• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you believe Sony will try and secure or develop a major WRPG game this generation?

It seems like they have been responding to every other gap in their library, either with 3rd party marketing/times exclusives, 3rd party development deals, or acquisitions.

They had a hole in FPS games (especially after losing Bethesda), they got Deviation which are BLOPS guys, Firewalk is also working on an FPS game and Bungie

They needed a push into mobile so they acquired Savage Game Studios. They acquired Haven as a means to build a development studio in Canada which seems to be working as they are getting a flood of Ubisoft Montreal devs.

They acquired Nixxes for PC Porting. Firesprite is a Swiss Army knife of things they needed, VR Development, shooters, and they are also working on Twisted Metal.

Sony didn’t make a big fuss about losing Zenimax knowing they were trying to get Starfield, which makes me believe they will try and get something else substatial. It seems right now the only thing not rumored to be in development or through a marketing deal is a big WRPG, outside of KOTOR which who knows how thats gonna go.

Last edited:
Develop?

Sony hasn't developed rpgs, well they were labeled rpgs, since 2001.

They only made 3 "rpg" series and they all flopped and they put considerable expense in. They likely won't developed an RPG themselves (outside of mobile) because of the risk of losses.

As for securing, they don't really need too. Any actual rpg considered profitable is not going to go exclusive unless it's from a small Jrpg studio or Square Enix. Problem is they already have those studios for the most part exclusive from the competition outside a few games by default

So unless they want to drop but loads of cash in on a AAA rpgs that may not end up with the results they want (which many devs will refuse because they will cut their potential profits being PS5 only) I don't see Sonys securing rpgs either.

Sony is going in on FPS because there's a higher chance of reward and turn around on the investment can be potentially quick. It's also easier for social gaming and for their GAAS strategy.

Last edited:
Develop?

Sony hasn't developed rpgs, well they were labeled rpgs, since 2001.

They only made 3 "rpgs" they all flopped and they put considerable expense in. They likely won't developed an RPG themselves (outside of mobile) because of the risk of losses.

As for securing, they don't really need too. Any actual rpg considered profitable is not going to go exclusive unless it's from a small Jrpg studio or Square Enix. Problem is they already have those studios for the most part exclusive from the competition outside a few games by default

So unless they want to drop but loads of cash in on a AAA rpgs that may not end up with the results they want (which many devs will refuse because they will cut their potential profits being PS5 only) I don't see Sonys securing rpgs either.

Sony is going in on FPS because there's a higher chance of reward and turn around on the investment can be potentially quick. It's also easier for social gaming and for their GAAS strategy.

I think you’re crazy if you think sony is going to sit back and let things like Elder Scrolls VI release with no offer of their own. Bethesda’s rpg were big sellers on playstation, i don’t see them not trying to secure something big of their own.

The thing about WRPG games is they lock people into the ecosystem for a long time. Thats why something like that is good for gamepass, longer engagement similar to multiplayer.

Sonys single player action games don’t really do that, they are going to want longer rpg games of their owon

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just have bluepoint remake bloodborne.
ross-geller-david-schwimmer.gif

I think you’re crazy if you think sony is going to sit back and let things like Elder Scrolls VI release with no offer of their own. Bethesda’s rpg were big sellers on playstation, i don’t see them not trying to secure something big of their own.

The thing about WRPG games is they lock people into the ecosystem for a long time. Thats why something like that is good for gamepass, longer engagement similar to multiplayer.

Sonys single player action games don’t really do that, they are going to want longer rpg games of their owon

People said what you said 15 years ago and we still won't see an rpg because Sony doesn't want to spend the money making their own or securing a potentially high selling one for an insane amount of money.

The dark horses are too risky to pump filled with cash because there is uncertainty on their performance.

Sony is moving more towards GAAS, even for some of their bigger franchises, securing an RPG that's not GAAS infested (which aren't common outside of mobile much) with a high risk is likely something they aren't going to do.

I mean they grabbed FF exclusivity for a reason, they think that will cover any holes, along with the Jrpgs they already have in many cases auto-exclusive.

People said what you said 15 years ago and we still won't see an rpg because Sony doesn't want to spend the money making their own or securing a potentially high selling one for an insane amount of money.

