• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Don Pachi Daioujou

The End

So i finally got a slide card for my PS2, and I'm catching up on all of the games I've "missed".
At this point though, the only place i can find DDPD is at Play-Asia, and it's $80. Is it worth it? I mean, I loved the first two games in Mame, but they were borderline unplayable on PS1. I'm planning on picking up ESPgaluda and Mushihimesama, how does DDPD compare to those?

Oh, and I've got Namco X Capcom and A.C.E on order as well.

I love my wife. Honestly, I do.

The End

Also, the reason I'm asking you guys instead of, say, the click-stick boards is because for the most part, you're sane, and won't give me answers like "That's a steal compared to Radiant Silvergun/DoDonPachi PS1".

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I enjoyed and played Espgaluda more because I didn't feel like trying to memorize the hidden bee spots in Daiojo; unfortunately, without those icons, it's four billion times harder to build up hyper-shots and at least have a fighting chance at highscores/survival.

Everything about Daiojo's port is fine, and it plays well, but I couldn't discipline myself into finding the nuances about it... yet...

The End

dog$ said:
I enjoyed and played Espgaluda more because I didn't feel like trying to memorize the hidden bee spots in Daiojo; unfortunately, without those icons, it's four billion times harder to build up hyper-shots and at least have a fighting chance at highscores/survival.

Everything about Daiojo's port is fine, and it plays well, but I couldn't discipline myself into finding the nuances about it... yet...

Yeah, I'm thinking i'll pick up ESPgaluda first, because then I'm only out $50-60 if the slide kills my ps2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
ESPgaluda and Mushihimesama, how does DDPD compare to those?
Mushihimesama is out????

I think that DDPD and ESPgaluda are the best two vertical scrolling shooters for this gen of consoles, and who am I kidding, best two vert scrolling shooters ever made. Both are just brilliant, but I prefer the bullet pattern elegance of ESPgaluda a bit more.

Both ports are perfect btw. don't worry about it. Is DDPD worth $80? Good question, and it can only depend on how much time you want to spend playing it. If you can see yourself playing this game more than any two other games you'd normally buy for that money, then go for it.

The End

Mushihimesama isn't out until July. I'm just using it as a frame of reference because the arcade version is out.

Vark

I actually *just* ordered a Japanese PS2 (ceramic white hotness) and DoDonPachi yesterday (as well as IQ remix and Otostaz). ESPgaluda is definitely on the list but i'm going to have to wait a month or so to pick it up.

Any other major games people would recommend? I tend to go for shumps, puzzle games and quirky adventure types.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's totally worth $80. it remains my favorite shmup this gen, though dragon blaze and border down are close. and, uh...you can bump it down to $75 if you find a coupon! i don't have one at the moment.

The End

So...any major difference between Swapmagic 3.3 and 3.6? They're the same price now.

edit: and on DDPD, yeah, if i get something like Mushihimsama or ESPGaluda first, i can apply the $5 coupon to it.

Miroku

check out the forums over at SHMUPS

Theres a pretty recent thread there about Dai Ou Jou.

I'm on the fence right now about getting it. I am thinking ESPGaluda looks more fun after watching a few videos.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Yeah, it's definitely a good game, but what's the use of a good game if you can't enjoy it?

Dai-ou-jou is a lot harder than ESPgaluda. If you want your shooter to be challenging (I mean really challenging) and you like Cave's screen-filling bullet hells, then you'll love DDP: Dai-ou-jou. Just don't be surprised to have your ass handed to you on a platter fast and often. :lol

The End

And....my slide card/swapmagic combo is on its way. I'm going to get ESPGaluda first, then use the coupon for Mushihimesama. I'm going to hold off on Namco X Capcom until I've cleared out my massive backlog of RPGs.

Must've been hardware, because they are near perfect ports, and much better than MAME.

$80 for DOJ seems a bit much, since copies go for less on eBay/Shmups all the time. I think. Maybe it's increased in value recently and I've missed it. But if you're just itching to get it right away I guess it's not too bad a price, as I paid around $70 after shipping for it at release. If you love shooters you need to own it. And Espgaluda, which I'd say is the better game. So get both right away! And then join the score competition!

Vark

the 80 dollar version (maybe this was in the regular I dunno) has some DVD with it. Not sure whats on it.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
No, it's not a special version. All the PS2 copies of it come with the Special Play DVD. It's just Play Asia jacking up the price; I got it from them back when it was 64.90.

aku:jiki

Rummy Bunnz said:
Must've been hardware, because they are near perfect ports, and much better than MAME.
Unless he's playing them in yoko, in which case I'd agree they're near unplayable.

