• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever miss triple-A first person shooters with strictly linear story campaigns?

Do you miss them?

• Yes, Drizzle, my heart aches for those games to come back

Votes: 162 76.1%
  • No, Drizzle, I didn't even notice that they're gone

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don't care tbh

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters

Ivan

They became problematic for AAA development after being stale for many, many years. We definitely need some changes in that genre, and what you described is the only type of FPS I'd play today. I really wish some top studios that havent worked on FPS games tried something with new approach.

COD-like campaign formula is overdone, but something fresh would be awesome on today's hardware. I can't believe we're talking like this about fucking FPS campaigns... how times have changed.

We all love Gabe, but I remember him being one of the first to say this and push games as a service idea hard instead. And he created Half-life and Half-life 2 :(

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yepp. A tightly crafted campaign is more enjoyable that most open world esque ones. Give me another Titanfall 2 quality campaign any day.
Titanfall 2 was so ridiculously good, the fact that it flopped is one of the great gaming tragedies of the last generation.

Hudo

Titanfall 2 was so ridiculously good, the fact that it flopped is one of the great gaming tragedies of the last generation.
Did it really flop? If so, then fuck everyone. Titanfall 2 was legit. I rarely replay FPS games; I usually only replay Half-Life 2, Halo, Halo 2, Doom and Quake 1 & 2 from time to time... AND Titanfall 2.

StueyDuck

I just miss good game design. Whether it's wide/open or linear

My biggest gripe with the most recent MW2 campaign is how poorly designed it was, crafting and running away in the final mission 🤣, shielded bullet sponge enemies likes its a battle Royale, weird car chase sequences where you are driving shooting and car surfing like some sort of Nathan drake, who signed off on those ideas. I'm all for being inventive but it needs to fun to play

An example would be the metro franchise the first two were great. But the most recent one experimented wirh a more wide linear design and it really brought the game down (in my opinion at least)

Machine games wolfenstein games suffered a similar fate with the second/ co-op spinoff suffering from poor game design (as well as a plethora of story issues, but that's a different issue than the topic)

Last edited:

phant0m

While not AAA itself, y’all need to buy Trepang2. Spiritual successor to FEAR, at least from a gameplay perspective.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did it really flop? If so, then fuck everyone. Titanfall 2 was legit. I rarely replay FPS games; I usually only replay Half-Life 2, Halo, Halo 2, Doom and Quake 1 & 2 from time to time... AND Titanfall 2.
Yeah, I do remember reports of it under-performing. And the release of Apex Legends was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any kind of sequel to that game. Which is something that I will never be able to cope with, lol.

EA was also to blame here because they just shat out that game without much fanfare, and it had to compete not only against direct competition, but also against EA's own franchises such as Battlefield. Both TF2 and Battlefield 1 came out almost at the same time, and just before annual CoD release, which was just ridiculous and plain stupid. Titanfall 2 was destined to fail in that crowd.

Last edited:

Hudo

Yeah, I do remember reports of it under-performing. And the release of Apex Legends was pretty much the final nail in the coffin for any kind of sequel to that game. Which is something that I will never be able to cope with, lol.

EA was also to blame here because they just shat out that game without much fanfare, and it had to compete not only against direct competition, but also against EA's own franchises such as Battlefield. It was a big reason why that game failed.
Man, that's just sad...

I do have to say that the Battlefield 1 campaign had huge potential, mainly because of the setting. It would be cool if Respawn were given the resources and time to make a proper campaign for that...

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, that's just sad...

I do have to say that the Battlefield 1 campaign had huge potential, mainly because of the setting. It would be cool if Respawn were given the resources and time to make a proper campaign for that...
Yeah, DICE were only ever able to make one SP campaign that was genuinely good, and that was Bad Company 2 in 2011. If they intend to have a campaign in any of the future BF games then I agree, it should be done by a different studio such as Respawn, while DICE should just focus on the multiplayer part of it.

The thriving retro FPS/boomer shooter scene is giving me that fix. I don't miss AAA+ budget graphics, in fact I might even like properly done retro style graphics more. I love well executed low poly/build engine style graphics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom