• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Final Fantay XVI a new IP?

Yoboman

JRPGs more often than not essentially have new characters, new world, new systems etc. with some loose tying threads that connect the games. Maybe art style, character and item names etc.

The direct sequel is the less common route they go

Teslerum

Outside of the name of course, it’s not really following any design or narrative philosophy of the series. I know at one point all final fantasy games were pretty much turn based, with a bunch of characters on the right or left side of the screen and a big monster or few. Then you had you basic menu’s and iconography, etc. but final fantasy hasn’t really adhered to any set design principle since 10.

I would say Forspoken probably has more in common with last mainline final fantasy than 16 does. I mean, different directors, producers, writers, story, chracters, gameplay, etc.

When you take all the above into consideration do you look at it as a new IP or not?
No. Like at all. What is this take? Forspoken isn't at all like Final Fantasy either, unless you have no idea what actual FF principles are about.

This very much gives Yasumi Matsuno Final Fantasy vibes (Tactics, Vagrant Story, XII). You might as well ask if Final Fantasy: Tactics was a new IP.

In which case

you're nearly 26 years too late.

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
Honestly only FF7 has transcended the base brand and become its own “IP”. All the other games, even the great ones, are still part of the overall FF brand.

xion4360

its an RPG. It's got chocobos, summons, magic, crystals and a broody protagonist how the F is it not Final Fantasy? Because of the setting being more medieval or GOT style? I don't see how that makes it not FF when that is the part of the series that changes the most with new installments. If anything it feels more like classic FF

Last edited:

Teslerum

I would say Forspoken probably has more in common with last mainline final fantasy than 16 does. I mean, different directors, producers, writers, story, chracters, gameplay, etc.
And just to get into this for a second.

What?

The, for now known, FFXVI developers if anything have MORE pedigree in Final Fantasy than the FFXV team does.

Let's go through it:

Director: Hiroshi Takai - His first RPG at Square Enix was Final Fantasy V. He's got a special thanks on IV as well. He's been making Square games since the 90's began.
Creative Director: Kazutoyo Maehiro - Worked on Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Tactics Advance, XII, XIV.
Art Director: Hiroshi Minagawa - Art Directed Tactics and Vagrant Story, worked on XII and XIV. In addition, previously of QUEST, having joined Square alongside Matsuno.
Charachter Designer: Kazuya Takahashi - Worked on IX, X, the 3D remake of III, XI and XIV

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
At this point they could call it new fantasy and start from scratch, it's kinda ridiculous 16,17,18 etc...🫠

yurinka

No, because it is the 16th main entry of an IP.

it’s not really following any design or narrative philosophy of the series.
Not true, FFXVI has many things typical from FF since many generations and decades ago, like the RPG genre, a fantasy setting, chocobos, summonings, etc.

I know at one point all final fantasy games were pretty much turn based
Yes, but they were rehashing that since the NES and that combat system became highly outdated, repetitive and boring so they got rid of it many years/games ago.

Last edited:

NeonDelta

Final Fantasy is the IP. It's called final fantasy so of course it's the same IP

I take it some of the people in this thread agreeing with op are still drunk.

No.
If anything I'd say the medieval setting, slightly darker tone and plot involving crystals and summons feels more "classic" FF than any other mainline entry in 10+ years.

Also I still don't get why this one is generating so many hot takes. Are some of you guys living in a parallel universe where the last (single player) mainline entry wasn't an action RPG with a single playable character about a boy band looking group of friends on a roadtrip, taking selfies and taking about Cup Noodles?
God, I forgot about the Cup Noodles. XV is such a disgrace

It's a question worth discussing. Technically no of course, but there have been new IP that share more mechanics with existing IP from the same company than Final Fantasy from one installment to another. Like Bethesda games, you just know exactly what you're gonna get. Outside the first few, Final Fantasy games cover such a diverse range of settings, across the spectrum of time, past, future, present, with mechanics that often change drastically from game to game, sometimes it does feel like you're hoping into a new IP. So by dictionary definitions, it's not, but by what new IP often means in practice, you might be able to argue that.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Final Fantasy is not Final Fantasy since 13.

