• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do LoZ games get inflated review scores just because it has Zelda in the title?

Do zelda games get inflated review scores?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tmlDan

make a poll cause i can 100% tell you the answer is yes, nostalgia is a strong drug amongst games media

Banjo64

cumsessed
make a poll cause i can 100% tell you the answer is yes, nostalgia is a strong drug amongst games media
Same can be said for nearly any franchise then, Drake’s Deception launched in 2007 so there will be 30 year olds writing reviews for Uncharted now who were 15 when the series started.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The nostalgia factor plus it being a Nintendo game definitely give Zelda an edge in reviews.

I don’t believe BotW would be hailed as the greatest thing ever, inventor of open world everything if it was just an indie game.

SaintALia

Thought it was the opposite honestly. Zelda is such a storied and highly regarded franchise, that I imagine a lot of reviewers enter with expectations of how great a new Zelda should be in what it offers, and what they want it to be.

I think that's what tripped up Windwaker, that tech demo they showed at the GC debut didn't help as well.

Eh, but it's like people are going to like what they're gonna like at the end of the day, a review is just a critical opinion of something, and people will have their biases in what they like or not. So people will always be like 'X' or 'Y' is 'overrated' or 'underrated' or whatever.

tmlDan

Same can be said for nearly any franchise then, Drake’s Deception launched in 2007 so there will be 30 year olds writing reviews for Uncharted now who were 15 when the series started.
damn that's scary to think about, guess we'll see how UC5 turns out lol

hemo memo

Gold Member
yes, breath of the wild is wildly over rated just because it was an open world zelda game.
Yeah it has major flaws that i’m sure even the studio who worked on it got surprised by the scores. I mean the lack actual dungeons and weapons breaking.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
To a certain extent, but I would also say more often than not, it has inflated quality too. There have been some atrocious examples in the past though

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I’d be shocked if you played Ocarina of Time when it released in 1998 and didn’t think it was an exceptional, ground-breaking game.
I did, but I don't think recognizing what is good about these games means ignoring what wasn't, and OoT was not as tightly paced or designed as Link to the Past and it was still figuring out how to make a lot of these things work in 3D. It was innovative and ambitious and it influenced a lot of what came after it, but that doesn't mean it was or is the peak of gaming.

And Breath of the Wild was largely addition by subtraction, it took away a lot of the hand holding and structure and created something very open that was satisfying to explore but it was deeply mechanically flawed with some decisions that were just insane and pointless and it could be really frustrating. 8/10 is generous.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Place your bets, that Miyamoto or Aonuma will say "It's the best zelda ever made" for as they always say for every game these last 30 years.

So they also said of the horrendous Skyward sword.

Gallard

Bias exists everywhere and Zelda is not the sole recipient of it. Sometimes a game is reviewed well due to the zeitgeist of the time. Remember Gone Home?

For my tastes, I liked BotW a TON and was able to log 120 hours. With Elden Ring, I tapped out after 70.

ckaneo

I did, but I don't think recognizing what is good about these games means ignoring what wasn't, and OoT was not as tightly paced or designed as Link to the Past and it was still figuring out how to make a lot of these things work in 3D. It was innovative and ambitious and it influenced a lot of what came after it, but that doesn't mean it was or is the peak of gaming.

And Breath of the Wild was largely addition by subtraction, it took away a lot of the hand holding and structure and created something very open that was satisfying to explore but it was deeply mechanically flawed with some decisions that were just insane and pointless and it could be really frustrating. 8/10 is generous.
How was OOT not as tightly paced as Link to the Past?

Link to the Past deserves alot of credit for its structure, but its puzzle design is severely lacking compared to OOT which has legendary dungeons all over it.

Link to the Past still carries too much from the original Zelda 1 and 2 in its "combat" focus and its obtuse design.

OOT only flaw is that it ran on trash hardware

Azurro

Banned
I’d be shocked if you played Ocarina of Time when it released in 1998 and didn’t think it was an exceptional, ground-breaking game.

I played it the year it released. It was fine, a good game, but I never understood the hype. Granted poduction values were good, but even then graphics were nothing special, story wasn't good either, Z targetting was nice, but combat was really basic.

I good game, a solid 8/10 but that year MGS was easily a better game.

SF Kosmo

out of curiosity, name a game that you would consider among the "greatest of all time"
We'd have to have a conversation about what that means, but in general I think games like System Shock 2, Doom, Another World, GTA4/5, Tetris (esp. Tetris Effect), Portal 2, etc. These are master classes in game design.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Placebo effect says yes. It can still be solid and basically a Breath of the Wild sequel and still be good.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Don't know about inflated but Nintendo products in general are judged far less harshly than the competition because there are so many die hard Nintendo fan boys in the gaming media.

Banned
We'd have to have a conversation about what that means, but in general I think games like System Shock 2, Doom, Another World, GTA4/5, Tetris (esp. Tetris Effect), Portal 2, etc. These are master classes in game design.