The dark horses are too risky to pump filled with cash because there is uncertainty on their performance.

Sony is moving more towards GAAS, even for some of their bigger franchises, securing an RPG that's not GAAS infested (which aren't common outside of mobile much) with a high risk is likely something they aren't going to do.

I mean they grabbed FF exclusivity for a reason, they think that will cover any holes, along with the Jrpgs they already have in many cases auto-exclusive.

I mean isn't it kind of obvious that an MMO set in Night City would be extremely lucrative?

Sony funded Demon's souls as a response to Oblivion. And got Bloodborne for the PS4. I hope that they will continue this with a new From Software exclusive for the PS5:messenger_halo:

Sony funded a lot of things in response to thing during the PS3. Including Lair, and a partnership for Haze, among many other things which much of backfired which contributed to Sonys financial problems back then.

Oddly, it was when From moved away from Sony that Souls games started to grow each entry. Now there is an Elden Ring. Meanwhile, despite the Soul games and Elden, Bloodborne and Demon Souls Remake never caught on even half as much.

Sony has been a lot more selective than the used too during the PS3 days.

I mean isn't it kind of obvious that an MMO set in Night City would be extremely lucrative?

That wouldn't be a counter to ES6 and would throw most of what you said previously out to the dumpster.

MMO is a completely different thing, and btw, Sony still has FF14 exclusivity. They are probably going to try converting games to their GAAS strategy that are less risky than an MMO.

Sony funded a lot of things in response to thing during the PS3. Including Lair, and a partnership for Haze, among many other things which much of backfired which contributed to Sonys financial problems back then.

Oddly, it was when From moved away from Sony that Souls games started to grow each entry. Now there is an Elden Ring. Meanwhile, despite the Soul games and Elden, Bloodborne and Demon Souls Remake never caught on even half as much.

The common thread there is that Sony typically has a response to what other platforms are offering at the time.

The Final Fantasy XVI and FF7Remake deals were inked well before they lost starfield, so thats not the response to bethesda.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why is CDPR not viable? I’d say the Witcher 3 was probably the best big WRPG made last generation. Both Bioware and Bethesda dropped the ball hard last generation.
I think Bethesda and Obsidian’s pedigree is far greater than CDPR despite The Witcher 3 being, IMO, tied with Skyrim as the best WRPG ever made.

You can talk about BGS dropping the ball (the only miss they’ve ever had IMO is Fallout 76 which wasn’t made by the main studio) but CDPR have only published 2 games on PS, and Cuberpunk was an absolute disaster.

I don’t think CDPR fit in with Sony’a culture,

Yoboman

I think they are ready to buy From Software if the opportunity arises but otherwise no

In fact I think we are pretty much past the acquisition rush for anything major. Activision will be blocked and companies are operating at a much lower value than a year ago and unlikely to sell right now

envyzeal

Maybe if they sponsor/develop one of those new studios being made up by veterans.
You don't have many great studios that aren't part of a big group available, and there's always an issue:
CDPR is very expensive. Spiders is a subsidiary. Larian, Talewords, Piranha Bytre, Warhorse, Owlcat, maybe irrelevant for a purchase or too niche.

MS made a great job securing WRPG, specially if they get Diablo for action/isometric sub genre.

That wouldn't be a counter to ES6 and would throw most of what you said previously out to the dumpster.

MMO is a completely different thing, and btw, Sony still has FF14 exclusivity. They are probably going to try converting games to their GAAS strategy that are less risky than an MMO.

How do you figure?

The future capability of CDPR and their IP are pretty extensive.

Witcher 1 Remake
Witcher 4
Cyberpunk 2
Cyberpunk MMO

A Cyberpunk MMO isn't that risky.

I think they are ready to buy From Software if the opportunity arises but otherwise no

In fact I think we are pretty much past the acquisition rush for anything major. Activision will be blocked and companies are operating at a much lower value than a year ago and unlikely to sell right now

Wonder what you're basing that on. The Activision stuff basically put a hold on things, but it hasn't put an end to things.

You have major players waiting to see what happens with Activision because it will guide them on their next steps.

