• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Was Lucasfilm doing badly before the acquisition? 4 billion seems like a bargain price. Whoever orchestrated this deal at Disney is going to be promoted.

cntr

Banned
nNncH.gif

A new Star Wars? What what what.

lupinko

Was Lucasfilm doing badly before the acquisition? 4 billion seems like a bargain price. Whoever orchestrated this deal at Disney is going to be promoted.

Well, George Lucas got $2 billion in cash and $2 billion in Disney shares.

He's the second largest shareholder after the Jobs Trust, so he makes out pretty well.

cruets

how old is lucas? wonder if he's in bad health or something and needed to find a caretaker for lucasfilm and star wars before he heads off into the sunset?

pants

A good move. Disney has handled Marvel very well and will certainly improve on where Lucas let Star Wars down. Expanded universe movies?? :D New Indy (that doesnt suck) :D If they can revive superhero films, why not.

Not sure if answered yet but... what does this mean for LucasArts games etc?

edit: nevermind found it, so they got LucasArts as well eh?

Awesome, this means there is actually HOPE for a Grim Fandango port/remake now ;)

Ikael

So... Disney is going to rescue the Star Wars franchise from George Lucas's hands?

I can't believe that I just wrote that.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Sculli makes me ashamed to be a Cameron fan.

RobbieNick

Here's what I wrote on FB.

I love how people are freaking out about Disney's Lucasfilm acquisition. You...did see the last trilogy right? The less Lucas is involved, the better the Star Wars product these days. Clone Wars is proof of that. Great show. Plus, look at it this way, you'll probably be stuck with either of two director's for Episode 7 and BOTH are better than what Lucas can do now...

Best probable option: Josh Whedon (Buffy, Firefly, Dr. Horrible, Avengers) YES!! The absolute best choice. Josh knows how to make a movie or show with great characters and great action.

Worst probable option: Jeremy Bruckhiemer (POTC Trilogy, Prince of Persia, John Carter) Bruckhiemer is great at making a move with a big adventure, but tends to overdo it with way too many characters and a silly, overcomplicated plot. His best work is the first POTC and John Carter IMO. Sooo he's very hit or miss (but at least he can sometimes hit).

So goodbye overbearing, total control, Lucas and hello creative consultant who won't write or direct. No matter how you look at it, this is GOOD news!...

...Unless your Dark Horse or WB. In the future, I see Marvel putting out DH reprints while Cartoon Network sees its final season of Clone Wars most likely.

The worst news, if you think Star Wars got shoved down your throat before, OOOHH HOHO! It's gonna get a lot worse.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"Josh"... "probable"... lawl
He's not directing two blockbusters for the same summer.

LOL @ Whedon being the best choice.

Man, that would be absolutely fucking awful.

Gotta agree with this. I'm not worried about disney buying the star wars rights but the idea of Whedon doing the new films would really worry me. Nothing against his other work but he isn't suited to the franchise at all, nor do i think there is much chance of him actually doing it.

Visceir

Imagine how old you will be when the last part of the new trilogy gets released and then when it gets realeased think back to this moment and realize how much time has passed and how old you've become.

Wasn't Serenity Whedon's big Star Wars film anyway? Came across as a decent popcorn flick but it certainly wasn't strong enough to justify his presence on a new Star Wars film. His new star status in the 'Geekdom' on the other hand might lead to something.

Imagine how old you will be when the last part of the new trilogy gets released and then when it gets realeased think back to this moment and realize how much time has passed and how old you've become.

All I remember is sitting in a theater watching Phantom Menace as a six year old and being bored as fuck.

TAJ

All I remember is sitting in a theater watching Phantom Menace as a six year old and being bored as fuck.

My mom was a huge fan before the prequels. I met up with her to see The Phantom Menace on opening day and she fell asleep. It was a matinee...

Dies Iræ

Wasn't Serenity Whedon's big Star Wars film anyway? Came across as a decent popcorn flick but it certainly wasn't strong enough to justify his presence on a new Star Wars film. His new star status in the 'Geekdom' on the other hand might lead to something.

Serenity was made on a 40 million dollar budget. That includes marketing. The entire film. And it's better than all of the prequels combined.

Now, I'm not nominating Joss Whedon to write or direct the new Star Wars films, but he's made the best sci fi action film in recent memory. Serenity is a fantastic movie, held back by its microscopic budget and ties to a little-known televised series.

Dies Iræ;43807728 said:
Serenity was made on a 40 million dollar budget. That includes marketing. The entire film. And it's better than all of the prequels combined.

Now, I'm not nominating Joss Whedon to write or direct the new Star Wars films, but he's made the best sci fi action film in recent memory. Serenity is a fantastic movie, held back by its microscopic budget and ties to a little-known televised series.

M9iFB.jpg

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I think the quality of episodes I, II & III are close to a universal fact, than opinion now :)

I think The Phantom Menace sucked, Clones was OK, and Sith was pretty good, so, nope. People who dislike something just tend to make a lot more noise than people who like something. Especially with a cultural phenomenon on the level of Star Wars.

D.Lo

Dies Iræ;43807728 said:

Well said.

Dies Iræ;43808082 said:
What's better?

Pretty much ANY sci-fi action flick since Serenity has been better than Serenity. Well okay, that's not true. I guess it's better than Skyline and Battle: LA.

But if you want to get into real examples, off the top of my head:

Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Sunshine
Star Trek (09)
District 9
Looper
Dredd

And that's not including comic book movies like Iron Man etc

I loved Serenity as a series but to claim the actual movie of it (which was imo barely half as good as the show) is the best Sci-Fi movie in recent history DOES seem a little far fetched...

pants

Pretty much ANY sci-fi action flick since Serenity has been better than Serenity. Well okay, that's not true. I guess it's better than Skyline and Battle: LA.

Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Sunshine
Star Trek (09)
District 9
Looper
Dredd

This is a crazy post man. You have very peculiar taste.

Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Sunshine
Star Trek (09)
District 9
Looper
Dredd

V for Vendetta and Dredd are both "Comic Book" movies.

Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Sunshine
Star Trek (09)
District 9
Looper
Dredd

You forgot to mention Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.