• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitally preorder Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II to play the full Campaign up to a week before launch, starting October 20, 2022

clarky

Gold Member
emmm NO ?!
Digital is a waste of money. You get shafted higher price, no borrow/lend/sell, can get hacked, game patched with music or content removal... nope. Physical on console is so much much better.
80% of the market disagrees with you.

Fuck having a load of plastic boxes lying about, ive got enough of those in the loft, plus im a lazy bastard i couldn't even comprehend having to get off my arse and move 6 ft to play a different game, only to find the disc isnt in the right box, the dogs been at it or i forgot id lent it to a mate.

Get with the times old man.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
80% of the market disagrees with you.

Fuck having a load of plastic boxes lying about, ive got enough of those in the loft, plus im a lazy bastard i couldn't even comprehend having to get off my arse and move 6 ft to play a different game, only to find the disc isnt in the right box, the dogs been at it or i forgot id lent it to a mate.
Then 80% of the market is wrong. It's not going to change my mind.
I prefer to own something and have at least minimal control over it, in comparison to owning nothing.
It's better on pc/steam since there are a lot of key resellers and you have access to game files... but that didn't stop rockstar for example from removing gta4 music and adding launcher requirement to my 10yo purchase...

I am lazy to but changing the disc every few days (since I dont juggle games) Is simple. I don't even have to get off my chair... ps5 is RIGHT HERE.
I can play and install offline which is better than nothing even if I can't install a patch offline (you could on 360!!! cmon sony)
And the environmental aspect also is nonsense really. Nobody throws away games. They just sit on shelves. Server farms are not great either.

Anyway - it's not THAT big of a difference nowadays but consoles have more way to go when it comes to key availability and prices

clarky

Gold Member
And the environmental also is nonsense really. Nobody throws away games. They just sit on shelves.
E.T says hello.

Seriously though each to their own. You're a dying breed, even physical collectors editions these days have started coming with a download code( cant get my head around that one).

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
or i could buy a used disc at a discount at a later date and play it then. i'm in no rush.
This amazing opportunity to play COD "early" is obviously not aimed at you.

There a few games started doing this "early" access nonsense though when in reality its just holding the game back for everyone else. Cant say im a fan. Surprised its not caught on with the rest of the big pubs.

Hmmm, I'm curious if playing the campaign a week before "launch" still qualifies you for just dropping the pre order on Steam once you're through it xD

MikeM

I know cross play and all but if they would just allow cross play between consoles and exclude PC I would just stay on PS5 but I hate this turning cross play off keeps you on like Xbox only
That would be huge. Does disabling crossplay on PS5 make it PS5 only?

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
No Way Meme GIF

Physical all day.

0neAnd0nly

Gold Member
I know cross play and all but if they would just allow cross play between consoles and exclude PC I would just stay on PS5 but I hate this turning cross play off keeps you on like Xbox only

Yes x10000000000000000

These friggin people that want “CrOsS pLaY oNlY” don’t realize how friggin effed console players are against competitive PC players in a FPS.

Console only cross play PLEASE.

MikeM

Thats how it worked that last time I played Vanguard MP it forced me in the Xbox ecosystem only when I turned it off
Just looked it up and seems to be accurate. I guess you should buy on the platform that we expect there to be the most people on in your area if disabling crossplay.

This is actually quite an interesting move.

I wonder if this is an attempt to get the campaign completition % up from people that purchase the game.

The games usually have fairly high quality campaigns but less than 20% usually play/finish the campaign.
I'd bet you the story has some content that they're hoping to generate word-of-mouth "holy crap you have to see this!" conversation, too. Drive up sales and hype on people who aren't already going to buy it for the MP.

I've heard, I'm only there for the mp, and mw19 sucked for that
yoo wen GIF

Lol jk

That's fair and your opinion. I thought MW MP was great.