I'd chime in with another vote for starting out with Espgaluda, though. It's the more accessible game of the two. The DP series follows a pretty straight path -- more, bigger and, of course, harder. And DOJ is fucking hard. I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan of the genre and even I feel bullied by it, which is why I just never could get into it myself. Also, as Marconelly touched on, Espgaluda sticks more the to the now "traditional" bullet pattern style where DOJ just basically rains shots down at you in total chaos.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I wouldn't say total chaos, but definitely can get chaotic sometimes. ESPgaluda is on the other hand, a pinnacle of traditional bullet patterns. Their formations can look so elegant that it looks like bulltet storms sometimes have life on their own :)

Personally Im a huge fan of the DoDonPachi series and DDJ is deffinetly close to being if not the best of the series

however IMHO I would say for now go ahead and get your PS2 chipped instead of using the slidecard thing then you wont have to worry about breaking your PS2

also if your ok with used have you checked out www.videogamedepot.com I know once in a blue moon they get in DDP DDJ in used (I've gotten used stuff from them and it's always been in perfect condition)

I really need to start saving up and get Mushihimesama when it comes out

god I love having a modded ps2 *L*

The End

Shin Johnpv said:
Personally Im a huge fan of the DoDonPachi series and DDJ is deffinetly close to being if not the best of the series

however IMHO I would say for now go ahead and get your PS2 chipped instead of using the slidecard thing then you wont have to worry about breaking your PS2

also if your ok with used have you checked out www.videogamedepot.com I know once in a blue moon they get in DDP DDJ in used (I've gotten used stuff from them and it's always been in perfect condition)

I really need to start saving up and get Mushihimesama when it comes out

god I love having a modded ps2 *L*

eh, if my PS2 breaks, i'll just get a slim model, which can use the flip-top tool.

The End said:
eh, if my PS2 breaks, i'll just get a slim model, which can use the flip-top tool.

I still say get your PS2 chipped hell Im sure you can buy the new slim model pre-chipped

you dont have to worry about using a bootdisc and all that stuff just put the game in and play

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Btw, if you want to play these import shooters, better solution (than slidecard) is just to get HDLoader. No modding, no hassle, everything works perfectly.

MrDaravon

I think the slidecard thing killing your PS2 is a myth, I know people who have been using it for years pretty much all the time and nothing's happened. As far as 3.3 and 3.6 go, the game compatability is the same, but 3.6 adds some kind of USB support (I forget what exactly), but it also added some bugs. I went ahead and got 3.3 since it's running about 15 dollars cheaper now, and it works fine with Namco x Capcom, so I'd reccommend the 3.3 route personally.

The End

Marconelly said:
Btw, if you want to play these import shooters, better solution (than slidecard) is just to get HDLoader. No modding, no hassle, everything works perfectly.

I do have a harddrive, but from what i gathered, HDLoader only works on patched ISOs of imports, which defeats the whole purpose of "play original imports".

Also, if anyone has a good place to get a fliptop, let me know.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I do have a harddrive, but from what i gathered, HDLoader only works on patched ISOs of imports, which defeats the whole purpose of "play original imports".
You don't need to patch anything. Just plug the HDD onto your PC and copy your original import disk on it using the WinHIIP or other such software. Once you do that, you don't need to use the game disc anyways, so it's a one time operation.

The End

Marconelly said:
You don't need to patch anything. Just plug the HDD onto your PC and copy your original import disk on it using the WinHIIP or other such software. Once you do that, you don't need to use the game disc anyways, so it's a one time operation.

hmm..very interesting.

of course, some games are incompatible with the HD, which would make the whole operation pointless :)

There's also memory card applications you can make to FTP in to the ps2 for transfering isos and gamesaves, which I found more useful than just vanilla hd-loader.

Izzy

Banned
Like all the other Cave shooters, Don Pachi series is becoming too easy for me, but it is swarming bullet-filled fun.

On an interesting note, it seems like old SNES classic Ikari no Yousai and DDP share the same art director - take a look at the art assets and the end level/main bosses. It's unmistakable.

The End

I'll probably wind up getting a fliptop. I already have a swapdisk, so it's less than $20. Has anyone ever ordered from customps2.com (otherwise known as clearxbox.com)?

The End

franke8568 said:
I have the new slim ps2, are there any external/non-mod related ways to play imports on it yet?

sure, there's a boot-disk/sensor block combo. it works somewhat like the gameshark for ps1 did.

Bebpo

Banned
I picked up DDP PS2 recently and coming from a background of slower paced non-bullet hell shooters like R-type/Gradius/Darius/Raiden at first it was pretty insane and scared the heck out of me. But then I kept playing and watched the replay runs and now I love this game possibly more than any other shmup I've ever played.

So I'm gonna hit up Akihabara in a month and I want a list of all the kickass shmups for PS2 or I guess GC/Xbox/DC. No recommending anything that's super rare and would cost me more than $50 (got DDP for $40 which feels like a great price for it).

I'm definitely getting Espgaluda, Mushihime-sama, and Mars Matrix. What else should I look out for? Note, I'm kind of a graphics-whore when it comes shmups and want games that look this gen like DDP. I don't want to pay $50+ for something that looks like I could play in MAME.

Thanks,

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bebpo said:
I picked up DDP PS2 recently and coming from a background of slower paced non-bullet hell shooters like R-type/Gradius/Darius/Raiden at first it was pretty insane and scared the heck out of me. But then I kept playing and watched the replay runs and now I love this game possibly more than any other shmup I've ever played.

