• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

Crazy that Lucas is giving it up but at 4 billion he probably doesn't give a shit. This is probably good if you value the brand as Lucas has shown that he is inept at producing anything worth while.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
What is ILM? and I am shocked by this news. I am excited to see what Disney can do for LucasFilms.

Also I am going to predict that Disney will purchase other company at 2015. I would guess, Nintendo or Ghibli.

Nizz

What is ILM? and I am shocked by this news. I am excited to see what Disney can do for LucasFilms.

Also I am going to predict that Disney will purchase other company at 2015. I would guess, Nintendo or Ghibli.
Industrial Light & Magic, Lucas' special effects company.

B.K.

I wonder if Disney will ever release the theatrical versions of the Original Trilogy on DVD/Blu-Ray. It doesn't bother them to release old movies. Anything for money. This news is probably a new hope for getting it released.

What is ILM? and I am shocked by this news.

Industrial Light & Magic. It's Lucas's effects studio. There are actually one or two GAFfers that work there.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I think the reactionary nerd rage/worry is misplaced. The House of Mouse is very good at protecting their brands and promoting them, and making them profitable. I can't explain ESPN, but their entertainment brands are doing well. Episode 7 may surprise us all.

ari

Banned
This seems crazy to me.

Disney bought Pixar for $7.4 billion back in 2006.
Disney buys Lucasfilm and ILM for $4 billion in 2012.

pixar made about 10 revenue making movies....lucas film made like 2 in the last ten years...

Effect

Nope. He basically drove himself to the point of bankruptcy when they divorced to cut her totally out

This. I recalled hearing he paid her off so she'd no longer have any claim. She's not getting any of this.

I can't wait to see what Disney does with ILM and Skyward Sound.

jambo

Felt really weird waking up to this news.

I always knew that at some point there'd be an Episode 7 or a reboot, but it's pretty crazy to be living in a post Ep7 announcement world.

Kud Dukan

Felt really weird waking up to this news.

I always knew that at some point there'd be an Episode 7 or a reboot, but it's pretty crazy to be living in a post Ep7 announcement world.

I have no idea why I found this so funny.

I agree

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm sure everyone's clamoring for Red Tails II.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Remember how SPI did all the effects for every Sony Pictures release? Yeah, neither do I.
I was disappointed about Iron Man 3's primary visual effects vendor, but get the fuck over it.

Xun

I am overwhelmed, wow.

It has been in the rumourmill for a while, but I didn't expect an announcement so soon.

Fantastic news for Star Wars in my opinion, and also great for the Disney parks. Lucasfilm fits so perfectly with the Disney brand in my opinion.

Akahige

The fact that Disney now owns Lucasfilm makes it all the more silly that ILM isn't doing the effects for Iron Man 3.
Isn't it too late for that, a studio is already contracted to do it. ILM could do cleanup and small stuff during the rush period before the release date if they're needed I suppose but it would uncredited work right?

I am overwhelmed, wow.

It has been in the rumourmill for a while, but I didn't expect an announcement so soon.

Fantastic news for Star Wars in my opinion, and also great for the Disney parks. Lucasfilm fits so perfectly with the Disney brand in my opinion.

Indiana Jones & Star Wars were already the best thing about the Hollywood Studios park after the Tower of Terror

Cth

Star-Wars-Up-Mash-up.jpg

TAJ

Isn't it too late for that, a studio is already contracted to do it. ILM could do cleanup and small stuff during the rush period before the release date if they're needed I suppose but it would uncredited work right?

Yeah, ILM has been bailing out behind-schedule productions for a long time. In fact, one of their earliest rescue efforts was for a Disney-owned effects house. (Deep Rising)
It wouldn't be uncredited, though. Or necessarily small.

DieH@rd

Banned
Crazy news, but its the best possible thing that could happen to Star Wars franchsse. Im very happy right now, and I hope they will not fuck up with the upcoming movies [still wants Thrawn trilogy, PIXAR and ILM DO EEEEEEEEEET!!!]

2015 is shaping up to be the craziest year in the film history. Avengers 2, Justice League and Star Wars... Insanity.

New TV drama on ABC:

'Cloud City', starring Billy Dee Williams.

Make it happen, Disney. =)

funny-gifs-gangnam-han-solo-style.gif

ibfwUFP02VKK3G.gif

Mitsurux

Huge huge deal, i would argue that the biggest thing about the deal is disney now owns ILM and Skywalker sound.... HUGE players in the film industry.

Now Disney get us the "Original, non special edtion" original trilodgy on Blu-ray Diamond edition syle!!

Akahige

Yeah, ILM has been bailing out behind-schedule productions for a long time. In fact, one of their earliest rescue efforts was for a Disney-owned effects house. (Deep Rising)
It wouldn't be uncredited, though. Or necessarily small.
thanks for the info

zulfate

4billion wasnt lucas worth more? You guys think mr Lucas might be dying and passing his empire to mickey? Yes mickey is the new sith emperor!!! Obey motherfuckas!

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I wasn't expecting this. If George Lucas was going to hand over Lucas Film, I don't think he could have found a better buyer than Disney. At least they seem to care and have an idea of what fans want.

Anyway, has it been confirmed yet what all this deal includes? Do they get all the Lucas IP like Indiana Jones as well?

antonz

4billion wasnt lucas worth more? You guys think mr Lucas might be dying and passing his empire to mickey? Yes mickey is the new sith emperor!!! Obey motherfuckas!

Lucas is in his wanting to be Indie phase heavily. He has had close ties to Disney for a long time. Probably a big reason why Disney got it so cheap.

Kinyou

Wait was ILM part of LucasFilms?

Wait, really? Does this mean they have Lucas Arts as well? hm :/

What I always thought was really charming about the Lucas imperium is how all those companies seemed to do their own thing. ILM worked on far more movies than just Star Wars and Lucas Arts most famous games aren't even related to Star Wars either . I hope that the new Disney overwatch doesn't sync those companies up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom