• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have a strong cultural attachment?

While I sympathize with your sentiment, it's a bit... defeatist. I live in a big ultra-liberal city, and the fact that I'm politically moderate makes me a literal devil from hell, at least in the eyes of many of the people in the very city I live in.

But you know what? I don't let that stop me. I celebrate American traditions and American things. I celebrate July 4th, every single year, American flags and all. I celebrate classic American cinema, arts, and music. I celebrate the Founding Fathers. Etc etc...

And people do protest that, because politics have sneaked into practically EVERY aspect of culture. But I don't back down. If people complain to me, I patiently tell them the many reasons why I'm proud to be an American and be part of American culture. And what you'll find out by talking to people is that their convictions are not that strong, and are mostly shallow posturing for social media credit.

Standing strong in American cultural pride, even in the face of opposition, is important 🦅🇺🇲💪🏾

A generalized American culture is silly and I expect it to die out over time. I have nothing in common with most Yankees, and I think their behavior should be mocked.

Forget 4th of July, half the people I work with don't celebrate Christmas or any other holiday that has cultural significance for me and people that grew up in the area.

A generalized American culture is silly and I expect it to die out over time.
Hard disagree; an overarching American culture is NOT silly at all, it's important and necessary.

As for it "dying over time," maybe time will tell. Looking inside from either coast, you would be able to tell that culture is still strong. Hell, even along the coasts, outside of major cities there are still lots of places that have a strong American culture.
I have nothing in common with most Yankees, and I think their behavior should be mocked.
"I have nothing in common with most Yankees..." Wait, so you're not even American? There's been this tendency for non-Americans to disparage American culture, where their idea of American "culture" is whatever trash they see on TV.

It's fine to criticize American culture, but, you know, "people who live in glass houses..." and all.

Forget 4th of July
If you're not American, yes, forget 4th of July, it's not your holiday. But if you are indeed American, no, do NOT forget 4th of July. It may be the most important/culturally significant date we have left on the calendar 😂

TL;DR I disagree with pretty much your whole post, but I'm just hoping part of that is just me having misread it/misunderstood your message.

Last edited:
Hard disagree; an overarching American culture is NOT silly at all, it's important and necessary.

As for it "dying over time," maybe time will tell. Looking inside from either coast, you would be able to tell that culture is still strong. Hell, even along the coasts, outside of major cities there are still lots of places that have a strong American culture.

"I have nothing in common with most Yankees..." Wait, so you're not even American? There's been this tendency for non-Americans to disparage American culture, where their idea of American "culture" is whatever trash they see on TV.

It's fine to criticize American culture, but, you know, "people who live in glass houses..." and all.

If you're not American, yes, forget 4th of July, it's not your holiday. But if you are indeed American, no, do NOT forget 4th of July. It may be the most important/culturally significant date we have left on the calendar 😂

TL;DR I disagree with pretty much your whole post, but in just hoping part of that is just me having misread it/misunderstood your message.

I'm from California and I blame people from the north east among others immigrating to this state for ruining our culture.

Yankees are people from the north east part of the country. Their culture is pretty much opposite of ours, and I find it annoying.

-Minsc-

I suppose I have a "cultural" attachment to something. Born in the Maritimes of Canada and never moved far from home. Still involved in the family farm, though not sure how long that'll last. Was never overly big into "Canada Day". There's all this talk about Canada being a diverse and multi-cultural country. It's not something I've made to big a deal of. There has definitely been a huge influx of people from away over the past 15 years. They used to play "Oh Canada!" in the morning at school. Never cared too much. If I sang Oh Canada I'd probably forget parts of it.

In a way, my internet life shaped my "culture". I'm sure it's the same for many in any country today. A person who has lived deeply in the internet will likely see things differently than one who does not.

These days I do have an interest in better connecting with my local community.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hmmm this is an interesting question, as I never felt I was a strong american culture believer... until I posted at Era for a while and was so turned off by the "anti-american" culture they stir there. It made me realize I actually take a great deal of pride in our country and culture.

Last edited:

RAÏSanÏa

I used to live 200m from the US border, so growing up I went there many times a week and it was night and day the display of American pride compared to Canadian one.
Can see that you identify with displays of nationalism(convoy & Canada Day), not celebrating finding value in regular, everyday, common patriotic behaviors that contribute to the nation without flash and noise.
Maybe you are more American/Floridian by nature. Have you considered emigrating?

