• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you consider Minecraft to be within the top 10 games of all time?

OOGABOOGA

Banned
There is no doubt the game is successful. Personally tho, I consider it to be one of the most boring games ever made and don't let me start with the fandom, they are one of the most annoying fandoms ever, on top along with Kpop stans.

Last edited:

Rubik8

If my kids were making a top 10 list, Minecraft would definitely be in it. Personally, it wouldn’t be in my top 100. Overrated garbage.

turnpaper

Banned
Minecraft is the biggest game in the history of video games.

I have always considered it one of the greatest games ever made, but I rarely see it in the top tens from the average hardcore gamer.

There are things about Minecraft that no other game can match.
- Since everything is made of blocks, everything can be removed and created anew, every single part of the whole world is interactive and provides 100% creative control.
- One of the smart things about Minecraft is the size of the blocks, since they are relatively big, they are easy to hit and place, making reshaping the world fast and accurate.
- The core of the game (harvest, mine, craft) is so fine-tuned that it doesn't need sequels, it doesn't get outdated, it's like Tetris or Pacman, it hit upon a style of play that is hard to improve or change without breaking the game.
- Its concept of lego and building blocks appeals to how children learn the world. Minecraft is constantly recreating and building its audience as a play/learning tool for kids.

Where do you think Minecraft fits within the halls of video game greatness?
yes, i consider it.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's a weird thing

You can't argue that it's not relevant. Shit is still big, and with people discovering new stuff to do every single day

...thou one can argue that is basically just a Lego game and it's not really his jam

STARSBarry

Gold Member
nope, not even in my top 1000.

KG3aWPb.jpg

Kev Kev

i do actually.

its just so enjoyable, fun, creative and gives me the feeling that im spending my time wisely when im playing, bc of the immense level of ejoymet im getting out of it. its fun with other people, by yourself, its good to relax or just listen to podcasts or music while building. there is a world to explore, stuff to find, plenty of things to do as far as mining and building go. and overall its just too good to deny and my 1000+ hours of minecraft speaks for itself.

there is A TON of stuff it doesnt do tho, and thats where i can understand people saying "no, its not top 10". its just personally in my top 10, and im sure millions of other people.

Zannegan

I've never cared for it. That said, given its impact, longevity, and even its flexibility, how could you not?

MiguelItUp

No. But it's one of the top 10 most popular, sure. But I personally don't care for it at all.

Though I loved the idea of kids loving Minecraft more than them loving Fortnite. As it felt like a much better outlet for creativity and more.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Terraria is better in terms of being an actual RPG and having an actual progression system, as well as actual bosses, weapons, armor, etc.... but otherwise fuck yeah. Minecraft is an actual masterpiece of game design and it's the one game i can think of that deserves all its popularity. The actual endless creativity and gameplay possibilities that come from Minecraft is fucking wild. Even if you're not in it for survival, creative is fucking fun to fuck around with. And then the online just gives you a bunch of other people to create shit with and servers to play with. From every perspective i can think of it dominates. Fortnite on the other hand.... dear god.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not to mention that the caves are frankly a masterpiece in atmosphere and visual design. the fact that you can enter an underground cave that manages to look so realistic and deep despite being made out of literal fucking voxels and pixel art is mad. and then they made the world generation and design somehow even crazier with the caves and cliffs update. I don't talk about it much but if it were the only game i could ever play in my life i wouldn't care that much lol

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes, even just for creative mode.

The build possibilities are almost endless and you can create your own openwolrd. I've built giant labyrinths, complete with MASSIVE buildings dotted around like temples, castles, underground arenas etc, built replicas of real life medieval castles and huge, sprawling medieval cities and even huge underwater cities.

it's like virtual Lego and for me it's incredibly therapeutic. This makes Minecraft one of my personal all time classics.

GymWolf

It really is the saddest timeline if a topic like this is even remotely possible...

To me it looks like the most hideous shit ever made.

Last edited:
Top 10 games of all times? It's more like kindergarten app, not a game.
My how we've come such a long way.

As someone who's heard "games are for kids" more times than I can remember. We've come full circle to the point where they're considered a "kindergarten app" instead of an actual game.

If anyone was going to make this grasp, it had to be you Bo_Hazem. It was always going to be you. 😁

Codes 208

I do if only because i have a great time playing this with friends. Its a good game to lose time to when you have nothing better to do.

Though playing Solo? This game can get pretty boring pretty quickly however. (Unless youre making art in creative or something)

Monokrom

Well it's digital lego and that works for lots of ppl. It's a creative game for sure.
Is it for me? Nope, it looks like trash and I don't have the patience for this kind of entertainment.

