• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you prefer Story driven games, or Mechanic driven games, why?

Story or Mechanic

• Story Driven

• Mechanic Driven

• Neither

• Both

Results are only viewable after voting.

sainraja

I don't mind a game having a simple plot. "Peach is kidnapped and Mario needs to save her" is more than enough for me.

Now if the developer really wants to push his story into my game, sure. Just don't do it using long cutscenes. Taking away control from me to show me a cut-scene is a guaranteed skip. And if i can't skip them, its game over.

Give me more games like Portal/2 where the story is told while you are in control. Or games like Metroid Prime where the story is there if you want to discover it yourself.

Just don't do cut-scenes, that's all. Especially unskippable ones.
We've had cutscenes in games, especially linear-based games, starting with the first Resident Evil game (and many others), so I will say again, they just got better in presentation, which is why we get dismissive statements from gamers now. Gameplay mixed with a good story utilizing cutscenes is perfectly fine; sure, there is a balance to it, but games that have them have their place. You can have games like Portal 2 AND games with a focus on story, narrative, and gameplay. You don't need to consolidate it all into one single game (or expect all developers to tell a story in the exact same way). That's just boring. I also wouldn't call using cutscenes or in-game interactions taking control away from YOU, that is just one of the ways they can use to tell or add to their game. It's okay to be an observer in a game sometimes. After all, and this is important, the main way we interact with games is via button presses and analog stick movement on a piece of plastic we call a controller. Ultimately, if you really don't like having cutscenes or any form of cutscene, you can simply avoid those games; there are others who like it.

What I mean, putting it in terms of ratings, is giving a game7.0 (or 8.5 on a good day) just for failing on the story front in spite of rating a 9 or 10 for gameplay alone, while rating another game a 9+ for a 9/10 story but having 7 on gameplay, tops. The latter may be more aesthetically pleasing, but doesn't pass the acid test as a game as well. (Play novels and other narrative focused genres are a little different though.)
I see... I guess that depends on what the reviewer of the game values. If they value story and gameplay together, that will show in how they do their review. When gameplay completely outshines the story elements, it will be reflected in the review, and in that scenario, it will even trump any story aspects in that game, but that kind of thing mostly happens with Nintendo games. If you are working on a linear game, you need a tight story to go along with it. Every game is different. Variety is good. We don't need to downplay games based on what the designers choose to focus on, if a game isn't giving you what you like, you go to a game that does give you that.

Last edited:

nkarafo

We've had cutscenes in games, especially linear-based games, starting with the first Resident Evil game (and many others), so I will say again, they just got better in presentation, which is why we get dismissive statements from gamers now. Gameplay mixed with a good story utilizing cutscenes is perfectly fine; sure, there is a balance to it, but games that have them have their place. You can have games like Portal 2 AND games with a focus on story, narrative, and gameplay. You don't need to consolidate it all into one single game (or expect all developers to tell a story in the exact same way). That's just boring.

It's just not my thing. I never liked cutscenes, even in the PS1/N64 generation. Never liked how games always try to be cinematic. It's especially bad when it's action cut-scenes. Dialogue/exposition ones, i get it. But when you see the whole action being played by itself instead of, you know, being a part of it, it's just cheap.

Not saying they shouldn't exist. But you do know there is no balance, the vast majority of games use the movie/cutscene style of storytelling. You say "they have their place" but what i see is they have all the place for themselves. I get it, games are mainstream now so this easy to consume, spoon feeding style is going to be the default thing. I'm just not a huge fan of it.

sainraja

It's just not my thing. I never liked cutscenes, even in the PS1/N64 generation. Never liked how games always try to be cinematic. It's especially bad when it's action cut-scenes. Dialogue/exposition ones, i get it. But when you see the whole action being played by itself instead of, you know, being a part of it, it's just cheap.

