• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney acquiring LucasFilm for 4.05 billion dollars

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter who they get to do these movies, they have to keep it true to the originals and not turn into some random fanboys personal dream. Folks wanting some kind of serious sci fi or dark and gritty film series..... *shakes head*. Anyone they get to work on Star Wars has to keep with the feel of the originals and understand it's a space opera with heavy pulp influences and it's fantasy, not Sci Fi. Star Wars was never sci-fi and even the original treatments of it called it a space fantasy.

Am I the only one who is excited for this?

I think after the success they had with Marvel, Disney knows pleasing the core audience will print more cash than what Lucas has been doing lately. Also, it really can't get worse at this rate.

Also, I'm more confident than ever my young self will finally see the original unedited trilogy.

I wonder what red letter media thinks about this???? Ha. Did lucas go to disney or vice versa?

Oh, avengers is not that great. It's ok. I don't know why people act like it's amazing.

Am I the only one who is excited for this?

I think after the success they had with Marvel, Disney knows pleasing the core audience will print more cash than what Lucas has been doing lately. Also, it really can't get worse at this rate.

Also, I'm more confident than ever my young self will finally see the original unedited trilogy.

A lot of folk are writing this, but let's remember that Disney didn't have too much to do with how the Marvel movies turned out. Those were planned and packaged by Marvel Studios before Disney bought Marvel.

jmdajr

Pretty much ANY sci-fi action flick since Serenity has been better than Serenity. Well okay, that's not true. I guess it's better than Skyline and Battle: LA.

But if you want to get into real examples, off the top of my head:

Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Sunshine
Star Trek (09)
District 9
Looper
Dredd

And that's not including comic book movies like Iron Man etc

I think to get the most out of Serenity you have to watch the tv show. I didn't watch the tv show and thought the movie was great but not the most awesome thing ever.

I think to get the most out of Serenity you have to watch the tv show. I didn't watch the tv show and thought the movie was great but not the most awesome thing ever.

I may be alone in this, but surprisingly enough, i was a little disappointed by the movie after having enjoyed the show so much.

I suppose it's understandable though since most post beloved show movies in that style end up the same why, they are condensed into one quick mess because they need to fit everything fans wanted in there and simultaneously attract or please an audience which does NOT know the IP! (See Farscape and Star Trek TNG movies for a similar effect where the shows were far superior)

At his age he may as well sign it away. Hes like 70 or something so 5 million or 4 billion - he has more money than he knows what to do with or could possibly spend in his remaining years.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
You forgot to mention Moon!

xya1e.png

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
George Lucas is using Fox to hold the OT hostage to make sure Disney plays ball.

He will NEVER allow the original versions to be released

Actually, ANH is the only SW film which was financed by Fox, since Lucas was an unknown at the time, unlike the other films, which were independently financed by Lucasfilm. This is why Fox controls the home video rights for Episode IV. This is out of Lucas' control.

George Lucas is using Fox to hold the OT hostage to make sure Disney plays ball.

He will NEVER allow the original versions to be released

Well I guess we don't have to worry about that anymore(I hope Disney finds a way).

Actually, it would be worth it for Fox to release it since it would be a cash cow. Right?

Actually, ANH is the only SW film which was financed by Fox, since Lucas was an unknown at the time, unlike the other films, which were independently financed by Lucasfilm. This is why Fox controls the home video rights for Episode IV. This is out of Lucas' control.

If that were true then how come Fox never released the original version of ANH?

Mitsurux

This article shed some interesting perspective on the whole Star Wars, lucafil/Fox issues:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/buyingstarwars.html

An interesting exerpt

It has never been reported, but I believe that Lucasfilm offered Fox distribution rights only if they would hand over the rights to the original Star Wars. Fox obviously agreed to this at some point--when the SE was released in 1997, the prints, posters and video boxes said that Empire and Jedi were copyright Lucasfilm but that Star Wars was copyright Fox. The next time the films were released was in 2000 on VHS, where Empire and Jedi were copyright Lucasfilm--but now Star Wars was copyright Lucasfilm as well. Its no coincidence that between that time a deal was hammered out between the two mega-corporations to give Fox distribution of Lucasfilm's prequels.

