• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disney should buy sega, apple, and DC comics and become the ULTIMATE company

DC is owned by Warner Brothers. Apple is much larger than Disney.

But they sorta already are the ultimate company.

They own:

ABC
ESPN
Marvel
Lucasfilm

In terms of intellectual properties, they own some of the most iconic characters and stories in America. Disney's name is stamped on characters and stories that have existed since the Great Depression and on top of that, they have a stranglehold on the sports media empire.

BFIB

The more I'm letting this sink in, the more OK I'm becoming with it. Its crazy, but even though nothing about Star Wars is "mine", I kind of feel like it is. Empire is still my favorite movie, its the only movie series I make a habit of watching at least once a year. Star Wars will always be a part of my life, and I think that's why this news hit me so hard. As much as I'm not a fan of Lucas on the present day, there's a lot about him I admire from his youth. To me, with the good and the bad, he IS Star Wars. Now, for the first time in my life of 32 years, he's not.

But, now that I have let that sink in, it has hit me how much this franchise is a shadow of what it used to be. And obviously, Lucas is ready to hang 'em up, so I'm ready to see what some new direction, and new vision will bring.

Its going to feel really weird not hearing the drum beat of 20th Century Fox at the beginning.

mclem

Holy shit, I've just realised that this has potential to have ramifications for the parks, too. Forget a MI movie, let's have a Monkey Island ride, taking us 'round the island and into the giant monkey head.

Big Whoop is *real*, folks.

SykoTech

Much like when they acquired Marvel, I don't really know how to react.

I'm not that fond of how things have been going for Marvel since Disney scooped them up (paticularly that terrible Ultimate Spider-Man show), so my initial thought is kinda negative. But Lucas has been doing plenty of bad things on their own, so I could see this turning an improvement. Wait and see, I guess.

Puddles

Banned
Star Wars is a shit IP in 2012. 3 shit movies and a shit animated series have devalued that thing like the Zimbabwe dollar.

Did Disney also get the Indy IP? I'm not 100% sure now that I'm reading more into this.

Holy shit, I've just realised that this has potential to have ramifications for the parks, too. Forget a MI movie, let's have a Monkey Island ride, taking us 'round the island and into the giant monkey head.

Big Whoop is *real*, folks.

I will be surprised if anything good happens with the adventure game franchises. Anything at all actually.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Did Disney also get the Indy IP? I'm not 100% sure now that I'm reading more into this.

I will be surprised if anything good happens with the adventure game franchises. Anything at all actually.

They did, but it sounds like they are just going to let it die

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Holy crap. My mouth dropped when I heard the news today. Honestly, this is good news overall. The Star Wars movies can't go anywhere but up. If they get worse (episode 7, etc.) then the prequel trilogy was already crap so I couldn't care less; however, if it turns out to be an awesome trilogy then that's a great thing for us all. I still hold on to hope that the prequel trilogy will be erased and a new one will replace it (where Anakin doesn't turn into Darth Vader via a stupid romance subplot that becomes the main plot).

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
That's a pretty good deal for Disney. Another trilogy should pay off that investment alone.

And it's not like Star Wars is refined entertainment...especially episodes 1 & 2. The best episode was 5 and Lucas had the least involvement, so this actually might be good for the series.

Star Wars is a shit IP in 2012. 3 shit movies and a shit animated series have devalued that thing like the Zimbabwe dollar.

There was a time when Apple, Nintendo, Marvel, and Star Trek were all considered shit brands that should be mercy killed. There is a healthy gap between the prequels and this relaunch and they will probably snuff out the cartoon and the EU junk for awhile to build some strong pent up demand.

Alphahawk

I think I read somewhere that before Pirates of the Caribean became a thing, Lucasarts was trying to get a Legend of Monkey Island movie made. I believe a couple of the screenwriters on the project eventually went on to write Black Pearl

What I'm saying is that it'd be worthwile investment to make a Monkey Island movie trilogy.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT

lXZKH.jpg

Animated series has gotten a lot better since it started.

Drakeon

Holy fuck, could not believe this news when I saw it on twitter at work. We could actually get decent star wars movies again.

Hopefully they find someone great to write/direct.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
lXZKH.jpg

Animated series has gotten a lot better since it started.

Well, there's no way it could be worse than the one episode I saw, so I'll take your word for it.

apana

I can't process this.

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO FEEL

(other than vague fear)

Same here. I am not sure what to think right now. The strange thing is that for the past few weeks I have been thinking about Star Wars at random moments of the day. Was the force trying to tell me something?

The original films are classics but the prequels were really lame, they have not aged well at all. I suppose anything is better than George Lucas but then again I have no idea what kind of horrible things Disney has planned for the next trilogy. Are they going to get all the old actors back? This seems bizarre to me. I'd prefer something hundreds of years after the events of ROTJ or maybe even a Sith/Jedi origin story. I'd love to see what Christopher Nolan could do with Star Wars. Please contact me Disney and I will give you ideas for free.

ElFly

Yes, but in that case the Comics are canon and the films are just fun to watch, but not a part of the "canon storyline".

In the case of Star Wars the movies were always true Canon, with the official adult Novels and Comics one step below. Then video games and other media a step below that.

The novels were the second highest canon, now SW fans will need to decide if the movies are still "real" canon or if the novels take precedence.

For Marvel it is easy, Comics came first, so you can ignore the movie if you want. For Star Wars the movies came first. Hard to ignore what has been considered canon for 20 years though.

Well, in that case, any movie Disney does also has the status of True Canon, so they will trump and contradict the EU, which is only Somewhat Canon.

Say goodbye to the EU.

re:marvel
Marvel comics sell so little that I doubt they are kept as anything else than as a self sustaining writer/artists/movie plots incubator.

BLAZER

An exciting turn of events for the stars wars franchise and LucasFlims.

The only way is forward from now on. Disney was the best option with George wanting to retire from the industry. Great news.

Let's get this ball rolling.

apana

I was thinking an interesting idea for a Jedi origin story would be to have it focus around events occuring on one planet. Perhaps a planet with technology similar to ours and then the Sith invade. The resistance movement in response to the Sith is what results in the creation of the Jedi. I've always liked the idea of the Sith being the first ones to use the force. I don't really care about the expanded universe stuff, just throw that out. What do you guys think?

M. Night Shyamalan directing.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
4B seems like a bargain. Same price they payed for Marvel. Only half what they paid for Pixar (7.4).

As part of the deal George Lucas has stated in the contract that the orignal trilogy is never to be released and if it does the buy out will be null and void.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom