• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you Switch it up?

How do you Switch

• Fuck a dock

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • Depends on the game/situation .. I’m 50/50

Votes: 50 38.8%
  • Dock life. 720p ain’t so bad

Votes: 31 24.0%
  • 4K on PC

Votes: 21 16.3%

• Total voters

Owari

There have been many debates, but what is the proper way to Switch?
For me, it depends on the game. Sometimes I’ll play undocked if someone’s using the TV, but things like the Genki shadowcast make it great on my PC.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Come on OP, where's the Wii U option? :)

No joke, I was playing RE4 Wii in bed last night, Wiimote and all. Shit was comfy on that 480p screen and gorgeous to look at.

That being said, I own a Switch, well technically my Wife does, it was a bday gift to her. For whatever reason I just don't care to buy games for it. The Wife only ever plays it in handheld mode. Conversely, our friends who have a Switch only play it in docked mode.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I started out 50/50. Back when I first got my Switch.

Now I use it Docked only.

i started handheld exclusively, but once my joycons broke i moved to dock exclusively, and with d2r i just bought a new pair of joycons, so im now doing hybrid

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
In our house, it's:

docked, for all local multiplayer / co-op, or for times when my son wants me to watch him across the room and interject tips, help him get unstuck in Zelda, etc

undocked, for everything else, anytime playing strictly alone

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I play combination of both, games like Astral Chin, Monster Hunter and Bayonetta I rather play docked with Pro controler, but games like SMT5 other RPGs I play both handle and docked.

poodaddy

I keep thinking about trying Switch emulation, is it easy to set up and get started these days? Work well enough? I have a gigantic Switch library, so if it's easy to set up then I've got more than enough games to test on it if it's a much better experience. Is the emulator super heavy? I'm running an RTX 2080, 2 tb NVME SSD, i7 9760 k I believe for CPU, and 32 gb of DDR4. Would I be ok?

Last edited:

Isa

I play almost exclusively docked. My gf and I aren't huge graphics ho's, we go oldschool easily, but also appreciate quality textures, lighting and resolutions as well. We went from Super Mario Party on Switch and when our game ended we went to Dark Pictures Anthology on Series X. As long as we're having fun that's all that matters. The only time I ever used my Switch in handheld was during vacation. Could be because I'm getting older, but holding onto handhelds is slightly painful and a big turnoff for me. I do appreciate it though.

Fbh

Probably like 60% Docked 40% hand held.

Docked is better but sometimes it's nice to play in bed or on the terrace, or maybe someone else is using the big TV.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Since I got the OLED it's basically 100 % handheld. Games looks so good on that screen. Before it was like 70/30 in favor of handheld so I thought why not just go all out. I have a PS5 and a 4K screen if I want the docked experience.

lachesis

Mostly docked but I haven't played grind-heavy games on it yet. Probably will do handheld for those types of games.

NewYork214

70% no dock for me. Until my Joycons got the drift and are useless now. So 100% dock cause I refuse to give nintendo the money for new ones

Edit: more like 90% before joycondrift. Only time I use to play dock was for multiplayer

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Boxed up in storage :messenger_smirking:

In all seriousness though, I primarily play docked as I'm just not a fan of the sticks on the Joycons. Although I will make exceptions for certain genres, namely visual novels

Last edited:

Maestr0

Dock + Marseille Mclassic to smooth the edge, and portable when I'm not at home, best of the 2 worlds

GametimeUK

I would 100% be all in on PC, but my launch Switch died. No game dumping for me. :'(

I play docked most of the time, but I play sat away from my 27 inch monitor instead of my 55 inch OLED. Handheld mode on my bus to and from work and also whilst I'm chilling in bed.

Danknugz

4k pc is a legit optio in switch? i thought that was a joke and i voted that. i literally have 2 launch switches on firmware 1.0 never played, hope to get around to it

Last edited:

Jennings

I can't play handheld because of vision and wrist issues, but pro controller + T.V. is great. Dock for life.

Reactions: TLZ

kunonabi

I hate putting in/taking out the Switch and it's such a poor design for a handheld that I don't ever plan on using it undocked. Hell, it feels so awful unhooking the joycons that I'm thinking of getting a charger for them so I never even need to touch the thing.

TLZ

Banned
70% no dock for me. Until my Joycons got the drift and are useless now. So 100% dock cause I refuse to give nintendo the money for new ones

Edit: more like 90% before joycondrift. Only time I use to play dock was for multiplayer
It's an easy fix if you like to try.

NewYork214

Easy peasy.

Guide.

Maybe I'm just lazy (most likely), but that does not look easy at all. Lol. Tried recalibration so has to be hardware related. Plus I don't have the tools. Thank you though. Appreciate the help.

oEfpvGc.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
Maybe I'm just lazy (most likely), but that does not look easy at all. Lol. Tried recalibration so has to be hardware related. Plus I don't have the tools. Thank you though. Appreciate the help.

oEfpvGc.jpg
Heh, the only thing you probably don't have is the tri-point screwdriver, which you can probably have shipped for a buck ;) I'd do it on mine without hesitation, but I do love tinkering and taking stuff apart and get a huge kick out of it when I manage to fix what I'm trying to fix :)

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Handheld, unless the game is really good and I need to keep playing even after the batteries have run out.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Switch is 100% docked at home. Undocked when I travel but I have a Genki covert dock that I use in hotels.

Roufianos

I've never docked mine unless it was for group multiplayer.

I'd rather see my Switch as a decently powerful handheld than a shitty, outdated console.

Holammer

4k pc is a legit optio in switch? i thought that was a joke and i voted that. i literally have 2 launch switches on firmware 1.0 never played, hope to get around to it
Yes, that option coquettishly suggests playing with an emulator. Switch emulators are very mature now and they basically run everything you throw at 'em.
Dread runs at 120-180fps for me with an aging CPU.

BlackTron

I play about 80% docked, 20% portable. It's by situation. I love how Switch lets me take my game off the TV and fill in gaps away from home, and I can pick back up instantly on TV again. If I'm with friends or family and they are using the TV, I can idle away at Zelda, Castlevania or Metroid by myself until someone asks me to dock it for Mario Kart/Party/Smash.

Handheld play is only about 5% of my total play time I'd guess. When you add in other platforms on TV like PS4 or older game systems, and PC which gets a lot of mileage on FPS/RTS games.

Owari

I keep thinking about trying Switch emulation, is it easy to set up and get started these days? Work well enough? I have a gigantic Switch library, so if it's easy to set up then I've got more than enough games to test on it if it's a much better experience. Is the emulator super heavy? I'm running an RTX 2080, 2 tb NVME SSD, i7 9760 k I believe for CPU, and 32 gb of DDR4. Would I be ok?
Yep. That would be enough. Not all games work, a lot do. Just need a Switch with CFW to backup your carts.

NinjaBoiX

Switch Lite for the win. Only way to have a decent picture considering the hardware.
Oivo grip. Changes everything.

61f1vhcWdPL._AC_SX355_.jpg
This guy knows what’s up.

Switch Lite feels like the most natural iteration, the OG and the OLED feel like a compromise to squeeze in this “switch” concept. I had an OG, I docked it like twice…

It’s a handheld first and foremost, the cumbersome form factor of the original was improved massively with the Lite. But even that is improved greatly with a grip.

Switch Lite for the win. Only way to have a decent picture considering the hardware.
KI384jL.jpg

The Oled looks great. Admittedly I only have Dread, Smash, and MK8. None of those dip below 720p in handheld which likely contributes to that. I don’t plan on buying any games that use VRS on Handheld anyways though.

I still play docked 80% games of the time though. Much prefer a real controller.

Last edited:
Top Bottom