Last edited:
I'm from California and I blame people from the north east among others immigrating to this state for ruining our culture.
Is this even a provable claim, that within the US the main migration to California is from the Northeast?
Yankees are people from the north east part of the country. Their culture is pretty much opposite of ours, and I find it annoying.
Yes, I know what Yankees are; under your definition I'd be one myself. I just didn't know many people outside of the "dirty South" (what was once upon a time the Confederate States) used the term "Yankee" on the regular 😂 Additionally, I've only seen the term Yankee used insultingly.

"Yankees..." and "Immigrants..." ruining "California culture" (whatever that is/was?) would, under any other circumstance, make you suspect in my eyes 😂 But... This time I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, fear not, you should be able to reclaim your California culture soon, as there was a net negative during the pandemic:

Cheers! 👍🏽🦅🇺🇲

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Yes, some people seem to think culture is just holidays/religion/art, but culture is everything.

..and fuck mass immigration. There are now a ton of people talking loudly and listening to music while using public transport. What's up with that? Don't they know you are supposed to whisper and generally not to make an annoyance out of yourself? Culture is dead. :messenger_neutral:

Schools should have classes focused solely on passing down the local culture.

Last edited:

manfestival

To answer the question proposed in the thread title.
Not really... though it is hard to really even say no to that. Most of my life I just never cared for the culture of my birthplace. Even when I go and visit family. The biggest thing I ever really cared about was the food there. Now I listen to the music and do the dances but it isn't out of respect for the culture or even a sense of cultural attachment. It is more of happenstance because of influence from friends. I even will purposely avoid wearing anything that shows the flag or just overtly is an indicator of this. Though most that are from there, are super proud of their birthplace. Just seems pointless to me to be so proud of something you had no control over.

Is this even a provable claim, that within the US the main migration to California is from the Northeast?

Yes, I know what Yankees are; under your definition I'd be one myself. I just didn't know many people outside of the "dirty South" (what was once upon a time the Confederate States) used the term "Yankee" on the regular 😂 Additionally, I've only seen the term Yankee used insultingly.

"Yankees..." and "Immigrants..." ruining "California culture" (whatever that is/was?) would, under any other circumstance, make you suspect in my eyes 😂 But... This time I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Besides, fear not, you should be able to reclaim your California culture soon, as there was a net negative during the pandemic:

Cheers! 👍🏽🦅🇺🇲

It may not be the main migration, but they are well represented in office jobs that require a lot of education, and they run offices like yankees.

You have a different culture. Yankees are among the loudest people on earth with a really obnoxious call out culture that is not tolerated if anyone else is doing it. If I thought yankees acted the way they did on purpose, I would just assume that all of you crave physical alercations and put all of your mental effort into seeing whether or not you can get someone to take a swing at you without bringing their mother into it.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yes.

To Japan.

teacher vehicle GIF

It may not be the main migration, but they are well represented in office jobs that require a lot of education, and they run offices like yankees.

You have a different culture. Yankees are among the loudest people on earth with a really obnoxious call out culture that is not tolerated if anyone else is doing it. If I thought yankees acted the way they did on purpose, I would just assume that all of you crave physical alercations and put all of your mental effort into seeing whether or not you can get someone to take a swing at you without bringing their mother into it.
With this post, you just invalidated your initial premise.

THIS is why we still need/encourage/celebrate an overarching American culture. Because it will reduce the "us vs them" mentality, nonsense like:

"Californian office jobs are held by you loud obnoxious Yankees."

"California -- by their own doing, and nothing to do with anybody else from the US -- only exports junk Hollywood and media, and is a rotten state to the core with an awful progressive mentality that's harming the whole nation."

See how awful over-generalized statements can sound? But... We can have and appreciate local cultural variations -- in a country as big as the United States, you WILL have local variations, it's impossible not to -- while having an overarching culture that brings us together, instead of pulling us apart.

But I'll leave it at that. You clearly feel a certain way, and while I disagree with you, I'll respect your view and move on.

Last edited:

HAYA8U5A

Grateful to be from a country like Canada but never had a strong connection short of being your stereotypical Canadian losing my mind during hockey games like the gold medal games in 2010 not really. I am a Christmas junkie but there is nothing about Christmas that I have ever felt is uniquely Canadian so I don't think I can really include that. Although in response to an earlier post I did love me some live action Corner Gas (Animated is a travesty though).

I am American, my dad is English, my grandparents are Ukrainian. We grew up in a very Ukrainian environment, food, language, etc. I have love and pride for all 3. This is me, this is my heritage, never forget your roots.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I am American, my dad is English, my grandparents are Ukrainian. We grew up in a very Ukrainian environment, food, language, etc. I have love and pride for all 3. This is me, this is my heritage, never forget your roots.
Good for you that you have any. Especially in these times.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m half British, half Australian, and I guess I feel a strong sense of attachment to the values inherent in both cultures. Both countries celebrate and defend freedom of expression and human rights about as well as any country on earth. Both also have very many flaws, but I feel the good outweighs the bad in the grand scheme of things. Culturally, the UK has more to offer than Australia, so I guess I lean that way more on that specific element.