It was never announced anywhere. But, quietly, Lucasfilm was given the rights to the original film by Fox. To the studio, it must have looked like a good deal, even if it was a hard bargain--they lost their number one property but they gained theatrical and video distribution to three more properties that potentially were all going to all be more popular.

I'm sure this has been mentioned, but with this sale, that means that ILM is now owned by disney right? if that's right, that means that after iron man 3, they will probably be put to work on all future marvel movies as well as the next avengers.

in the long term, just based on the marvel movies, disney must be looking at a substantial saving by buying lucasart and ILM. or am I missing something?

I think Disney would still have to pay ILM for their services; for tax reasons. SPE does the same thing for Sony Imageworks.

oh right, thanks.

so will owning them provides other benefits? like not having to pay too much or having to put out a bidding process like they did with iron man 3.

I would have thought owning one of the best fx companies would be a massive boon for them in terms of long term costs and such, but then I've never been good at business and how it works.

Just as Lucas did when he used ILM. He just got great pricing on their services.

oh right, thanks.

so will owning them provides other benefits? like not having to pay too much or having to put out a bidding process like they did with iron man 3.

I would have thought owning one of the best fx companies would be a massive boon for them in terms of long term costs and such, but then I've never been good at business and how it works.
Hopefully they get great discounts and won't have another Iron Man 3 situation.

Oh woah. ILM is included in this deal too eh? For some reason I thought ILM was spun off to be an independent company. I wonder if Disney did this deal partially because they wanted ILM to do all of their comic book movies from now on? There was negative response on the CG in the Iron Man 3 trailer due to ILM not handling it.

RobbieNick

Ah Internet, so predictable you are...

zgR3b.jpg

PvoII.jpg

BZ9Yk.jpg

E8dsg.jpg

pT0tv.jpg

gbHPI.jpg

They DO know Disney's already been selling Disney/Star Wars mash-up merchandise in their stores for years now right? With stuff like Star Tours and Jedi Academy being at Disneyland for years, seeing Disney/Star Wars mashups is no big deal. (The creepiest being a poster of Minnie Mouse as Slave Leia.) Hell, I own a Boba Fett/Pete figure.

SykoTech

Oh please, marvel has made crappier cartoons long before Disney.

http://youtu.be/9B-NnDPjYwc

Never said they didn't. But an old show like that hardly has anything to do with current Marvel now does it?

Though to be fair, I guess Ultimate Spider-Man could just be Marvel's own fault with Loeb and all. But I wouldn't be surprised if Disney had a hand in it as well since it fits in so well with every other crappy show they push on Disney XD, P&F aside.

Pretty much ANY sci-fi action flick since Serenity has been better than Serenity. Well okay, that's not true. I guess it's better than Skyline and Battle: LA.

But if you want to get into real examples, off the top of my head:

Children of Men
V for Vendetta
Sunshine
Star Trek (09)
District 9
Looper
Dredd

And that's not including comic book movies like Iron Man etc
I'm going to pretend that Sculli was banned for badmouthing Serenity.

After episode 9 i want Stars Knights of the OLD republic, take it back 5000 years before the empire where Sith and Jedi battles were a norm....

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
After episode 9 i want Stars Knights of the OLD republic, take it back 5000 years before the empire where Sith and Jedi battles were a norm....

No, thanks. Pre-Luke Jedi suck. They're like Mormon accountants with lightsabers, except not nearly as cool.
Unless we're removing the prequels from canon... Then you might as well just redo the prequels from scratch instead.

The Wrap: Inside LucasFilm's Tangled Web of Rights - Great article with some interesting info.

The rights to the first film in the "Star Wars" franchise, retroactively titled "A New Hope," are wholly owned by 20th Century Fox, an individual with knowledge of the deal told TheWrap. And Fox's claim on Luke, Leia and Han Solo doesn't stop there. While Lucasfilm controls the other films in the series, Fox maintains theatrical and home-video distribution rights to those films through May, 2020, historically charging a fee of between 6 percent to 8 percent of receipts.

Paramount, which distributed all four films in the adventure franchise, has an option to distribute any future sequels, an individual with knowledge of the pact told TheWrap. It only earns a distribution fee for its pains, but that will eat into any profits for Disney.

Should another Indy film make it out of the gate, that fee will be on the order of what the studio charged to handle the 2008 rollout of "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull": Roughly 12.5 percent of theatrical, home entertainment and television revenue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom