• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney and Pixar’s Soul

sol_bad

I liked it but both of my kids found it very boring, definitely not a kids movie. They might as well of made this a live action movie geared towards adults instead. Big fail from pixar

Why is it a big fail if kids don't like it? Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it has to be geared towards kids. I don't think it's a failure if adults get more out of it then kids.
I personally loved Soul a lot and loved that twist at the mid point because the trailers didn't show that. Not as good as Wall-e, Ratatouille or Coco but still very good.

*EDIT*
Oh my God, why are people talking about abortion?

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Why is it a big fail if kids don't like it? Just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it has to be geared towards kids. I don't think it's a failure if adults get more out of it then kids.
I personally loved Soul a lot and loved that twist at the mid point because the trailers didn't show that. Not as good as Wall-e, Ratatouille or Coco but still very good.
It's a failure as a kids movie, it's good that you enjoyed it and I somewhat did as well, there was a very positive and touching moral to the story but it is still a pixar and animated movie geared towards kids and it fails it that department

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Kept asking myself how hard it was to render/animate a scene while watching it. Impressed by the crowd scenes. Looked very good. Hope games reach this level one day.

Codes 208

But the film has nothing to do with abortion.
Its out-of-context of the film rather than focusing around it. People are finding a deeper message to the concept of how souls are represented in this movie. Kinda like how you can’t have a Jurassic park movie without people arguing feathers vs non-feathers despite that being a literal non-issue in the film.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I bet this guy watched Avatar and the Marvel movies not realizing these movies are more cartoon than live action.
I've seen none of those movies, quite actually.

I want to see Avatar one day though, as it's one of the highest grossing movies of all time.

Last edited:
I've tried watching Avatar several times and it puts me to sleep in the first act every time. I do not recommend watching it. I had a massive tooth ache once and could not sleep, so I watched K-Pax and it put me to sleep. It worked better than pain pills. Avatar can do the same.

Back to Soul: This is a weird movie. The concept is weird. The voice switching is weird. I don't know what to make of it, but that's better than being boring.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Probably my favourite Pixar movie in a long time outside Toy Story. I'm thinking 2008-2012 Pixar with WALL-E, Up, and Brave.

as for visuals it's outstanding but the character animations dont seem to blend in well with the environments at times.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
I finally watched the last ten minutes of this movie which I missed while I was watching it initially because I had to load a stroller in a van and yes while the ending itself was a bit of a letdown I’m mostly just surprised that any extension of Disney made a movie in 2020 with the implication of some kind of afterlife/prelife/etc.

Ar¢tos

Watchable, but didn't care for it. Specially the ending... "You are a great guy, you get a second chance!"
Are we now supposed to teach kids that the world is going to give them second chances everytime they screw up?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Im a huge Disney/Pixar fan and I felt it was one of their weakest movies. Usually Pixar movies have all these layers of messages and feelings.. this movie felt flat with very little depth.

Last edited:
I enjoyed it. It went down a safer route kinda like wall-e and inside out but overall I enjoyed it.

Their shit movies are often criticized and deservingly so (cars 2, the good dinosaur, big hero 6)

but the toy story line, monsters inc, rattatoui and wall-e are god tier.

coco is ok
I think all these movies that you listed are ok. I wouldn’t say I would have missed anything by not watching them (except maybe Monsters Inc.).

Thought it was okay/borderline good, some good parts for sure, the kids enjoyed it and have watched it a bunch of times since Christmas.

Top Bottom