Not saying they shouldn't exist. But you do know there is no balance, the vast majority of games use the movie/cutscene style of storytelling. You say "they have their place" but what i see is they have all the place for themselves. I get it, games are mainstream now so this easy to consume, spoon feeding style is going to be the default thing. I'm just not a huge fan of it.
Fair enough, I suppose. I see what you are getting at, but personally, I don't have an issue with it. I am not a big fan of the dialogue chains that some games utilize, but I get why they use it, I would simply prefer if they had made that into a cutscene or something. If it is because of being choice based narrative thing, then they can do what RE3 (original) did and give you a choice of scenarios, but anyway. I see where you are coming from.

Last edited:

dezzy8

I'd take fun gameplay over story every time. As long as there is a basic plot or goal like with Mario. Bowser takes Peach and it's your job to save her. Thats all you really need. Dont need hour long cutscenes

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'd take fun gameplay over story every time. As long as there is a basic plot or goal like with Mario. Bowser takes Peach and it's your job to save her. Thats all you really need. Dont need hour long cutscenes
Have you ever played Hellblade? If not, dont.

Not only cut scene mania...... but also UNSKIPPABLE.

In the first hour, it's probably about 30-40 minutes cut scenes.

Last edited:

Crayon

Either. I'm more likely to play a game with a bad story and good gameplay but I've done the other way around many times.

Assuming story encompasses plot characters setting writing etc:

Nier:a is a good example. Great bosses, moves and control but everything else in the gameplay is borderline junk. Omg the dodge that cancels into itself like who gives a fuck lol. Anyway, beautiful story written for the unique format of a game. Story almost completely carries it.

Death Stranding is like the king of this. Makes you just walk in this depressing setting and think about shit. The gameplay is actually there in service of the story and for some people it was amazing.

What else.... Witcher 3. That game is ass without the good story, including one of the most universally appealing characters ever.

I heard rdr2 kinda plays like shit.

Anyway I always see people cracking on Sony games but I've found they have good gameplay. I've only played gow, horizon, days gone and spiderman.

The most basic would have been days gone but the enemies could behave pretty cool. Story was idgaf.

Spiderman was fucking fire. That is some braindead sruff but is was fun as fuck to punch buttons and swing around in the fights. It was like tony hawk, I swear. I was creative while fighting and that's really where the fun in part is. In this example I didn't like the story at all. Or rather I wasn't interested. All I remember is Mr negative is a funny name and they switched the kid's head for another ugly one in the remaster. Yeah I actually played the game twice, I thought it was that fun.

Horizon has sloppy gameplay but picking the parts off the dinosaurs and the crowd control make it way above average by western standards. Again don't care for the story. Play it for gameplay and graphics whoring.

And then the best for last god of war. The feel of straight brawling was great. Great control, good challenge and a returning axe has no business being that fun. In this case I can't say the gameplay carried it because the story was quite good. I've seen those marvel and star wars movies you hoover up so suck it.

kikkis

I was about to do new thread about this topic, because frankly I think I am done with story driven games where gameplay is dull or at least not to my liking. Games like Persona 5 or Baldurs gate 3. I am sorry, I just cant stomach the gameplay in terms of basically time wasted, just to get to the story/choices part.

Bond007

I dont need a story to enjoy a game.
But i do prefer and enjoy games where everything is merged and i get the full product of something special.

Metal Gear Solid 1 is my favorite game. For me it probably started there. Right now, that continues primarily on Sony consoles.

jonnyp

Both. Either one alone usually bores me to tears.

But if I had to choose one or the other, then it obviously is mechanics driven.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Mechanic mostly, although sometimes i play for some bit story or if it had cryptic lore and story, it would be better. But again, different case in case. I can enjoy both. But mostly i care for mechanic first. Its a game actually and i tend to avoid story heavy with small gameplay

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good story is the foundation of all fiction

The game can have great gameplay but feel fucking meaningless if there’s no point to it.

Great story makes great gameplay feel even better and more purposeful

Top Bottom