• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry's Best Game Graphics of 2021 - PC, Xbox, PlayStation - Another Amazing Year!

Topher

Gold Member
donald-glover-pizza.gif

Is this still a graphics thread?

Yeah, I'd say things have become rather graphic....

Rooster Teeth Hair GIF by Achievement Hunter

This is the crux of it.

From what I've seen Microsoft gave them access a lot earlier than Sony did. Maybe this is what he meant not exactly bribing Digital Foundry but giving them access a lot earlier. That could be a way to make them feel like they owe Microsoft something.

Topher

Gold Member
From what I've seen Microsoft gave them access a lot earlier than Sony did. Maybe this is what he meant not exactly bribing Digital Foundry but giving them access a lot earlier. That could be a way to make them feel like they owe Microsoft something.

Sounds to me like MS paid for DF to lavish praise for Xbox One X.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As in someone from upper management at Xbox fed HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 bad information on purpose. No idea what the point of that would be though.
Bribing sounds so sinister :)

I have always used the same wording anytime I brought this up because its the exact wording used by the greenest of the rats

We targeted DF to be pro Xbox and it started with the Xbox One X reveal

I will not give other specifics here

And feeding me bad info is way different then friends chatting back in forth while waiting on a raid or something along those lines

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: XTA

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm repeating what HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 said.

"they were just swayed to be more pro Xbox"

What's your problem now?

200.gif

Just taking a piss, and reiterating that we're throwing out these statements without any factual evidence to back it up, don't worry no disrespect intended :D

Kind of a slippery slope if you ask me ..

And feeding me bad info is way different then friends chatting back in forth while waiting on a raid or something along those lines

Wait, so all this is based on something you heard from someone while playing an online game ?

I mean come on now lol, I thought you at least had some kind of an internal communication memo or email to base that off of.

That's just makes it even less likelier than 0% now lol.

Last edited:
Supposedly they did....

This would have been fine if DF had just declared their analysis of Xbox One X was a paid promotion. Providing that analysis in the guise of independent journalist coverage is disingenuous at best. Obviously this does not mean every game analysis done by DF is suspect and their even coverage of the games suggests that is not the case, imo.

In the back of my mind, I'm wondering who else Microsoft has paid for positive coverage. Somehow I doubt this is an isolated case.

This is nothing new, and it's been in the industry for decades in one form or another. Microsoft, Sony, even Nintendo, not to mention various 3P publishers, they all have had their share in "sweetening the pot" for various members of the press or influencers. There's even ancient examples like Team 17 (an Amiga developer) getting one of their last games shat on by a magazine because said magazine wasn't given a CD32 unit for free to test and review on.

It's possible Microsoft might be more 'guilty' of this than the other platform holders considering the funk the Xbox brand was in for a lot of last gen, combined with Xbox as a brand not having as much built-in nostalgia as Sony or especially Nintendo (where, in those cases, you can count on overly passionate loyalty that can sometimes come off as shilling, all for free). That much we can agree on. However, it's also important to remember that this incident being referred to, this was way back in 2017, and probably a one-time proposition, the likes of which we don't even know how it played out. We also don't know if the people at Xbox division who wanted to do this, had the approval from higher-ups to do so, as they may've tried making the offer and, barring it went through, then spring it as a surprise to higher-ups at the division.

What's more important here is that it's very unlikely Xbox division's pursuits went any further than that one time, I highly doubt they made the offer like they were mafia bosses (it was likely much more subdued and formal than that, and likely not even kicked about directly i.e not directly referenced), and outside of the typical endorsing of sponsored content that has to have the status disclosed by influencers anyway, I very much doubt the division is doing the type of thing being referred to ITT, at present time (or at least I hope they aren't).

