• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Minecraft to be within the top 10 games of all time?

Elog

Easily. It is not my cup of tea but it is up there with Astroids, Space Invaders, PacMan, Doom, Tetris, Everquest/WoW etc - it is a game that will define more than one gaming generation.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Absolutely it is. The base game solo is quite boring. But if you add friends it’s amazing.
Creative or survival, it offers a lot.

Or alternatively modpacks which are downloadable and playable with a few clicks can add so much to the game.
Magic modpacks are good. Technical modpacks are great. There’s so much choice.

lordrand11

Minecraft is the biggest game in the history of video games.

I have always considered it one of the greatest games ever made, but I rarely see it in the top tens from the average hardcore gamer.

There are things about Minecraft that no other game can match.
- Since everything is made of blocks, everything can be removed and created anew, every single part of the whole world is interactive and provides 100% creative control.
- One of the smart things about Minecraft is the size of the blocks, since they are relatively big, they are easy to hit and place, making reshaping the world fast and accurate.
- The core of the game (harvest, mine, craft) is so fine-tuned that it doesn't need sequels, it doesn't get outdated, it's like Tetris or Pacman, it hit upon a style of play that is hard to improve or change without breaking the game.
- Its concept of lego and building blocks appeals to how children learn the world. Minecraft is constantly recreating and building its audience as a play/learning tool for kids.

Where do you think Minecraft fits within the halls of video game greatness?
Personal top 10 no.

Influential top 10 video games of all time, absolutely, it's staying power and persistent updates over the last 13 years have created a model that several companies have utilized over the years (most notably NMS developer Hello Games). I can't even begin to describe the amount of hours I've put into this game every time I turn back to it after not playing and just create randomly what's in my head.

Frankly, the only man-child here is you.

You're on a computer/video game forum. I have no idea why. Don't you have some grass to tend?

"Frankly".

WTF was that "no, you" response.

Yes this is a gamming forum and that was my opinion, don't like it? Eat some d onuts.

Rubik8

All four of my kids love it. The oldest played it in the early days. So of course I’ve been roped into playing with them, and I’ve got many hours under my belt observing them play. That said, it’s a wildly creative game and sandbox. But personally I find it incredibly dull and I would never play it otherwise.

Wouldn't be Top 10 for me but there's no doubting the lifespan, impact of it and how popular it still is even today. Never really sunk a crazy amount of time in to it but it can be fun and the OST is soothing, relaxing and very nostalgic.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
It doesn't do anything for me personally, but I completely get and respect why it would make the list. Same for Fortnite.

MagnesD3

No not even close, it's barely good. (9.0 on my scale). It's just a sandbox with modern Legos, mostly appealing to kids and mainstream sandbox people.

You make the game not the developers..

Favorite part was the unique world generation and calming music but it probably wouldn't be in my top 300..

Last edited:

wibago

Banned
*back in the day*

What are the top 10 games of all time?

Resident Evil 4, Zelda: OoT, FFVII, KotOR, Street Fighter II, SotN, Streets of Rage 2, etc.

*now*

What are the top 10 games of all time?

Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox, Among Us, Five Nights at Freddie’s, etc.
if you are in search of Apartments for sale in Keserwan Lebanon. check out the link
This truly is the darkest timeline.
mine here
  1. Tetris
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
  3. Super Mario Bros.
  4. Minecraft
  5. Grand Theft Auto V
  6. Half-Life 2
  7. Doom (1993)
  8. World of Warcraft
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  10. Metal Gear Solid

Last edited:
Top 10 favorite? No. Top 10 most influential/important? Possibly, the fact that even now it's still super big is kind of absurd given it came out, what, 13 years ago? (Don't remember when alpha/beta/full release happened but it's been a very long time from a gaming perspective. )

I don't get it. I bought it yeeeeeeears ago before MS bought it. It was fun for maybe 10-20 hours but after that I lost interest.

I can't remember the last time I played it but I don't see any major changes that makes me think I gotta give it another try.

Maybe for kids and man childs it is an exciting game but it doesn't do anything for me.

NickFire

Never played it. Bought it multiple times for kids on different devices. Hands down one of the top 10 games of all time. The amount of joy it has brought to the people that love it cannot be overstated.

Filben

Personally, no, not for me. Historically and measured by its impact, critical acclaimed and players, both active and in the past, yes.

Fuz

Banned
How much did it influence the market? Honest question, because I might be overlooking something.

Yes, it's big. Huge. YUGE. But it doesn't seem to be such a huge influence on successful game design. Just some clone or lookalike, but far from a Mario or Ultima or Zelda or DooM.

tommolb

It's in my top 5 certainty. Sunk probably a thousand plus hours into it over the years.

It's very much a gameplay over graphics game and you either love the gameplay or loathe it. It's both very accessible and has a depth to it (redstone mechanics, mega farms and alike).

I do think Mojang/Microsoft have dropped the ball on it though in the last few years as the last few updates have been kinda meh.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
wat-dis.png
giphy.gif

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
Minecraft is the biggest game in the history of video games.

I have always considered it one of the greatest games ever made, but I rarely see it in the top tens from the average hardcore gamer.

Where do you think Minecraft fits within the halls of video game greatness?
There are roughly 136,000,000,000,000,000 flies here on earth, and most of them love eating đź’©. Just saying.

giphyiviyp.gif

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
My top 10 games of all time pretty much happened before the NES released. Except for maybe Mass Effect.

zcaa0g

Banned
Graphics alone keep it from the top 10. It's not gameplay over graphics when both are possible at the same time in the modern era and regardless of genre.

Top Bottom