BigBooper

I have a strong attachment to the ideals and most people. I have a stronger attachment to my region, state, and county than my country. As for would I volunteer if we were attacked, it really depends on the circumstances. I have no desire to protect our federal government, but if we were invaded and civilians were at risk, I think I would.

nush

Gold Member

You didn't mention your mother.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm really fascinated about Ukrainians and their pride in their country and how they are literally fighting for their lives over it. I'm a mixed race Canadian that has no cultural background whatsoever besides the American-lite way of life. Heck I can't even speak French nor English without a strong accent. I barely see pride in this country from the residents and now the majority of many cities have a different cultural background that seem to be proud about, and that comes first. African culture for Black history month, Chinese with their lunar year etc. I kinda miss this strong bond with fellow folks. I kind feel alienated with no strong self of belonging. We can't even celebrate Canada day because of Indigenous issues.

Thus to say, if Canada goes to war, who's gonna be defending the country values besides the army? I sure don't see normal folks, (maybe the truckers?) Like I said, I don't have a cultural attachment since I don't have a culture. Anyone feels the same?
My entire fam tree isn't religious or really that into being traditional followers of our background (aside from a handful of people who go to Sunday church). Like you, we were raised for most of our lives in Canada, so it's the Canadian way - which to me is a typically sterile way of living.

None of us speak French, nor care about it. It was just something you had to do in school for sake of following mandatory schooling (for you Yanks down south, French classes were mandatory for Ontario students from grade 5 to 9 when I was in school. But maybe it's changed the past 30 years).

Canada's white culture seems spread out and do their own thing. And for all the immigrants, they stick together mostly living in the major cities. Although there's more sense of cultural pride among minorities, the entire country has no doubt a fraction of the pride or backing up like the Ukrainians would. The chances of Doug Ford or Justin Trudeau holding a rifle is zero. They'd be holed up in some Diefenbunker V2. Trudeau would probably be in a safe spot in Washington DC.

If some invasion force started raiding our coasts or stormed Lake Ontario to take over Toronto GTA, I bet most people would do shit. We arent used to conflict. And aside from some people that might have hunting gear, nobody seems to have guns on them anyway. They'd wait for the Canadian army to handle it, or expect the US to help us out. There is no way I see the typical Canadian dressing up in combat gear, shooting enemies and trying to coordinate anti-tank rocket launcher attacks against enemies coming across the 401.

Last edited:

Amiga

You can embrace your culture while respecting others. North America dominant culture is Anglo-Saxon, strange that the rest of the world knows more about this than NA citizens.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A country without a strong culture will destroy itself.

So, England then?

I'm English. My parents were English. In fact, I've traced both my parents family trees up to the 1500s and all of them are English. I'm as native English as they come.

Yet, I feel England has lost its cultural identity and I can't understand why? For reason, celebrating English nationalism and English identity is taboo in the UK. Flying the St George flag, celebrating St George day or just saying you're a proud Englishman gets you a side eye at best, or worst results in getting you labeled a Nazi, racist, bigot etc. However, celebrating Scottish or Welsh national identity is encouraged and enjoyed by many people across the UK.

National days in Wales and Scotland are bank holidays, but St George day isn't. On St George day we just have a load of people trying to be smart by pointing out that St George wasn't English and never stepped foot in England. Yes. We know. However, funny how the Scottish aren't reminded on St Andrew's day that their national Saint wasn't Scottish and never stepped foot in Scotland.

England also suffers in other regards as well. It's the only home nation in the UK that doesn't have an official national anthem. Jerusalem is the unofficial national anthem for England, but at sporting events we get lumbered with the British national anthem of God Save the Queen. England is also the only home nation not to have its own parliament or national assembly.

England has a rich and unique culture and identity, but most people have forgotten it or feel they can't celebrate it without being accused of bigotry.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I dunno. I recognize my American southern roots, both my parents were from there (AL, and NC). Eat a lot of food, and enjoy a lot of cultural music as a result. Also had a military brat upbringing with its ups and downs. That said, I grew up with a critical eye and see the downside and negatives for what they are... A culture that was built on huge social disparity and a highly dominant/sometimes neglectful/abusive cultural (both from the region and military).

