• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you remember your last day at a job, if so, how was it?

Mondai

My last day in the Army was pretty chill , I was working like normal in the office,. At around 11am , my squad leader comes in, he looks at me and says "Why the fuck are you still working, go home, you only have a week left, take care" and then I left and stayed home getting free money for a week lol.

kingfey

Banned
It was a good day for me.
I got fired from the job, and it showed me, that nothing is permanent.

I will need to hold the cards from now on. 2 times, I let myself down, by considering myself a part of the company.

nush

Depends on the circumstances. Redundancy is usually pisses me off that companies just cut lower level staff to save money leaving all the high level management still employed. Getting a better and higher paying job is great but a tinge of sadness if I liked my collegues that I'm leaving, but then I learned they'll quickly forget all about you and stop inviting you to non work social events pretty quickly. Job abandonment is empowering, I'm going to fuck you before you fuck me. Companies have no loyalty but they always expect it.

badblue

The anniversary of the last day of my last job is coming up. (April 10th)

I was working a shut down at a coal fire power plant on night shift and one of the guys on my crew brought us all the covid. Anytime I leave a job site and don't have to go back, it's a good day.

thefool

I sorta rage-quit after a bunch of bullshit. Felt awesome leaving the building, it had so much personal history. It was liberating.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Say bye to coworkers, hand in the laptop, shake some hands and get some hugs and leave at 2 pm max. But got to say some people are troopers and stick around to the end of the day.

Nothing crazy.

Last edited:

Aesius

When I quit my last in-house job to go freelance, people couldn't comprehend what I was doing or what my life was about to be like.

"So you don't have a job lined up?"

"No, but I have work lined up."

"Okay, but no job?"

"Not a JOB job, no."

"So you're just going to wake up on Monday morning and chill?"

"Well, I have work to do, but I can do it at my own pace. So yeah, I might just chill for a bit."

"That's crazy. That's CRAZY! I can't even imagine that!"

Pagusas

Elden Member
yes, I've had a few great jobs, and the last day at my favorite one was full of hugs, tears, gifts and long goodbyes. Was wonderful.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When I quit my last in-house job to go freelance, people couldn't comprehend what I was doing or what my life was about to be like.

"So you don't have a job lined up?"

"No, but I have work lined up."

"Okay, but no job?"

"Not a JOB job, no."

"So you're just going to wake up on Monday morning and chill?"

"Well, I have work to do, but I can do it at my own pace. So yeah, I might just chill for a bit."

"That's crazy. That's CRAZY! I can't even imagine that!"
I know people who simply quit their job because they hated it. A company memo comes out they are leaving in two weeks.

Give them a call assuming "Hey, which company you going to?". The answer "None. I'll find one later"

Got to say it's ballsy to quit a job with nothing lined up, or your situation which seems more attune to your own efforts than a steady job lined up. For me, I can never do that. I'll quit when I have something steady lined up.

Dural

It's been 3 years. I had worked at the company for 15 years, it had only been around for 20, was friends with the owners (husband and wife) and their kids. I knew every aspect of the company and everyone came to me if they needed anything. I gave them the option to match the offer from the new job, they wouldn't come close, so I had to leave. The last day was me teaching my co-workers how to do some things, I also handled everything IT related so created a document with all the info for that. I stayed the whole day, had lunch with several co-workers and a buddy that had left the previous year. At the end of the day I talked to the wife in her office for more than an hour, she had tears when I finally was leaving. I left on good terms, still go there weekly to help with IT related things. A little extra fun money and I get to see some friends that still work there.

Shifty

Sure. I got made redundant just short of the point where the company would have to pay statutory compensation, went through a hellish wrap-up month, and then the bosses threw a huge tantrum when I refused to quote them for contract work and be on call for a week of free tech support.

It taught me a valuable lesson in self-respect - no point wasting my skills on an industry that treats employees like ballast, so now I work for myself.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
That’s an open topic. I would focus on my first day now first days are more important, yes last days don’t require so much energy.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
A previous job, nearly 15 years ago, they got me many gifts and gave me money at a last day team lunch. I really felt appreciated as I got nearly a thousand dollars and got a big gift a HDD for my PS3.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
The day I was let go from my previous job was incredibly upsetting for me and everyone I worked with. It was obvious I was being fired for transitioning, and everyone knew it.

It turned out to be a huge blessing, though. I now work from home with a company that truly values their employees, no matter how different they may be. ❤️

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My last day in the Army was pretty chill , I was working like normal in the office,. At around 11am , my squad leader comes in, he looks at me and says "Why the fuck are you still working, go home, you only have a week left, take care" and then I left and stayed home getting free money for a week lol.
You robbed all of America for a week. Which is cheap compared to a politician.

Squarehard

half-baked-fuck-you.gif

*Nightwing

It turned out to be a huge blessing, though. I now work from home with a company that truly values their employees, no matter how different they may be. ❤️

I hope they realize the better they treat you the better they do and the blessings overflow both ways!

Funny seeing this thread… that day is today for me and it is glorious and I’m loving every minute of it blowing up bridges on my way out instead of burning them
lovely-day.gif

J6izWk6.gif

benno

Worked on large wings in a high security prison for 17 years. Last August I went to have a covid test and discovered I had throat cancer (I've got the all clear now) so went to hospital that day and not been back.
I'm still having effects from chemo and radiotherapy so can't go in to say goodbye to my old work mates due to jail still having lots of covid cases and my immunity being low, and I'm about to be medically retired so probably never will as I'll lose my security clearance.

Miss the job to be honest, I had a laugh, got on well with nearly everyone in there, cons n staff, had it's fun moments, as you can imagine.

Now I spend my days making funny noises on a modular synth and playing Eldon Ring.

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
1st big boy job and quit after about 7 years: Handed in a one sentence resignation letter like Richard Nixon. Told them there's nothing you can do to make me stay, and my boss is a colossal toxic bitch.

2nd job: Entire site was getting shut down but we all knew it was happening like 6 months ahead of time. So around Noon on the 'day' a meeting notice went out about the mass layoff, I picked up the phone and accepted the offer for my replacement job, then we went out to Islands and got shit faced. Came back to the office and it was like a party, lol. Food, drinks, free shit, doors wide open, nobody giving a shit, only thing you had to do is turn in your laptop but you were free to come and go. It was great.

3rd job: Waited exactly 2 years before searching for a new job since I fulfilled obligations from the relocation package, and when I accepted the new offer at the new company I immediately did the one sentence resignation thing at like 3PM on a Tuesday, then proceeded to the bar where we all got shitfaced.

Top Bottom