• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney movie club to shut down

reinking

Gold Member
Source: The Digital Bits

Good summary from the update

BREAKING NEWS UPDATE (2/20/24 – 2 PM PACIFIC)

Regarding the Disney/Sony physical media news that we broke this morning here on The Digital Bits, we’ve learned the following additional information from our industry sources:

• Once again, we’ve confirmed that Disney is indeed in the process of transitioning to a licensed physical media distribution model via a new agreement with Sony Entertainment.
  • As part of this deal, Sony will market, sell, and distribute new Disney releases plus catalog titles on physical media (4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray, DVD, etc.) to consumers through retailers and distributors in the U.S. and Canada.
  • This shift is consistent with other strategies that Disney is working to implement company-wide, as exemplified by the company’s recent transitions in other markets.
  • Per usual, Disney regularly evaluates their approach to the physical media market as the home entertainment business and industry at large continue to rapidly evolve alongside consumer behavior.
  • This agreement will allow Disney to continue offering its films and TV shows via physical media retailers and distributors, and most importantly to disc consumers more efficiently.
  • The transition for Disney handing over its physical media operations to Sony has recently commenced and will probably take several month to complete.
  • The first Disney title that will be managed by Sony on physical media will be The First Omen (20th Century Studios), which arrives in theaters on 4/5/24 (digital and physical street dates are TBD will be announced in the coming months).

No, Sony is not giving up Spider-Man in this deal. I looked. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

*Sorry for the all caps title. I copied it from the source. Thank you awesome mod that changed the title.

Last edited:
AVQMmgE.gif

Quasicat

It’s time to the get the rest of the exclusives on BluRay. I picked up A Goofy Movie, which is the only way to get it widescreen and in HD. I need to pick up Swiss Family Robinson, The Parent Trap, and PollyAnna before they stop the Disney Movie Club; I have them on DVD, but I think that’s the only way to get them on BluRay.

GloveSlap

This could be a very good thing depending on how much control Sony will have over the technical aspects of the Disney stuff they release. Sony is by far the best major studio when it comes to home video releases and Disney just isn't.

reinking

Gold Member
My understanding is Sony will have control about releases and features. I believe this could be a step in the right direction for getting more Disney movies on DVD.

I remember trying to finagle those DMC deals, looking for contract loopholes, and seeing if any of the good codes still worked that came with a bonus little blanket. Those were good times. Good thing for my wallet that Disney doesn't make movies that are worth owning anymore.

Audiophile

Gold Member
The Sony deal is great news as a 4K Blu-ray/Blu-ray guy. Touchstone, Hollywood Pics, Buena Vista & Fox have all been held hostage under Disney and Sony remain strong on physical media.

Top Bottom