• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you care about video game credits?

I do. I love taking in the credits music and seeing the staff that worked on the game, thanking them for the great game experience I just finished. Often a great credits sequence recaps the feeling I had through ought playing the game. Reheating Resident Evil 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles and seeing both of their credits rolls reaffirms my feelings about credits rolls in video games. What about you, GAF? Care about credits in video games? If yes, what are some of your favorite video game credit rolls?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I usually let the credits roll on anything. With games, I.watch them anticipating Easter-eggs or additional cutscenes.

JayK47

Only if there is something to see while it is going on, like concept art or something. Also important that they are skippable. Deus Ex Mankind Divided has 20 or so minute unskippable credits which is crazy stupid.

Dthomp

Not usually, gotta do something interesting or have post game stuff happening while they roll or I don't care.

tillbot8

Banned
Nah, just replayed MW2 remastered and the ending scene is pretty cool, won't spoil it tho for the one person on the planet who hasn't seen it!

Nymphae

Banned
I like when they make credits accessible but not mandatory. Some people do want to check them out, and I have nothing against people signing their name on their work, but don't force me to sit through a slow crawl when I just want to save my game or move onto more of the available content, they should always be skippable.

Vawn

Banned
Of course not? Games, movies, television, whatever. Why would I? It's just hundreds of names I've never heard of. It's about as interesting as walking into a random high school graduation and sitting around listening to names of people I've never heard of for several hours.

CitizenX

Banned
I JUST finished metro Last light(highly recommend), the Creative director is also one of the lead sound designers. Pretty amazing for such a small studio.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Yeah usually I like seeing how many people it took to create a game/movie and how big departments are. If a movie/game is really good then I might research some of the creators and see what else they created that I might take a look at.

Thurible

Yes, they recognize the work the developers put into the game and sometimes add extra scenes, includes great music, or occassionally adds in even little minigames like in Smash Bros.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It’s great when you finish a game and you see the credits roll. DMC3SE has fun end credits. Now a days I’ll watch them for a while and then skip to the end. The best part is after the credits when you see what you unlocked or your final results. Saving after beating a game is just as satisfying. Some games actually have “The End” or “fin”.

I also liked it when the development team thanked you for finishing their game. Social Media makes things toxic because adding negative emotions after seeing “Thank You” is hard. It’s cool to feel like the development team is thankful that you paid for and finished their game.

I liked the way Final Fantasy XII’s credits appeared after the “Kiss me Goodbye” played during a well done cutscene

Street Fighter EX 3 had a similar style to DMC3SE. It’s a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Sometime, Kojima always do it in a fancy way.

Btw at the movies theater in japan we stay until the credits run over, meanwhile I try to find someone in the credits who share my name lols.

Abear21

Banned
A buddy of mine thought there should be an achievement/trophy for watching.

I generally don’t watch them, but it must be nice if you worked on it to see your name roll by. Thanks to all those names I’ve never seen though, like most things in life it’s those you don’t hear about that actually make the thing go.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Old games had fewer staff and better music, often with good visuals worth watching (because of the lack of staff). Give me the Streets of Rage 2 ending any day of the week, or the Sonic 2 medley.

If it’s a modern game that has decent English VA, I’ll check the names out. Even then, I’ve often IMDB checked before the end.

Outside of that? No thanks. Devs work hard and lots of people contribute to that finished product, but I’m about as interested in names of all those people as the staff list of the railway company when I get a train or everyone in the factory that made my pair of shoes.

stranno

I always check them, I want to know what studio actually developed the game (since press sites are so lazy when it comes to accurate info, most of the times they just point the publishers as the developers) and the tools (engine, sound, physics, etc).

Not a big fan of interactive credits (Vanquish) or amazingly slow scrolling texts (Assassin's Creed) tho.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't care less about them, sorry.

sephiroth7x

I *did* but then some developers began taking the piss a bit (looking at you UbiSoft) with credits that would go on for longer than your pad sleep mode activation.

I do try to, especially if I have enjoyed the experience, but mostly nowadays I won't lie, I hope I can skip them and either carry on with the game (if its open world) or do any optionals if it takes me to the menu.

xrnzaaas

Unless the credits have a nice song or they're prepared in an interesting way - no. And I absolutely hate non-skippable credits which you have to watch if you want to get game completion trophies.

Miles708

Thanks to Ubisoft, no. I do not care for credits.

I really agree with you, I still have flashbacks from the credits in Far Cry on the original Xbox: no audio, a still background (the same of the main menu) and an endless, aseptic list of names. Shame.

That said, i ALWAYS watch the credit in their entirety, and actually I get pretty mad when they're not done with at least the minimum amount of care... it makes the game feel rushed and uneventful. Just a good ending music is enough, but it's important to make them to complement the game's atmosphere. It's the perfect epilogue to an epic/fun/thrilling journey.

Then there's the Panzer Dragoon Orta ending, that's a category of its own.

The buildup at the 1:25 mark makes gives me goosebumps every time, even after all these years.

Belmonte

Yes, I do watch at least one time, for respect and to have a little bit of introspection, to think about the game I played.

I get kind of pissed how they didn't use the devs real names in the 8 bits era, specially Konami. I understand it was to prevent other companies from stealing their employees but those guys deserved the glory.

That said, many modern games push their luck with thousands of names, uninteresting music and slow speed. So sometimes, even I skip them.

Not even fucking slightly.

If I can't skip the bloody things then I go and make a cup of tea instead.

I could not care any less about the names of people who did things I don't really understand and will never remember.

I mean let's be honest, the entirety of the credits could be made up, every name fake, every role imagined, and it would not make a single lick of difference.

The only time the people behind games are of any importance is when a new game is coming out so you can gauge their previous achievements to temper your expectations.

It would be better for everyone if instead of credits, there was just a screen that read "Well done, now fuck off and do something productive, you cunt".

Top Bottom