That said, are there things the division could do to not incidentally play into the image of buying out influencers? Yes! For starters, maybe cut back from having guys like Aaron go on certain podcasts that, entertaining on their own, I also know are known to stir the pot of fanboyism and console warring (and have pushed out certain FUD in the past regarding PlayStation). And as much as I believe in GamePass, maybe there's one too many articles out praising it for its value? They're usually also coincidentally around the holiday period so, there's that, too. Maybe there should be more articles talking specifically about key games that also happen to be in the service, like FH5 and Halo Infinite, and even if they're coming from places like Forbes they can get people who talk about them just on the strengths of the games..and hopefully not with clickbait titles.

If all this talk about MS/DF just leads to more accusations of MS buying off influence (especially with the mindset that Sony or even Nintendo don't partially do it themselves), and people dismissing Digital Foundry even moreso no matter what while trying to prop up known disingenuous, fanboy content masquerading as "analysis" when that content has people who don't even play 4% of a game, then was bringing up the claim that a buy-off of DF for influence...in a thread where their video is praising PS5 games no less....was it honestly even worth it?

Fredrik

Sure, but that doesn't excuse any of it. Like I said above, the only thing done wrong here, imo, is that the coverage done by DF on Xbox One X was not disclosed as a paid promotion. Same applies to all companies and if they are found out to be engaging in bribery, as it were, then their reputations take a hit. I don't think we should go down the road of "well they all do it so it is ok".
It doesn’t excuse it and it’s not okay but it is what it is, I’m pretty sure they all do it and it’s happening in all industries. But it’s usually easy to see a bias shine through, it’s no different than hearing someone talk here and most posters here are like an open book including myself. It is what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Although, a time like this is kinda confusing, ultra PC fan Alex is suddenly gushing over a PS5 exclusive, Returnal! That’s surprising, no hidden jabs or anything, well maybe that short bit about that it’ll likely come to PC but it was mostly genuine excitement from what I could tell. 👍

Honestly I think it means giving Digital Foundry first dibs on the consoles before anyone else. By doing that they can make Digital Foundry feel like Microsoft is treating them well so they will side with them more. At least that's what I think happened.

Not that Microsoft dropped a fat sack of cash on Digital Foundry's doorstep in exchange for positive impressions.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If all this talk about MS/DF just leads to more accusations of MS buying off influence (especially with the mindset that Sony or even Nintendo don't partially do it themselves), and people dismissing Digital Foundry even moreso no matter what while trying to prop up known disingenuous, fanboy content masquerading as "analysis" when that content has people who don't even play 4% of a game, then was bringing up the claim that a buy-off of DF for influence...in a thread where their video is praising PS5 games no less....was it honestly even worth it?

No, it's not worth it.

And this thread was the worst venue for anyone to bring up the "MS shills" point in the first place, this is the least likeliest of threads where that would have worked in the first place.

I'm sure Kingtrash did a hit piece on them at the time of Gears Ultimate, I don't know what people expected them to say
It was Gears 5.
Kingthrash Kingthrash just pointed out that analysis wasn't much of an analysis, and got shit from DF supporters and DF them selves.

Well in the end basically John finally admitted reading straight from MS script for what was supposed to be "professional" analysis.

After this shit show John has kept clear of corp PR.

Sounds to me like MS paid for DF to lavish praise for Xbox One X.

"Don't bite the hand that feeds you"

I think that could apply here. Not that Microsoft paid Digital Foundry anything but if they went all negative on Xbox (just an example) Microsoft wouldn't work with them in the future. It's very important for a site like Digital Foundry to get an extremely early look at the tech. They certainly don't want to loose that perk with any company.

avin

Bribing sounds so sinister :)

I have always used the same wording anytime I brought this up because its the exact wording used by the greenest of the rats

I will not give other specifics here

MS targeting DF with a desired outcome in mind isn't the same thing as DF actually violating their own editorial independence and integrity. I'm sure both Sony and MS try to do these things. The question is whether you have evidence that they succeeded substantially.

If what I quoted is all you're going to say, this is a big thread about nothing.

avin

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I'm not saying anything, it's up to individual users to believe what they want to believe.

