• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you also have all kind of problems with the Xbox Series controller (Not Elite)?

Larxia

I just tried my controllers and nearly all of them have noise when you click thumbs ticks back to center. Dual sense included.
What do you mean by "when you click thumbs ticks back to the center"? I don't actually click on them, I just move it back to the center, but the click noise happen, but if you mean pressing the stick like L3 / R3, that's a different thing.

Calverz

What do you mean by "when you click thumbs ticks back to the center"? I don't actually click on them, I just move it back to the center, but the click noise happen, but if you mean pressing the stick like L3 / R3, that's a different thing.
No I mean just moving them. Not pressing LS/L3 lol

lukilladog

That´s what they are designed to do, to be annoying after a certain amount of usage in order to make you buy a new one. It´s basically the same stick potentiometer that debuted on the xbox 360 and now even sony adopted, they have had a decade to make all revisions they want and fix the issue. Sony, MS, and Alps are aware, but have decided it fits their interests just as it is... why fix it when the problem itself boosts or might be even the base of their peripheral business.

Larxia

It´s basically the same stick potentiometer that debuted on the xbox 360
But I never had issues like this with the 360 controller, and people didn't use to talk about stick drift and such back then, it seems fairly recent to me.

Last edited:
I think i've been quite lucky with all controllers. No issues with the PS4/Xbox One controllers, the Series X(I have the black one that c ame with it, and the same one in blue for series x as OP), and I've got 3 Dualsense controllers...no drift on my switch oled sticks either. Hell I still use the same Xbox One controller for like 7 or 8 years now on my PC without issue....I know about some horror stories tho..good friend of mine went through like 3 controllers in a row that had messed up left sticks

lukilladog

But I never had issues like this with the 360 controller, and people didn't use to talk about stick drift and such back then, it seems fairly recent to me.

After my third controller went bad I started to replace the potentiometers myself, the guy that sold me the spares had huge bags of stick potentiometers, triggers, and shoulder buttons. He was renting consoles and said those parts used to go bad all the time.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I've never had much of any issues with any controllers. Being electromechanical devices however, there will always be wear and tear issues. Peoples mileage will vary depending on how aggressive you are.

Last edited:

Nydius

You can hear that when the stick goes back to the center, it make a strange high pitch sound, it's probably the spring making this sound, but I never had this on old controllers.
I have that same sound on my Splatoon themed joy-cons, and they were like that ever since I bought them.

As for the Series controllers, my luck has been a mixed bag. The black one that came with my Series X had a faulty "A" button out-of-the-box. The Shock Blue one I bought at the same time had no problems. My primary Series controller now is the Aqua Shift, which has no issues. I later bought the Space Jam Serververse one on sale from Amazon and that arrived with a bad left bumper and problematic d-pad, so had to exchange it for a different one.

I also own a single third party, but Xbox licensed, controller, the 8BitDo Pro2 wired, for some games where I'm more comfortable with symmetrical sticks. No problems at all with that one, other than the 3.5mm audio jack being a bit fiddly.

Edit: I swear if they ever make an option for a 'quiet mode' controller on Xbox Design Labs, one that makes fewer clicks and clacks, I'd be first in line to buy one.

Last edited:

Larxia

I have that same sound on my Splatoon themed joy-cons, and they were like that ever since I bought them.

As for the Series controllers, my luck has been a mixed bag. The black one that came with my Series X had a faulty "A" button out-of-the-box. The Shock Blue one I bought at the same time had no problems. My primary Series controller now is the Aqua Shift, which has no issues. I later bought the Space Jam Serververse one on sale from Amazon and that arrived with a bad left bumper and problematic d-pad, so had to exchange it for a different one.

I also own a single third party, but Xbox licensed, controller, the 8BitDo Pro2 wired, for some games where I'm more comfortable with symmetrical sticks. No problems at all with that one, other than the 3.5mm audio jack being a bit fiddly.
Mixed bag indeed but that's a lot of negative in it. It shouldn't be like that :(
I heard about 8bitDo recently when someone here on gaf talked about this upcoming controller:
No idea what will be the quality on that.

Three

These controller quality issues are out of control this gen. I have 2 Dualsense which sporadically drift left. It's not even a small drift it just jolts to the left with no joystick movement. All the manufacturers need to sort out their controller quality control.

Larxia

These controller quality issues are out of control this gen. I have 2 Dualsense which sporadically drift left. It's not even a small drift it just jolts to the left with no joystick movement. All the manufacturers need to sort out their controller quality control.
Yes when I had stick drift on my Xbox controller it acted like if the stick was pushed to the max sometimes, even if it was physically in the middle.
I used to think that stick drift was when your stick didn't centered itself perfectly again and went out of the dead zone, but no it's actually different, it's very random and can act like any amount of pressure no matter the position of the stick itself.

