• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discrete GPU sales of the past 13 years, charted. Intel dGPU shipments up 7x vs. last quarter. Radeon dGPU shipments at all time low.

Leonidas

New news, new thread. The graphs are from an article posted yesterday.

Screenshot-2022-12-29-at-12-51-19-Desktop-GPU-Sales-Hit-20-Year-Low.png

Screenshot-2022-12-29-at-12-51-11-Desktop-GPU-Sales-Hit-20-Year-Low.png

Intel's shipments in the last quarter increased by 7x while AMD's dropped down to just 1/3rd of the previous quarter.

Intel went from having basically 0% dGPUs to 4% in a single quarter, the highest number dGPU market share they ever reached. +3.6% for Intel.
AMD GPU sales halved from 20% to 10%. -10% for AMD.
While Nvidia saw the greatest increase in market share. +6.4%

The GPU market has shrunk but this is still quite interesting I think. In the latest tracked quarter Nvidia shipped 6X more dGPUs than Intel and AMD combined.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Looks like Nvidia has massively grown its market share, and the only one hurt by Intel entering the market is AMD, which makes sense as AMD was already the brand you only bought if you were on a budget or trying to stick it to Nvidia, and now Intel is giving the market a new budget option.

Monad

I’ve a feeling by now that only Intel could make things difficult for Nvidia in the dGPU space, if they seriously try to compete with the ARC series.

It would be great to see Nvidia in trouble (and I mean that with a 4090 in my rig), because AMD is dogshit a lost cause.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Soon I'll be part of the 1%!

I don't care about who sells the most crap as they're all soulless multibillion dollar corporations but yeah, I do hope either AMD or Intel will put up a fair fight to keep some competition. I got a RX6600 a couple of weeks ago for €200 and it's been really solid so far. Without competition I would've been forced to buy a 3060 for over twice the money. That's just not good for PC gaming as a whole.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Nvidia is the king of PC gaming = PCMR. Not many pc gamers wanted to associate themselves with AMD.

Only fanboys would lock themselves to a single piece of fucking hardware. As it stands, I don't have a 4090, so fuck RT, for now. If I can get solid 60FPS at 4k with everything ticked, that's enough, and it usually is! (Minus RT and those shitty Post Processing Effects)

Reallink

There's no way AMD sees 10% marketshare combined with their objectively inferior products AND THEN decides to release them at effective price to performance parity with the 90% marketshare holder without uncle and niece colluding. No way whatsoever, shit is rotten to the core and rigged harder than a Harlem Globetrotters game.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Interesting to see that the less cards Nvidia sells the higher the prices get. Or is the other way round: the higher the price, the fewer cards sell?

Nvidia is making sure that they're squeezing as much money as they possibly can out of a shrinking market - and they're the ones making that market smaller and smaller because the cost of entry is getting ridiculous.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Interesting to see that the less cards Nvidia sells the higher the prices get. Or is the other way round: the higher the price, the fewer cards sell?

Nvidia is making sure that they're squeezing as much money as they possibly can out of a shrinking market - and they're the ones making that market smaller and smaller because the cost of entry is getting ridiculous.
They turned GPUs into a Veblen good.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Only fanboys would lock themselves to a single piece of fucking hardware. As it stands, I don't have a 4090, so fuck RT, for now. If I can get solid 60FPS at 4k with everything ticked, that's enough, and it usually is! (Minus RT and those shitty Post Processing Effects)

There currently isnt any consumer card that can beat Nvidia OptiX......as the name suggest OptiX only works on Nvidia cards.

Im not going to buy one computer for work(hobbying) and another computer for gaming.
So Nvidia gets my dollars every time....whether I upgrade or not is another question all together.

Nvidia are tech giant who are constantly innovating.
Its a very safe bet to err......bet on Nvidia.

If you had an Nvidia card prior AMD havent done enough to make a consumer think their product is the better option.
The 6700XT is 80 dollars more expensive than the 3060Ti and 20 dollars cheaper than the 3070.(MSRP)
Both those cards offer better value.
average-fps_2560_1440.png

Rather ironically I actually think Intel has a better chance of disrupting Nvidias chokehold on the industry than AMD.
And no im not talking about releasing a flagship card that beats the 40/5090.
Im talking about releasing midrange cards that people will actually buy.

Ronin_7

Banned
Laugh all you want but Intel seems to be the best positioned company right now.

They've their own fabs, will be hard for AMD & Nvidia compete in 10-15 years.

Edit: jumped the gun here lol

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
~80-20-0

Intel enters market

85-10-5

Holy shit, AMD got -5% each competitors

Intel, enter market please to stop monopoly, need competition!!