The above picture is just as credible as anything else I've read in this topic today.
Dont try to argue with anyone here.
End the conversation here, and enjoy your holiday. The more argue you with them, the more shit it will get.

tommib

Still unsure if what’s happening in this thread is progress in getting over console warring or not. On one hand I don’t see 400% zoom screenshots of a tree leaf and/or 1 fps drop graphs; on the other we’re discussing industry bribery on a best graphics thread…

Anyway, here’s a Returnal screenshot:

I0oEkJ0.jpg

kingfey

Banned
Still unsure if what’s happening in this thread is progress in getting over console warring or not. On one hand I don’t see 400% zoom screenshots of a tree leaf and/or 1 fps drop graphs; on the other we’re discussing industry bribery on a best graphics thread…

I0oEkJ0.jpg
People got too emotional.

and dang, this game is lit. I wish I had my ps5 soon. I am still unable to find one.

I wonder how the new spiderman will look.

I0oEkJ0.jpg

Looks great. I'm going to get back to Death Stranding. Very good looking game IMO even though it isn't elegible for this list.

avin

I'm not saying anything, it's up to individual users to believe what they want to believe.

The above picture is just as credible as anything else I've read in this topic today.
Oh come off it. I surely believe HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 actually saw something. As near as I can tell, it indicates companies spend money on goodwill, which I believe we all knew. Now, they wouldn't spend the money if they didn't believe it worked. But places like DF wouldn't take the money unless they believed they could do it and still retain their integrity.

It seems a nothingburger. Or, as it's called around here, a Heisenberger.

avin

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
It was Gears 5.
Kingthrash Kingthrash just pointed out that analysis wasn't much of an analysis, and got shit from DF supporters and DF them selves.

Well in the end basically John finally admitted reading straight from MS script for what was supposed to be "professional" analysis.

After this shit show John has kept clear of corp PR.

How he expected them to do a full analysis when they were in the Coalition's studio I don't know.

Last edited:

tommib

Looks great. I'm going to get back to Death Stranding. Very good looking game IMO even though it isn't elegible for this list.
Looks so good on the Director’s Cut but the game itself loses me after a while. I hate all the package micromanagement. I really only play it for the eye candy.

Riky

$MSFT
Then they should tell it was a promotion instead.
How is it, they went to the studio and were given the details on the game, they had no chance in that situation of running a full analysis.
They then went through what they were told by The Coalition, none of which proved to be false.
For some idiot to then attack them for that is pathetic, probably jealousy that nobody on the industry would ever take his channel seriously.

How is it, they went to the studio and were given the details on the game, they had no chance in that situation of running a full analysis.
They then went through what they were told by The Coalition, none of which proved to be false.
For some idiot to then attack them for that is pathetic, probably jealousy that nobody on the industry would ever take his channel seriously.
There were straight out lies and convenient omition on essential info.

assurdum

Banned
No, that's not how it works. When we get leaks in order to protect the leak we get information and that information verified by a mod. We don't get the actual receipts. The information here is that MS went after DF to buy favourable coverage for the xbox and John was the least likely to be bought. You can choose not to accept that but it is what it is.

He says that they did.
shocked philip j fry GIF

assurdum

Banned
You said DF lied, what about?
Well in the last COD analysis, if I remember right, they said FPS issue on ps5 was caused because GPU is less powerful. VGTech later reported such FPS hitching were basically a bug. Though it's always Tom behind such imprecise incompetent assessment.

Last edited:

Boglin

Did you miss my post earlier where I said he has a history of leaking information that has proven to be correct? That's why he has more credibility than your example.

Riky

$MSFT
Well in the last COD analysis, if I remember right, they said FPS issue on ps5 was caused because GPU is less powerful. VGTech layer discovered such FPS hitching were basically a bug. Though it's always Tom behind such imprecise incompetent assessment.

Quote in the article where it says that or timestamp it please.

Top Bottom