Three

Yes when I had stick drift on my Xbox controller it acted like if the stick was pushed to the max sometimes, even if it was physically in the middle.
I used to think that stick drift was when your stick didn't centered itself perfectly again and went out of the dead zone, but no it's actually different, it's very random and can act like any amount of pressure no matter the position of the stick itself.
Me too, thought the exact same. I just treat it like constant sideways recoil in FPS' now. 😄

seems like x360 was the last MS good controller.

still use one for PC.
I have a 360 controller that I've used for so long that you can see an imprint of where my thumb rests. Still works perfectly fine

Last edited:
I never tried the dualsense but are the buttons much quieter compared to the xbox controller? While this isn't part of the "breaking down" issues, I do dislike the amount of noise the buttons makes on this controller, especially the d-pad.
The ps5 d pad is quiet as a mouse comparatively

Naked Lunch

I had stick drift on my Series Controller - about 10 months in.
First Xbox controller to ever do that for me which is disappointing.
I got a replacement and it seems they sent me a brand new one.

BigBooper

No problems with mine. I have three series controllers. The only complaint is switching back and forth from pc to xbox doesn't work with the pc dongle.

I think I am very delicate with mine. Before this I had two xbone controllers with no problems and two 360 controllers with no problems.

Havoc2049

I've actually had more problems with regular Xbox One/Series controllers than I have had with the Elite controllers.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Basically zero problems, the buttons are too loud on all of them, but that's it.

Smether

I've got two and no issues to report. What I don't like is the narrower design the series x controllers have this gen. Nor do I like the illuminated Xbox logo in the middle.

My Joy cons started going south about a year after I got the Switch, so fingers crossed it is the not the same story here.

Hestar69

Yeah Im on my second and about to be third controller. They seem shittier IMO

First controller (came with series s) X button sticking,and right analog stick has some drift

My space jam controller has some drift with the right stick.

I have a red one still still in box will eventually have to use it soon.

don't get it.Im not rough with the controllers & keep them clean and clean them every week.

Robb

Gold Member
I’ve only had some problems with the controller not charging properly. Other than that it has been fine thus far.

reksveks

Only got issues with the elite 2 and one that I took apart to do a badly finished NGE paint job

The white and blue one that I have is perfectly fine.

I had problems with my A button being wonky, and the controller just doesn't feel as well made as the Xbox One controllers. I still just use those instead, and if I wanted to order a new one, I would try to find the older models instead.

ToadMan

My Xsex controller (came with the box about 9 months ago) seems to have some responsiveness issues - mainly in the bumpers. Perhaps they’re failing - I just put it down to console lag but reading this thread maybe it’s just the controller itself.

Yes the buttons are loud and the dpad is crap. In fact the whole controller is just cheap feeling like a budget third party effort, and batteries? … yeah ok.

Dualsense feels a lot better - more like a premium product. But mine has left stick drift too (18 months old ish) - it’s not all the time and seems to depend on the game though. I assume the dead zone in some games filter it out while others don’t. Probably just a noisy potentiometer which occasionally spikes.

My favourite of the manufacturer controllers is the Switch gamepad pro which feels good and has been solid. It works with PC but is a little bit fiddly - although it’s supported by steam so most problems go away.

I’ve used both Dualsense and whatever the Xbox one is called with PC and iOS. Yeah they work fine - Dualsense can rumble if games support it but PC games don’t offer the haptics that PS5 games do and that’s a big loss - you pay extra money for that hardware, but it’s not really used on PC …

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

I love the clicky pad, personally but I grew up playing with micro-switched joysticks back in the 8 and 16-bit home computer days, so it could be a nostalgia thing.

Last edited:

Larxia

I've got two and no issues to report. What I don't like is the narrower design the series x controllers have this gen. Nor do I like the illuminated Xbox logo in the middle.

My Joy cons started going south about a year after I got the Switch, so fingers crossed it is the not the same story here.
I hate the light on the logo too, it's wayyyy too bright in my opinion, to the point that I even put a tape on my controller to dim it. I wish you could turn it off.

The B button doesn't register sometimes and the battery life is extremely poor, except those same batteries will work fine in other controllers. No idea.

Did a search, apparently quite common and there's no obvious fix.

Between me and the kids there's about 10 controllers in my house and other than the FH5 controller that turned up faulty (Dpad wasn't right) I've had no problems.

