• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dilema, where to play games

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

GymWolf

Without any aim assist?
When i can disable it, yeah.

But like i said, most immersive sims have pretty shitty combat mechanics or they are clunky as hell (and i fucking love the genre) so i play most of them in stealth, and even without aim assist, headshotting people when you have all the time in the world is pss easy even with a controller.

Last one i played half stealth and half action was weird west and even if aim wasn't great with a controller, i still had no problem at all with the game.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I guess that the pretty easy challenge of these games never made less than optimal aim a big problem.

Also i usually play immersive sims as stealth assassins, they usually have shit combat so i don't really engage in gunfights.

Dark messiah was a white fly (but that was mostly melee)

Sure stealth-wise/melee wise easy peasy. I played cyberpunk as a stealth mage and just watching enemies from afara kill themselves or die from plague most of the time so yeah, aiming is not an issue in that case. Still walking and moving my camera all around in FP view with a controller still sucks to me. I avoid FP games on consoles.

GymWolf

Sure stealth-wise/melee wise easy peasy. I played cyberpunk as a stealth mage and just watching enemies from afara kill themselves or die from plague most of the time so yeah, aiming is not an issue in that case. Still walking and moving my camera all around in FP view with a controller still sucks to me. I avoid FP games on consoles.
That was my first run, and i loved the whole thing, but it was stupidly fucking easy.

Now i'm doing a silenced pistol run, and when shit goes south, i have shotgun and monowire, also invisibility thing, the game is even easier...

Like, they really need to rebalance the ia or the progression or something, the game is TOO easy.

P.s. i fucking hate m+k.

Last edited:

Fbh

Personally I like to play both PC and console on a TV with a controller. I've never had too much trouble with shooters on a controller and I like comfy couch gaming more than sitting at a desk.
With your setup I'd probably go with PC on the TV and maxing out the visuals at 60fps (assuming you only have a 60hz tv). Cyberpunk strikes me as one of those games where maximising the visuals will have more of an impact than super high FPS, since it's more about the world and story than fast paced shooting.

GymWolf

Using dual stick controller maybe. With m+kb I can't think of anyone.
really? so for you prey and the the 2 dishonored titles have great combat mechanics?

I mean pretty much everyone play these games in stealth because they are clunky or just super easy if you play action-y, the real fun is playing these games in stealth mode for a reason.

Never heard ANYONE praising the combat in these games in a dedicated topic about good combat systems, when i think about immersive sims, combat is really one of my last thoughts.

Now don't get me wrong i enjoy killing mofos in dishonored because the gore is nice, the ragdoll is nice and there are many clunkier games out there (like bethesda games or piranha bite games) and some youtubers do crazy things with dishonored titles like that brstealth dude, but the guy know everything about the game, he probably try hundreds of times to get a scene right, it's not really a proof of nothing if not how flexible these games are with their mechanics.

p.s. i guess that m+k make everything smoother with first person titles so you may not notice some of the clunkiness, but many reviews for these games are played on pc, and they usually all agree that these games don't have great combat or that combat is not the main attraction, maybe i was a bit harsh before.

Last edited:
Play "PC type" games on PC and "console type" games on TV. That's what I do at least, I can't stand first person or strategy games without K&M.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
really? so for you prey and the the 2 dishonored titles have great combat mechanics?

I mean pretty much everyone play these games in stealth because they are clunky or just super easy if you play action-y, the real fun is playing these games in stealth mode for a reason.

Never heard ANYONE praising the combat in these games in a dedicated topic about good combat systems, when i think about immersive sims, combat is really one of my last thoughts.

Now don't get me wrong i enjoy killing mofos in dishonored because the gore is nice, the ragdoll is nice and there are many clunkier games out there (like bethesda games or piranha bite games) and some youtubers do crazy things with dishonored titles like that brstealth dude, but the guy know everything about the game, he probably try hundreds of times to get a scene right, it's not really a proof of nothing if not how flexible these games are with their mechanics.

p.s. i guess that m+k make everything smoother with first person titles so you may not notice some of the clunkiness, but many reviews for these games are played on pc, and they usually all agree that these games don't have great combat or that combat is not the main attraction, maybe i was a bit harsh before.
Can't speak for Prey as I didn't play much, but are you really calling this:

not great/clunk???

