• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you mind when a game is released broken or in a bad state?

Do you mind when a game is released broken/in a bad state?

• Yes

Votes: 226 89.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • No opinion

Votes: 14 5.5%

• Total voters

DeaDPo0L84

Do you think this trend will end? No

Is it even possible to release something like BF2042 in a solid and polished state day one in 2021? Yes

Is there something we can do, as not buying doesn't seems to work? Yes, large enough quantity of people not buy the product at launch. But it'd have to be insanely significant, like unheard of numbers.

The issue is its not as simple as DICE fucking up in the case of BF2042 or CDPR in the case of CP2077. It's people well above them, it's forced deadlines, changes, features, that people well above them who have no fucking clue what's actually good for the game imposing their will and throwing these projects off course.

That doesn't remove the blame 100% off the developers but people love to send terrible messages to the artist or level designers who probably had shit all to do with why these big AAA games launch in such a terrible state. When really it's probably mostly the people in suits who are looking for a fat check before the holidays or before a certain fiscal quarter ends and give less than two shits about the product itself or the work the people will have to do to get it to an acceptable state post launch.

I no longer buy games on release date
This and not pre-ordering is the only solution to this problem right now. Why spend money upfront at launch when you will have to wait months for patches.

The crazy thing is this is becoming more common with bigger games which makes no sense because it’s not like these bigger publishers are hurting for money or don’t have the resources to ensure the quality is on point at launch.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
How is it my fault?

Why did RT mode get added to Guardians of the Galaxy later after the early adopters already finished the game? They should've completed the game before it came out.

I'm not going to buy any games at launch anymore for fear that they'll just improve it a couple months later so that I don't play an incomplete version of the game.
You literally just wrote a solution that only you can implement.

it is your fault
By your logic no one should have played Skyrim until 10 years later when the “definitive” version of the game came out.

Same could be said for anything on PC. Never play it until at least a few years later when your PC is capable of playing it at the highest settings and 8k.

You literally just wrote a solution that only you can implement.

it is your fault
By your logic no one should have played Skyrim until 10 years later when the “definitive” version of the game came out.

Same could be said for anything on PC. Never play it until at least a few years later when your PC is capable of playing it at the highest settings and 8k.
I'm not talking about waiting for a remaster. I'm talking about when they add new features a month or 2 after release and screw over the people who already beat the game.

Guardians of the Galaxy just got ray traced reflections on console and that was never promised to come with the game, so people who bought the game on release thought the game was finished and so they played it. Then a while later, they say here's the patch that adds ray tracing! While it's exciting to get improvements, the people who finished the game might be rather bummed out to have experienced the incomplete version of the game.

Same thing happened with The Medium. PS5 game launched with no ray tracing and it was added in later.

daveonezero

Banned
it’s the same thing. Matter if degree not of kind.

new features are added to games now ever since patches and expansions were a thing.

playing it early is a feature that you can either choose to partake in or not.

everyone who waited for those didn’t get to play it early.

it is a non issue.

there should be no one telling a developer when their game is complete or ready for martlet. No matter how broken or incomplete it may or may not be.

MikeM

Bugs me so much that the only games I pre-order are exclusives from MS or Sony. Even then, new modes get added 1-2 months after, but at least they work out of the box.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I enjoyed saints row 2 more because of the bugs and glitches. It adds more entertainment value for me on games like that.

ZywyPL

Banned
As always - it depends. If a game is broken at launch but I'm not interested in playing it in the next few months, then I don't care much. If it's MP that's broken, it's also not a big issue as this mode doesn't have an expiration date, it's meant to be played for months or years even, so again, a couple of weeks with bugs doesn't bother me much. But if it's a SP-only game I'm hyped for and play it on day one, it better be damn good.

SegaShack

Me too. Master Chief Collection was the last one for me.

I don't trust big companies with release dates anymore. I blame the companies as well as any consumer that defends these practices.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes.
Developers these days often need to rush games to reach deadlines under the pressure of publishers to appease stakeholders.
It it isn’t ready delay it a bit, but don’t release a broken mess just to meet an artificial deadline.
Alternatively, learn from past mistakes and calculate better for future projects in order to create a more realistic deadline.

Last edited:

Tschumi

I don't think i mind as much as certain of us, i just don't buy it, i don't feel the need to go get a tribe of gaming barbarians on the warpath about it

200.gif

killatopak

Gold Member
I question the sanity of those who don’t mind.