They might as well call it something else, it wouldn't make any difference.

It's a question worth discussing. Technically no of course, but there have been new IP that share more mechanics with existing IP from the same company than Final Fantasy from one installment to another. Like Bethesda games, you just know exactly what you're gonna get. Outside the first few, Final Fantasy games cover such a diverse range of settings, across the spectrum of time, past, future, present, with mechanics that often change drastically from game to game, sometimes it does feel like you're hoping into a new IP. So by dictionary definitions, it's not, but by what new IP often means in practice, you might be able to argue that.

You get it.

Obviously, it’s NOT a new IP in technical terms but if we look at it purely from a consumer POV it is really not tied to any kind of reoccurring game principles of the series. Outside of the iconography, like chocobo’s, the named summons, some of the monsters, etc. those things don’t make Final Fantasy an IP though. None of us really know how this game wil feel and play, what the story will be like, what the gameplay loop will be like, its a complete mystery. There are plenty of spin off games and non-ff gaes that feature those things also, no one would say chocobo mystery dungeon wasn’t a new IP.

To us, if say, we enjoyed FFXVI, we probably wouldn’t get a sequel to it, we’d get FFXVII which would be new gameplay, new director, new characters, new story. It’s why people can love one entry in the series and hate the next. Its why FFVII spawned it’s own series of games. Etc

Last edited:

AmuroChan

No, because that's not what an IP means. It doesn't matter what you "consider" it to be. It matters what the legal definition is, and FFXVI is decidedly not a new IP. Even from a game design perspective, FFXVI looks very much like single-player FFXIV.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Well...I've heard this before with FF, Dragon Quest, Assassins Creed etc.

No.

Its not saying its the same story or the same gameplay, but enough general ideas exist to make sense for it to be called Final Fantasy, even if its not the same story or not 100% the same gameplay or something.

I see this sorta like how people see film or show Anthologies...they don't say 1 episode of Tales Of The Crypt or Twilight Zone or Dark Mirror is a "new show" each episode or something, they understand there is a theme, general idea, concept that follows a static thing, that although has a different story and characters each episode, is part of a collection of ideas.

So...no. I don't see Final Fantasy as a "new IP" and all I can do is reference how it works with books, films and shows. We rarely if ever regard a individual Outer Limits episode as a "new property".

No, because that's not what an IP means. It doesn't matter what you "consider" it to be. It matters what the legal definition is, and FFXVI is decidedly not a new IP. Even from a game design perspective, FFXVI looks very much like single-player FFXIV.

No it doesn’t, have you played FFXIV?

Valonquar

sorting-hat-arrested-development-lucille.gif

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It's an anthology series. By definition every entry in the series is a new world, new story, new gameplay gimmicks, etc. Was the story about homeboy getting eaten by cockroaches not Creepshow because it didn't go by the design philosophies of the story about the dead dude who really wanted his cake? No, because it's an anthology.

People always jump on the first 6 FF games as a GACHA here, but I fully believe that those games would be far different from one another if they weren't limited by technology. And even then, you still had your gimmicks.

I - Sets up default expectations
II - password system, character development
III - job system, moogles, summons
IV - Five person party, emphasis on story
V - More robust job system
VI - Magicite/Relics/Desperation attacks, all would become staples.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

No, because it is the 16th main entry of an IP.

Not true, FFXVI has many things typical from FF since many generations and decades ago, like the RPG genre, a fantasy setting, chocobos, summonings, etc.

Yes, but they were rehashing that since the NES and that combat system became highly outdated, repetitive and boring so they got rid of it many years/games ago.

FF has always experimented with different combat style. Final Fantasy Adventure on the OG Gameboy in 1991 had real-time combat. That was the second FF game I've ever played.

TonyK

So the IP is only the title? Because Final Fantasy XVI is more different from FF XIIi than Elden Ring from Dark Souls, and those are considered different IPs.

