• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Fundry: Wo Long Fallen Dynasty- PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S vs Last-Gen Consoles!

Banned
The video mentioned flickering shadows and freezes (XSX) on series consoles along with total absence of shadow maps and ambiant occlusion in some scenes. Can i ask why those aren't mentioned in the summary?

the shadow maps are the same on PS5, learn english maybe and then watch the video again.

the flickering shadows were a bug that could happen on PS5 as well if played enough. bugs are usually hard to reproduce. same with the freeze

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The video mentioned flickering shadows and freezes (XSX) on series consoles along with total absence of shadow maps and ambiant occlusion in some scenes. Can i ask why those aren't mentioned in the summary?
I wrote the summary and must have missed it because I was typing/editing as I was watching the video. If you can timestamp the video, that'd be great and I can edit my summary.

AnotherOne

Another one

How does this run like this lol.
PKkbp84.gif

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Series S....I guess you get what you pay for. 900p....ooof thems Xbox One numbers there.

PC is absolutely horrendous btw. Even on a 4090...set to 120fps there are weird sections where the game literally runs in slow motion. No joke...it's basically Bullet Time from Max Payne.

I don't have an explanation and most of the time it runs....ok. However, in a game where your timing is everything, hitches like this are UNFORGIVABLE.

T4keD0wN

This game really is something when it comes to performance. I like the gameplay but the game is an absolute disaster when from the technical aspects. I dont get how a game like this can be so heavy on the GPU.
PC is absolutely horrendous btw. Even on a 4090...set to 120fps there are weird sections where the game literally runs in slow motion. No joke...it's basically Bullet Time from Max Payne.
Lol, that might actually give me an advantage in fights. Havent played long enough to encounter it myself yet.

The console current gen versions are almost as bad as the pc one. I get double (sometimes more) the framerate in metro exodus enhanced edition on ultra when using the prioritize resolution in wo long because the prioritize fps makes this game look like vaseline.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This game really is something when it comes to performance. I like the gameplay but the game is an absolute disaster when from the technical aspects. I dont get how a game like this can be so heavy on the GPU.

Lol, that might actually give me an advantage in fights. Havent played long enough to encounter it myself yet.

The console current gen versions are almost as bad as the pc one. I get double (sometimes more) the framerate in metro exodus enhanced edition on ultra when using the prioritize resolution in wo long because the prioritize fps makes this game look like vaseline.
I think it comes from doing too much in the game maybe? Like I'm running down trash mobs and running, dashing everywhere as I've become quite synced with the timing of most enemies attacks to parry almost everything. But I notice if I keep going at that pace the game just starts to drag. Like it's loading something, it's very strange.

I haven't tried it in the prioritize resolution mode. I would imagine it wouldn't fix the issue, maybe exasperate it actually, but since I started in prioritize FPS mode, I just accepted the visuals for what they were. Proably the wrong move honestly.

Banned
What the heck is going on with the Series S? It's already showing it's age.

developers not giving a shit, that's what's happening.
many aspects of that port make no sense.

what very clearly happened here is the devs just giving the Series S the same settings as last gen, then adjusting the resolution until they hit 60fps.
not much more went into that port.

Last edited:

Bojji

developers not giving a shit, that's what's happening.
many aspects of that port make no sense.

what very clearly happened here is the devs just giving the Series S the same settings as last gen, then adjusting the resolution until they hit 60fps.
not much more went into that port.

You expect better ports for series s in the future? Devs won't give a fuck about this console when PS5 is outselling Xbox series 2:1 and half this Xbox number is retarded model needing special treatment.

BbMajor7th

Gotta say, this isn't the fault of Series S - this should be a comfortable 1080/60-1440/30. This game isn't doing anything Nioh wasn't doing and that game can run 1080/120 locked on PS5. God knows what happened to TN's engine since then.

Last edited:

Banned
You expect better ports for series s in the future? Devs won't give a fuck about this console when PS5 is outselling Xbox series 2:1 and half this Xbox number is retarded model needing special treatment.