A question that is more harder for me to answer is if I would still play through it despite being broken. For me it’s probably on a case by case basis. There are some games I wouldn’t tolerate it, while there are some that I still push through cause I still find enjoyment despite the shortcomings.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Of course I care. Halo Infinite is a lot of fun, but it runs like ass on my more than capable PC, making me not want to play it as much. Also, the load times are atrocious.

Camreezie

If you dont care that's pretty messed up. As long as they fix it in the long run it's all good though. Just less incentive to be an early adopter

HoofHearted

I imagine if you're ok with your new car being delivered like this:

Then sure... it's ok..

Last edited:
It’s infuriating to be honest. More so when developers say how good they think the game is and the only reason for a short delay is for additional polish and to release a piece of shit.

There was a thread about MS charging $40k for developers to release patches. They should start doing that again, that would certainly put a lot of developers off releasing broken games. If they decide not to update them because of the cost? Fuck em. No one will buy anything from them again.

Ozzie666

For those of us who grew with cartridge based games, developers had to make sure their games were complete. Yes there were some games that had a revision, but the customer was usually unaware. Gaming has allowed this incomplete garbage to become acceptable. Publishers, keep pushing the envelope to meet deadlines, increase profits at our expense. As much as I am enjoying Halo for example, it's pushing the limits of my good will. It looks better, but its still an incomplete mess. It's a systemic issue from developers, publisher and retailers.

Even the Mighty Nintendo has succumb, whilst their games might not be bug riddles messes, they are clearly missing content. This goes against their history, which is troubling.

To answer the OP, I hate it, I won't pre-order anymore. I learned my lesson from Avengers, buggy incomplete crap. Sony and Microsoft are enablers with this, by allowing it to continue.

WoJ

Ditto.

I'd pre-order Dying Light 2 if I thought there was a chance in hell it wouldn't be broken at release. But I suspect it will be broken so I'll wait until it's fixed and get it on sale instead.

daveonezero

Banned
Quality control is a thing.
Yeah and so are previews, reviews. And social media.
It’s not like we can’t communicate when a game has a problem anymore.

it’s also not like developers can’t patch games.

it’s rare when a. Broken or incomplete game does well and then gets patched.

it’s more common for bad games to remain that way and good games to get better.

DrAspirino

Banned
I don't mind, since I never purchase a game day-one. I usually wait for when they're in sale and have patches. Let other people beta-test it first ;)

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Do they mind, yes, do they still pre-order, ofc they do and then they have buyer's remorse and say "its fine". Its ok to enjoy and love the game as long as you acknowledge the issues but most idiots don't. I loved CP2077 on PC but damn if it wasnt as buggy as shit and not as they marketed and anyone who said they had no issues were and are lying.

I had no issues with the game that I would consider game breaking or evidence of my game being broken other than a few odd deaths from wonky physics. Floating loot, t-posed characters and the like didn't mar my experience at all.

How is it my fault?

Why did RT mode get added to Guardians of the Galaxy later after the early adopters already finished the game? They should've completed the game before it came out.

I think their point was that no RT on GOTG was pretty well known before release.

minor bugs and glitches are ok.,every game will have a few. straight up broken shit like cyberpunk though, is a piss take! they knew about its state and released it anyway. completely destroyed their well earned reputation overnight.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'd rather have say BF2042 now than have it delayed an entire year, which is the only real option for a 'christmas gift' type game.
BF4 launched with plenty of bugs but was still plenty of fun and was mainly fixed a couple of months in.
Would I rather have Forza Horizon 5 now or wait till next year - the answer is hopefully obvious.

Broken? Fuck no, put it back in the oven.

Some bugs and changes based on launch feedback? Sure I'll play/wait as that goes through release.

Honestly the early access model is a good thing for game devs and gamers, it should be done more.

Notabueno

Banned
Astroturfing account spotted, what a stupid question that only someone with the bad intent of trying to manipulate opinions would ask.

Be careful of internet forums people, if it doesn't make sane sense then it's probably because some paid account is trying to astroturf you into selling you narrative against your own interests.