Question: Do you prefer the Treyarch (Black Ops) games for MP? I find that people who dislike MW MP prefer those and want to gather more data.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Why do you prefer MP on series x? I'm in the same boat and want to buy MW2 for the best console.
Most of the people I game online with are mostly on Xbox but have all my original stats from all the early CODs on PS (plus I want to see how that Dualsense feels in the campaign)

But I love my pro style controllers I have on Xbox for MP

Last edited:

MikeM

Most of the people I game online with are mostly on Xbox but have all my original stats from all the early CODs on PS (plus I want to see how that Dualsense feels in the campaign)

But I love my pro style controllers I have on Xbox for MP
Could always buy a scuf pro ps5 controller 😉

Saber

Gold Member
Sounds stupid to me imo.

Better just wait and get the physical, and only if the game gets interesting.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sounds stupid to me imo.

Better just wait and get the physical, and only if the game gets interesting.
To be fair because it's a big launch most online retailers will ship early to meet demand for release day with a " deliver on or after" date.
The postman will, like they always do not give a shit and just deliver it.
With MW2019 I got a shipping notice the Thursday before release & had it Saturday morning 6 days before release.
Vanguard I only got a day before but it wasn't as big of release compared to MW2019.
I'd imagine this will be the same.
But yeah most big releases you do get a chance of getting them really early if the pre-orders are big.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The only thing i give a fuck about is the zombie mode.

Cold war was the best in years. 200 plus hours..

The last one was absolute sheit.
The new one lacks it.
What a waste

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
That nice I guess, I wont be getting it digitally though.

On a slight tangent I wonder if COD games will continue to trade blows visually between XSX and PS5 if MS do buy Acti-Blizz.
Or Ms find out that IW or the other cod devs can have higher dynamic res and fps in some sections on PS5, will ms be like "what are you doing, lock the PS5 below the xsx at all times.."

While I enjoy the mp, and some versions more than others, I have never completed a COD Campaign.

You're missing out imo. They're not like cinematic masterpieces or anything but they're a lot of fun, with high quality setpieces, decent enough story, and generally pretty good characters and voice acting. Plus the COD gameplay is very good, and in today's gaming landscape having a campaign that isn't 20+ hours of bloat is a huge positive in my book. Short to medium length games need to start making a comeback

Three

I wonder if this is an attempt to get the campaign completition % up from people that purchase the game.

The games usually have fairly high quality campaigns but less than 20% usually play/finish the campaign.
Maybe it's a way of getting people to drop $70 for a last gen version of a game before the multiplayer is offered 'for free'. Anyway, bizarre to see some of the same people moaning about $70 games seem so excited by the prospect of paying $70 to preorder a game.

supernova8

Banned
Will preorder the day before, but sounds good to me.

Fuck giving anyone an interest free loan, its not like they'll run out of stock is it?
Haha yeah exactly. Finance 101 - money now is worth more than money later so if anything people should be getting a discount.

supernova8

Banned
Seriously though each to their own. You're a dying breed, even physical collectors editions these days have started coming with a download code( cant get my head around that one).

Haha wait a minute I was with you on complaining about giving them a free loan but you're not interested in the extremely valuable ability (that comes with owning a physical copy) to sell/trade a game once you're done with it?

Season 4 What GIF by The Office
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA

clarky

Gold Member
Haha wait a minute I was with you on complaining about giving them a free loan but you're not interested in the extremely valuable ability (that comes with owning a physical copy) to sell/trade a game once you're done with it?

Season 4 What GIF by The Office
Chicago Bulls What GIF by NBA
I never sell games on. i have a massive collection of plastic boxes in the loft like i said. I also have a fairly large steam library which is much more convenient.

Last edited:

Jaybe

I’ll play the campaign when it hits game pass. Whether that’s this year or in 3 years, at some point it’s coming.

jaysius

Banned
OR don’t order at all, wait for the Boxing Day sales or maybe a few weeks after release Black Friday sales and get it then for cheaper.

dragons' den no GIF by CBC

supernova8

Banned
I never sell games on. i have a massive collection of plastic boxes in the loft like i said. I also have a fairly large steam library which is much more convenient.
Hmm well I suppose if you think it's worth keeping each and every one (in case you might want to play it again in the future) then fair enough. It's a judgment call after all.

