• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you see the next Nintendo being as successful as the Switch?

Deerock71

Switch hasn't even had a price cut yet (not counting the Euro adjustment). I'm going to go out on a limb and state it's going to be difficult for Nintendo to top the Switch on the immediate next go-round.

Are you kidding me!!? I playing more Switch games that I eve did with PS5, this year alone I got bunch of great games.
We have different tastes I guess, I think the output of games for the Switch is unbelievably bad specially considering how much it sold and the fact that now Nintendo can concentrate all their efforts into a single platform.

After Mario Odyssey and Zelda:BoTW there was pretty much nothing I cared about and too be honest Mario games aren't something I'm really into anymore.

Last edited:

Deerock71

We have different tastes I guess, I think the output of games for the Switch is unbelievably bad specially considering the success how much it sold.
Not liking Nintendo's first party output is one thing, but there's no doubt they churn out quality. The rest of it would lie directly in the laps of all those third parties still waiting to see how this Switch experiment works out; they're utter buffoons at this point, and I'm looking ESPECIALLY at EA and Actiblizz.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
We have different tastes I guess, I think the output of games for the Switch is unbelievably bad specially considering the success how much it sold and the fact that now Nintendo can concentrate all their efforts into a single platform.
For you maybe but majority of people like thier games, that’s why we buy and enjoy them.

I’m not fan of most Xbox games but I guess by your logic means their game is “unbelievably bad”.

Ulu7hOa.jpg

Not liking Nintendo's first party output is one thing, but there's no doubt they churn out quality. The rest of it would lie directly in the laps of all those third parties still waiting to see how this Switch experiment works out; they're utter buffoons at this point, and I'm looking ESPECIALLY at EA and Actiblizz.
I can only speak for myself I can't judge based on what other people think.

For you maybe but majority of people like thier games, that’s why we buy and enjoy them.

I’m not fan of most Xbox games but I guess by your logic means their game is “unbelievably bad”.
Yes? Why do you assume I'm speaking for everyone else when I give my opinion? If you like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, all these Mario games, good for you, I only care about Zelda at this point.

I tend to like Nintendo games the first time I play one of their IPs but aside from Mario and Zelda all the other ones are too formulaic and similar to previous entries to the point of becoming uninteresting. With Pokemon and Mario Kart being the worst offenders.

Last edited:
If its a more powerful switch and they call it switch 2, than yes, it will be successful. If Nintendo do a Nintendo and completely change the name, then who knows? Could be a total flop like the wii u or could succeed like the switch. I like that Nintendo are unpredictable when it comes to a new system.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nintendo will just stick with switch concept for the next few generations , and they will keep selling like hot cakes, as there is no competition in the handheld space.
put it this way.....we hope they just do that.

Many common sense moves have been ignored by Nintendo, never forget lol

I hope so, but honestly no. Nintendo is a company that is very self aware, and they always adjust their output based upon need. Each successful generation, they fuck off and cash in on the goodwill until sentiment turns bad and they have a failing product. Then they wake up and release hit after hit to win their audience back, until they feel like they don’t need to work hard again. We have seen this happen time after time, it’s very obvious how they are running the business.

V4skunk

Banned
Switch2 or what ever will sell like hotcakes and especially if it has backwards compatability with og Switch and it will.

Deerock71

I can only speak for myself I can't judge based on what other people think.
I'm not trying to divine what other people think, but are you trying to say with a straight face Nintendo does not pump out quality content while it's software and hardware sell bazillions without most quality 3rd party content afforded to the competition?
Han Solo Good Luck GIF by Star Wars

Robb

Gold Member
No, but I think it’ll still be very successful. Maybe around 70-100M sold.

I have no clue where the Switch will end up but that thing is a monster in terms of both sales and longevity. They’ll probably end 2022 at +120M sold and I imagine it’ll keep chugging along for quite a while even after its successor is out and they start to cut the price.

I think it’ll be very difficult for them to beat the Switch going forward, but who knows.