Last edited:

Banned
not before long console manufacturers will have to intervene because if this gets out of hand we might see a new video game crash.
Sony and Microsoft should do actual tests of games. and if they do not pass certain standards they get refused.

what I'm thinking of in this regard is testing for game breaking bugs. if their test players find an abundance of crashing or bugs that necessitate a reboot it should get declined.
if a game has a performance profile that is on average below 25fps it should get declined.
if a game exhibits a bug/glitch frequency of more than 2 every 10 minutes, it should get declined.

maybe have 2 or 3 people play a game from start to finish and mark down all the issues, while also playing with a framerate monitor on (dev kits can do that). and if it violates any of the mentioned requirements, decline it for release on your system.

for online only games, do that after the game is out of the developers refuse to give them early access and take them down as soon as they violate the requirements (which could happen after a patch as well)

the reason this will never happen tho is because Microsoft and Sony will be scared that the other party will not do this and for it to result in games coming exclusively to the system that doesn't have said requirements. so Sony and Microsoft would need to get into an agreement to both do these tests and to both decline games for the same reasons.

and yeah, that is a pipe dream and will never happen, but in a perfect world it would. in a perfect world Cyberpunk 2077 would have not been able to launch on Xbox One or PS4 in the state it was in at launch

Last edited:

dbilyliker

To be honest, I don't mind this with most games. Although I usually buy a game the first time it's released, I don't like to switch from one game to another before I've finished it. As a result, I didn't play most of the games when they were first released.

laynelane

Everyone in this thread has purchased a Bethesda RPG.

Funny you should mention that. It was purchasing Skyrim and Fallout 3/New Vegas for the PS3 that taught me to be very circumspect about purchasing games. I'd bought the games because of recommendations from pals who never brought up the technical problems. I still remember looking online after and finding out that not only were the problems well-known, there was no effort being made to patch them. It taught me to do that research before buying games from then on.

laynelane

Other people have gone into people who buy the games, publishers, and developers but I also look at the companies selling the games. Say a person does buy a game that is broken - they're usually stuck with it until or if it gets fixed. I think a robust refund policy would help, one for all platforms and physical stores. I get there is this fear and issue that people will take advantage, but it's also just weird how you can be sold a broken product and have very few or no options to get your money back. This is such an accepted thing in gaming too and I believe greatly adds to the problem of gaming companies selling broken games. Unfortunately, however, stores have shown no willingness to budge on the refund issue until legally forced to.

I had no issues with the game that I would consider game breaking or evidence of my game being broken other than a few odd deaths from wonky physics. Floating loot, t-posed characters and the like didn't mar my experience at all.

I think their point was that no RT on GOTG was pretty well known before release.
Did they promise RT was coming?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Steam/epic/ms refund process makes it easier for me to take a chance on a game but yeah I’m fed up with it. I buy very few games day one and with gamepass it’s ever fewer as of late.

DrAspirino

Banned
I question the sanity of those who don’t mind.
Why?

Because we can actually control our impulses and NOT purchase a game "day-one" because we know they come broken so we let other people beta-test it first?

If you purchase ANY SOFTWARE at launch, you're almost always "beta-testing" it. If you don't mind being a beta-tester, then go ahead, but know full well that what you're buying is a beta.

Heck, almost every software release date these days should be considered "public beta release", since it costs almost nothing to developers to push patches.

killatopak

Gold Member
Why?

Because we can actually control our impulses and NOT purchase a game "day-one" because we know they come broken so we let other people beta-test it first?

If you purchase ANY SOFTWARE at launch, you're almost always "beta-testing" it. If you don't mind being a beta-tester, then go ahead, but know full well that what you're buying is a beta.

Heck, almost every software release date these days should be considered "public beta release", since it costs almost nothing to developers to push patches.
Did I mention anything about purchasing or not purchasing?

Everything you said point to the fact that you do actually mind it. Not purchasing it doesn’t exempt you from thinking about it.

Last edited:

DrAspirino

Banned
Did I mention anything about purchasing or not purchasing?

Everything you said point to the fact that you do actually mind it. Not purchasing it doesn’t exempt you from thinking about it.
Sorry, my mistake, since english is not my primary language.

Maybe I do mind, in the sense that sometimes I think about it, but I don't worry about it, in the sense that most of the time I think "nah...let others beta-test it first" and then stop thinking about it (if it is something I'm willing to purchase).

If it's something I'm getting "for free", then I accept that I'm one of the beta-testers and bugs are expected xD

Last edited:
Top Bottom