Wait, not like that!

Did AMD hurt you or something? i've never seen anyone hate AMD this much

I doubt they will ever catch up with TSMC in fab tech, they are 5 years behind

Last edited:

smbu2000

AMD didn't release anything new 7900XT and XTX until December unlike Nvidia and Intel. It makes sense that their marketshare dropped. Now that they are all on even footing (with cards released) then that should be telling once numbers are updated again.

Intel is also using TSMC fabs (N6) to produce their ARC gpus. AMD and Nvidia are also using TSMC fabs for the gpus.

Competition arrived, but only AMD was affected.

No one who actually follows the GPU industry should be shocked by this outcome. The only company that an upstart like Intel producing products for the low end of the market could steal market share from is AMD. No one who was considering a 4090 was going to choose an ARC A770 instead. Completely different markets, same as how nobody who was thinking about an iPhone 14 Pro Max would choose a Samsung Galaxy A53 instead.

Last edited:

Intel contracts with TSMC the same as Nvidia and AMD for GPU manufacturing. They can't actually make something on 5nm on their own fabs.

Intel is hopelessly behind on process technology, their own CPU's are made in their own fabs still using 10nm process.

Intel is by far the worst positioned company in semiconductors, they are only falling further behind the likes of TSMC and Samsung every year. TSMC just began mass production of 3nm process chips this year.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
Intel contracts with TSMC the same as Nvidia and AMD for GPU manufacturing. They can't actually make something on 5nm on their own fabs.

Intel is hopelessly behind on process technology, their own CPU's are made in their own fabs still using 10nm process.

Intel is by far the worst positioned company in semiconductors, they are only falling further behind the likes of TSMC and Samsung every year. TSMC just began mass production of 3nm process chips this year.
Didn't know this, thanks for this mate.

Still on 10nm DAMN my phone is already 5nm & from Samsung fabs not TSMC though.

Elog

Hard to assess those numbers without Q4 2022 and Q1 2023 given the launch dates of the new AMD cards. And the real question - which we do not have the answer to - is what the real GPU mid-market will look like this GPU generation (the 400 USD GPU market)? We need to wait for price/performance numbers - AMD could come back if they hit the market with the right product at a good price. AMD is doing well on the CPU side (it is reasonable to assume that the new 3D model will be the new gaming king) - however on the GPU side the 4090 is a beast so in the premium segment there is only one option right now and that is Nvidia.

Buggy Loop

Did AMD hurt you or something? i've never seen anyone hate AMD this much

You pick what you want to believe I guess. Look back to my upto 2004 past, I’ve been on AMD for a long time, in fact back to ATI Mach series, even the 2D cards and all the way to R9 280.

I even recommend RDNA 2 as of right now, And it’s the best value.

What I don’t stand for is false data and false claims, or the hype trains that tech YouTubers generate around AMD only for it to deflate down to almost nothing, exactly what happened with RDNA 3. Many peoples here don’t have a freaking clue about tech, miracle 4GHz, less watts and trounces Nvidia flagship. Have you seen the circus? I got called so many fucking things by just lowering expectations, even when I predicted that the 7900XTX would trade blows in rasterization with a 4080.

Here, I make the sad realization of the facts presented by the OP, nobody wants Intel to chip away at AMD’s small marketshare compared to Nvidia’s ridiculous 80-85%. What can we do? Laugh or cry about it?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

There currently isnt any consumer card that can beat Nvidia OptiX......as the name suggest OptiX only works on Nvidia cards.

Im not going to buy one computer for work(hobbying) and another computer for gaming.
So Nvidia gets my dollars every time....whether I upgrade or not is another question all together.

Nvidia are tech giant who are constantly innovating.
Its a very safe bet to err......bet on Nvidia.

If you had an Nvidia card prior AMD havent done enough to make a consumer think their product is the better option.
The 6700XT is 80 dollars more expensive than the 3060Ti and 20 dollars cheaper than the 3070.(MSRP)
Both those cards offer better value.
average-fps_2560_1440.png

Rather ironically I actually think Intel has a better chance of disrupting Nvidias chokehold on the industry than AMD.
And no im not talking about releasing a flagship card that beats the 40/5090.
Im talking about releasing midrange cards that people will actually buy.

Midrange is where it’s at for market share, not flagships. Intel is absolutely right to go in that direction. Their 2nd gen might surprise.

AMD seems to have lost that focus and went for top end flagships fights against Nvidia. It’s not going well..