I am shaped by it, but I am not it. I'd like to think I thrived inspite of it but also have a grounded view and culture because of it. Guess it's complicated, and I now live far away from it all on purpose (PNW), but still cook amazing gumbo and banging chicken.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dunno. I recognize my American southern roots, both my parents were from there (AL, and NC). Eat a lot of food, and enjoy a lot of cultural music as a result. Also had a military brat upbringing with its ups and downs. That said, I grew up with a critical eye and see the downside and negatives for what they are... A culture that was built on huge social disparity and a highly dominant/sometimes neglectful/abusive cultural (both from the region and military).

I am shaped by it, but I am not it. I'd like to think I thrived inspite of it but also have a grounded view and culture because of it. Guess it's complicated, and I now live far away from it all on purpose (PNW), but still cook amazing gumbo and banging chicken.
Been to NC once to watch a Leafs/Canes hockey game long time ago. My group and I knew nothing about Raleigh, but all I know being there for a few days the people were super nice with that sweet "mmm hmm" hospitality. Also the first time I ever had US style BBQ at a place called Coopers somewhere in Raleigh. It was kind of sketchy as it seemed like a greasy spoon place with unmarked gallon jugs of grape juice or whatever in plain view on tables and the potato salads were spooned onto your plate like this a school cafeteria. But it was awesome food. So whenever I visit a US city, I always try to see if there's good BBQ places in town, which we dont have here.

BigBooper

So, England then?

I'm English. My parents were English. In fact, I've traced both my parents family trees up to the 1500s and all of them are English. I'm as native English as they come.

Yet, I feel England has lost its cultural identity and I can't understand why? For reason, celebrating English nationalism and English identity is taboo in the UK. Flying the St George flag, celebrating St George day or just saying you're a proud Englishman gets you a side eye at best, or worst results in getting you labeled a Nazi, racist, bigot etc. However, celebrating Scottish or Welsh national identity is encouraged and enjoyed by many people across the UK.

National days in Wales and Scotland are bank holidays, but St George day isn't. On St George day we just have a load of people trying to be smart by pointing out that St George wasn't English and never stepped foot in England. Yes. We know. However, funny how the Scottish aren't reminded on St Andrew's day that their national Saint wasn't Scottish and never stepped foot in Scotland.

England also suffers in other regards as well. It's the only home nation in the UK that doesn't have an official national anthem. Jerusalem is the unofficial national anthem for England, but at sporting events we get lumbered with the British national anthem of God Save the Queen. England is also the only home nation not to have its own parliament or national assembly.

England has a rich and unique culture and identity, but most people have forgotten it or feel they can't celebrate it without being accused of bigotry.
If/when Brexit is fully completed I wonder if that will change.

We have many people cheering on the dissolution of independent nations in the Ukraine war thread.

IDKFA

If/when Brexit is fully completed I wonder if that will change.

We have many people cheering on the dissolution of independent nations in the Ukraine war thread.

Yeah. I was probably one of them. Not so much cheering it on, but suggesting that as the Ukraine crisis is bringing the EU together, it might mean we're getting closer to a unified European state.

My idea of a unified European state would mean the idea of individual countries in Europe would need to end and be replaced by states of Europe. I'm not saying I want this, but I could absolutely see this happening soon. The EU is basically becoming a unified state by stealth anyway and national identity is waining across the EU. If a country doesn't control it's currency, borders and it's laws are superseded by EU law, then can it really be called a sovereign and independent country?

In terms of culture, would states replacing individual countries result in the gradual decline of national culture and identity in these former nations?

In terms of culture in England, I can't ever see a time when a majority of native English people start celebrating their cultural heritage, regardless of Brexit. It's a taboo subject that's deemed racist and xenophobic, so I can't see that ever changing unfortunately.

YCoCg

In terms of culture in England, I can't ever see a time when a majority of native English people start celebrating their cultural heritage, regardless of Brexit. It's a taboo subject that's deemed racist and xenophobic, so I can't see that ever changing unfortunately
2012 was the last gasp attempt at trying to make it cool again, and it nearly worked, but sadly that side of celebrating England always gets taken over by the wrong crowd.

IDKFA

2012 was the last gasp attempt at trying to make it cool again, and it nearly worked, but sadly that side of celebrating England always gets taken over by the wrong crowd.

2012 was about British culture, which is a mash up of all regions in the UK.

English culture and English identity has always been shat on. I understand the wrong crowd comment, but go to any country in the world and you'll find far right nationalists. Even Wales and Scotland will have their ultranationalists. Yet, it's just England where celebrating English culture, tradition and history is taboo.

Top Bottom