GTA5? a game with ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUSLY bad controls, super linear and handholdy mission design, aiming on console that was so bad that they had to include an option to hard lock-on to enemies and an open world that's basically only decoration without much to do in it other than running around doing nonsense or going from mission to mission...

the fact that you'd say that a game like that deserves to be recognised as one of the greatest games of all time over Breath of the Wild, now that's an opinion that is WILD.

then Another World. janky controls, bad gamedesign throughout that necessitates you knowing what to do before playing the game in order to not just get instakilled by random shit.

and you say you don't take reviews seriously because BotW gets its high scores? like, wow...

I personally loved GTA5 and Another World btw. but these games are deeply flawed in so many ways.

Nintendo IPs, Rockstar releases, Naughty Dog joints...these are all sacred cows in the industry

For Nintendo it’s really just Mario and Zelda , and for Sony its just God of War and Naughty Dog. You can add Fromsoft to the list now. I will be really surprised if Armored Core doesn’t score a 90 now despite the series averaging like a 74 before this

ungalo

Yes they absolutely do and redpill, that's true for every big franchise. Mario, Halo, God of War, whatever.

Doesn't mean that Zelda games are not great games. Obviously some are among the greatest games ever.

Last edited:
Yep.
Same as Mario games. Or many other franchises.
Still waiting for a good Zelda since Wind Waker. And yes I've played and beaten Breath of the wild.

Akuza89

i think most "big" games get a inflated scores, even just slightly, even by just the name alone.

However, it really depends on how much you take reviews into consideration..?
i'd much rather listen to my friends or someone i know over someone who could be bought these days.

Majukun

Would not say so, even the most controversial entries are still good games and are rated as such.
People fixated on botw and its scores because they believe that if you can point out an issue, even subjective, then it doesn't deserve a 10,and it's the kind of reasoning that gave us modern aaa, games made not to be exceptional or unique, but the most inoffensive possible

Hugare

This is what happened when ONE reviewer gave a less than glowing review to a Zelda game and it still got a 8.8...

Yeah, reviews like those doesnt happen anymore

I'm 100% sure that reviewers talk about the game during the review process and influence each other analysis to reach a consensus.

You dont see divise games from Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, FROM Sofrware and etc.

And every game that tries to deviate AN INCH from the norm (High on Life, Callisto Protocol) gets divise scores, 'cause they dont know what they should do with them.

Even most indies nowadays are all made from the same formula: roguelike, metroidvania or slow, emotional storytelling. Even them are too scaried to deviate from the stablished formula.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

GTA5? a game with ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUSLY bad controls, super linear and handholdy mission design, aiming on console that was so bad that they had to include an option to hard lock-on to enemies and an open world that's basically only decoration without much to do in it other than running around doing nonsense or going from mission to mission...

the fact that you'd say that a game like that deserves to be recognised as one of the greatest games of all time over Breath of the Wild, now that's an opinion that is WILD.

then Another World. janky controls, bad gamedesign throughout that necessitates you knowing what to do before playing the game in order to not just get instakilled by random shit.

and you say you don't take reviews seriously because BotW gets its high scores? like, wow...

I personally loved GTA5 and Another World btw. but these games are deeply flawed in so many ways.
Trial and error design is not a flaw of Another World, it's literally the job exploration and experimentation that makes that game work. Flawless.

GTA5 is an imperfect game, but a ridiculously fun one. BotW can be a real slog sometimes. So much samey bullshit and godawful design decisions. 8/10 is generous for BotW. It does some things very well but it's so under baked.

Yeah, reviews like those doesnt happen anymore

I'm 100% sure that reviewers talk about the game during the review process and influence each other analysis to reach a consensus.

You dont see divise games from Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, FROM Sofrware and etc.

And every game that tries to deviate AN INCH from the norm (High on Life, Callisto Protocol) gets divise scores, 'cause they dont know what they should do with them.

Even most indies nowadays are all made from the same formula: roguelike, metroidvania or slow, emotional storytelling. Even them are too scaried to deviate from the stablished formula.

This is why i feel like its funny when people praise indies for being so “daring” and “innovative” when the vast majority of highly praised indie games are pretty much set in established genres just like AAA.

Think of all the big ones this year they are point and click adventure, boomer shooters, rogue likes, etc. The biggest two coming out is Hades 2 (rogue-like dungeon crawler) and Silksong (metroidvania)

Last edited:

Wildebeest

The higher profile a game is, the more likely it will be given to someone who is fanatical about that genre to review.

The higher profile a game is, the more likely it will be given to someone who is fanatical about that genre to review.

This happens a lot with smaller games as well. The people who run to review a smaller more niche game is probably someone more super into that type of game to begin with, which is why so many smaller weird indie games get such high review scores. If you look on Opencritic you’ll see like a huge gulf of AAA titles from god of war until like xenoblade or horizon which is just indie games with 5-10, 90+ reviews.

I bet if High on Life wasn’t tied to gamepass it would have reviewed a lot higher as well. A lot of outlets only reviewed it because it was part of gamepass and had a marketing deal, but if it were left up to only Rick and Morty fans it would have the type of reviews its getting on steam

Last edited:

Astral Dog

The problem is there are very few games like Zelda and i guess critics don't know how to compare them since Zelda is the standard.