Personally, my steam library (not massive but mostly unplayed, about 100 games in total) made it clear to me that I'm the type of person that has to play one game solid and then only move on when I'm really done... otherwise I'll never finish any games. Maybe I just have a terrible attention span. Plus I think I bought a lot of those 100 games because (a) they were sale super cheap at the time and/or (b) I'm still plagued by enjoying "retail therapy" (I'm one of those people who buys more and more books to make himself feel better about never actually reading any books.)

So yeah my strategy has been to buy physical copies, make sure I beat them or at least get (what I think is) my money's worth of fun out of them and sell them. It works quite well for the biggert first party Nintendo Switch games because they almost never go on sale (here in Japan) so when I'm done I can often sell a game for not that much less than what I paid for it.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Hmm well I suppose if you think it's worth keeping each and every one (in case you might want to play it again in the future) then fair enough. It's a judgment call after all.

Personally, my steam library (not massive but mostly unplayed, about 100 games in total) made it clear to me that I'm the type of person that has to play one game solid and then only move on when I'm really done... otherwise I'll never finish any games. Maybe I just have a terrible attention span. Plus I think I bought a lot of those 100 games because (a) they were sale super cheap at the time and/or (b) I'm still plagued by enjoying "retail therapy" (I'm one of those people who buys more and more books to make himself feel better about never actually reading any books.)

So yeah my strategy has been to buy physical copies, make sure I beat them or at least get (what I think is) my money's worth of fun out of them and sell them. It works quite well for the biggert first party Nintendo Switch games because they almost never go on sale (here in Japan) so when I'm done I can often sell a game for not that much less than what I paid for it.
Each to their own mate.:messenger_fistbump:

Last edited:

mcmanic

emmm NO ?!
Digital is a waste of money. You get shafted higher price, no borrow/lend/sell, can get hacked, game patched with music or content removal... nope. Physical on console is so much much better.
Digital is great for game sharing with my son , we both pay half the cost we both can play at same time or separately, much cheaper than a disc which cannot be shared and played at same time at full price

rofif

Banned
Digital is great for game sharing with my son , we both pay half the cost we both can play at same time or separately, much cheaper than a disc which cannot be shared and played at same time at full price
you can play digital shared game on two accounts at the same time ?

FeldMonster

Will preorder the day before, but sounds good to me.

Fuck giving anyone an interest free loan, its not like they'll run out of stock is it?
In terms of your opportunity cost, how many nano-cents are you earning on your 7 day, $60 dollar investment that this actually matters? 0.00003?

Edit: Also it isn't a loan. You are getting the campaign.

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Why would they care about that, at all?

The reason is that digital copies save the publisher on packaging, printing, and transportation costs, along with fewer used physical copies available in the wild, thus further increasing sales via larger/longer tail. And I don't mind, I can't even fathom buying a physical game, and haven't for at least 7 years, and used game stores like Gamestop anger me with their predatory pricing. I would mich rather the money go to the IP holder.

anthony2690

Banned
Why would they care about that, at all?

The reason is that digital copies save the publisher on packaging, printing, and transportation costs, along with fewer used physical copies available in the wild, thus further increasing sales via larger/longer tail. And I don't mind, I can't even fathom buying a physical game, and haven't for at least 7 years, and used game stores like Gamestop anger me with their predatory pricing. I would mich rather the money go to the IP holder.
Well because the developers put a lot of effort into the campaign, they spend years of their life making this experience that 80% off COD players never even boot up or check out/beat.

Obviously if that is all you can play for a week, you'll probably play through it and look forward to the multiplayer, what most people play these games for :)

Kupfer

Digitally preorder Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II to play the full Campaign up to a week before launch​

Interested Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

Ahhhhem no.

I don't engage in the tactic of putting pressure on those who suffer from FOMO to go for a full price 70€ rental license. I no longer need to be able to have my say in the schoolyard.
Shame on you Activision

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

That's crazy that if you pre-order the physical version, they don't care about you. Reason 2 million why you should tell these Publishers to suck a dick and not pre-order shit.

Top Bottom