• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitally preorder Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II to play the full Campaign up to a week before launch, starting October 20, 2022

That's crazy that if you pre-order the physical version, they don't care about you.
They want physical to die. The entire industry is doing this, even Nintendo is pushing digital by increasing physical prices and then offering digital vouchers for a substantial "discount".

Dr.Morris79

Book NOW for:

*Linear corridor set piece pew pew, maybe some pointless semi open world pew pew too

*Wasting 300Gb off you hdd space

*100Gb updates every ten minutes

*Some form of monetization for the kidz

*Vastly overpriced DLC down the road

*The chance to do it all again next year

*To get HyPe and tell your FrIeNdS

*Ensure the 10/10 scores from top gaming journalists to bolster your feeings that you didnt piss your money down the bog

That's crazy that if you pre-order the physical version, they don't care about you. Reason 2 million why you should tell these Publishers to suck a dick and not pre-order shit.
How exactly do you think this could work where you get to play a game you haven't received yet.

And no it doesn't work like pre ordering a game to get a beta code.

Kupfer

How exactly do you think this could work where you get to play a game you haven't received yet.
Maybe just not be a dick and stop such crappy business practices? But the funniest thing is, people will celebrate it and feel good about "playing a week earlier".

It's like buying a bike that's worth 700€, but in the store there's a price tag with a crossed out price of 1500€ with a bold red promotion price underneath "Today only 900€!"

You buy the bike and think you made a bargain, but you were fucked secretly

clarky

Gold Member
In terms of your opportunity cost, how many nano-cents are you earning on your 7 day, $60 dollar investment that this actually matters? 0.00003?

Edit: Also it isn't a loan. You are getting the campaign.
I was more talking about general preordering of digital products. Obviously not the day before.

Why would you give money to a company say 3 months before they deliver, without knowing anything about the quality of the product your getting? Makes no sense. Besides it might be nano-cents to you but a couple of million preorders of MW2 for Activision is definitely not "nano cents"

Last edited:
Maybe just not be a dick and stop such crappy business practices? But the funniest thing is, people will celebrate it and feel good about "playing a week earlier".
Thats bullshit, you need to explain why it's a bad business practice. Many people that play COD never touch the campaign and go straight into the guns and level grind. If you have paid for the product in a digital pre order they are giving those that are excited to play the game an opportunity to play the campaign early and doing nothing but allow early access - thats a good business practice. Many will actually get more value out of the game that normally skips it.

Physical copy orders can be cancelled and they would be giving away the campaign for free if they treated it like beta codes which doesn't make one bit of sense business wise no matter if its your favourite developer or one you hate.

Tams

Gold Member
lUREWee.gif

Kupfer

Thats bullshit, you need to explain why it's a bad business practice. Many people that play COD never touch the campaign and go straight into the guns and level grind. If you have paid for the product in a digital pre order they are giving those that are excited to play the game an opportunity to play the campaign early and doing nothing but allow early access - thats a good business practice. Many will actually get more value out of the game that normally skips it.

Physical copy orders can be cancelled and they would be giving away the campaign for free if they treated it like beta codes which doesn't make one bit of sense business wise no matter if its your favourite developer or one you hate.
Okay, let's put it this way: good business practice, bad customer care.
Of course, it puts extra money in Activision's pockets, and that's what it's all about.

The singleplayer campaign is apparently fniished and can be played. Why not move the release up a week? Exactly, physical copies don't make as much money as digital ones.

They systematically exploit the fear of missing out to sell players the more expensive version and sell it to you like it's something great, see your comment - no offense.

Okay, let's put it this way: good business practice, bad customer care.
Of course, it puts extra money in Activision's pockets, and that's what it's all about.

The singleplayer campaign is apparently fniished and can be played. Why not move the release up a week? Exactly, physical copies don't make as much money as digital ones.

They systematically exploit the fear of missing out to sell players the more expensive version and sell it to you like it's something great, see your comment - no offense.
Sorry but you make no sense. All digital versions get access so they aren't selling you a more expensive version, it's the same price as a physical copy.

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
yoo wen GIF

Lol jk

That's fair and your opinion. I thought MW MP was great.

Question: Do you prefer the Treyarch (Black Ops) games for MP? I find that people who dislike MW MP prefer those and want to gather more data.
Yes, 100% prefer the Treyarch games. Even their worse games, in my opinion, were better than mw19. This is due to the flow of the game.