Dr Bass

I feel like they’ve found their hardware formula. And people obviously like that formula.

Just release a more powerful, better, iteration of the current idea when the time is right and focus on software, software, software.

Maintaining BC will be key. Don’t make people keep rebuying their same stuff. We live in a world where people buy 1000 dollar phones every year, and expect their software to work. There is no reason why people wouldn’t buy another 300 dollar machine every 4-7 years to get the next wave of games, assuming their current games carry over too.

It seems obvious to me. We’ll see what happens.

Chukhopops

I don’t think Nintendo would repeat the Wii U mistakes:

- launching without a big hitter;
- split pipeline between two devices.

The only thing they could fuck up is trying to be too bold when they don’t need to, they can just iterate on the Switch, make it run last gen ports at 1080p with DLSS for TV output and voila.

If they don’t fuck up and launch at least with a Pokémon or Zelda game they are good to go. Nintendo has basically secured another generation of kids with the Switch and they will follow the brand for a couple years.

tonyhh

Neo Member
Some of these posts are delusional. Nintendo fans hardly care about power and third-party support <- This is narrative non-nintendo fans use to shit on the system outselling their favorite console 5x. Nintendo fans buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. It's that simple. Having third-party games available is simply a nice bonus. Software sales show this plain as day.

All Nintendo has to do is release the Switch and have it launch a Mario, Zelda, Arms type game, Splatoon, Pokemon, Etc game year 1 and it's smooth selling just like the switch.

Edit: If they launch with Animal Crossing it's a fucking wrap btw.

Anyway, to answer the question, it depends on the launch titles and marketing of the console.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Some of these posts are delusional. Nintendo fans hardly care about power and third party support <- This is narrative non-nintendo fans use to shit on the system outseling their favorite system 5x. Nintendo fans by Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. It's that simply.

Having third-party games available is just a nice plus. Software sales show this plain as day.

All Nintendo has to do is release the Switch and have it launch a Mario, Zelda, Arms type game, Splatoon, Pokemon, Etc game year 1 and it's smooth selling just like the switch.

I like my 3rd party stuff. Playing the SHIT out of Star Wars: the Skywalker Saga right now on my OLED.

I just want a more powerful Switch from them. But knowing Nintendo, they're gonna try to "innovate" and will probably fuck it up :messenger_beaming:

tonyhh

Neo Member
I like my 3rd party stuff. Playing the SHIT out of Star Wars: the Skywalker Saga right now on my OLED.
When I say third-party I'm talking mainly about the big AAA western games. Nintendo pretty much has a stranglehold on the AA market.

Last edited:

FStubbs

Some of these posts are delusional. Nintendo fans hardly care about power and third-party support <- This is narrative non-nintendo fans use to shit on the system outselling their favorite console 5x. Nintendo fans buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. It's that simple. Having third-party games available is simply a nice bonus. Software sales show this plain as day.

Anyway, to answer the question, it depends on the launch titles and marketing of the console.
While the bold is true, the Wii U (and to a lesser extent, early 3DS) show that there aren't very many actual Nintendo fans. Nintendo needs third party support to get the big sales that they saw with the DS and Switch. They just don't need the huge AAA/AAAA games - games that wouldn't come to Nintendo even if they released a beast with a 3090ti in it.

Sorcerer

I think they have an absurb amount of goodwill and momentum going in. Zelda and the rest of the year is an excellent way to say goodbye to the current hardware while anticipating the new. I bet the next console is hard to buy off the shelf for a long time.
I bet they launch with a new Mainline Mario after these more minor Switch 1 end of the line releases to seal the deal that everybody want's the new console.

EDMIX

Sure, anything can happen and any company has room for improvement.

So long as they continue to keep it as a portable and remain competitive in the mobile space, I think they'll be ok.