I don't expect anything from modern game development practices.

but the fact is it's the developers faul that this game looks like this on Series S.
and I think that should be called out more. somehow everyone just lets them get away with that and shrug it off with "well it's the cheap console".

and this mentality also influences the higher end hardware, we do see how games, that wouldn't even look good as last gen games and don't do anything ambitious, still run like ass on high end PC and the big consoles.

the development mentality seems to be "it runs guys, just leave it like this" and if it doesn't run "turn on dynamic res and push it out the door guys"

Last edited:

Quixz

Japanese graphics programmers and engineers are embarrassingly incompetent. It's not just an isolated cases of certain developers it's simply an industry-wide incompetence.
100% - I Said something similar a few threads back, the games look and run horribly!

I don't expect anything from modern game development practices.

but the fact is it's the developers faul that this game looks like this on Series S.
and I think that should be called out more. somehow everyone just lets them get away with that and shrug it off with "well it's the cheap console".

and this mentality also influences the higher end hardware, we do see how games, that wouldn't even look good as last gen games and don't do anything ambitious, still run like ass on high end PC and the big consoles.

the development mentality seems to be "it runs guys, just leave it like this" and if it doesn't run "turn on dynamic res and push it out the door guys"
I mean the devs could just outright skip the console (Series S) if its that much of a problem for them with such little financial return.

This is a situation MS created not the devs.

So let me get this straight ....1260p in performance mode and 1440p in resolution mode ...on next gen systems ...

Meanwhile nioh 2 is 4k/60. Wasn't nioh 2 also 1440p/60 when it was on ps4 pro?! So now we're on a new generation and performance mode is lower res than a similar game on the ps4 pro?!

This is pathetic but at the same time is further proof of how the new consoles are weak because if they could've they would've brute forced higher resolutions here.

Another disappointing turn out

Series S.... ooof.
And why even bother the devs with last gen consoles.

Also, seems like performance mode on ps5 is redundant. res mode is mostly 60 aside from finisher moves and that is vrr covered

Res mode isn't redundant if it at least gives us 1440p because 1260p looks pretty bad on a 4k TV. 1440p doesn't look amazing but at least provides a bit better iq.

Either way a pathetic result considering Nioh 2 is 4k/60 on ps5

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
  • Series S is different.
  • Resolution Mode runs at 900p at 30 FPS with uneven frame pacing.
  • Performance Mode runs at 900p at 60 FPS with a relatively more aggressive DRS.
  • Textures, shadows, cloth physics, textures, fire effects, draw distances, particle effects are all downgraded on the Series S -- which is similar to the last-gen experience.

Frustrated World Cup GIF

Lysandros

Japanese graphics programmers and engineers are embarrassingly incompetent. It's not just an isolated cases of certain developers it's simply an industry-wide incompetence.
What's that to do with being Japanese especially? There are plenty of western developed games that are badly optimized an run poorly at release and Japanese games with good optimization/engines. If this is indeed a 'industry wide' problem, it is so regardless of specific nationality/ethnicity. No need to add prejudices into the picture.

CGNoire

So once again Series S = PS4 quality settings 900p/30fps

Microsoft really fucked us enthusiasts over. Cant wait for there competitor to PS6 having a 10 TF optional sku in "2030".

This gen's post mortem interviews with AAA devs will reveal what an albatross that console is....of course bye then its too late.

CGNoire

this is what happens when you practically release a machine with lastgen amounts of memory

this is why most devs complain, they simply do not want to create a special subset of textures tailored for lower memory.
...and what happens when we go from what was normal for 6 generations straight of a 16x increase in ram to only a 2x. Shit was scary to see revealed. I was like "what have they done".

yamaci17

Currently playing Sekiro and that's a goddamn pretty game! I compare it to this game and, well, seems like devs were definitely struggling with schedule and management because whomever works on the game industry isn't incompetent nor lazy given the amount of talent and dedication it needs to even get in.

