• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disco Elysium The Final Cut [OT] I Am The Law

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Savescum? Or don't you even get the chance to try and roll for it?

When I played, I was thinking that situation like that could happen. For all the good in the game there's also quite a few flaws.

I had the chance to roll for it which was really low but i went for it anyways, and of course it failed. Now its just locked out until i raise the associated level perk to a higher level but i cant level up since noone is saying anything new anymore, so no new XP. I'm hoping im just missing something, because ive sunk alot of time into this game and have loved it so far and ill be super pissed if ive hit some glitch now that i cant move forward with.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Gonna bump this and ask again lol....still not any further due to the quests that are spoiler tagged above and i cant find anyone to talk to with new things to discuss to get me XP so i can level up. I'm starting to think my game is bugged.
Maybe i'm wrong but i don't think you are supposed to pass all the with checks. They require different skills and depending on you character development you can't have all the necessary skills all the time. There will still be progression in the game even if you don't pass them. Just play along even if there is failure. It is part of the game.

april6e

I'm trying to comprehend how lucky I got during THAT scene in the game.

As you know, the game has you go through a large number of skill checks during that sequence. I completely screwed up by stats in the beginning of the game (put all stats into Int/Psyche) thinking that the game was a more traditional RPG and it wouldn't matter (I also have zero understanding of how the thought system works even after beating the game). The early game was suffering as a result (I almost rage quit the game because my character couldn't progress the story in any skill check requiring physical or motor).

Long story short, there were numerous 3% chance skill checks during that scene and I hit just about every single one during the entire sequence, including multiple 3% and 7% checks. I'm trying to mathematically work out how insanely lucky that was.

Last edited:
I'm trying to comprehend how lucky I got during THAT scene in the game.

As you know, the game has you go through a large number of skill checks during that sequence. I completely screwed up by stats in the beginning of the game (put all stats into Int/Psyche) thinking that the game was a more traditional RPG and it wouldn't matter (I also have zero understanding of how the thought system works even after beating the game). The early game was suffering as a result (I almost rage quit the game because my character couldn't progress the story in any skill check requiring physical or motor).

Long story short, there were numerous 3% chance skill checks during that scene and I hit just about every single one during the entire sequence, including multiple 3% and 7% checks. I'm trying to mathematically work out how insanely lucky that was.
Lol I know the scene, wonder if they fudge the numbers behind the scenes. No way my guy could throw a molotov that good with a 2 in hand eye coordination lol.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
So i played again last night and i was able to find finally that convo i was missing:

I went back into Cuno's shed and found the locusts he was stealing and that kicked it all off. After doing that short little quest i got the XP i needed and gained a level. I put it in the skill needed to "establish authority over Titus" and then i was able to do that successfully which opened up a shit-ton of new stuff i had been not able to progress to, so i'm good now.

Thanks everyone for your tips and info!!

nowhat

Thanks everyone for your tips and info!!
So, just a heads up - towards the very end of the game, there's a skill check. There are two skills that can be utilised, but if you fail both... as far as I can tell, you will not be able to level up if you've done every side quest up to that point.

Whether that's bad game design is debatable, but "save early, save often" is as true here as it always has been. But great to "see" people playing this, what a wonderful game. Absolutely loved it.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Sorry if this is a random question, but is it true that you can limit the risk of your saves getting corrupted by not making too many saves on separate slots? (I'm talking about the console version)

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Sorry if this is a random question, but is it true that you can limit the risk of your saves getting corrupted by not making too many saves on separate slots? (I'm talking about the console version)

I don't have a specific answer to your question, but how big of an issue is it with saves getting corrupted? I know they updated the game several times since launch and i don't think that's an issue. I played through it on PS5 for around 42 hrs and i never had any save issues at all.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I don't have a specific answer to your question, but how big of an issue is it with saves getting corrupted? I know they updated the game several times since launch and i don't think that's an issue. I played through it on PS5 for around 42 hrs and i never had any save issues at all.
I browsed discoelysium's reddit from last month and people are still saying this happens on both PS4 & PS5. Some started saying that having too many separate savegames may lead to the corruption and to being unable to create more saves.

I'm planning to play the game with no more than 10 save slots in use and just overwrite the old ones to be safe.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

I browsed discoelysium's reddit from last month and people are still saying this happens on both PS4 & PS5. Some started saying that having too many separate savegames may lead to the corruption and to being unable to create more saves.

I'm planning to play the game with no more than 10 save slots in use and just overwrite the old ones to be safe.
I always had about 15 different save files on PS5 and played since the release without a single problem.