Companies aren't spending as much money, but companies also don't cost as much money either. I think we still are going to see a lot of M&A moving forward.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member

True, but I consider that like the Nintendo games on Wii U: it was more a console install base being too small than anything else. And Sony kept a relationship with them since.
For me Sony looks at the market and try to help studios that are promising or have a great idea. Games like Sifu are not made with Sony input, they just help with funding and gain a game exclusivity in the process. Genshin Impact is the best example of that strategy working well for them. At the same time there is moments were Sony help in the making of a game like Fall guys and we know that they plan in having more GAAS in the future. For me if they found a promising game they will fund it, but probably not ask a studio to do that for them. In the meantime they have pushed for marketing rights for games like Hogwarts legacy and that seems to work well for them too.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
There's opportunities with newer studios. Ex-CDPR staff, ex-Bioware. Wouldnt surprise me.

I think WRPGs honestly are not the huge focus now though or they would have done it. Its GAAS. WRPGs havent been that relevant for a decade.

OuterLimits

It would likely be necessary for them to be quietly developing that RPG already, or it likely wouldn't be coming until at least early next gen.

The Final Fantasy XVI and FF7Remake deals were inked well before they lost starfield, so thats not the response to bethesda.

I never said they were. Your quote wasn't even talking about them.

How do you figure?

The future capability of CDPR and their IP are pretty extensive.

Witcher 1 Remake
Witcher 4
Cyberpunk 2
Cyberpunk MMO

A Cyberpunk MMO isn't that risky.

CD Projeckt is already stretched thin, and good luck if you think Sony is going to run after them for an exclusive for what will likely be an expensive partnership.

True, but I consider that like the Nintendo games on Wii U: it was more a console install base being too small than anything else. And Sony kept a relationship with them since.
For me Sony looks at the market and try to help studios that are promising or have a great idea. Games like Sifu are not made with Sony input, they just help with funding and gain a game exclusivity in the process. Genshin Impact is the best example of that strategy working well for them. At the same time there is moments were Sony help in the making of a game like Fall guys and we know that they plan in having more GAAS in the future. For me if they found a promising game they will fund it, but probably not ask a studio to do that for them. In the meantime they have pushed for marketing rights for games like Hogwarts legacy and that seems to work well for them too.

No, the PS3 was in a bad position but it took quite some time for Sous to become big when it spun into Dark Souls, it was a loud minority for some time until it became trendy enough to get more people to jump in and then the series took off. But Sony's attempts to capitalize on that with Demon Souls Remake and Blood Borne did not pan out with similar growth.

Certain games and design is appealing and some aren't. Microsoft had bad luck with many of their third-party exclusive picks last gen themselves. But during the PS3 days Sony was throwing into the wall to see what stuck.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m pretty sure that’s all there is to it. Demon’s Souls on the PS5 is 10x better than Bloodbore.
I disagree, no only I like visual in Blooborne better but also Demon's Souls combat and boss fight is very basic compare FROM's later games.

I never said they were. Your quote wasn't even talking about them.

CD Projeckt is already stretched thin, and good luck if you think Sony is going to run after them for an exclusive for what will likely be an expensive partnership.

No, the PS3 was in a bad position but it took quite some time for Sous to become big when it spun into Dark Souls, it was a loud minority for some time until it became trendy enough to get more people to jump in and then the series took off. But Sony's attempts to capitalize on that with Demon Souls Remake and Blood Borne did not pan out with similar growth.

Certain games and design is appealing and some aren't. Microsoft had bad luck with many of their third-party exclusive picks last gen themselves. But during the PS3 days Sony was throwing into the wall to see what stuck.

Sony can help CDPR reach a new level with support from other studios and increased hiring, with the ability to not have to rush their games to satisfy investors.

With them working on a 3rd brand, it's an ideal time to acquire them.

Yoboman

Wonder what you're basing that on. The Activision stuff basically put a hold on things, but it hasn't put an end to things.

You have major players waiting to see what happens with Activision because it will guide them on their next steps.

Companies aren't spending as much money, but companies also don't cost as much money either. I think we still are going to see a lot of M&A moving forward.
If you run a company are you going to sell after your share price has been crashing for a year or wait until it returns to prior market conditions?

If Activision fails it also basically takes any big publisher out of the picture

Top Bottom