• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLAZER

4B seems like a bargain. Same price they payed for Marvel. Only half what they paid for Pixar (7.4).

That's what i thought. With ILM thrown in as well, what a bargain.

I mean if it got as much hype as Avatar did. Episode 7 just by itself would pay for this acquisition.

I really would have thought this entire takeover would be a least 6-7B. Maybe no-one wanted to pay that much even though to me it seems like it is worth that amount on paper.

Very interesting.

lupinko

Much like when they acquired Marvel, I don't really know how to react.

I'm not that fond of how things have been going for Marvel since Disney scooped them up (paticularly that terrible Ultimate Spider-Man show), so my initial thought is kinda negative. But Lucas has been doing plenty of bad things on their own, so I could see this turning an improvement. Wait and see, I guess.

Oh please, marvel has made crappier cartoons long before Disney.

http://youtu.be/9B-NnDPjYwc

Star Wars is a shit IP in 2012. 3 shit movies and a shit animated series have devalued that thing like the Zimbabwe dollar.

Not as popular as it once was? No shit.

Shit enough not to be worth a cut of $4 billion, film rights, merchandising rights and stuff to put into their theme parks? :lol

apana

4B seems like a bargain. Same price they payed for Marvel. Only half what they paid for Pixar (7.4).

Maybe George Lucas wanted the money quickly? Also Disney may have convinced him that they would be the best company for his franchise going forward.

Interesting, I would be up for a reboot of Indiana Jones well if they found a charismatic enough lead. Bond can survive through several great actors.

According to the conference call they have no plans for Indy for the foreseeable future due to the partial ownership by Paramount.

It sucks, I know. I still think we'll get another Indy movie sometime in the next few years but not by Disney.

Wonder if Disney will pimp Indiana Jones harder at its parks. I know Hollywood Studios already has the stunt show and alot of merchandise but I wouldn't mind seeing it pushed harder.

Wonder if Disney will pimp Indiana Jones harder at its parks. I know Hollywood Studios already has the stunt show and alot of merchandise but I wouldn't mind seeing it pushed harder.

Iger made it sound like Indiana Jones is stuck in the same spot as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. Paramount has that shit on lock.

I doubt we will ever see another Harrison Ford Indiana Jones movie. Most likely a cartoon and eventually a reboot.

Iger made it sound like Indiana Jones is stuck in the same spot as Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men. Paramount has that shit on lock.

I doubt we will ever see another Harrison Ford Indiana Jones movie. Most likely a cartoon and eventually a reboot.

Same with the original trilogy. Fox has that. But I'd bet Fox would put out original blu-rays in a heartbeat to cash in.

The great thing about all this news is that Lucas loses primary creative control.

oh, I thought that was just specifically movies.
fuuu a semi serious Indy cartoon(BTAS, Young Justice, Mystery Incorporated) could be great.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Star Wars is a shit IP in 2012. 3 shit movies and a shit animated series have devalued that thing like the Zimbabwe dollar.

Star Wars has still been a very very strong merchandising arm. There's still tons of toys. LEGO alone has been a huge hit not just in toy form, but the videogames.

Except the animated series isn't shit; it's far from it. Clone Wars is actually good Star Wars and anyone who is saying otherwise really hasn't watched the series all the way through. It's good stuff. It even says something when they don't have to rely on the Jedi, Sith, or principle characters to still have great episodes.

apana

Same with the original trilogy. Fox has that. But I'd bet Fox would put out original blu-rays in a heartbeat to cash in.

The great thing about all this news is that Lucas loses primary creative control.

I like the idea of him giving them the general story he had in mind and letting everyone else do the real work of expanding upon it and putting it on screen. Being rid of Lucas is good but I just hope it doesn't turn into a lightsaber orgy and generic sci-fi. I still want the focus on mythology and adventure that the first three films had. In particular the mythology and building up of the universe need to be front and center, not lame jokes and special effects that don't age well. I understand that no one will capture that magic again but I hope they try.

There won't be another actor like Harrison Ford ever again; so I can't see a reboot of the Indy franchise. I'd like to see an animated Indy with the likeness of a young Harrison Ford though...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There won't be another actor like Harrison Ford ever again; so I can't see a reboot of the Indy franchise. I'd like to see an animated Indy with the likeness of a young Harrison Ford though...

I could live with that, who would do the voice though? We'd have to have Harrison Ford record every possible line just in case.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Which Lucasfilm IP does Disney now fully control?

Just Star Wars?

They don't fully control Star Wars. Fox still has distribution rights on the existing ones.

I could live with that, who would do the voice though? We'd have to have Harrison Ford record every possible line just in case.
I remember reading about some tech that could database the voice recordings of older or deceased actors and use them in new ways; I think...

DanteFox

DisneyLucasFilm_489x295_0.jpg

Signing his dream away...

so that's what that looks like.

gabbo

Does this mean Lucas won't be involved in the next trilogy?

That would great. Maybe they won't suck.

It will depend on how much control Kathleen Kennedy is given I suppose, since she said in a clip earlier that she'd keep Lucas onboard as much as possible for future Star Wars films (also he said he has notes and such sketched out)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So if the original trilogy was being released it would have to be by fox? Disney had a better chance of doing that.

But it sounds like they are in a position to give Fox permission to do that.
And it's pretty common for studios to go in together on home video products. Like the Mel Brooks Collection from Fox has Blazing Saddles, which is owned by WB.

Izick

He's going to be a consultant.

I still wonder how the new trilogy would have been if George hadn't become a dictator at Lucasfilm and had full control and resources to make them the way he did. When you have nobody to challenge you creatively then you're going to get a lot of weird shit that makes people go, "huh" as seen in the prequels....I guess the same thing kind of goes financially as well. I mean, it was Star Wars so he could just do anything he wanted to at the time, because he had the money and the clout to do so. Yeah, money buys you A listers, pretty sets, and CGI, but I would think it also means you can take a lot more shortcuts, and you use your ingenuity a lot less as a director...

I don't know, I don't like talking about the prequels to much as I usually just repeat what Red Letter Media has said for the most part. They basically covered everything perfectly, and I agree with them on the prequels completely.

If they couldn't get Ford I don't think it would be that hard to find someone with a good enough voice.
I don't recall any Han or Indy voice from games that were awful.

xenist

Haha. I hate the prequels more than most but Star Wars a shit IP? In which universe?

Star Wars merchandizing/PIXAR movie merchandizing/Disney movie merchandizing/Marvel merchandizing/Disney Princess merchandizing under one direction means that Disney now has every first world couple with kids locked down for years. Multiple billions of dollars each year. Cars alone has done well over four billions in merchandizing and it's one of dozens of IPs that Disney has. And that's not giving any consideration to anything other than merchandizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom