• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer Movies or TV Shows GAF?

Movies or TV Shows?

• Total voters

Kayoba

Prefer anime series which falls into TV-shows category.

If anime doesn't count then I prefer standalone Hollywood movies.

They require much less commitment. You watch a movie and it's done.

Not always. :messenger_tongue:

tenor.gif

Fortunate_Son

Neo Member
I am a movies man myself. Mostly because I usually will have the time to squeeze a movie in whenever I want to watch one in a day. Whereas for TV shows - I actually have to commit to them and I don't have the patience or time for that.

I prefer when I can enjoy the beginning, middle and ending of a movie and all within 2 hours or 150 mins.

For me to commit to a TV show - I either have to start with it, or not be very behind, it has to be VERY interesting or have a short season/episode count.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
90% of the time, TV Shows are way too long. In the age of binge watching they're dragged and stretched far beyond their breaking point and it's so rare that they ever stop where they need to. It's one of the reasons there's so much quality British TV from the past, it rarely outstays its welcome. You can watch the entirety of Spaced in 6 hours.

Every time someone recommends a show to me and I see that there's already 6 seasons with 13 50+ minute episodes per season, I'm immediately turned off. It's too much time for a passive hobby for me, when in that time I could watch 7 entire short movies, each of which has its own build up and pay off, rather than dragging that feeling out.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen plenty of long-form shows and many are incredible, but these days I have less and less interest in them. It takes something really special for me to want to continue investing that time. Twin Peaks S3 is one such example, and ironically, that's a show that greatly suffered in S2 from executives meddling and demanding the season be more than twice as long as it should have been.

Miniseries like Chernobyl are where it's at. In other hands that show would have been 3 seasons long and terrible. At 5h 20m it was fantastic.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I like some movies but I really prefer good TV shows. TBH I don't really like much of either nowadays and I usually watch classics and shows from the 90's.

Both, though most TV shows get bad because they keep going on, a common example is The Simpsons, but not the only one, The Office has debate whether it got bad after
Steve Carell (Michael Scott) left
. LOST and Seinfeld were disliked in their last seasons.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Prefer anime series which falls into TV-shows category.

If anime doesn't count then I prefer standalone Hollywood movies.

Not always. :messenger_tongue:

tenor.gif
You've got a point, there. Thankfully I'm not too in to the whole Superhero films, at least not enough to see them all. I've enjoyed things like Deadpool a ton, but the Avengers movies never got me racing to the cinemas. Infinity War was really good, though. Especially Josh Brolin as Thanos.
Me coming back to this thread to dunk on movies one more time:
200.gif

Kayoba

You've got a point, there. Thankfully I'm not too in to the whole Superhero films, at least not enough to see them all. I've enjoyed things like Deadpool a ton, but the Avengers movies never got me racing to the cinemas. Infinity War was really good, though. Especially Josh Brolin as Thanos.

I can relate, I'm not really into superhero franchises either. But I did like Nolans Batman trilogy and the recent Joker movie.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I can relate, I'm not really into superhero franchises either. But I did like Nolans Batman trilogy and the recent Joker movie.
Good shout. Nolan's Batman movies were dope. I did think Dark Knight Rises was the weakest one, but Tom Hardy was great as Bane. The Dark Knight set a hard bar to reach, just so many good performances. Also love how they included a Heat inspired heist scene. Might be one of my favourite movie openings ever.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
neither. i watch twitch and youtube
Aside from the occasional movie night, I have actually been moving in the same direction too. More YouTube than Twitch though. A lot of streamers don't appeal to me, and there is generally a lot of downtime and dull moments during a stream. Plus, the chat can be annoying at times. YouTube has so much good content for free. You can sink so many hours in to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudo

It greatly depends on the subject. TV shows work great for less focused stories or stories that you can't fit into your 2 hour movie, like Chernobyl or Marco Polo.
That being said, some movies don't give a shit about 2 hours and just take their time, like the TV edit of Das Boot (theater version: 150 minutes, TV edit: 308 minutes), the director's cut of John Woo's Red Cliff (280 minutes)
or Kingdom of Heaven in it's director's cut (189 minutes). The latter's original theater release (138 minutes) is basically unwatchable because they cut out essential plot stuff. That's probably my favorite approach, long-ass movies.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Movies, mainly because TV shows are such a time commitment nowadays when there’s so many.
Also, it’s all too common for TV shows to drag on just to ride the wave of success and/or change drastically halfway down the road. I realize it’s almost impossible to have the entire series planned out from the start, but I hate to commit to a series just to see everything I liked about it fall apart.

Time is my main concern, anyway. You can watch 10+ movies in the time it takes to watch a season of any TV show.

NahaNago

I generally like movies most. You get in to that world and you cut out hopefully a lot of the nonsense and straight to the point. Tv shows on the other hand are great for growing characters and getting to know them more. I think miniseries are the great compromise. You get everything all in one go but it isn't too short that you don't feel like it should have been longer and you should have a definite ending.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Movies, mainly because TV shows are such a time commitment nowadays when there’s so many.
Also, it’s all too common for TV shows to drag on just to ride the wave of success and/or change drastically halfway down the road. I realize it’s almost impossible to have the entire series planned out from the start, but I hate to commit to a series just to see everything I liked about it fall apart.

Time is my main concern, anyway. You can watch 10+ movies in the time it takes to watch a season of any TV show.
I used to not mind when I was younger, but now I can't justify putting so much time in to a show anymore. It has to be really good. Most shows just don't hit that bar for me, sadly. I don't think many shows that have come out of Netflix original library has made me feel that way. It's usually shows like Breaking Bad, Chernobyl and True Detective from other networks that have grabbed me.

The last show on Netflix I remember being super impressed by was When They See Us. It's no surprise that it was a mini-series to do that. Less chance of dragging it on too long.

adamosmaki

neither. Nowdays both suck imo. The only tv shows that i still watch is grand tour and south park and they dont make more then 2-3episodes a year and the last decent movie i saw was john wick

Why not both? Shows like GoT, The 100, The Americans, South Park, Walking Dead, etc all wouldn't be as good if they were just movies. I like the bigger stories they can tell, but it sometimes leads to shitty endings, repeating plots, things like that.

Movies are great for quicker entertainment a lot of the time, but I think some would be better as TV shows tbh.

Codes 208

I often find myself enjoying shows more. But I’m also the kind of guy who prefers to play games with a show (or YouTube) playing in the background as white noise. I don’t usually have the time, or interest, to invest in a 2-3hour film. What makes shows different is that I often just throw on a show I’ve watched before so that I can have it playing during the entire gaming session (with movies I often have to look for a movie and then look for another a couple hours later. It’s petty reason, I know.)

the last movie I watched was GvK (which was pretty good btw) but I haven’t watched a movie prior to that in months.

Last edited:

Rathalos

Banned
TV. For some reason I get bored half way through a movie but I can watch 10 episodes in a row of a TV show I'm into.

INC

TV, but not series, I prefer documentaries nowadays, most are like 6-7 episodes and its done.

Last tv series I enjoyed was hannibal, most tv series are woke shit anyway, its awful.

Films are generally shit, or been there done that, or superhero bullshit, or awful remakes. I cant even think of a single film coming out in the next few years that I'm excited for.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Movies. I like that quick hit with better production values. I like TV too, but there are obvious differences in quality 99% of the time.

TV shows often meander and waste time - good movies literally don't have time to waste.

So yeah, I prefer film.

The lower budgets and shorter production times in TV shows often result in issues as well, like bad effects or other glaring production mistakes like cameras visible in reflections, etc

TonyK

Movies.

Usually, TV shows are like 1.30h movies filled with unnecessary dialogs and cheap to produce scenes to make them long 8 chapters.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Movies by a long shot.

TV series always go through the same cycle. They start increbily well, then the makers/writes start to drag shit out to keep it going and everyone starts loosing interest, then the series is cancelled. Sometimes it gets a solid ending (like in Breaking Bad) but most of the time it doesn't.

What series need imo is a grand plan before they even start it or after season 1. Say, create a story for 3-4 more seasons, decide on an ending and then work towards that.

Top Bottom