• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer developers shadow dropping games or years of hype?

Do you prefer years of hype or shadow drop releases?

• years of hype

• shadow drop releases

Results are only viewable after voting.

Guilty_AI

Neither. Its fine to simply advertise your game without creating huge waves of hype.
"Hey, heres the project we're working on. Its about X. Cool right? If you're interest consider following us to keep you updated"

Impotaku

Hype poisons your expectations, it's a shit marketing tool used to get you to preorder. I prefer to hear about a game when it's nearly done & ready for release not announced then you wait 5 years for it to come out.

Fbh

I like games to be announced and released within 12 months.
When they show the game for the first time I want to see something that's actually representative of what the final release will be like and not some early pre alpha concept where half the stuff they show and talk about doesn't even make it into the final release.

Last edited:

MikeM

Shadow drop. Sick trailers with release dates in a month or less? Yes. Need more of that in my life.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Used to love hype when it was just E3 and magazines. These days I usually watch the first true trailer, then a gameplay trailer and that's it. I feel like if I would follow the whole circus I would know the entire game alrady when I finally get my hands on it.

I can only remain excitable for so long nowadays before I stop giving a shit. If I find out about a game and its already out in a short window I can't really reach that point.

Maybe 6 months max

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
6-12 months is good. Gives the marketing department enough time to build hype and gives you the player a chance to (re)play titles leading up to it. Dread is awesome, of course, but I know someone (fulltime job + kids) who just barely finished Fusion yesterday. Didn't quite have enough time to day 1 Dread.

Top Bottom