1. Keep it portable. IDGAF how any of you feel regarding home consoles, they are out of that business in regards to a dedicated device, even myself as a huge lover of their home consoles, understands it makes more sense to just give us a fucking HDMI and let us play 100% of the titles they are putting out vs....some. Asking for a dedicated system isn't what some of you fully understand it will actually be. What happens when it fails? So I'd rather be with the larger install base for guaranteed support.

2. They need to solidify their online network for it to be trusted long term. They need some strong industry veterans on networking to get them caught up.

3. Speaking of trust, they need to double down on the legacy of nostalgia and simply offer more of those older titles they own as digital titles or even collections. Melee HD with online, a Kirby Collection with the whole series, console and handheld versions in 1 place etc.

4. Clearly they need to continue to keep up with current trends regarding the mobile space. I can't really predict what that will be, simply that they must keep up and be able to adapt.

I think the mobile space is literally more competitive then the home console market and Nintendo doing well there is a bigger deal then many really realize. In a age where fucking Call Of Duty has 600 million downloads for a phone game, Nintendo is actually holding its own and maybe going 100% all in made sense regarding portable, as HDMI connectivity at least doesn't leave some of us in the dark the love playing on a tv.

Keeping everyone on 1 device is a must for them to remain in this spot on the mobile front.

Noxxera

You can think however much you want but the fact remains Nintendo is Nintendo and have a loyal base. And good IPs. Personally I wont bother thinking about what Nintendo's next console will be about, it can be whatever. I mean did anyone anticipate Wii U after the Wii? And the Switch? Nintendo isn't going anywhere and I don't think they're gonna have it tough unless they shoot themselves in the foot again as was the case with Wii U.

tr1p1ex

It definitely isn't automatic Switch 2 does better.

Depends on what it is. Depends on the price. Depends on the games.

They have to overcome been there, done that for the general public to buy in. And Switch got a pandemic boost. That won't be there this time around. And given Switch is approaching best sales in history, I would say the odds are a lot more than zero that sales (of Switch 2) are lower in comparison.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
GameCube L, Wii made a boat load of money, Wii U was the pot belly looking guy at the beach, Switch is decided as a success. Nintendo should avoid their console launch history.

They are going to struggle, but with good software they have a good chance to hit 70-80 million lifetime sales, especially as Nintendo will no doubt make it another underpowered console.

Banned
GameCube L, Wii made a boat load of money, Wii U was the pot belly looking guy at the beach, Switch is decided as a success. Nintendo should avoid their console launch history.

the N64 wasn't a huge success either, and the NES and SNES were both successful.
on top of that all their handhelds sold pretty well.

so the already spotty pattern is hard to apply here.

if they just make a Switch 2 that's better at everything, they'll be finest

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Many common sense moves have been ignored by Nintendo, never forget lol
i mean yeah, but also not really lol.

I mean, the 'common sense' move for the Wii's successor would've been to make a Wii 2, but it wouldn't have worked out as software sales on the platform were not good, and people stopped buying the console as much after a while. So the Wii U wasn't that bad of an idea...

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Yes. It will be highly successful, just like their 3DS series. Just continue on with the same convention, more power, and same IPs.
That'd be about the only approach. Last thing they'd want to do is create another gen with a standalone console and separate handheld to follow up. Switch sort of accomplish something they'd been doing as a console & portable method all the way back to 4th gen. If it resembles Switch with better hardware, battery life and the IPs...well that's a big one. For goodness sake, don't let them call it the Switch 2 though and no 'motes.' I have this hunch though that they're not done with something that 'folds.' So, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up having a dual screen folding console regardless :/

Rayderism

Probably. Nintendo fans tend to be incredibly loyal. If whatever comes next is fully BC with the current Switch, and they fix the stick drift issues, then it would be pretty much guaranteed to meet or exceed the current Switch sales.

As long as they don't do another Wii U botch the next console should do well. It doesn't need to be as successful as Switch for it to be a huge success.

AJUMP23

I think it will do well, but not switch well. Especially if it is just iterative. I just want a more powerful switch. Nintendo normally has a gimmick and I want to see if they do that.