Con-Z-epT

Is it a normal reaction to stress over how much time has passed during conversations? ;)
No i don't think so.

Conversations and reading books is the only way to make the time pass.

Depending on how much quests you actively follow it maybe even necessary to read a book to get some progression.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
No i don't think so.

Conversations and reading books is the only way to make the time pass.

Depending on how much quests you actively follow it maybe even necessary to read a book to get some progression.
What I meant is there a risk of missing something if I make too many interactions which advance the clock?

Puskas

I bought and downloaded this game recently after waiting to play it for quite some time now. The $25 price tag seemed like a good enough deal. Glad I didn’t spend more money on this POS.

DE must be the most boring ass fucking game I’ve ever played. The amount of useless wall of texts and lore is unbearably pretentious as fuck. Around one million words and absolutely nothing of substance.

Not to mention the loading times on the base PS4. Jesus christ. 😴💤

Last edited:
I bought and downloaded this game recently after waiting to play it for quite some time now. The $25 price tag seemed like a good enough deal. Glad I didn’t spend more money on this POS.

DE must be the most boring ass fucking game I’ve ever played. The amount of useless wall of texts and lore is unbearably pretentious as fuck. Around one million words and absolutely nothing of substance.

If you find the game boring then obviously this game wasn't mean for you 🤷‍♂️

At least you gave it a shot!

Hopefully your next purchase is more in line with your taste.

Con-Z-epT

Seems like you didn't know what your getting yourself into.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
In my opinion some NPC's have pretty tiring monologues and they use way too many elaborate words from the dictionary. Maybe it's because I picked a very intelligent character, dunno, I haven't tried playing as a dumbass yet.

I like the game so far (finished day 1), however I will say the screen should scroll more smoothly and the loading times shouldn't be as long on the PS5. This can be especially annoying if you're going back and forth through buildings and other separate areas.

Last edited:

I’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on this one since it’s on sale but I had my suspicions and this post is like confirmation of my worst fears with this game. Not good.

Being pretentious is like worst sin you can commit in gaming as far as I’m concerned.

Will wait for even bigger sale in the future (sub 15 bucks).

Puskas

Seems like you didn't know what your getting yourself into.
I’ve both watched and read plenty of reviews (praising the writing etc.) as I truly I liked the premise of the game as well the art style. I’ve had my eyes on this since 2019.

I was however never prepared for being bored to tears.

🤷‍♂️

Con-Z-epT

I’ve both watched and read plenty of reviews (praising the writing etc.) as I truly I liked the premise of the game as well the art style. I’ve had my eyes on this since 2019.

I was however never prepared for being bored to tears.

🤷‍♂️
What do think makes it so boring?

I felt well entertained throughout the game.

You don't have to read or listen to everything the game has to over.
Just play the game as you think is correct. Isn't that the intention?

TonyK

What do think makes it so boring?

I felt well entertained throughout the game.

You don't have to read or listen to everything the game has to over.
Just play the game as you think is correct. Isn't that the intention?
I also find it really boring, and I feel bad for that. I really want to like it, but I'm in the 4th day and I can't take anymore pointless dialogs. I love to read books, but this is insane. Main quest dialogs are fine, but all the other stuff is simply overwhelming.

I stopped playing it because I realised I started to skip all dialogs. But if the game is only about reading, what's the point of skipping dialogs? So I stopped, but I want to return to the game and finish it, but I don't know how to enjoy it.

Dr.Morris79

Yeah...

Where is the Xbox one version then?
Fk8rGSL.jpg

Dr.Morris79

It's 20 euros on steam, convince me to buy this thing.
Honestly? Theres no easy answer to that as it's not really a game per se, it's more akin to a text adventure with choice and after time loading screen fatigue does set in.. but, theres nothing like it. It hooked me like a cheap date that puts out before you've ordered the drinks.

I used to be hooked on C64 text adventures so I guess i've always liked wordy games.

..P.S, ignore my avatar, i'm not biased :messenger_tears_of_joy:

GymWolf

Honestly? Theres no easy answer to that as it's not really a game per se, it's more akin to a text adventure with choice and after time loading screen fatigue does set in.. but, theres nothing like it. It hooked me like a cheap date that puts out before you've ordered the drinks.

I used to be hooked on C64 text adventures so I guess i've always liked wordy games.

..P.S, ignore my avatar, i'm not biased :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Not really a text adventure aficionados tbh, isn't kinda of an rpg?

Top Bottom