Last edited:

tommib

Lego Builders runs on XB1s and the frikken Switch.
Lol. Let’s all pretend that we care about Lego builders to begin with and that it’s not the first unity game with raytracing on PC. It’s all about the raytracing implementation.

But you’re right, I can play it on my iPhone on Apple Arcade. Now I just need to find a way to fit in an RTX 3090.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Lol. Let’s all pretend that we care about Lego builders to begin with and that it’s not the first unity game with raytracing on PC. It’s all about the raytracing implementation.

But you’re right, I can play it on my iPhone on Apple Arcade. Now I just need to find a way to fit in an RTX 3090.
In a thread thats purely about graphics then yes we care that Lego Builders is an absolutely stunning game that has a "lastgen" version and a truly nextgen version.

I think Returnal looks absolutely stunning....and some of those boss battles with all the particles flying around....next level shit.

But you could argue that even if we swapped Returnal and Lego Builders no one would really be upset.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would like to argue Demon's Souls looks like this and has less pop-in.

DeS looks great, but it doesn't quite look next-gen in the same way that R&C does IMO. Character models in DeS are kinda meh, there are PS4 games with better looking characters. R&C comes really close to actually looking like a Pixar movie (in cutscenes at least). Environments are great in both games, but still a bit better in R&C. Plus, RT at 60fps.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Lego Builder Jouney is the next best stuff after NV Marbles demo, say what you want but the Legos just feel so fucking real it's not even funny, I'm actually shocked the game barely gets any recognition at all when it comes to its visual representation.

Love seeing how The Ascent is getting recognized lately as well in the press tho, the amount of details and objects density is pretty much second to none.

Same for Kena, absolutely lovely looking game, polished more than many big budget AAA games with their inconsistency.

Sadly F.I.S.T. seems to be missing on this sorts of lists, while it's also a looker, it's certainly prettier than Metroid that's for sure.
I would put Ascent over Lego and Returnal. Lego is just so basic, it's like putting The Touryst at the second spot on the list just because it does 8k. It's literally just blocks.

Ascent has the amount of detail and object density that is simply peerless. I get that its a top down game, but so is Lego Builder and Ascent is simply in another league.

5633502c4d54318d19aae596cf68e2ad0f62bf0f.gifv

307c017df510c8e80e8c221e9b6daf3017a054a7.gifv

Bramble

I would put Ascent over Lego and Returnal. Lego is just so basic, it's like putting The Touryst at the second spot on the list just because it does 8k. It's literally just blocks.

Ascent has the amount of detail and object density that is simply peerless. I get that its a top down game, but so is Lego Builder and Ascent is simply in another league.

5633502c4d54318d19aae596cf68e2ad0f62bf0f.gifv

307c017df510c8e80e8c221e9b6daf3017a054a7.gifv

These are cutscenes. Doesn't look like that while playing.

S0ULZB0URNE

DeS looks great, but it doesn't quite look next-gen in the same way that R&C does IMO. Character models in DeS are kinda meh, there are PS4 games with better looking characters. R&C comes really close to actually looking like a Pixar movie (in cutscenes at least). Environments are great in both games, but still a bit better in R&C. Plus, RT at 60fps.
In It's own way it looks current gen.
I am not saying which looks better but both are tops in each respective category.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I want the next From game with this level of graphical fidelity in ~3-4 years. It´s too late for Elden Ring unfortunately.
In a perfect world Bluepoint and From would be one studio

I still think Bluepoint will impress with their try at a new IP though

Velius

Banned
Congratulations to Insomniac- outstanding, true Next Gen effort on their part.

The Ascent is in some ways just as good. Great list, great year for Ray Tracing!

PerfectDark

Banned
As a gamer since the first Nintendo. I would say another shity year. Shity games, shity devs, ruining gaming. Every big game a bust/unfinished/broken.

Console online destroyed by MS and devs forcing all console players to play against PC.

Next gen consoles that put out games that look last gen.

Top Bottom