• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Final Fantay XVI a new IP?

Outside of the name of course, it’s not really following any design or narrative philosophy of the series. I know at one point all final fantasy games were pretty much turn based, with a bunch of characters on the right or left side of the screen and a big monster or few. Then you had you basic menu’s and iconography, etc. but final fantasy hasn’t really adhered to any set design principle since 10.

I would say Forspoken probably has more in common with last mainline final fantasy than 16 does. I mean, different directors, producers, writers, story, chracters, gameplay, etc.

When you take all the above into consideration do you look at it as a new IP or not?

Doom85

John Candy No GIF by Laff

SHA

If it can't come close to what the Chinese devs doing then why not , from a cultural standpoint I can't tell the difference, they should make bigger games, not just by map size but with more and deeper contents wise, otherwise it's an empty desert like xv.

Nope. It looks pretty Final Fantasy and seems to be doing Final Fantasy things.
The team outlined some core Final Fantasy aspects in the interviews, too.

If this game didnt have the final fantasy name thats what you would think of? Because this looks like it could be called somethign totally different (EIKON FRONTIER) and i dont even think I’d think of it being even inspired by FF

Its not like Dragon Quest or Tales of where they have new stories but the mood, designs, and gameplay are all similar. I can’t even think of another franchise that completely starts from scratch every iteration

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
If this game didnt have the final fantasy name thats what you would think of? Because this looks like it could be called somethign totally different (EIKON FRONTIER) and i dont even think I’d think of it being even inspired by FF

Its not like Dragon Quest or Tales of where they have new stories but the mood, designs, and gameplay are all similar. I can’t even think of another franchise that completely starts from scratch every iteration
I would. The art direction is definitely in line with Minagawa’s previous work, which has been featured in Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy Tactics. Was also in Tactics Ogre.

Malboros, chocobos, moogles… it’s Final Fantasy. The darker themes, emphasis on conflicts between nations, characters involved in violence without being afraid to censor blood… if this game is inspired by anything, it’s Matsuno’s direction with Final Fantasy Tactics. But instead of tactical strategy combat, they’re going for action.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No? It’s Final Fantasy, I would even argue that it’s art direction screams classic FF, not to mention the summons are big part of the story and it’s gameplay.

Last edited:

TheTony316

No. Every Final Fantasy has it's own story, world and characters. Sure, the combat is different but that has been the case since FF11. Aesthetically, it looks exactly like FF14.

YukiOnna

With FF, they made it so that every single one is wildly different as you said, but it retains things that only FF has: Moogle and Chocobos, Summons, a Hero who eventually saves the world, and Crystals. It's definitely a lot more different than say how consistent Dragon Quest is or Persona, but even if you strip those away, it still uses terminology from FF titles such as aether or the general artstyle and music gives it away that it's an FF title.

People like Max was able to identify the game was Final Fantasy on reveal just from Clive's face lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Mostly yes, because each game is completely different from the others. How do you take FF XV vs FF IX vs FF VIII vs FF XII…?

TheTony316

With FF, they made it so that every single one is wildly different as you said, but it retains things that only FF has: Moogle and Chocobos, Summons, a Hero who eventually saves the world, and Crystals. It's definitely a lot more different than say how consistent Dragon Quest is or Persona, but even if you strip those away, it still uses terminology from FF titles such as aether or the general artstyle and music gives it away that it's an FF title.

People like Max was able to identify the game was Final Fantasy on reveal just from Clive's face lol

Yep, the face and the FF14 aesthetics gave it away rather quickly.

consoul

It's a bit of a departure, but no.

FFXIII and FFXV felt the same because XV was Versus XIII, but this departure is no bigger than many the franchise has been through before.

Ozzie666

Ultima's 9 and 10 look and play very differently to Ultima 1,2,3,4 etc. So, no. It's a mainline game in name and spirit.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is God of War 2018 a new IP? Is Tomb Raider 2015 a new IP? ..

Everytime I think I've seen the dumbest thing on the internet ppl surprise me.

Imagine if MS stopped making Call of Duty after the buyout and made a new game called Duty Calls.

Would that be a new IP as well?
Could be a neat way of not bringing the game to PlayStation/Switch that absolutely everyone would be ok with.

Last edited:
Nah. From what I’ve seen, while it does look different from the previous games, it still seems to have the now familiar “action” combat, unique looking characters and the huge fantasy world, so I’ll consider it a genuine Final Fantasy game. Now there might be issues with people if they drastically change the game where it’s literally unrecognizable, but I doubt that will happen. Each entry seems to generally do noticeable changes anyway. Honestly, it looks kind of like a combination of Stranger’s Paradise, FF12 and FF15 imo.

>Outside of the name of course, it’s not really following any design or narrative philosophy of the series.

Lol this has been the case for Final Fantasy games since 2009 since Final Fantasy 13. If anything this is the MOST final fantasy game since then. Forspoken on the other hand has very little to do with FF other than the engine being the same as 15.

Mozzarella

Not at all, its just a new FF game, if that was the case then Fallout 3 would be a new IP over Fallout 2 but it isn't.

I think based on trailers, FF16 looks like FF15 except better in every way.
FF stopped being turnbased only, I think Final Fantasy is like Ass Creed in this case, new changes but keeps the name for the better sales.

Fuz

Banned
FF12 is good and the two MMO's (especially FF14) are among the best in the series.
FF12 is decent - mostly thanks to the great artwork and good game world. But the writing is absolutely awful and stupid as fuck, the combat system isn't great and the cast is "MEH" at best.
I don't compare the MMOs to the SP games, they're different beasts altogether.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Can you make a book, comic video game called final fantasy without getting legal action against you?

From the Oxford dictionary:
Intellectual Property: an idea, a design, etc. that somebody has created and that the law prevents other people from copying

T4keD0wN

Yes, i do not concider Final Fantasy 16 being a part of Final Fantasy IP.
There... i almost typed that without bursting out laughing.

Fbh

No.
If anything I'd say the medieval setting, slightly darker tone and plot involving crystals and summons feels more "classic" FF than any other mainline entry in 10+ years.

Also I still don't get why this one is generating so many hot takes. Are some of you guys living in a parallel universe where the last (single player) mainline entry wasn't an action RPG with a single playable character about a boy band looking group of friends on a roadtrip, taking selfies and talking about Cup Noodles?

Last edited:
Top Bottom