• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you also have all kind of problems with the Xbox Series controller (Not Elite)?

Larxia

Okay so this is something I've been wanting to discuss for a while.
We all know Xbox Elite controllers are known for their issues, we can see posts about people saying how unreliable it is and all the various problems they have with it all the time.
My question however is do you have similar problems with the regular Xbox Series controller? Because I do, and it's driving me crazy.

I'm on my third (well actually 4th there's one I sent back immediatly because of a problem straight out of the box) Xbox Series controller and they all had problems.

My first Xbox Series controller got stick drift after only 6 months. I sent it back for "replacement" but the Xbox support was quite terrible, and they actually just send you another used controller (which wasn't even the same color as the one I sent them), and it came with issues too.
This second controller made weird stick noises, like a mouse click noise when the stick goes back to the center, and the d-pad feels mushy on the right side.

I thought I would go with a brand new controller to fix the problems, and this third controller was okay for about one month, then started to do this weird stick noise too, and the sticks started to feel "not smooth", not sure how to explain it, like if there were some bumps on the axis, it doesn't move around smoothly and it feels very bad.

I recorded a little clip about the weird stick noise I'm talking about, here it is :

You can hear that when the stick goes back to the center, it make a strange high pitch sound, it's probably the spring making this sound, but I never had this on old controllers.
I just talked to a friend about it and he told me he has the same thing on both his Xbox Series controller, Elite, and even on the dualsense... So I assume it's something that's present on mostly all controllers.

So now I'm wondering, do you all have similar experiences? What are the options? It seems like all the different controllers available right now have ton of random problems, and I'm really not sure what to get now.
I was thinking about maybe trying the dualsense, but I know it's prone to stick drifts too and now I know that it has this weird stick sound too, so I'm quite disappointed since I really don't know what my next pick will be, and I'm really tired of having to buy new controllers like this. My xbox 360 controller lasted me something like 8 years.

It's really annoying.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this since most of the usual talk is about the Elite controller and not the basic ones.

Edit: I'm playing on PC by the way so that's why I talked about maybe trying the dualsense, I'm open to all controller options working on PC.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Never had a problem at all with any of mine. But it’s so annoying how they have e such low input lag.

Graciaus

If you are playing on pc you are better off with an Xbox controller. I haven't used that specific controller but if you are on the fourth one I'd just get the Xbox One controller. Mine has lasted me for years.

elliot5

None really. My series S home/nexus/guide whatever it’s called button is a little different than my xsx one. Like its more recessed (basically flush) and doesnt feel as responsive but still works.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Weird none of my dualsense make that stick sound and I tried a friend series controler and i don't think it made that sound either....Maybe you got very unlucky ?
Though I understand that it can give you cold feet of buying another.

Larxia

Weird none of my dualsense make that stick sound and I tried a friend series controler and i don't think it made that sound either....Maybe you got very unlucky ?
Though I understand that it can give you cold feet of buying another.
I'm quite unlucky in general, but maybe you're also very lucky :p
It's strange because that stick noise doesn't happen on all axis, on both my controller the noise is the loudest when it's coming back to the center from the bottom or the left.
Up and right makes much less noise if any sometimes.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Do you happen to live in europe ?Because if so the minimum guaranty (warranty ? I'm not sure which word to use) is 2 years and if you go to a famous store they will usualy change it straight away...

Maybe check out third party ones like from Nacon on youtube.
I got that sick ass Forza controller so I probably wont until this thing fully breaks down lol. But you're right, I hadn't considered third party stuff. Worth a look.

IMG_2037-640x359.jpg

Larxia

Do you happen to live in europe ?Because if so the minimum guaranty (warranty ? I'm not sure which word to use) is 2 years and if you go to a famous store they will usualy change it straight away...
I'm from France yes. The problem with the Xbox warranty is that they just send you another used / refurbished controller, so it's quite frustrating when you got a brand new one that's just a month old, to get it replaced with a probably much older one with probably other issues.
Not sure what store you are talking about.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I'm from France yes. The problem with the Xbox warranty is that they just send you another used / refurbished controller, so it's quite frustrating when you got a brand new one that's just a month old, to get it replaced with a probably much older one with probably other issues.
Not sure what store you are talking about.
Not one specificaly but Fnac or Darty can be quite lenient and give you another instead of you having to go through Ms or Sony custormer service.
Edit: Darty are usually less informed about video games stuff so you may have more chances of it getting replaced there than fnac (you can also often preorder at a fnac ask to pick it up at a Darty and you can usualy get it a few days earlier since they rarely know the release dates of games)

