• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DND (Do not disturbe) on android phone is broken

Shtef

As a long time iPhone user I have decided to change to Android phone and I've bought Samsung Galaxy A52s 5G model which is pretty great.
I got used to it pretty quickly but there is one thing that's annoying me, DND doesnt work at all.
Before bed I would always turn on DND on my iPhone and it would silence all notifications except some calls from favorites, but on the android phone it doesn't work.
Even if DND is turned on I am still getting notifications from Viber. I searched online and I couldn't find any solution.
Putting it to silent is not really a solution because I need to allow phone calls from my family in case of emergency.
How are you guys handling this?

Edit: Here are my settings
fC26dDx.jpg
ntkO3nq.jpg

Last edited:
its not even enabled in those pictures.
Yup, this. OP should be embarrassed that he went through all this effort of creating a full thread, with screenshots... Only for the screenshots to show the feature isn't even enabled 😂

mine is scheduled every night 10pm-6am and works perfectly

I use my Android "Do Not Disturb" feature literally every night, and it works flawlessly.

Last edited:
Then debug methodically:

Is this "Viber" (never heard of it) the only App that you still get notifications from when on DND? Or are there others?

If it's only Viber, manually enable DND and have somebody (preferably not one of your favorites) call/text you. If it still goes through, then you'll have to mess with Viber itself.

I mean, when I did a two-second Google search, the very first result that came up was someone complaining about Viber still notifying them on DND... On an APPLE phone:

Shtef

Its a chat app that's is used in my country.
Even with dnd on i am still getting notifications with sound.

Star-Lord

I think there's a communication error somewhere. InfiniteCombo InfiniteCombo is well aware you're having issues with DND being active but still allowing Viber alerts through, which is why they linked you to a thread on the Apple site - yes, you're on Android, but the fact both Android and iOS have issues would signify that the app is the problem. I'd try uninstalling Viber for one night, turn on DND, and see what happens. If it works flawlessly, it's the app that's the problem. If not, well, you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have same phone, works flawlessly for me. I am not familiar with Viber, but since it's using you can make calls and send messages, maybe it has a priority, you can uncheck using exceptions I guess, but then nobody will reach you probably even over the phone.

Already some good comments on this thread, and here's another thing to try:

If you go into your Settings, then enter "Do not Disturb" on the search text, you should get two results:
(1) The standard "Do Not Disturb"
(2) Something called "Do not Disturb Permission"

If you choose #2 it should take you to a screen with a list of some Apps and every app listed should say "Not Allowed" (as in, the app shouldn't notify you when the phone is on Do Not Disturb mode). See if Viber is listed as an app there.

Shtef

Thanks, i tried that but viber is not in the list at all. I can see google play services are enabled for notifications when in dnd mode, should i turn that off?
oV3ar2S.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, i tried that but viber is not in the list at all. I can see google play services are enabled for notifications when in dnd mode, should i turn that off?
I have mine as "not allowed."

I don't know what all the "Do not Disturb" options are on your phone. But it may be a case that Viber specifically may be overriding the system settings for Do Not Disturb.

EDIT: found this online, multiple people complaining precisely of your problem with Viber specifically:

Last edited:
Shtef Shtef last thing -- If you go into Settings-> "Apps", then choose "Viber" you should see a "Notifications" section. It has all the stock Android notification things, if you don't see anything related to Do Not Disturb then go to "in-app notifications" which should be the very last menu item in the notifications section. That will take you to the settings within Viber itself. See if you can see anything related to DND there.

If none of that works, I'm afraid I don't have an immediate answer for you. I would definitely offer more help but I have to start work. I'll keep an eye out on this thread though and if you don't have a solution by the time I'm done with work tonight (I'm in the United States and it's morning here, so I'll be working for the next 12 hours or so), then I will keep looking at it.

Good luck, man 👍🏾

Last edited:
Top Bottom