• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do guys really shower naked in American schools/colleges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megateto

People wouldn't user the showers while in HS, in college it was usual. But I don't care about penises or vaginas, I go to naturist beaches so it's all fine.

I'm Spanish.

when I first started school as a little kid up to the age of 16 we did have these kind of showers where everyone showered without curtains or something that seperated us, we also had one door between us and the girls and everytime we took a shower we tried to open up that damn door, managed to do it 2 times :)

It was sooo awesome to check the girls out :lol

I honestly don't necessarily care about showering nude with other dudes when it comes to circumstances like in college after sports.

My philosophy is that it's just a penis and two balls. You've seen your own.
Just don't mind someone elses and mind your own business.

I just care if some fucker is peeing in the same shower area. It's disgusting - don't fucking do it.

Dresden

A few times after swimming.

There was one guy who wasn't circumcised, and we mocked him relentlessly. I have no idea why.

Kurtofan

Seems weird to shower after sports class I mean really you can't wait till you're home?
I understand for sportsmen but after gym class it doesn't make sense.

megateto

BamYouHaveAids said:
Seems like nations with a large percentage of circumcised citizens are more comfortable being nude publicly? What an odd correlation...

How many naturist beaches are in the States? I think that Europe has way more naturism practitioners than the States, and circumcision is not as common over here as in the States..

Jasup

In first and second grade when I went swimming with my class, we went to women's showers and sauna because our teacher was a woman. It was also a public swimming hall. We were separated when we got older.

But it's not like I hadn't seen any naked people before, or been naked myself. Even now, having a sauna (separate or mixed) is quite common in social gatherings, conferences and while meeting friends.

numble

Jasper said:
Where I am from, no guy would EVER shower naked in the school or college showers? I can't ever imagine doing that at my school.

But every time I watch an American movie or show depicting a high school or college change room/locker room/showers, it’s presented as if the guys are all showering together naked or changing in front of each other?

Isn’t this incredibly awkward like in high school or college, where you hate (or are hated) by a lot of people in class, and you are seeing them/they are seeing you butt naked?

Is this really normal in America?
Jasper said:
Yeah, like one massive communal shower where after gym class in school, all the guys are like centimeters away from each other, showering naked.

I can’t imagine doing that with people in my class I dislike or who dislikes me.

Edit: From Australia
Why do you hate so many people and why do so many people hate you?

soco

numble said:
Why do you hate so many people and why do so many people hate you?

isn't the better question what does hating someone have to do with seeing them naked?

does he get picked on? do they joke about his dick size? do they call him a fag?

Neo C.

uh, in Switzerland, we shower naked in schools/colleges/sport clubs etc. It's not an American thing.

I wouldn't mind co-ed shower either. :lol

Neo C. said:
uh, in Switzerland, we shower naked in schools/colleges/sport clubs etc. It's not an American thing.

I wouldn't mind co-ed shower either. :lol
Yeah... that wouldn't work with me.

I have a hard enough time not masturbating at the mall when I see short skirts.

Natetan

I never used the shower in high school. I was also very tactful about dressing undressing into my running/skiing clothes, so I was never really naked.

In college my first year dorm had gang showers, but with curtains between each shower head. Usually wore a towel and t shirt with sandles to the shower.

Now though I've gotten so used to the skinship thing or whatever from onsen in Japan, I'm a little too comfortable with non sexual nudity...

Salazar

I remember seeing a frankly ancient Greek amount of male nudity in and around the gym showers at school*. There were folks who took care not to be seen, but they were the odd ones out. Not that they were picked on or looked down on or anything, but pretty open nudity was the rule.

*Australia.

Cheerilee

At my old high school, the men's locker room had a little nook in the back corner which led to a two foot wide corridor which ran the length of the locker room, had squeaky old plumbing, tile on the floors/walls ceiling, and was always dark since it had a separate light switch. It was rumored that a few guys on the football team liked using it, and the vast majority thought it was a better idea to walk/drive home sweaty and shower at home. The women's locker room had no shower, apparently because at the time the school was built, wimmin didn't play sports, or at least not enough to work up a sweat. Some of the guys joked that they wanted to trade locker rooms with the girls, just so they'd know that sometime, somehow, there was a chance that cute girls were taking showers somewhere in the same building that they were in.

Some people said that the floor and walls in there were like ice all year round, and whenever you turned on a faucet for the first time, you would be hit with an unavoidable rain of ice water for at least a minute until it warmed up, so you mostly didn't have to worry about dicks when you took a shower in there, because they would all shrink away into nothing. And being only two feet wide with just one entrance/exit meant that you basically had to rub up naked against other naked dudes when you wanted to get out. So of course, the idea of giving the shower space to the girls seemed like a wonderful dream.

Fritz said:
Did you stab them?

I whittled a weapon out of my soap and used it to defend my secret shame.

Thunder Monkey said:
With your penis?

It all happened too fast. Before I knew it, I was left dissatisfied and frowning while the two drunken miscreants left reveling in their success of my humiliation.

2San

We had blocked off showers in middle school(the first one), but in the 2nd one no one bothered showering. So as the sheep as I am I didn't bother either. At my gym people do shower together, but I just drive home and shower there. Wouldn't really have a problem with it, but with the option of just showering home, why bother?

Rad-

Funny reading this as a finn. I have showered and sauna'd nude with (almost) strangers since I was like 5. It's part of the tradition here.

peakish

What what? People didn't shower after PE because of a shared shower room?