Spyxos

Okay so this is something I've been wanting to discuss for a while.
We all know Xbox Elite controllers are known for their issues, we can see posts about people saying how unreliable it is and all the various problems they have with it all the time.
My question however is do you have similar problems with the regular Xbox Series controller? Because I do, and it's driving me crazy.

I'm on my third (well actually 4th there's one I sent back immediatly because of a problem straight out of the box) Xbox Series controller and they all had problems.

My first Xbox Series controller got stick drift after only 6 months. I sent it back for "replacement" but the Xbox support was quite terrible, and they actually just send you another used controller (which wasn't even the same color as the one I sent them), and it came with issues too.
This second controller made weird stick noises, like a mouse click noise when the stick goes back to the center, and the d-pad feels mushy on the right side.

I thought I would go with a brand new controller to fix the problems, and this third controller was okay for about one month, then started to do this weird stick noise too, and the sticks started to feel "not smooth", not sure how to explain it, like if there were some bumps on the axis, it doesn't move around smoothly and it feels very bad.

I recorded a little clip about the weird stick noise I'm talking about, here it is :

You can hear that when the stick goes back to the center, it make a strange high pitch sound, it's probably the spring making this sound, but I never had this on old controllers.
I just talked to a friend about it and he told me he has the same thing on both his Xbox Series controller, Elite, and even on the dualsense... So I assume it's something that's present on mostly all controllers.

So now I'm wondering, do you all have similar experiences? What are the options? It seems like all the different controllers available right now have ton of random problems, and I'm really not sure what to get now.
I was thinking about maybe trying the dualsense, but I know it's prone to stick drifts too and now I know that it has this weird stick sound too, so I'm quite disappointed since I really don't know what my next pick will be, and I'm really tired of having to buy new controllers like this. My xbox 360 controller lasted me something like 8 years.

It's really annoying.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this since most of the usual talk is about the Elite controller and not the basic ones.

Edit: I'm playing on PC by the way so that's why I talked about maybe trying the dualsense, I'm open to all controller options working on PC.

I have exactly the same blue controller, but in mine the vibration motors are broken. And my switch joycon has the same analog click noise as your controller.

Larxia

It's a downgrade, honestly.
The Xbox One controller is really better than the Series?
They aren't available on official stores anymore, but some sellers still sell some, but it's usually more expensive than usual. I searched some infos about them but I've read comments about issues on these too so I'm not really sure what to think and if it would really be better.

The Xbox One controller is really better than the Series?
They aren't available on official stores anymore, but some sellers still sell some, but it's usually more expensive than usual. I searched some infos about them but I've read comments about issues on these too so I'm not really sure what to think and if it would really be better.
I prefer it. They're almost identical, but the clicking sounds make the Series controller feel cheap and clunky.

I don’t like how noisy it is. I can hear it through my headphones at times, disappointed they never considered this whilst making it. The d pad material is too hard for my liking too, prefer softer.

The 360 controller is the best standard Xbox version for me, fantastic .

Kssio_Aug

I have been lucky with my Xbox controllers so far. I have an X360 controller since 2010 still working perfectly (which I use to play on PC) and my Series S controllers so far have been working flawlessly too. The only problem with the Series controllers is the noise; indeed they're very "clicky" and it can be annoying sometimes.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
FWIW, Nintendo, MS and Sony all source their sticks from the same vendor for first party controllers. They are delivered by Alps who manufacture them using Shenzhen Jurui Electronics Co., Ltd., Shenzhen Joinwe Electronic Co., Ltd., Shenzhen IPM, etc.

So most issues you are going to see across all three. You can try a third party controller but I doubt you are going to get better results. Unfortunately with supply chain consolidations, and there just not being anyone other than its going to be luck of the draw. There are some hobbyist small batch solutions out there if you want to put in the work yourself, but there is no 100% reliable COTS controller.

Olimbox

Neo Member
I play Xbox in remote play on the quest 2, and I use a ps4 controller because the xbox one is way too noisy to play at night

RaZoR No1

Biggest issue I have with the Series Controllers are, that the plastic is sharp around RT and LT and hurt my index fingers.
The older controllers and Elites are better in that area.
Therefore my Series controllers are just backup controllers and haven't used them that much to get any other issues with the build quality.
Otherwise the share button is at a stupid place, when you switch from an Elite to the Series controllers.

2 series x controllers had the right trigger stick. I've been gaming since the NES, and aside from loose joysticks from use, I've never had a controller fail on me.

Worst controllers ever. Makes me wonder about how they built the console...

Top Bottom