Last edited:

GymWolf

Can't speak for Prey as I didn't play much, but are you really calling this:

not great???

Emh, have you read when i specifically named the brstealth dude?

Those videos are great, but they are more a testimony of how flexible the games are and how many hours this poor dude wasted trying to get that particular scene right.

i never said that you can't do crazy things with these games, it is the beatiful thing about immersive sims.

I'm mostly talking about pure combat mechanics, like when you use the sword, the parry etc. these games don't feel like proper action games even if you can do a lot of things with the powers etc.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing here.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
That was my first run, and i loved the whole thing, but it was stupidly fucking easy.

Now i'm doing a silenced pistol run, and when shit goes south, i have shotgun and monowire, also invisibility thing, the game is even easier...

Like, they really need to rebalance the ia or the progression or something, the game is TOO easy.

P.s. i fucking hate m+k.

Agree, the game is very easy.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Emh, have you read when i specifically named the brstealth dude?

Those videos are great, but they are more a testimony of how flexible the games are and how many hours this poor dude wasted trying to get that particular scene right.

i never said that you can't do crazy things with these games, it is the beatiful thing about immersive sims.

I'm mostly talking about pure combat mechanics, like when you use the sword, the parry etc. these games don't feel like proper action games even if you can do a lot of things with the powers etc.

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same thing here.
I am not sure too as I only see greatness and the opposite of clunkiness in Dishonored combat (with mouse+kb at least).

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Current gen consoles are good enough for me, unless it's an RTS then it's PC. But I only play c&c remastered.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
When people prize m+kb for everything that "have a crosshair/you have to aim" (and yes, this includes third person shooters too), they have objectively reasons.

Last edited:

GymWolf

When people prize m+kb for everything that "have a crosshair/you have to aim" (and yes, this includes third person shooters too), they have objectively reasons.
True, and sometimes combat systems are not great without considering the method of control, like i said, many immersive sims are reviewed on pc and the majority of people always think that these games don't have great combat systems.

Even with m+k you can tell when a combat system is good or less good, it is a fact that dishonored doens't play and feel like doom, no matter what method of control you use.

And it is the same with combat systems that play better with a controller, you can always tell the difference and they are not all the same quality just because you play with a controller, elex doesn't play like bloodborne.

MiguelItUp

Play wherever you're most comfortable! I typically prefer the PC + desk combo. But I will admit playing the PS5 MW2 beta on my couch was a nice change of pace, lol.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
True, and sometimes combat systems are not great without considering the method of control, like i said, many immersive sims are reviewed on pc and the majority of people always think that these games don't have great combat systems.

Even with m+k you can tell when a combat system is good or less good, it is a fact that dishonored doens't play and feel like doom, no matter what method of control you use.

And it is the same with combat systems that play better with a controller, you can always tell the difference and they are not all the same quality just because you play with a controller, elex doesn't play like bloodborne.
Then these reviewers play with controller on PC to think they are not great. Or they are just bad/don't know to explore the gameplay.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Dude again, it's not about exploring the gameplay, we clearly don't understand each other.
How is it not also about exploring the gameplay? If I don't know every possibility of the gameplay+ controls, how can I call it bad or great?

GymWolf

How is it not also about exploring the gameplay? If I don't know every possibility of the gameplay+ controls, how can I call it bad or great?
Because it is not about variety or number of possibilities dude.

Elex, skyrim\fallout and cyberpunk have plenty of gameplay possibilities but they all have clunky melee and shooting (cyberpunk has decent gunplay).

Let's just stop here, it's not even that important and we are way off topic, it's not like we are discussing if dishonored is a good game or not (they were both my goty in their respective years of release) :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because it is not about variety or number of possibilities dude.

Elex, skyrim\fallout and cyberpunk have plenty of gameplay possibilities but they all have clunky melee and shooting (cyberpunk has decent gunplay).