Every public institution I've been to, schools, bath houses, sports centres have had shared shower rooms without curtains, except if it's shared between sexes. In middle and high school the most fun was had after PE when we whipped each other with rolled towels and then being ten minutes late to the next class :lol This was all guys in the class as well!

Salazar

Kurtofan said:
Seems weird to shower after sports class I mean really you can't wait till you're home?
I understand for sportsmen but after gym class it doesn't make sense.

You must have had some weak-ass, slack as hell sports classes.

Dead

well not really...yet
Nobody ever showered after Gym back in High School, there wasn't even an opportunity to, we just changed back into whatever we were wearing when the period was over :\

Coen

I've been showering with males for as long as I remember. After gym class in every school I've attended, plus after soccer/football practice and games when I was younger and after basketball practice and games until this day. I don't see what the problem is. Dutch btw.

Salazar

Kurtofan said:
Rugby,wrestling,basketball,handball and endurance are weakass now?

I should probably allow for a difference in climate.

No, they are not weak-ass, but my sport class were a pack of sweaty sons of bitches. The stench would have been concussive if we'd not showered.

blueICE

Banned
wmat said:
Just don't look at other dongs! It's commonly thought of as being the right way to handle public showering. When nobody looks at other dongs, it's all good. It's just like it is with urinals.
I'm sorry but in the showers everybody sneaks a look.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
We had open showers at my school here in England. The only awkward year was when everyone was about 13 and self-conscious. Just man up, get naked, get clean and GTFO.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm actually surprised by this thread. In Sweden it's completely normal to shower together, fully nude, at schools and other places. There's nothing weird about it. Didn't know this was such an issue for a lot of people.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm glad they never made us shower during middle school and high school because there was enough horseplay as it was in the locker rooms. my fav gag was getting an empty roll on deodorant and placing it where a friend was going to sit and then letting him have a nice surprise as he sat down on the bench.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oh god, painful childhood memories surfacing..

we had communal showers both at school (even though it was a newly built one) and at the games field (where we'd be bussed to for field sports like rugby/football). That was evil as it had a stone floor which was very slippery.

I was a fat bastard at school too so it was just horrible. plus the teachers used to force you to shower, even if it was the last lesson of the day, so you couldn't avoid it.

Seriously, communal forced nakedness at such a critical phase of your childhood (i.e puberty) is practically child abuse.

Worse is that the bloody girls had separate fancy cubicles (er, apparantly)

JimiNutz

Banned
In Secondary/High School we used to shower naked after P.E. class all the time.
We mostly used to play Rugby so we would all be covered in mud and a shower was a complete necessity.
Of course you would always get the odd fat/strange kid that didn't shower with the rest of us - which in turn made us view them as even stranger/weirder.

True story, I went to school with Nicky Blair (Tony Balir's son) and we used to play Rugby for the school together. After a practice one Saturday morning I was taking a nice soak, came out the shower pretty much naked (towel slung over my shoulder) and Cherry Blair was standing there in the changing room handing Nicky a sandwich.
Pretty sure she saw Big Jimmy (although as a 12 year old it probably wasn't as big as I remember).

S. L.

NutJobJim said:
True story, I went to school with Nicky Blair (Tony Balir's son) and we used to play Rugby for the school together. After a practice one Saturday morning I was taking a nice soak, came out the shower pretty much naked (towel slung over my shoulder) and Cherry Blair was standing there in the changing room handing Nicky a sandwich.
Pretty sure she saw Big Jimmy (although as a 12 year old it probably wasn't as big as I remember).
what an honor

Uncle

NutJobJim said:

Did you salute her?

Don_Hakka

RoadHazard said:
I'm actually surprised by this thread. In Sweden it's completely normal to shower together, fully nude, at schools and other places. There's nothing weird about it. Didn't know this was such an issue for a lot of people.

Yeah it would actually seem weirder that each have his/her own fancy cubicle.

Face it. None care about what your dick looks like so why hide it?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Of course you shower naked in a school shower or gym shower. It's only same sex anyway. That's how it works in Finland and UK at least. Although we had one guy in our class who had a notoriously small cock, he would shower home.

If showering in school naked with same sex is a shocker, you will be thrilled to know that in Finland it's normal for friends to go to sauna together naked, regardless of sex. Yep, you get to see the boobs and va-jay-jays of your friends. How awesome is that?

CiSTM

Banned
Chittagong said:
Of course you shower naked in a school shower or gym shower. It's only same sex anyway. That's how it works in Finland and UK at least. Although we had one guy in our class who had a notoriously small cock, he would shower home.

If showering in school naked with same sex is a shocker, you will be thrilled to know that in Finland it's normal for friends to go to sauna together naked, regardless of sex. Yep, you get to see the boobs and va-jay-jays of your friends. How awesome is that?

And not only your friends. I have seen all my co-workers naked in my current firm, sauna nights ftw.

Fritz

NutJobJim said:
In Secondary/High School we used to shower naked after P.E. class all the time.
We mostly used to play Rugby so we would all be covered in mud and a shower was a complete necessity.
Of course you would always get the odd fat/strange kid that didn't shower with the rest of us - which in turn made us view them as even stranger/weirder.

Which brings us back to the OP's actual problem.

peakish

RoadHazard said:
A common occurence in our youth novels is group penis comparisons in these rooms as well.

Never had to deal with that myself.

In middle/high school we had separate showers divided by a curtain so it was no big deal. In college I had a suite (shared a bathroom with three other guys) so the shower was private.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom