• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You take vacation from work to play new games?

Work leave/vacation to play video games:

• Yes, often

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Yes, only for personal hyped games

Votes: 96 41.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 107 45.9%
  • I work from home/spend time in home - I play whole day anyway

Votes: 24 10.3%

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I happen to do this about once or twice a year depending on my hype levels.
Last year I did that for ps5 delivery and for Resident Evil. Just a day off each if I remember right. More days for Death Stranding and Sekiro before that and so on.
Sometimes, when I am annoyed or tired, I will take more time off. Like a week. Just to play video games. I will try to target in some new game release even if I am not super hyped about. But that doesn't count since I would take a vacation in that time anyway just to rest.

Of course Horizon is coming out on 18th and Elden Ring on 25th... 2 weeks off... it's tempting. Or at least a week for Elden Ring...

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Season 4 No GIF

GeekyDad

Vacations? What it is that? My time off is spent doing shit my wife, kids, doctors or other fuckers want/need me to do.

Vacations...
im laughing so hard GIF

Nah, I squeeze my game time in before and after work, typically. And it's probably the main reason I still mostly game on my handhelds. They can come with me to the dumper. But I think it does sound like a nice way to spend a vacation.

Of course Horizon is coming out on 18th and Elden Ring on 25th... 2 weeks off... it's tempting. Or at least a week for Elden Ring...
I wouldnt take off work just to play video games. But I have skipped school back in the day for games like Halo and GTA.

I’ve seen constant threads about how packed the games are for this month but what I don’t get is the mad dash mindset of wanting to pick up and play these games all at once…..

Take your time and enjoy each game. When one is done pick up the other.

nush

Gold Member
I have called in sick from work to play a game, that way I get sick pay while I play. I wouldn't waste actual vacation time just for a game.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wouldnt take off work just to play video games. But I have skipped school back in the day for games like Halo and GTA.

I’ve seen constant threads about how packed the games are for this month but what I don’t get is the mad dash mindset of wanting to pick up and play these games all at once…..

Take your time and enjoy each game. When one is done pick up the other.
Week is plenty enough to finish one game. Even just playing after work.
I don't even see February as packed as everyone seem to indicate

EDMIX

I own a few small business so......sometimes lol

Only time i couldn't really do that was when I was finishing up last semester of school as its not like I can just wait on doing classes or a final or a project or something, but business wise, I can turn off stores, stop taking orders for 1 or 2 weeks or something. It depends on what you do imho.

Now when I used to work for humans, horrid lol I used to do that shit all the time. I recall I did it a lot late PS3, early PS4 gen as I was still working at Home Depot (left fall 2014) so The Last Of Us 1 and GTA V I took time off for in 2013, I also recall taking time off for the PS4 launch in general as....fuck em

Mr Hyde

No, never. Although I'm tempted to do it for Elden Ring. But it releases on a Friday, and I don't work on Fridays anyway so I got the whole weekend to play it. I'm also wary with my economy and vacation days and would feel pretty bad wasting days just to play video games. I've got enough free time as it is to play.

TheAssist

Usually there is one game a year I take a week of for. Just living the teenage life again of getting up, eating and playing. Usually I take 2 weeks, the first I use for getting away from the daily life. Hiking, biking or what not and then I come back to stay secluded for a week with me and 1 or 2 games. I catch up on movies or TV shows while I am at it.

Graciaus

I took one of mine to play Elden Ring.

I usually just randomly pick them throughout the year so might as well get a lot of enjoyment out of one.

I rarely do this but took a week off for Elden Ring because that game seems massive and trying to rush through it is not a good idea. I loved the closed network test. Also by some sheer luck I'm on holiday for Ghostwire Tokyo, wasn't intending to do so but got lucky. And uh..... I'm taking an extended weekend for Warhammer 3's release.

GymWolf

My role is too important to miss a day work for such a reason unfortunately.

But many games comes out on friday and i usually have the free weekend so i don't really need to.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
In my youth when i was single for sure. Nowadays just for some games to get rid of some overtime from work.

I used to take time off for big releases. One that burned me outrageously was a week off for mcc. As we all know that launch was basically unplayable.

I can’t see myself ever doing it again though, bit older now and game launches excite me a lot less.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Not usually, but I took the 25th to be able to play Elden Ring like a mad man. I do WFH anyways, but I want to make sure nothing disturbes me that day.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Try finishing a game playing 1-2hrs max per day in the evening. I would love to, I love Control for the fact it is 8-12 hours experience but everything else on the market nowadays is bloated.
Yeah I can see that.
I don't have kids. Dishwasher is doing dishes, roomba is cleaning the flat... so I have straight rest of the day for gaming. That's like 8 hours if I want to.
Of course I usually spend it on youtube, twitch or with wife watching a movie or something

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Yeah I can see that.
I don't have kids. Dishwasher is doing dishes, roomba is cleaning the flat... so I have straight rest of the day for gaming. That's like 8 hours if I want to.
Of course I usually spend it on youtube, twitch or with wife watching a movie or something
I cannot survive without a dishwasher, sorry mom and dad. The sink in the kitchen gets used to store dishes till the dishwasher finishes the previous batch. Also washer + dryer separately, because F that.

Bartski

Gold Member
Yes, got 2 WEEKS FOR ELDEN RING!

I usually do take some time off pretty much for every game I'm top hyped for. This time it worked out once again but having a life and a job comes first. Looks like I am not playing Horizon Forbidden West on launch. Breaks my heart but I have to cope.

Lupin25

…I can hardly sit for more than a few hours (2-4) playing games before feeling like shit.

Duty calls (as an adult) unfortunately.

Wish I could tho…

Sybrix

I remember bunking school with my brother to go and buy The Godfather on PS2 XD

Good times.

I think now, i'd do it for GTA VI, not many others i would.

Shubh_C63

I think I am kinda workaholic. My brain just can't relax on weekdays even if I am on leave, unless I am away from my place.

So no never. Gotta earn those Saturdays.

Yes for hyped games but that's because I dont live in America and get a decent amount of holidays. There's no way I can afford 7 weeks worth of visiting countries so I'll use a few days here and there for personal relaxation days

Last edited:

Just_one

No.

Thankfully my wife doesnt mind giving me the TV after dinner to play. She uses the tablet to see tv.

Sometimes i usually feel pretty bad for overcrowding the tv to be honest, so i just play Pokemon Go on my phone even though she tells me to go to play

Last edited:
Top Bottom