• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you palate cleanse after you eat?

GeekyDad

Typically, when I'm done eating for the day (or that's my intent), I like to save the "best" for last. But...the best stuff usually triggers my appetite, and I'll wanna go beyond that point of being full. Not good. This morning I sat down with a quarter cup of roasted, salted pepitas and a serving of yogurt. I started with a bit of yogurt, and thought to myself, this is satisfying, but it's also kinda cleaning away those flavors that make me wanna eat more (like pepitas, currys, etc.). So, I went ahead and did the pepitas first, and then the yogurt. I feel full and ready to brush my teeth. The thought had come to mind before, but I never gave it much attention.

You guys ever tinker around that? And if so, what foods have you had success with as palate cleansers?

GeekyDad

Yeah, this most often. Otherwise, just a glass of water and/or tea.

Cold Water after every meal. Cant stand food or sticky soda residue need a constant ph balance of 7 when not eating or drinking.
I try to refrain, though, from drinking anything for about 20 minutes before or after eating. I've done that for years. I think my food digests better without liquids.

Trilobit

Something a bit sweet after dinner. A fruit is enough. The worst is when you have both a bag of chips and candy. You eat some chips until you've gotten enough of the salt. But then you take a piece of candy and it resets the salt levels and so it goes on until they're both empty.

Trilobit

Hmm, interesting. Coffee makes me jittery, while a small can of Red Bull only makes me a bit anxious. But I'm trying to stop drinking it, as I don't like the high sugar intake, so I think I'll try out some Earl Grey next week. I tried Yerba Mate, but it also made me jittery(but not as much as coffee).

Also I found this image when I searched for that tea:

tHrMnWS_d.webp

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Hmm, interesting. Coffee makes me jittery, while a small can of Red Bull only makes me a bit anxious. But I'm trying to stop drinking it, as I don't like the high sugar intake, so I think I'll try out some Earl Grey next week. I tried Yerba Mate, but it also made me jittery(but not as much as coffee).

Also I found this image when I searched for that tea:

tHrMnWS_d.webp

Earl Greyer is my favorite. But also look into “Blue of London”.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Typically, when I'm done eating for the day (or that's my intent), I like to save the "best" for last. But...the best stuff usually triggers my appetite, and I'll wanna go beyond that point of being full. Not good. This morning I sat down with a quarter cup of roasted, salted pepitas and a serving of yogurt. I started with a bit of yogurt, and thought to myself, this is satisfying, but it's also kinda cleaning away those flavors that make me wanna eat more (like pepitas, currys, etc.). So, I went ahead and did the pepitas first, and then the yogurt. I feel full and ready to brush my teeth. The thought had come to mind before, but I never gave it much attention.

You guys ever tinker around that? And if so, what foods have you had success with as palate cleansers?
Nice post….but you worry too much 🤷‍♂️

Lasha

Holy crap, though, at their prices. The Fujian tea starts at $36 for 1.75 oz. bag. I don't even think that's from Fuding. It looks like those larger leaves.

Think I'll stick with the po'folk stuff from Amazon. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

some of those exotic teas get expensive. I used to get $1000+ tea disks as gifts from work. Teas like that have wonderful flavors. They are troublesome to prepare and store.

I always have water after eating cheese or having something like a milkshake for example. I don't think that counts as a palate cleaner though does it?

GeekyDad

I never really thought about it tbh. The older I get though I have to take a healthy dump minutes after I eat.
Dumps can be great, but again -- to be specific -- basically something that puts the taste-bud fires out. I tend to want more whenever I eat something delicious. So, curious what other folks might be doing in order help in that department. Though I brush my teeth usually 15-30 minutes after I finish eating, I typically don't like to do it immediately, because well, I want to appreciate what I just ate.

GeekyDad

Well, I think I found my doer in terms of tea. Just happened to be watching one of the videos from a guy I've been subbed to for years, and he was interviewing folks for what types of things Japanese people typically keep in their fridges. Seems barley tea is very common. I'd never even heard of it before watching that video, but it sounded like something I might like because I love bread. Ordered some, it arrived today, drinking some now. Delicious. I almost added salt, but thought I should try it first by itself since I'd never had it before. Damn, it really satisfies that bread desire. Yummy.

I never really thought about it tbh. The older I get though I have to take a healthy dump minutes after I eat.

I prefer the pre-meal dump, if my dietary habits allow it to happen. Even better is a pre-meal dump & shower combo.

Oh, ummm, palate cleansing was the topic, whoops. The only thing I do after eating is mouthwash and/or brush my teeth, a few minutes after I've absorbed the taste of my food and drink.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I prefer the pre-meal dump, if my dietary habits allow it to happen. Even better is a pre-meal dump & shower combo.

Oh, ummm, palate cleansing was the topic, whoops. The only thing I do after eating is mouthwash and/or brush my teeth, a few minutes after I've absorbed the taste of my food and drink.
Morning coffee usually gets the guts flowing for me. No need for a shower, thanks to Toto.

Go ahead, ask me about my anal hygiene.

Tams

Well, I think I found my doer in terms of tea. Just happened to be watching one of the videos from a guy I've been subbed to for years, and he was interviewing folks for what types of things Japanese people typically keep in their fridges. Seems barley tea is very common. I'd never even heard of it before watching that video, but it sounded like something I might like because I love bread. Ordered some, it arrived today, drinking some now. Delicious. I almost added salt, but thought I should try it first by itself since I'd never had it before. Damn, it really satisfies that bread desire. Yummy.
I live barley tea.

It's especially good during the nasty, hot, humid summers here.

I drink it so readily though, it makes me piss like a racehorse.

GeekyDad

I live barley tea.

It's especially good during the nasty, hot, humid summers here.

I drink it so readily though, it makes me piss like a racehorse.
So, I gotta look that up, and it's funny you should say that because last night I had to get up three times to pee, in like two-hour intervals.

Jesus Christ, I thought I was getting old thinking about how proud I am now that I eat breakfast every day.

And “palate cleanser”? I barely brush my teeth to savor it all.

Top Bottom