Last edited:

Kev Kev

got a brand new one and it got stick drift within a year. they sent me another (it looked new but wasnt in a box) and it hasnt given me any issues. its been about a year with the new one now, i think. crossing my fingers for no more issues. i made a thread with a poll about it not long ago. seems to be an issue with all 3 main consoles, but nintendo joycons are by far the worst offender. then id say xbox, and PS after that. only judging from what ive heard and replies int hat thread.

some people say its always been like this, but ive heard a ton more people say it never happened back in the day, only within the last generation or so

Larxia

I got that sick ass Forza controller so I probably wont until this thing fully breaks down lol. But you're right, I hadn't considered third party stuff. Worth a look.

IMG_2037-640x359.jpg
I looked into third party controllers and it all seems like a nightmare.

I looked at some third party 360 controllers, and apparently they all have a very big issue being that they have huge dead zones, making the sticks very not precise.
I then looked at third party for modern controllers, and it's not much better. You have some """ high end """ things like the Scuf controllers, they are extremely expensive, more than the Elite, and ton of people report the controllers breaking down in about 3 months.
You have also some cheaper options like the PowerA controllers, but when I read some reviews it doesn't seem much better than the official ones at least, very short life span, buttons and triggers breaking.
There's even a controller from Razer where you can't use the bumpers and the triggers at the same time, because the bumpers physically block the triggers, such stupid design.

So yeah, maybe there is a magical third party savior somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

LordCBH

I got a series X controller to use with my pc cause I thought the screenshot button would work (it doesn’t. Thanks Microsoft. Thanks.) it’s been just over a year with it and the left analog stick sticks when I move it forward or forward left, the right trigger sticks, and the B button is sometimes unresponsive. The left stick also makes a whining sound when I pull it back into place.

My Xbox one controllers never did this. Also, Microsoft, make the share button work on pc. Thanks.

Last edited:

Larxia

I haven't had mine for very long, but no issues so far.

Biggest complaint is how bad it feels compared to the DualSense.
I never tried the dualsense but are the buttons much quieter compared to the xbox controller? While this isn't part of the "breaking down" issues, I do dislike the amount of noise the buttons makes on this controller, especially the d-pad.

anthony2690

Banned
No issues at all, did drop a pad a few too many times by accident though (well knocked off my side unit) sent it off for a free repair as I broke the RB button.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I got a series X controller to use with my pc cause I thought the screenshot button would work (it doesn’t. Thanks Microsoft. Thanks.) it’s been just over a year with it and the left analog stick sticks when I move it forward or forward left, the right trigger sticks, and the B button is sometimes unresponsive. The left stick also makes a whining sound when I pull it back into place.

My Xbox one controllers never did this. Also, Microsoft, make the share button work on pc. Thanks.
I know you can use a macro with ds4Windows but I don't know if it works with an xbox controller, maybe there's another app that does that ....Or maybe in the gamebar?

LordCBH

I know you can use a macro with ds4Windows but I don't know if it works with an xbox controller, maybe there's another app that does that ....Or maybe in the gamebar?

If I press the guide button to bring up game barI can navigate to the game bar screenshot button to take a screenshot, but the button in the controller just seems to be a dead button if you play on pc. I don’t think any game or software I’ve used has even been able to see the button at all.

Edit: decided to Google it. Microsoft is now saying I can map the button in an Xbox Accessories app on windows. I’ll try thst and see if I can get it to do screenshots.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I never tried the dualsense but are the buttons much quieter compared to the xbox controller? While this isn't part of the "breaking down" issues, I do dislike the amount of noise the buttons makes on this controller, especially the d-pad.
Yes, by A LOT. It's insane how much noise the Series controller makes in comparison.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
If I press the guide button to bring up game barI can navigate to the game bar screenshot button to take a screenshot, but the button in the controller just seems to be a dead button if you play on pc. I don’t think any game or software I’ve used has even been able to see the button at all.
I never use the gamebar so I wasn't sure, but maybe try to check for macro softwares.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I've never had stick drift on my series controllers. I had an issue with a sticky X button on one but Microsoft replaced it.