To be fair, I understand that the devs eventually figured it out too, and started releasing better flowing, smaller maps into 2019. But, they had to grab me at the beginning, and at the beginning it was huge maps, with 1000 windows and line of sights, ghosts was always active, people were encourage to camp. We even saw posts by devs saying how this game was made for newer players.

Anyhow, I get if after with shipment and smaller maps it got better, but definitely not at launch. I remember even visibility being a problem.

I also prefer scorestreaks over kill streaks.

Anyhow, funny enough, youtubers have already said that when they got flown out, they were told 6v6 maps would be more of the classic route this time around, so I think they heard the feedback.

I can also commend for 2019 looking beautiful, and sounding amazing, and glad it brought cross play, cross progression, and got rid of season pass. I can appreciate all that, but the flow of the game wasn't it.

Ps: can't remember the last infinity ward game I've enjoyed: ghosts, nope, infinite Warfare nope, mw19, nope.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Sorry but you make no sense. All digital versions get access so they aren't selling you a more expensive version, it's the same price as a physical copy.
They could release the game to everyone and just keep the multiplayer locked for a week, but then you'd get the campaign only squad trading it in before that MP unlock date so they cant win either way.

Personally the way they are doing it way works for me, so no complaints here

Last edited:
Yes, 100% prefer the Treyarch games. Even their worse games, in my opinion, were better than mw19. This is due to the flow of the game.

To be fair, I understand that the devs eventually figured it out too, and started releasing better flowing, smaller maps into 2019. But, they had to grab me at the beginning, and at the beginning it was huge maps, with 1000 windows and line of sights, ghosts was always active, people were encourage to camp. We even saw posts by devs saying how this game was made for newer players.

Anyhow, I get if after with shipment and smaller maps it got better, but definitely not at launch. I remember even visibility being a problem.

I also prefer scorestreaks over kill streaks.

Anyhow, funny enough, youtubers have already said that when they got flown out, they were told 6v6 maps would be more of the classic route this time around, so I think they heard the feedback.

I can also commend for 2019 looking beautiful, and sounding amazing, and glad it brought cross play, cross progression, and got rid of season pass. I can appreciate all that, but the flow of the game wasn't it.
I prefer the seemingly slower movement speed of MW. And where you say the maps don't flow as well, i see it as having to fight for ground. Treyarch feels like I'm playing Sonic with guns. When they say they made MW for newer players, maybe thats part of what they meant: Felt like I could win by tactics rather than always having to be quickest on the draw.

Also, every COD should have a Ground War mode. Really hoping they bring it back in MWII. It's like a game of American football with guns.

Kupfer

No, you're not sorry, you just don't allow any other point of view and insist on your point of view.

I mean I understand the people who say: "cool I can play the game a week before the people who buy it in retail". But the fact is that Activision counts exactly on these people and exploits this way of thinking to make more money. Activion is all about money, so I understand why they enforce these business practices, but it's actually always the case that you get the retail version at release cheaper than the digital version (which you don't even own, but that's a whole other topic).

Horizon Forbidden West right now 59.99€ digital (and that's what Sony calls a sale) vs 37€ physical (found it even cheaper for 33€ in a German store)
Fifa 23 Standard Edition : preorder for 79.99€ digital or for 58€ physical.

Of course it is only in the interest of the publishers to distribute games digitally and accordingly they are now trying to create an incentive to leave more money for less by such "premium games one week before" models.

As I said, I understand why it's done, I can accept that people don't give a shit who just want to play a week before others, and yet I'm allowed to say that it's just a crappy business practice that I don't think should be supported.

They could release the game to everyone and just keep the multiplayer locked for a week, but then you'd get the campaign only squad trading it in before that MP unlock date so they cant win either way.
Exactly.
And that's cool!

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I prefer the seemingly slower movement speed of MW. And where you say the maps don't flow as well, i see it as having to fight for ground. Treyarch feels like I'm playing Sonic with guns. When they say they made MW for newer players, maybe thats part of what they meant: Felt like I could win by tactics rather than always having to be quickest on the draw.

Also, every COD should have a Ground War mode. Really hoping they bring it back in MWII. It's like a game of American football with guns.
Didn't feel Tactical to me, felt very campy, slow, and boring. To my preference of course

It's like buying a bike that's worth 700€, but in the store there's a price tag with a crossed out price of 1500€ with a bold red promotion price underneath "Today only 900€!"

