• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider “pro” controllers as “pay 2 win”?

Do you consider “pro” controllers as “pay 2 win”?

• Yes

Votes: 21 9.7%
  • No

Votes: 175 81.0%
  • Undecided/No Experience With These Controllers

Votes: 20 9.3%

• Total voters

Dutchy

Maybe I am just thinking too narrowly, but I can't see how having a little extra customization and back paddles available with the controller could overcome skill, reaction, time, etc.

I played with a Xbox pro controller for a few years on PC and it didn't give me any advantage that I could tell. I'm a scrub, and it didn't make me any less scrubby, despite how much I customized it. It only made gaming more comfortable for me in some circumstances.
When you map your paddles appropriately, you can cut your reaction time in half or combine actions that would otherwise quite literally be impossible. Currently I have them mapped so that I can perform any action without having to lift a finger. So there are zero intervals in which I am by definition immobile because I do not have the fingers to touch any buttons with. This gives me a very noticable advantage over other players, to the point where I often get called out for it even.

To really see it pay off requires you to be in way more heated situations though. I've dabbled in high level Halo play and having a friend who is currently #75 on Apex helps to see benefits come to fruition as well. Definitely not for everyone or any game since you're only talking about shaving half a second off your reaction time, at most.

Last edited:
You gain a better result with a high refresh rate TV/Monitor or at playing at 120/144hz than with one of these overpriced controllers.

You have a clearly advantage to someone who plays at 60HZ.

Do you think playing at higher framerates is pay 2 win??

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Halo Infinite you need to be able to look around and move ie the core fundamentals.

Left and right thumb constantly occupied.

That leaves Jumping, Aiming (zooming) running, crouching, sliding, reloading, switching weapons, melee, equipment and grenades. Those actions are supposed to be able to execute while moving and aiming. That are 9 actions preferably done while moving and aiming. With only two back buttons that leaves one action where you're forced to use your thumb which means you can't move or look for a brief second. And this hypothetical comes from using a pad with two back buttons. So even going the extra mile you're still at a organic disadvantage regarding a smooth experience.

When you map your paddles appropriately, you can cut your reaction time in half or combine actions that would otherwise quite literally be impossible. Currently I have them mapped so that I can perform any action without having to lift a finger. So there are zero intervals in which I am by definition immobile because I do not have the fingers to touch any buttons with. This gives me a very noticable advantage over other players, to the point where I often get called out for it even.

To really see it pay off requires you to be in way more heated situations though. I've dabbled in high level Halo play and having a friend who is currently #75 on Apex helps to see benefits come to fruition as well. Definitely not for everyone or any game since you're only talking about shaving half a second off your reaction time, at most.

FStubbs

I remember Track and Field 2 on the NES being almost impossible with the normal controller and a joke with the NES Max.

SoraNoKuni

No but with an asterisk, their existence certainly creates some advantage and fragmentation in the community, but to call it p2w it's too much.

Top Bottom