Tiamat2san

No problem so far , 2 original SX controlers and a 20th anniversary one are absolutely fine .

The play and charge kits are garbage though, I switched to rechargeable batteries.

Reizo Ryuu

The face buttons on the thing seem to be iffy, my launch series controller didn't detect the Y button unless pressed a certain way, and my Halo LE series controller also has finnicky face buttons, so I'm thinking that part of it is just poorly designed; the 360 controller's face buttons respond 100% of the time no matter how soft, or off-center the press is.
I just hate the clicking bullshit. Can hardly even play the thing late at night. And no gyro is dumb.
Well this is just working as intended, I don't think OP meant "subjective" problems, but objective things like degraded/faulty performance

TLZ

Banned
They're all good thankfully. Just the lime green one has discolouration on the sticks. They're turning brownish, even though my fingers always clean.

No idea. It's by design that it clicks that way. Does that on day one, especially the d-pad. I'm just not a fan of it.
Yea Xbox is a no go for me at night.

jaysius

Banned
I too hate the clickity clackity of the D-pad.

The only time I noticed any slight issue was when I tried to play MS Flight Simulator, the analog stick is a bit too poorly made for it, there's no stick drift, but when MSFS wants you to fly perfectly, the stick is just a little off center, this is the only game that's ever impacted.

As for people bringing the Dual Sense in here, it doesn't need a worthless gyro, nor does it need all the other gimmicks, but it could have used nicer L1 and R1, I prefer the L2 and R2 of the Series controller. The best controller would be the Dual Shock 4/Dual Sense L1/R1 with the L2/R2 of the Series.

The feel of the controller overall in the hand is amazing, it's the best sculpted controller that's been made, it's not too big and not too small, and the weight distribution feels perfect with a Xbox or 3rd party battery pack in it.

Headphone jacks in these controllers are an issue though, I had a newer controller the Aqua Shift that the headphone jack produced heavy static in my Fidelio x2HR headphones, and the headphones were fine elsewhere, lucky for me I got a refund at EB Games, the person there said that it does happen in Xbox Series Controllers.

I'm really excited for the Elite Series 3, I hope they announce it at this year's E3.

Last edited:

LordCBH

No problem so far , 2 original SX controlers and a 20th anniversary one are absolutely fine .

The play and charge kits are garbage though, I switched to rechargeable batteries.

I learned the hard way how shit the play and charge kits are…..I got like half the play time out of them as I did with regular double a’s, and they stopped holding a charge after about 4 months.

Rykan

I've had the exact same issue as you have in the video with my Series X controller. It's quite annoying and I'm not sure if it can be fixed. That's the only issue i've had with it though. I don't like how loud the buttons are on xbox controllers but thats not a defect.

Last edited:
Mine works fine. I hate the clicking of the d-pad though. I often use the analog stick at times when I'd rather use the d-pad just to avoid the clicking.

I also hate the fact it still uses AA batteries. My media room seating has USB ports, so I can plug my controllers in without having to get up. It dies me very little good when I'm still required to use AA batteries for the Xbox though.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
After a couple months the Y button sticks a bit. Probably my own doing. Love it despite the clicky dpad

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That would drive me crazy.

You know how I know?

Because that video embed caused some process to endlessly run that looped the audio for that video until I restarted my computer.

And I am now crazy.

Larxia

That would drive me crazy.

You know how I know?

Because that video embed caused some process to endlessly run that looped the audio for that video until I restarted my computer.

And I am now crazy.
Oh weird, streamable never caused me issues like that, sorry for that :messenger_hushed:

Calverz

I just tried my controllers and nearly all of them have noise when you click thumbs ticks back to center. Dual sense included.

Clicking noise from the buttons and ... input lag?! That's the only two things that come to mind. After a couple months, I like the DualSense better tbh.

Top Bottom