Thebonehead

Banned
Tried to get into it a few times and failed miserably.

And that was that.... until my daughter asked me to play it with her.

She then taught me the mechanics and it became a whole new paradigm shift with layers of complexity I hadn't imagined.

wibago

Banned
Minecraft is the biggest game in the history of video games.

I have always considered it one of the greatest games ever made, but I rarely see it in the top tens from the average hardcore gamer.

There are things about Minecraft that no other game can match.
- Since everything is made of blocks, everything can be removed and created anew, every single part of the whole world is interactive and provides 100% creative control.
- One of the smart things about Minecraft is the size of the blocks, since they are relatively big, they are easy to hit and place, making reshaping the world fast and accurate.
- The core of the game (harvest, mine, craft) is so fine-tuned that it doesn't need sequels, it doesn't get outdated, it's like Tetris or Pacman, it hit upon a style of play that is hard to improve or change without breaking the game.
- Its concept of lego and building blocks appeals to how children learn the world. Minecraft is constantly recreating and building its audience as a play/learning tool for kids.

Where do you think Minecraft fits within the halls of video game greatness gaming ini?
Minecraft is widely considered one of the most successful and influential games of all time, with over 200 million copies sold across all platforms. Its open-world sandbox gameplay and creative freedom have made it a favorite among players of all ages, and it has been used as an educational tool in schools and museums around the world. While it may not always rank at the top of "hardcore gamer" lists, its impact on gaming and pop culture is undeniable. Many consider it a classic and groundbreaking game that has inspired countless imitators and clones.

Last edited:
Maybe top 10 most iconic or high selling but nowhere near top 10. It feels boring to play unless i'm playing with friends. People overrate games way too highly just because of how iconic they are.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Marcus got it right. His use of the audience to create Minecraft was genius. Is it top 10 for me? No, but to the world it might be #1.

CGNoire

Yes it is. Only people without a creative bone would argue otherwise.

That being said I vastly prefer Dreams and in a Perfect World Dreams would be the King.

CGNoire

Not to mention that the caves are frankly a masterpiece in atmosphere and visual design. the fact that you can enter an underground cave that manages to look so realistic and deep despite being made out of literal fucking voxels and pixel art is mad. and then they made the world generation and design somehow even crazier with the caves and cliffs update. I don't talk about it much but if it were the only game i could ever play in my life i wouldn't care that much lol
Idk what there GI hack is but it creates mindblowing lighting in indirect spaces. I assume because there is only 6 directions that surfaces can face helps alot in optimization.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I have never played Minecraft but saying this game isn't one of the 10 most influential games of all time is genuinely stupid, only Sony Fanboys will think so and I am sure they count Knack and Little Big Planet in the top 5.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
*back in the day*

What are the top 10 games of all time?

Resident Evil 4, Zelda: OoT, FFVII, KotOR, Street Fighter II, SotN, Streets of Rage 2, etc.

*now*

What are the top 10 games of all time?

Minecraft, Fortnite, Roblox, Among Us, Five Nights at Freddie’s, etc.

This truly is the darkest timeline.

geary

Maybe top 10 most iconic or high selling but nowhere near top 10. It feels boring to play unless i'm playing with friends. People overrate games way too highly just because of how iconic they are.
This can be said almost about every game made ever. It's high subjective how it feels... The only objective metric is copies sold. That means someone show interest in the game and gave money to try it.

PeteBull

TLDR- any non kids/younglings/teens hate minecraft with a passion or at best got 0 affection to it and treat it like air, myself included.
Younglings so ppl in their 20s and younger- those guys played it as kids so more than likely love/praise it, cant be helped.

Last edited:
This can be said almost about every game made ever. It's high subjective how it feels... The only objective metric is copies sold. That means someone show interest in the game and gave money to try it.
You can quantify how many copies of a game are sold but it doesn't dictate the quality of a game.

Never played it. I always sucked at lego. I don't have an artistic bone in my body. If I don't want to build cool stuff is there any point to it? Like is there an interesting core single player experience with a sense of progression and an ending? I watched the South Park episode about getting a horse in Minecraft and I still don't know how one would get a horse in Minecraft.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Obviously. It became a phenomeno for a reason. Also helps that I have a brain with a bare minimum of creativity. It's worth mentioning that I've "only" played it in co-op with my son, which I think is the proper way to play it, definitely helps on the fun factor.

If stacking a few blocks is the extent of how far your imagination go before going out of bounds then I can understand why don't enjoy it. To be fair, sandbox gameplay is not for everyone, especially if you're used to being saturated with mission markers.
35% tongue in cheek

Last edited:
Top Bottom