Current game engines handle texture resolution and quality automatically, that's why you just put in the best version of your texture and it scales it down, devs don't have to create new sets of textures because of memory limitations, wtf are you talking about? And I fail to remember but don't you know a lot about these stuff? I'll assume you're just trolling. Hell, even if your engine is not capable of some basic automation like that, you can always resize in batches using photoshop... or even manually, you never have to create "another set of textures", not even Switch ports require that...
im not trolling, no. "automatic" handling usually means game will load super low res n64 like textures once the budget is exceeded

for the photoshop resizing thing, that's the problem. they would have to pack them as seperate textures in the game install or make it an option. that kind of move would breath life into low VRAM GPUs and cause them to be relevant for the end of the generation. they'd never want to do that. they never did that for 2 gig gtx 770 cards. how else would NV force people to buy their newer cards? logically you would think they'd NOW have to do that for Series S. but clearly WO LONG devs do not care.

forza 5 and halo infintie has special subset of textures that look allright on lower VRAM buffers, and you can guess why.

it is doable, but not every dev would like to do it. worse is, NV would actively discourage most devs from doing this.

being only 1-1.5 gb shy of required 3-3.5 gb vram for ultra textures in rdr2 meant that you're forced to play with these textures;

reducing textures "one notch" makes them so horrible to a point they look worse than ps4 in ac valhalla;

and this much "destruction" of textures only yields a meager 800 mb of vram saved. clearly the game does not have a special subset of textures for its texture setting. its a blatant compression made automatically by their engines.

spiderman is even worse. "one notch" below "very high" textures to "high" textures make the textures look like DOGWATER compared to freaking PS4.

im simply recounting what kind of experience you had lastgen when you simply did not have enough VRAM. and what I see on Series S is pretty much what most people with limited VRAM buffer experienced. huge sacrifices on texture resolution just to save a couple hundred megs of vram here and there and at best 1-2 gigs.

some games do scale gracefully, as I said, like forza horizon 4/5 and a plague tale requiem. these games have special subset of textures that you can clearly see and notice. lower texture settings in this game looks worse than ultra textures but they still look respectably good enough.

but most other devs dont and wont bother doing this as you can see from this example. most engines use blatant downscaling that cripples the actual texture or most engines simply reduce the streaming pool size which ends up loading n64 textures like Forspoken.

Series S is practically a console that clashes with the ideals of Huang Jensen. The reason jensen pushed 8 gb on so much midrange cards is because eventually they'd have to play with dogshit textures. Now Series S is a serious threat at this plan, I'm sure devs are also conflicted on what to do.

he pushed 2 gb 770s and 2 gb 960s in an era where ps4 and xbox one boasted 8 gb total memory (5.5 gb usable for gpu operations. maybe 3.5-4 gb of it used for gpu operations)

he knew that once games start to fully utilize that 5.5 gb memory buffer, 2 gig cards would go obsolete and push people to buy shiny new Pascals and Maxwells. his plan worked. people mass abandoned their Kepler 770s and 780s due to having to play with dogshit textures all of a sudden, despite arkham knight and rise of tomb raider proved that good looking textures were indeed possible on 2 GB buffer. most devs never looked back and moved on. from that point on, you had to have a minimum of 3.5 gb vram to match consoles in terms of texture clarity, or you would have to adhere to dogshit textures in MAJORITY of the games.

now imagine if a 4 GB console existed in 2014. that console would a) force devs to create special subset of textures for a lower amount of budget that looks respectably good which would inevitably breath life to the all 2 GB GPU owners

and that would simply clash with the idea of planned obsolence.

I hope you get my point. I like Series S as an idea, but these devs and NVIDIA do not. I'm not saying its not doable. look at wo long. it literally loads n64 like textures. rdr2 looks better than while working with a lower budget. its a blatant in engine compression. if they actually do care for Series S userbase, they should create subset of textures.

Last edited:
Top Bottom