Let's just stop here, it's not even that important and we are way off topic :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
It's, again, ALSO about possibilities. Plus controls + "input" (controller/m+kb). Skyrim "clunkiness" in melee is due animation priority that m+kb also "alleviates". Shooting in skyrim with bow (with proper aiming mod to exclude pathectic aim assist) or destruction magic are godlike with m+kb. I can't also see clunkiness in melee in CP2077:

edit: sorry. wrong video.

I don't think we are off topic discussing why and how to play on PC, especially "shooters/first person games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's, again, ALSO about possibilities. Plus controls + "input" (controller/m+kb). Skyrim "clunkiness" in melee is due animation priority that m+kb also "alleviates". Shooting in skyrim with bow or destruction magic are godlike wit+kb. I can't also see clunkiness in melee in CP2077:

I don't think we are off topic discussing why and how to play on PC, especially "shooters/first person games.

No, i never put together how clunky a combat feels with how many possibilities the game gives me, and sure m+k can alleviate some clunkyness in the shooting but it can't do shit with melee, and maybe we have different standards, but i'm playing a melee build with cyberpunk right now with the monowire (and tried the blade arms before) and it feels pretty clunky to me and not because i can't aim or turn fast enough with a controller, the enemies are pretty stupid and don't evan evade your hits, and it is not a matter of controller, it's an overall feeling, exactly like the examples i made with stuff that play better with a controller like elex or lord of the fallen not playing\feeling like sekiro or bloodborne.

I think we are off topic because you can use both controller and m+k on pc, so controller are not something exclusive to console, and we ended up talking about dishonored having clunky combat or not, that nothing has to do with controllers, because even when i played these games without stealth, i had no problems at all with a controller, other games like a doom or wolfenstein are much better with m+k just because they are way faster and harder.

Last edited:

nikos

Console for exclusives, PC for everything else. On TV and/or monitor. It's 2022, OP.

This. PC for pretty much everything except exclusives or games that are more suited for handheld.

Sounds like OP needs a better monitor. Get a good ultrawide and don't look back.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
No, i never put together how clunky a combat feels with how many possibilities the game gives me, and sure m+k can alleviate some clunkyness in the shooting but it can't do shit with melee, and maybe we have different standards, but i'm playing a melee build with cyberpunk right now with the monowire (and tried the blade arms before) and it feels pretty clunky to me and not because i can't aim or turn fast enough with a controller, the enemies are pretty stupid and don't evan evade your hits, and it is not a matter of controller, it's an overall feeling, exactly like the examples i made with stuff that play better with a controller like elex or lord of the fallen not playing\feeling like sekiro or bloodborne.
Then clunkiness is not the word here. It's enemies's bad reactions/IA.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Then clunkiness is not the word here. It's enemies's reactions/IA.
No that was just me telling you why i don't have problems playing these games with a controller, maybe i just phrased the whole thing wrong, as you can tell my english is pretty shitty when i try to explain elaborate concepts.

Also, i think we are off topic because you can use both controller and m+k on pc, so controller are not something exclusive to console, they are an official method of control on pc aswell and million of people use them (i played all these games on pc), and then we ended up talking about dishonored having clunky combat or not, that nothing has to do with controllers, because even when i played these games without stealth, i had no problems at all with a controller, other games like a doom or wolfenstein are much better with m+k just because they are way faster and harder.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm torn appart by those kind of games since on one hand, M+KB would be the ideal control scheme for most of the time... but then you have driving sections, and those are always better with a controller imo.
This is the debacle I keep running into with gta. Controller feels so much better for ground sections and car, but shooting is so much better on mouse and keyboard... God why doesn't xinput have gyro support yet?

Ev1L AuRoN

PC for me, the games are cheaper, I get a lot of free games and don't have to subscribe to a service to play online. Getting games from both Microsoft and Sony is a nice plus.
Also, Emulation!

PC for me, the games are cheaper, I get a lot of free games and don't have to subscribe to a service to play online. Getting games from both Microsoft and Sony is a nice plus.
Also, Emulation!
And Mods. Whenever I have the chance to go with a PC version of a game, I do. I love playing on consoles but PC offers much more value than any console.

If I can't play with my feet up then I don't want to play.
Recliner, feet up, controller in hand, bottle of shiner bock next to me.

Top Bottom