• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discworld Games Thread

protonion

I adore the games and the books.

The first Discworld was the first pnc game I played that had speech. It blew my mind.
The music is amazing. The puzzles though were very tough without a walkthrough. Tons of items and locations and some bizzare logic for many of them.

The second game was better designed puzzle wise. I finished it without help. Huge graphic improvement also. However the writing took a hit for some reason.

Discworld Noir is the best game no one ever played. IIRC it was released only in Europe and is impossible to run it beyond winxp. There is online a complicated method to do so but I never managed to do it. (please gog)
The writing is phenomenal. The voice overs are some of the best ever. Lewton especially.
There is less focus on items and more on the notepad, the entries of which can be used as items and even be combined. Some notepad puzzles are amazing. Plus the plot twist at half point adds another layer to the game.
Its a pity we cannot play this game anymore easily.

Dr. Suchong

That crazy hermit type character in Discworld 2, sat atop some sort of cartwheel on a pole, shouting "Angus! Angus! Noo! put down that metal Hen!"
Is still stuck in my mind.
Loved both 1 and 2 but never played Noir.
Eric idle's Death song is a work of art.
So many great bits, impossible to mention/ remember all of them.
My first real point n click experience on Psone as I never had an Amiga or pc to play the other point n click greats at the time.

YCoCg

I liked the style of the first two games more, Rinchwind (especially with Eric Idle's voice acting) was just an all round great character getting into all sorts of shit. Noir was great as a spin off set in a different time on Discworld, the graphics haven't aged as well but the music for it was done very well:

Elios83

I still have my copy of Discworld Noir and it was a great investigation adventure.
Too bad that it doesn't run on new PCs and it hasn't been released digitally as far as I know.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Discworld Noir was really cool, a friend showed it to me when we were kids and I hadn't even heard of the books yet. It was my Grim Fandango since I never actually played that thing at the time.

As the chap above says, you can run a WinXP VM and install it there.

Tschumi

Discworld should be required reading for anyone who wants to have a political opinion.

I tried these games via adrenaline on my vita and loved them, but never got too far in them, not really my style.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I just tried Noir. There is a pretty good pause on the load times. For some reason, it took a while to install. I did the full install. The game is a little too dark. They really lean into using shadows.

Quasicat

I bought the first one for PlayStation on a Black Friday sale when I was in college. I bought each title from the bin regardless of what they were. All were crap except for this one and the VW Beetle racing game for N64. That was an awesome day!

Nico_D

Discworld Noir is one of the best detective games ever. If not the best, it's been a long time since I got to play it.

Reactions: Fuz

Krathoon

Allot of old games are like that. The exe just needs a few fixes to run in Windows 10. I wonder how he fixed it.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Given that Rhianna Pratchett (Sir Terry's daughter) is already a video games writer, they really should get something off the ground with a new Discworld game.

Krathoon

Given that Rhianna Pratchett (Sir Terry's daughter) is already a video games writer, they really should get something off the ground with a new Discworld game.
Didn't she say Discworld was over? I thought I heard that. I don't know what they will do with it. I do think videogames are the way to go.

I've finished first Discworld, I'm almost at the end of second and just sterted third one. All seem to fit into Discworld lore even if some things are twist around.

Krathoon

I am not certain how much involvement Pratchett had with Noir. It really seemed like the text at the beginning was written by him.

Mars2003

Neo Member
I remember playing the first one way back in 95-96. Had to take a trip into the city center every week to read a tips book, some of the things you had to combine were less than logical!

The puzzles made more sense if you were a fan of the books. However, as a kid, I didn't read them then. I still loved the game, even if it was mind-bogglingly difficult.

Top Bottom