//DEVIL//

To me Yes and No. ( NO ) because it has the same name as before. But ( Yes ) because every game has its own different story that is not related to any thing before ( not a sequel) with a different world and different character settings so it feels like a fresh new IP. especially when they usually introduce new gameplay mechanics in every game.

I guess from OP's logic NieR Gestalts/Replicants are new IP?

Nope same game director and writer, same story even if loosely connected, and same style gameplay

No one here has yet to name an example of a game sequel that completely changes the story, characters, gameplay, and devs attached to it. Also, im not arguing that FF16 is the first in the final fantasy franchise to act as its own game/ip, with only superficial connections across the franchise.

If I put moogles and chocobo in Forspoken it wouldn’t make it a final fantasy game. Shit, Diofield chronicles has final fantasy references in it.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Nope same game director and writer, same story even if loosely connected, and same style gameplay
Not really, have you played original Drakengard? other than both having real time combat the actual combat system very different from each, from how magic works from Dragon riding in Drakengard and genra shifting in Nier.

I bet you anything majority of people who played Nier didn't even know it was related to Drakengard but that still doesn't make Nier new IP.

like someone else said, Final Fantasy is anthology of fantasy RPGs and if you played enough Final Fantasy series one look you can easily tell its Final Fantasy.

Last edited:
Technically, no.

But in all intents and purposes, it pretty much is a new game and IP. Everything we know about Final Fantasy has been changed: combat, world, settings, characters, story, etc.

Yea, people said the same thing with FFIII (Job System), FFIV (Intro of ATB), FFVII (Fully 3D), FFX (Sphere Grid and "creating" your own classes), FFXI (MMORPG), FFXII (ADB), FFXIII (CSB), FFXIV (MMORPG with WoW-style combat system post 2.0), and FFXV (KH-esque battle system). Its almost like its a normal thing for the franchise to drastically change and shift its gameplay systems. World, setting, characters? Shit changed constantly even since FFII. First game was a classic hero's tale in a fantasy world with time travel and sci-fi elements. THen it became a more steampunk-ish world with demons, literal hell, and a bloody war in 2. Then it became full steampunk in 6, then full scifi in 7, then a mix between sci-fi and modern high school in 8, then classical fantasy in 9, then futuristic in X... each bringing new stories, characters, and more.

I don't think any of you people have ever played Final Fantasy given how much idiocy is being posted in this thread.

Not really, have you played original Drakengard? other than both having real time combat the actual combat system very different from each, from how magic works from Dragon riding in Drakengard and genra shifting in Nier.

I bet you anything majority of people who played Nier didn't even know it was related to Drakengard but that still doesn't make Nier new IP.

like someone else said, Final Fantasy is anthology of fantasy RPGs and if you played enough Final Fantasy series one look you can easily tell its Final Fantasy.

You said Nier Replicant and Automata.

Drakengard while loosely connected i do consider a different IP

Why would anyone consider or entertain something that is a factual inaccuracy?

Whether something is a new IP or not is not some subjective quantity that depends on the perspective of the observer. It's very much a clearly and cleanly defined definition. Any Final Fantasy game regardless of content is not a new IP.

If perhaps you'd have asked something like, "should FFXVI have been a New IP?" then yeah, would have been a much more interesting question for discussion.

What you asked, however, is the equivalent of asking "do you consider that 1+1 = 8?"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You said Nier Replicant and Automata.
No, read my original post again, I never even mentioned Automata
I guess from OP's logic NieR Gestalts/Replicants are new IP?
Drakengard while loosely connected i do consider a different IP
No they are not loosely connected, they directly connected. What happens to ending E in Drakengard with Queen Beast that actually destroy Nier's modern world and ultimately killing entire humanity.

demonstr8

No, I don’t, it isn’t and never will be, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the words you used in your question.

Azurro

Banned
Lol, this is bait, but hey, why not?

Medieval fantasy
Chocobos and Moogles (Kupo!)
Summons with all the classic ones like Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, etc.
Storyline that revolves around Crystals
Marlboros and other classic FF enemies
New cast of characters and story (every mainline FF does this)

Why do you get the idea that this could be a new IP? Only because the gameplay is more experimental than usual?

Top Bottom