On a pure engineering point of view, their decision to sacrifice RT and ML for simplicity of dies and saving silicon area, on top of huge caches, for the sake of using slower memory for power efficiency and have more focus on rasterization, seem to be a failed plan so far. Because look, not focusing on RT right now is totally a fine choice, but at least get a clear rasterization advantage, not 0-2% avg depending on the suite of games. When the competition has ~25% of silicon dedicated to RT and ML, it should be clear cut that you win rasterization. You cheap out on memory for costs and watts? Then it shouldn’t be a 40W (while Nvidia is on Samsung node..) difference with -$50. That cache for that memory choice is eating what AMD fans want (those that don’t care about RT) : rasterization performances.

And actually we’re just considering gaming now. Work tasks are even more dire, cuda has been allowed to have free reign and find it’s way into almost every computing workplaces and universities. Nvidia owns 80% of the machine learning market, a huge money generator. The competitor here is not AMD, it’s IBM, Intel, etc.

They’ll have to reevaluate all this because Intel isn’t far behind in the mirror and they at least nailed RT scaling and ML on first try. It’s dumbfounding that AMD was part of the DXR consortium in 2017 and yet get outclassed technology wise by a newcomer. (Although intel has prior R&D for RT, Larrabee)

It’s not a time to be fumbling around.

Last edited:

Elog

On a pure engineering point of view, their decision to sacrifice RT and ML for simplicity of dies and saving silicon area, on top of huge caches, for the sake of using slower memory for power efficiency and have more focus on rasterization, seem to be a failed plan so far. Because look, not focusing on RT right now is totally a fine choice, but at least get a clear rasterization advantage, not 0-2% avg depending on the suite of games. When the competition has ~25% of silicon dedicated to RT and ML, it should be clear cut that you win rasterization. You cheap out on memory for costs and watts? Then it shouldn’t be a 40W (while Nvidia is on Samsung node..) difference with -$50. That cache for that memory choice is eating what AMD fans want (those that don’t care about RT) : rasterization performances.
To be fair to AMD - and I have no clue if this is their strategy - this could result in an extremely well priced mid-range card with excellent performance. RT does not matter for mid-range. We will see what they come up with in 2023 - all the components are there for a great price/performance card in the 400 USD bracket.

Buggy Loop

To be fair to AMD - and I have no clue if this is their strategy - this could result in an extremely well priced mid-range card with excellent performance. RT does not matter for mid-range. We will see what they come up with in 2023 - all the components are there for a great price/performance card in the 400 USD bracket.

That’s the goal of chiplets, but their mid range is apparently monolithic.. which in this case it might be good news because something’s off with the chiplet architecture as of now. Maybe RDNA 4

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Hard to assess those numbers without Q4 2022 and Q1 2023 given the launch dates of the new AMD cards. And the real question - which we do not have the answer to - is what the real GPU mid-market will look like this GPU generation (the 400 USD GPU market)? We need to wait for price/performance numbers - AMD could come back if they hit the market with the right product at a good price. AMD is doing well on the CPU side (it is reasonable to assume that the new 3D model will be the new gaming king) - however on the GPU side the 4090 is a beast so in the premium segment there is only one option right now and that is Nvidia.
“Can’t compare them right now, just wait a couple quarters. Then wait a couple more quarters after that”

^ man that’s the most AMD comment I’ve ever read.

Elog

“Can’t compare them right now, just wait a couple quarters. Then wait a couple more quarters after that”

^ man that’s the most AMD comment I’ve ever read.
That is not what I wrote: Nvidia owns the premium segment this generation as well (last sentence). However, I believe there might be a chance for AMD in the mid-range segment where RT does not matter - let's see. Personally I own an Nvidia card (2080Ti) but I want competition to be fierce. When I upgrade next year I will most likely get a 4090. However, I 'hope' that AMD becomes truly competitive in the mid-range. They have a chance but we will need to see those 7600 and 7700 cards next year to see where this lands.

Zathalus

Of course we'll bundle our DLSS3 software with the new RTX cards! Our customers expect no less of us. We have never sought to become a monopoly. Our products are simply so good that no one feels the need to compete with us. —Where do you want your RTX card today?
— CEO Jensen Huang, Nvidia press release

(Stolen from Alpha Centauri)

SomeGit

Nvidia stock is almost down as much. Semiconductors and tech in general have been hammered in 2022. Nothing exciting to report there.

It's almost like the pandemic tech bubble is now getting reality checked and there's an impending financial crysis coming.
Nvidia would also be at an all time low, if it wasn't for Q2 2019, not sure what happened there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom