• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever miss triple-A first person shooters with strictly linear story campaigns?

Do you miss them?

• Yes, Drizzle, my heart aches for those games to come back

Votes: 162 76.1%
  • No, Drizzle, I didn't even notice that they're gone

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don't care tbh

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters
I have been thinking more and more about Killzone 2 and Resistance 3 recently. I think Sony really could apply their modern production pipeline to an FPS and it be incredible. Killzone’s lore was ace but barely touched on.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’m swimming in retro style shooters right now, so can’t say I miss AAA shooters. Solid gunplay means more to me than budget size.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I do like the AAA production values but we are not suffering from a lack of good linear FPS games as the boomer shooters have picked up the slack.

SHA

Not really, even though this genre is second to none for me, destiny has changed my perspective in a good way, some may complain about its repetitive contents but it's no way near to cod, still considered fresh in my eyes.

Lokaum D+

Miss U GIF

intbal

Far Cry 5 and 6.
I haven't played 6, but I assume it's more of the same.

High on Life.
Although I think most would describe that as a double-A game.

Drizzlehell

Banned
We also had metro exodus that literally had 2 open world levels out of 10 and both dlcs for the game are linear as well
Yeah, finna play this after finishing Atomic Heart recently. Exodus has been in my backlog since forever but I never was in the right mood to play it until now. The first two Metro games were awesome so I'm expecting this to deliver as well.

YuLY

I miss them non-stop. That Timeshift, Prey (2006), FEAR, Singularity, Legendary goodness.

From what you listed from the last years, you could also give a chance to Atomic Heart and Terminator: Resistance. They are AA only but good fun.

SeraphJan

Resident Evil 7&8? Seriously?

Even if we look pass the "first person shooter" part, how is it linear? its Metroidvania level design not Linear

If you are looking for linear first person perspective game with gun play, Metro 2033 and Last Light would be better alternative.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
Every single day. Atomic Heart was a good one though. Very few are made these days. Thankfully the Boomer Shooter genre is on fire right now.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Resident Evil 7&8? Seriously?

Even if we look pass the "first person shooter" part, how is it linear? its Metroidvania level design not Linear

If you are looking for linear first person perspective game with gun play, Metro 2033 and Last Light would be better alternative.
ALRIGHT, pipe down.

It ain't open world either, that's for sure. Metroidvania style is also fine by me, as long as it's not too bloated. Games like Bioshock had an open-ended level design too but what makes them feel more compact when compared to those huge open world games like Far Cry, is that the levels themselves were fairly restrained in their size and there's usually some kind of a structure to them instead of just being 60 square miles of free real estate. Mission objectives usually tend to be linear in fashion in those games too, meaning that you usually have set number of goals that you have to complete by exploring specific parts of those levels.

anthraticus

Banned
Fuck no. I hated that and I don't like the modern AAA boring ass open world bullshit either.

Brother in Arms games were really good too. Especially when they expanded ordering your squad around.

Hidden & Dangerous was better and like the closest thing you'll can get to a WW2 version of Operation Flashpoint.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I won’t cry for linear fps shooters but if you’re not going to appreciate them, of course they should stay around. Sony ditching resistance, killzone, mag etc. remains a mystery.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I think it’s important to continue to have all kinds of shooters. Whether they’re linear corridor shooters or open world ones, or a bit of both. I personally loves Halo Infinite’s campaign. While at the same time, I love the Killzone approach.

Basically, give me more Killzone and Halo!!!!!

ungalo

I really had a blast playing FEAR 2 for the first time recently. It's crazy to think that this kind of game can't be made today as a AAA. Too simple, too direct, too centered on its fundamentals...

Trepang2 looks interesting but it's still an indie, think about what a big studio that tries to push every aspects could do with this kind of proposition.

Kataploom

Gold Member
All the time, I just played Bioshock 2 for first time last week and it was a breath of fresh air. That's why I prefer playing AA games mostly these days.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
A little bit. I think. When these games got too linear and cinematic in the early 2010s, they lost a lot of people's interest. Those games, along with 3rd person cover shooters, saturated the market with short, shallow experiences and it's not a mystery why the market was so hungry for open world alternatives like Far Cry 3 or whatever.

But not every linear FPS fits into this category. I think there is still an appetite for games like Half Life, or Crysis, or Halo that is being underserved right now.

I am particular in that sense; every once in a while I feel the absolute need to play a big epic story shooter... I've been known do drop ridiculous amounts of money on whatever Call of Duty is the latest to satisfy it, but other stuff like Titanfall or even Atomic Heart can be enough to fill the need.

Activision has gouged me at least twice paying over the odds for those CODs... I miss them and wish I had more options.

I am way more into things like Borderlands anyway so I hope thigs evolve in that direction

Nightrunner

Sure. I love the old James Bond games for the same reason, replayed Nightfire a couple of months ago and it was a blast.

LordOfChaos

Yes, there's nothing wrong with a tight linear campaign, and adding open world elements isn't always additive to the experience

I thought the open world stuff only detracted from Gears 5 for example, though not first person

Yes, and I also miss the linear fps games that weren't arena based. Most aaa linear fps games that come out now are arena fps's, which is a huge bummer. Even a lot of the so called "boomer shooters" are actually just riffing off of doom 2016 rather than doom. Boltgun comes to mind.

GutsOfThor

100%.

This is why even though I have no interest in the multiplayer aspect of Call of Duty anymore, I still buy the games purely for the campaign.

Which reminds me, last year’s Modern Warfare II has an absolutely brilliant campaign, it really deserves so much more praise.

Those Mexicans levels were fucking fun to play.

I just picked up a few PS360 era FPS games to scratch this very itch. Fear 2, Singularity, Resistance 3, Syndicate, Goldeneye Reloaded, Killzone HD, Far Cry Classic and Aliens CM. Think I'll be good for a minute.

Already played through Fear 2 and it was absolute tits. Can't believe I skipped it when it launched and it would've been amazing if the MP was still up.

Top Bottom