So I'm gonna hit up Akihabara in a month and I want a list of all the kickass shmups for PS2 or I guess GC/Xbox/DC. No recommending anything that's super rare and would cost me more than $50 (got DDP for $40 which feels like a great price for it).

I'm definitely getting Espgaluda, Mushihime-sama, and Mars Matrix. What else should I look out for? Note, I'm kind of a graphics-whore when it comes shmups and want games that look this gen like DDP. I don't want to pay $50+ for something that looks like I could play in MAME.

Thanks,

If you want some real nice looking graphics, listen to The Man drohne and get Dragon Blaze. Some of the most gorgeous, surreal/fantasy-style backgrounds I've ever seen. Just wait till you see the underwater level, it's probably the best looking level I've ever seen in a shooter. Although the rendered monsters look fairly anachronistic and the music is pretty weak. Starts out fairly easy, especially if you've been getting used to the Cave games that get insane by the 3rd or so board, but it picks up later in the game.

aku:jiki

djtiesto said:
Dragon Blaze
Not only does it look great, it also plays pretty well and is one of the least fucking annoying Psikyo games. Definitely worth checking out.

Border Down and Zero Gunner 2 for DC are also good choices. Espgaluda is the greatest game ever created, though. (Aside from the fact that the slowdown craps out towards the end of the game.)

Bebpo

Banned
Since Dragon-Blaze in in a 2-pack...how's Sol Divide?

Also are the other 2-packs worth it? What about Gigawing Generations?

Bebpo said:
Since Dragon-Blaze in in a 2-pack...how's Sol Divide?

Also are the other 2-packs worth it?
Sol Divide SUCKS. It's terrible. Luckily Dragon Blaze alone makes the price worth it. The Sengoku Ace/Blade pack is worthwhile if you don't already have the (superior) Saturn version of Blade. Sengoku Blade bears the brunt of a lot of Psikyo-elitism, but it's my favorite game of theirs. XP

The Strikers pack is totally redundant compared to the PSX versions, as it's full of video problems and has no memory card support.

Bebpo

Banned
jiji said:
Sol Divide SUCKS. It's terrible. Luckily Dragon Blaze alone makes the price worth it. The Sengoku Ace/Blade pack is worthwhile if you don't already have the (superior) Saturn version of Blade. Sengoku Blade bears the brunt of a lot of Psikyo-elitism, but it's my favorite game of theirs. XP

The Strikers pack is totally redundant compared to the PSX versions, as it's full of video problems and has no memory card support.

What's wrong with Sengoku Blade on PS2? If the saturn one is a lot better I'd rather get that one; but not having to dig out and plug in my Saturn is a nice advantage of having it on PS2.

Bebpo said:
What's wrong with Sengoku Blade on PS2? If the saturn one is a lot better I'd rather get that one; but not having to dig out and plug in my Saturn is a nice advantage of having it on PS2.
It's a direct port of the arcade game, while the Saturn version has added and redone voice and better-quality music and stuff, plus a bonus disc full of fanart they collected during a fanart competition they held. Of course, the Saturn version has slightly downgraded audio sample quality and maybe one or two animation cuts here or there...but it's not something readily noticeable. Minor differences, ones probably not worth worrying about if convenience is top priority.

Bebpo

Banned
I went to another town and they had an arcade which had Espgaluda...WOW. Here I thought the animation in Dodonpachi was awesome but Espgaluda was silky smooth gorgeous sprite action. I skipped the tutorial so ummm, the game was kinda confusing ^^; I figured it would just be shot+bomb but I couldn't find any bomb button. I made it through the first level by just dodging and shooting and then a few times at the boss when I was about to die I just hit all the buttons and somehow I survived. Still it was really good. The bullet patterns seemed to make a lot more sense vs. Dodonpachi. As in you could look at the pattern and figure out how to move around through it, whereas a lot of bullet sprays in Dodonpachi feel almost random and you just have to have good eyesight and reaction time. Finally the hitbox in Espgaluda must be the tiniest hitbox ever in a shooter. There were a bunch of times where I figured I was dead but bullets would graze over me, I guess that's a good thing :p

So yea, wow that was awesome. I'm fighting off the urge to run and buy it currently cause I'd rather get it for cheap in a week in Tokyo. But after Dodonpachi and Espgaluda I love Cave!

The End

Ok, A brief guide to Galuda. You have your normal shot button, you have your "reflect" button, which is the gauge at the bottom of the screen. When you hold reflect, your shield absorbs all of the bullets that hit it, while draining your gauge. When you release it, you'll use a counter attack that's as close to a bomb as you get. The third (second?) button is "kakusei". As you collect green gems, the counter at the top of the screen will increase. When you hit the Kakusei button, everything except your ship will slow down, making it far easier to dodge bullets. If you destroy the source of the bullets on screen while in Kakusei, they'll turn into gold, which nets you awesome bonus points. If you let the Kakusei counter run out though, the bullets will turn red and move twice as fast, which is bad.

But yeah, Galuda is awesome, and Mushihimesama comes out next week!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I finally got Galuda, now to only get the slide card in the mail... I've been dying to play this game for a while now (ever since seeing some videos o fit), so I can't wait :D

Top Bottom