I think with the Switch, Nintendo’s got everything dialed in on exactly what people want in their games. Every new franchise installment on Switch sells 3-10x what it did on Wii/3DS, or before. So their approach is just continue going down the path that they started with Switch. Making these big, blockbuster must-haves that people want. And as much third-party support as possible.

If they offer compelling software like they have with Switch, Super Switch or whatever it’s called will be fine. Might not do 125+ million, but not hard to see it doing 90+ million.

Last edited:

Interfectum

It will be as successful if not more. You forget that Switch was basically a Nintendo reboot / Wii U port machine.

Just wait until Mario Kart 9, Dragon Quest 12, etc come out for this thing. It's going to be massive.

Nintendo consoles are the new Microsoft Windows; A good release, a shite release, a good release...
I think this time is much harder to screw it. Switch is still in a perfect position among handhelds and provides 'full' titles on the go. So concept itself is still very relevant and Nintendo won't change that. They change drastically if Switch flopped but it's not. I expect something like Super Nes - basically improved Switch. It needs to be basically 1.5-2x Switch in terms of power/ram and it's not that hard to do. Also I don't need ray-tracing or 4K in my handheld. Hopefully it will be like PS3 to PS4 transition which was very nice.

Hudo

I mean, if Sony can make bank with the PS5 so can Nintendo with "just" a more powerful Switch.

Sethbacca

Nintendo need to stop putting all their R&D into new controllers every generation and just iterate instead of innovating for once. Half their innovation is dropped a month into their console cycle and never seen again anyway. Do away with the unnecessary costly shit and put the dollars into better hardware.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
If the hardware is BC and pulls a bit of an "uprez" ,like the Xbox BC titles benefit from, the console will be a massive success.

If the hardware is BC....the console will be a massive success.

If the hardware is not BC (or only BC with digital software)...well...that would just be stupid....BUT....I am a bit worried with the comment someone at NOJ made a few weeks ago saying something along the lines of [paraphrasing here] "we want to make migration to a new console as easy as possible and will utilize Nintendo Switch Online to make this is an easy process".

This would be just your save game data which is stored in the cloud which is also stored on your console. Not to mention the current transfer process uses two Switch consoles to share data wirelessly, seems like it should work the same way UNLESS there needs to be some sort of format conversion which they are keeping in house.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I don't know

I wish it was, since the potential of a brand new, more powerful Switch that builds on what made the original work with Nintendo's quality of first party and actual third party support,would be a beast of a portable gaming device

But,the Market acts in mysterious ways,there are always changes,new trends,mistakes,plenty of things happening outside their control

We will see

Last edited:

MAtgS

Don't think so.

It will be an iteration on Switch.

All casuals will be like, wtf, we have to buy another hardware for $299?

It will be a repeat of wiiU. Nobody will understand why they have to buy a new system for 299 when their current system works fine.

Sadly it's the Nintendo market and Nintendo knows this. They need to innovate to bring in casuals back.
PS4 and PS5 are iterative and that sure as hell didn't slow them damn. Just call it Switch 2, give it PS4 graphics and DLSS and they're golden.

AndrewRyan

I predict it achieves roughly 80% of the Switch's success. Still terrific sales but a decline due to the following:

1. They had no competition when the Switch launched. Now there are many great options.

2. People like me started building up 3rd party libraries on Switch since it was the only real mobile option for a while. Now because of all the options, Switch is relegated to 1st party titles only, so games sales and the urgency to buy one are diminished.

3. Due to Nintendo's 'withered technology' strategy their system will be underpowered compared to the competition out-of-the gate. Whatever gimmick they have up their sleeve has got to be great.

They have to overcome been there, done that for the general public to buy in. And Switch got a pandemic boost. That won't be there this time around. And given Switch is approaching best sales in history, I would say the odds are a lot more than zero that sales (of Switch 2) are lower in comparison.

Top Bottom