You buy the bike and think you made a bargain, but you were fucked secretly

Why the insults? If people want to pre-order and play the game early, what's the harm in that?.
As soon as you buy a new car or even a 2nd hand car it will depreciate in value

Kupfer

Why the insults? If people want to pre-order and play the game early, what's the harm in that?.
As soon as you buy a new car or even a 2nd hand car it will depreciate in value
The insults are not directed at any of the users here.
I am simply indignant how greedy the corporations have become and I see year after year how my favorite hobby, at least gaming used to be, is degenerating. All good when people have fun and participate. Maybe it's just the turn of a new generation of gamers.
Vented enough now. Hope the game will be good.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

It works for me as well though I usually buy physical simply because I want to be done with the campaign before MP rolls out.

I do think they should release the physical on the same day and let people trade it in when done because I know several people who only play the campaign anyhow.

Not sure why the outrage honestly as I have more of a problem with forcing people to pay for like ultimate editions for $100+ just for early access but this is regular price

The insults are not directed at any of the users here.
I am simply indignant how greedy the corporations have become and I see year after year how my favorite hobby, at least gaming used to be, is degenerating. All good when people have fun and participate. Maybe it's just the turn of a new generation of gamers.
I'm also upset enough now, that's enough.
It's not that greedy, its only allowing those who pre order to play the game early.
I like to see more extra's given to those gamers who look to preorder rather than wait for weeks for the price to come down.

Kupfer

It's not that greedy, its only allowing those who pre order to play the game early.
I like to see more extra's given to those gamers who look to preorder rather than wait for weeks for the price to come down.
And there we are again at the beginning of the problem, it's all about digital pre-orders, which bring in more money for the publisher and that's why they try to push digital sales.
If all pre-orderers could play earlier, I would have had no problem with pre orderers playing a week earlier :messenger_tears_of_joy:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And there we are again at the beginning of the problem, it's all about digital pre-orders, which bring in more money for the publisher and that's why they try to push digital sales.
If all pre-orderers could play earlier, I would have had no problem with pre orderers playing a week earlier :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I agree physical should launch at the same time and even voiced said opinion to some people in the loop

Maybe if enough people complain loud enough they can ship physical early as well

clarky

Gold Member
It works for me as well though I usually buy physical simply because I want to be done with the campaign before MP rolls out.

I do think they should release the physical on the same day and let people trade it in when done because I know several people who only play the campaign anyhow.

Not sure why the outrage honestly as I have more of a problem with forcing people to pay for like ultimate editions for $100+ just for early access but this is regular price
Good point if your buying physical you'll probably get it a few days early anyways depending on what channels you go through, so only miss out by a few days at worst and still retain the ability to trade in.

splattered

You people do realize that owning a game physically doesn't do shit for you anymore right? You don't even get the full game most of the time, it has to be halfway downloaded/patched for it to work correctly. I miss the days of a launch game being complete but that idea is long gone.

Kupfer

You people do realize that owning a game physically doesn't do shit for you anymore right? You don't even get the full game most of the time, it has to be halfway downloaded/patched for it to work correctly. I miss the days of a launch game being complete but that idea is long gone.
Fortunately, this is still the exception. The vast majority of titles can be inserted and played unpatched without hesitation.
Unfortunately, some very big AAA titles have screwed up badly and that's why this "myth" continues to hold up so well.
However, what is really cheeky and has already happened, if you buy a retail game, open it and then find only a download code. For this you would have to piss the responsible in the open window.

Kokoloko85

I guess thats a good reason to preorder a game you know your gonna buy anyway.
I never got to play MW1 remake/retcon, might try and find a 2nd hand copy somewhere

rofif

Banned
They want physical to die. The entire industry is doing this, even Nintendo is pushing digital by increasing physical prices and then offering digital vouchers for a substantial "discount".
For sure they want physical to die.
It's the only part of the market they cannot fully control... and control is what they want.
Full control over ownership and pricing

GreatnessRD

You just hate to see it!

And no it doesn't work like pre ordering a game to get a beta code.
Release it a week early like they do those 3 day early access goofy pre-orders and have the MP servers turned off or inaccessible until the game officially launches. Doesn't sound like rocket science to me, but I'm going to mind my business. I don't buy COD games anymore anyway.

ShadowLag

Remake/reboot of Modern Warfare II, continuing from MW 2019.
Maybe No Russian.

It's a sequel to 2019 which had its own thing going. Could be totally different from original MW2, but I bet they'll throw in some nods at least.

Last edited:

chromhound

i'm never buying online again. The homie from the hood can hook me up with new games for half price

Last edited:
Top Bottom