Legend of Zelda is an action adventure puzzle game(unlike other games who lack puzzles ) , its always very polished, has plenty of content, good graphics, innovative mechanics, high quality music and animations etc.

Yeah even games like Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword are well crafted, (even if they were my least liked), at worst they would have been high 80s for their respective systems.

So yep its very possibles the scores are slightly inflated, but not by much.

On the other hand i think games like Sonic FRONTIERS were treated unfairly, critics may not have any idea how to rate a 3D Sonic game 🤷🏻‍♂️ its very solid for what it is and most fans are happy

Wildebeest

This happens a lot with smaller games as well. The people who run to review a smaller more niche game is probably someone more super into that type of game to begin with, which is why so many smaller weird indie games get such high review scores. If you look on Opencritic you’ll see like a huge gulf of AAA titles from god of war until like xenoblade or horizon which is just indie games with 5-10, 90+ reviews.
There are also a lot of indie games with no reviews or games with tons of "laurels" from various indie awards that get bad reviews. For an indie game to get reviews at all, it either must be something that manages to get a lot of hype or someone actually likes it enough to review it.

Last edited:
I am thinking mostly from the Gamecube and Wii generation. Yes, Wind Waker was an achievement in graphics and deserves its high scores, but Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword did bring nothing special to the table imo. They are not 90-95+ games. It felt more like, here is a brand new zelda, it will score 10/10 automatically. yes some Zelda games are really awesome while it seems that others just surf on the brandname.

Do Review publications have a tendency to overscore Zelda games? What's your thoughts.

I think so. After MM I think Zelda games became flabby and unfocussed. BOTW snapped things back but those (relative) middle years were poor. You wouldn't think so from the scores, though.

It is understandable though. The Zelda 3 - MM run was like being showered with mana from another planet.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Wish we would've gotten a separate powered up non handheld version to play this game on

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes 100%

Naughty Dog, Rockstar, Nintendo have a special bonus.

Good thing those games are reviewed under pressure of hurting relationships/ties with the publishers and have to approach its exposition to it's audience in a inherently fake ass way.

Just look at a random playing the game for half a hour.

Markio128

I really wish that A Link To The Past had been remade for the Switch, rather than Link’s Awakening. But as a whole, I love the Zelda games. TLOZ: OOT and Link to the Past will always be my favourite Zelda games, with BOTW and Wind Waker being close runners-up.

Like Mario games, they really can’t be improved upon in their respective fields.

gothmog

Gold Member
I played it at launch. I wanted more LttP so I was a little disappointed. It still felt ground breaking and exceptional.

Gaiff

DUDE... Have you seen the review scores for Halo Infinite?
Yeah, mid-high 80s which is very good but not amazing. For having played the game myself, I can say that mechanically, it's one of the better shooters on the market. There's just no content which was forgivable on release but not anymore.

We're far from the days of 92+ scores of the original trilogy and it being a GOTY contender that outsells almost everything that comes alongside it.

Yeah, mid-high 80s which is very good but not amazing. For having played the game myself, I can say that mechanically, it's one of the better shooters on the market. There's just no content which was forgivable on release but not anymore.

We're far from the days of 92+ scores of the original trilogy and it being a GOTY contender that outsells almost everything that comes alongside it.

Considering the game was delayed an entire year, the lack of content at launch wasn't forgivable, either. Halo Infinite got most of its scores on the "promise" of what would come in the future but so far, very little of that has manifested.

You'd think reviewers would have updated their scores to reflect the current reality but they haven't. Well aside from Stevivor, who only did it to get review codes from Sony again. Both an odd and hilariously stupid thing for them to do.

Good thing those games are reviewed under pressure of hurting relationships/ties with the publishers and have to approach its exposition to it's audience in a inherently fake ass way.

Just look at a random playing the game for half a hour.

I've seen "randoms" play those games from start to finish and enjoyed them of their own choosing. Dunno what you're on about. Review scores being slightly inflated doesn't mean the praise is false.

I bet if High on Life wasn’t tied to gamepass it would have reviewed a lot higher as well. A lot of outlets only reviewed it because it was part of gamepass and had a marketing deal, but if it were left up to only Rick and Morty fans it would have the type of reviews its getting on steam

I'd argue if it weren't for it being on GamePass Day 1, HOL would have possibly reviewed a tad lower. Or at least very Xbox-centric websites would not have reviewed it, potentially.

But HOL could be a special case since it seems a lot of the reviewers took issue with the humor so, maybe if people more into the humor reviewed it the scores would have indeed been better. Just another reason why MetaCritic needs a reformation of how it handles aggregation. If a game like HOL is mainly targeted at existing fans of a certain brand, maybe most of the reviewers should lean that way so that they can say just how well it succeeds (or fails) at appealing to that priority demographic.

The actual review sites and even the game publishers, though, have to communicate this as well, however.

Last edited:
Yes, same with Mario. But a better example of the point you’re illustrating (since Mario and Zelda are both excellent and deserve the high praise) is Pokemon. Scarlet and Violet were a mess and if it wasn’t called Pokemon it would not have gotten such a pass. It’s ridiculous those games launched in the state they were in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom