• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture Being Fully Restored in 4K HDR (Paramount+ Debut in 2022)

ManaByte

The Director's Edition was released on DVD, but never on Blu-Ray or in HD due to the new effects only being made in 480p. In order to do it in HD, they have to re-do all of the effects that were added to the new version. They're now doing that in 4K and it'll take 6-8 months, then it'll premiere on Paramount+ for a while before a home video release.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
These effects have not aged well. I doubt they'll look much better in 4K, even if completely redone.

nush

Gold Member
I did have this on DVD, it fixed some pacing issues and special effects. Worth looking at if your a fan of OG Star Trek.

ManaByte

Never forget.

Pron GIF

And it is glorious, XXX hardcore filth!

One of the reasons I dislike Discovery, 3 seasons in and I don't feel any attachment to the ship. It's just there. And CGI means you can destroy a ship at a whim. Remember when the Enterprise was scuttled in III, you felt the crews pain as she went down in flames.

TMP is slow and plodding, but it's Star Trek thru and thru and by golly, that's one of Jerry Goldsmiths best scores. Sound design is amazing as well. When the photon torpedoes are fired, the sound crackles with energy.

Aw yeah, Star Trek I is one of my favorite Star Trek movies, and yes I would put if up there with Wrath of Khan. I never understood why it got so much hate. The slow pace is used very deliberate and lends the movie a majestic feel that is very reminiscent of Space Odyssey. I mean, just compare both docking sequences, it is all the glory of space travel and sci-fi distilled into a single moment of movie brilliance.

Kev Kev

not a popular opinion but star trek 1 is easily my favorite of the bunch. i dont know why, that movie just really scratched my sci fi itch a the time of watching it, and i loved it ever since. i thought the story was really well done and i loved how they werent afraid to pull the tirgger and kill off some important characters at the end. and it just has a lot of atmosphere to it that i didnt feel with the other trek movies.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Biggest Star Trek fan on earth but to say that this film has pacing issues would be an understatement

A good hour of it could just...disappear and nothing of value would be lost

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The ILM model effects are still great. They just need to eliminate the matte boxes and matte lines like they just did with Indy (it looks amazing).

The 6-8 months of work is to re-do the CG stuff added in the Director's Edition like the V'Ger ship.

Pretty sure ILM had nothing to do with the effects in TMP, it was Doug Trumbull's team doing it under insane time pressure after the original house failed to deliver.

Famously ILM hated the enterprise model built for the movie as it was huge and heavy and didn't work well with their motion control rigs. That being said TMP was the first time I believe Trumbull employed the beeswax-smoke technique that flowered fully in Blade Runner to get volumetric effects in-camera in miniature shoots.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Aw yeah, Star Trek I is one of my favorite Star Trek movies, and yes I would put if up there with Wrath of Khan. I never understood why it got so much hate. The slow pace is used very deliberate and lends the movie a majestic feel that is very reminiscent of Space Odyssey. I mean, just compare both docking sequences, it is all the glory of space travel and sci-fi distilled into a single moment of movie brilliance.

Yeah, what people don't seem to acknowledge is that the fly in to the Enterprise isn't just fan service, it sets up a sense of scale so that you really get a sense of how immense Vejur is.

Its a real one-off of a movie in that you're absolutely right in seeing its lineage going back to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Unlike pretty much every other big space movie of its time, Star Wars has zero discernible influence on its style.

Also 100% agree on Goldsmith's score; one of his very best and still a standout in a period where all big Hollywood genre epics had iconic scores.

Biggest Star Trek fan on earth but to say that this film has pacing issues would be an understatement

A good hour of it could just...disappear and nothing of value would be lost
Pacing issues is the nice way of saying what I said.

Massive Star Trek fan but this movie is nearly unwatchable for me personally. Which is sad because the concept, the Vger twist, everything about the plot is actualy pretty well written and the idea is very clever for the reintroduction to the crew from the 60s show. Very smart way to begin their big screen escapades. But it's just such an arthouse movie feel with insane pacing issues.

INC

The wife and i are just rewatching all the films, her choice. 1st one is trying way to hard to be 2001. Still an OK film

wipeout364

I have not seen the directors cut but this is my favorite Star Trek Movie. It’s well done, serious, and just so focused on sci-fi with a very novel villain(if you can call it that). Wrath of Khan is pretty close. The rest of the the original movies are pretty meh.

The next gen movies just feel like watching the TV show which is a problem for a movie.

The reboot movies are well done but ultimately pretty hollow experiences.

Yeah, what people don't seem to acknowledge is that the fly in to the Enterprise isn't just fan service, it sets up a sense of scale so that you really get a sense of how immense Vejur is.

Its a real one-off of a movie in that you're absolutely right in seeing its lineage going back to 2001: A Space Odyssey. Unlike pretty much every other big space movie of its time, Star Wars has zero discernible influence on its style.

Also 100% agree on Goldsmith's score; one of his very best and still a standout in a period where all big Hollywood genre epics had iconic scores.

Roddenberry's novelisation mentions the monolith incident in 2001. It's a great read and the only Trek he actually wrote in book form I believe.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
These effects have not aged well. I doubt they'll look much better in 4K, even if completely redone.
I can't wait to see those cheesy CGI viewscreen shots. I get a kick out of how some Old Trek is so bad at imagining the future. This late 70's film imagines the computer graphics of 2300 as early 1980s arcade games. TOS had consoles built from a rat's nest of wires instead of PCBs with ICs. It's hilarious how some moronic fans freak out that things in the new shows aren't consistent tech wise with the Enterprise from a low budget 1967 TV show.

I watched this about 5 years ago and I enjoyed it more than when I watched it in the 80s. I'll check this out after SNW next year.

Top Bottom