• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You take vacation from work to play new games?

Work leave/vacation to play video games:

• Yes, often

Votes: 6 2.6%
  • Yes, only for personal hyped games

Votes: 96 41.2%
  • No, never

Votes: 107 45.9%
  • I work from home/spend time in home - I play whole day anyway

Votes: 24 10.3%

• Total voters

Markio128

I’d only ever book a day here, a day there, if there was a big release. I’d have probably booked a day off for GT7, but I’ve used all my holidays until April
Frustrated George Costanza GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Only for particular games. I work a lot and sometimes I work late. I have also dedicated my life to my family, so I enjoy the occasional day off to play. It’s not like I leave anything unattended and things have been planned well in advance.

Otherwise I play once all my house work is done and I’ll play on the weekends. I get game time in, but I do love the extra time. I think it would suck to marry someone who made fun of me for liking something. I’d rather stay single if that’s all I could get.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Sometimes, but depends on when he game is coming out. For example I'll be taking time off for Elden Ring, but not the day of. I'll be getting the game close to when I get off work anyways and will instead take off the following Monday.

I've never taken multiple days of in a row for a game other than Friday + Monday.

Bombolone

Gold Member
I dont and never have.
I do look forward to my days off though.
Especially when I have a game I want to play.
I got Sekiro last week and have barely touched it.
Im on a 6 day work week, pulling 4 doubles.
Sunday is gonna be a blast.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not until I can find a retarded enough boss that pay me to stay home playing games...
What does it matter what you do? It’s your days off. You don’t have to explain yourself. I am telling my boss I will play video games just to agitate him. This does not mean I get less priority than those who go to travel vacations

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No. I actually enjoy delayed gratification, so I don't mind waiting until I'm done with work.

But also I don't remember the last time I was that hyped for a game. Maybe BotW.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
What does it matter what you do? It’s your days off. You don’t have to explain yourself. I am telling my boss I will play video games just to agitate him. This does not mean I get less priority than those who go to travel vacations
Do you mean if I could "burn" my 30 vacation days that I have by right whatever days of the year I want? If yes, that I could do, but never did...

fart town usa

Gold Member
Only for RE titles, I feel like they usually release on a thursday so I take friday off. I usually play a few hours the first night but then marathon the rest the 2nd second night and end up staying up till like 4am.

Wife came downstairs at like 4am to take a piss when Village released, "you're still up?"

me:
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

Arthimura

No, I prefer to fit my gaming sessions in my routine.

However, when the PS5 was released I had some energy drinks to play long sessions starting at friday night and ending at sunday. I also did this for Final Fantasy VII Remake and The Last of Us part II.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
No, I've never taken time off work to play videogames. No judgement on others, but I think that's a nerd line I'm just not willing to cross.
DUDE.

It's the best. Especially for games that you know are only gonna be like 10-15 hours long.

Get some snacks and drinks, get comfy and just marathon that shit. So much fun. Only happens like every 3 years for me but to me it's all about creating a memory and being able to just commit to being immersed in the game without being distracted by other things.

With me just working weekends at the hospital (Friday/Sat/Sunday) I just request those three days off and I practically get two weeks off. Will be off from the 21st until the 3rd of March this year for Horizon and Elden and then taking a leave from work in July for our second child for about three months.

Getting my right foot ready to rock her to sleep while I play games.

Fun times.

Malachai

I have a 4 days/nights on 4 days off work pattern so if I book 8 days holiday I have 20 days off. Currently have 12th Feb to 4th March booked off to dedicate to Horizon and Elden Ring. I'm sure the Mrs will have other ideas though 😄

TexMex

I used to all the time when physical midnight launches were so common. Way less these days. And yeah, work from home sooooo

soulbait

When I was younger and working in retail, I would request my schedule to have a day off for when a game or console came out, but never used PTO.

I would much rather spend my PTO traveling and doing some sort of experience. The game will always be there.

Besides, many games are a buggy mess these days when they are released. You are taking a gamble with your PTO time.

DJ12

I used to take a couple of days off (sickies usually) around the release of gran tourism games in my youth, but not these days.

Pagusas

Elden Member
for big tent pole releases that can be beat in like 40 hours, yes. for games like Elder Scrolls that are tent poles but super long, no, I realize those games are slow burns and don’t like forcing myself into a set amount of time for them. I *may* take some time off for GT7 though. have a lot of rollover PTO to use

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am surprised how many of you are broken corporate dead people who can’t get a day off for a game or think it’s childish :p
But I also know the vacation law is terrible in us and it might not be worth it

Lunarorbit

Haha, I took off from April to December in 2020 cause my job was being sketchy about covid protocols and safety. Played the shit out of ghost of tsushima and tlou2. Really good summer games.

In the past I took time off to play ME2 when it came to ps3. I think just a Friday. When skyrim came out I was between jobs but I definitely would have called in sick. I was mesmerized by the winter landscape. Ended up buying after a week renting it from redbox.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I worked in fast food back when Dead Space came out (around 2008) and every time I asked for a day off, my boss would sarcastically ask me which game came out. It would have been cool had he been interested, but he always came off like a jackass whenever he did it. I don’t get it. Some people in management have issues with video games. Even if it’s not disrupting their own set of circumstances. I see it now even when I’m not even the person bringing up the subject of video games.

Bartski

Gold Member
I worked in fast food back when Dead Space came out (around 2008) and every time I asked for a day off, my boss would sarcastically ask me which game came out. It would have been cool had he been interested, but he always came off like a jackass whenever he did it. I don’t get it. Some people in management have issues with video games. Even if it’s not disrupting their own set of circumstances. I see it now even when I’m not even the person bringing up the subject of video games.
is that even legal in the US? You don't have to justify getting time off by disclosing what is that you plan on doing when booked in advance. I think it's against basic rules of conduct in any bigger company.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
is that even legal in the US? You don't have to justify getting time off by disclosing what is that you plan on doing when booked in advance. I think it's against basic rules of conduct in any bigger company.
In fast food or any job that’s below an office job, no one seems to care about the details. I live in an “at-will” state, so an employer can terminate you without proper cause.

Darchaos

Not only do i take days of i also call in sick a couple of time every year, even though im not sick! Sick, i know!

But i dont only play videogames during that time, i do stuff i find fun.

Pack the tent and go away fishing for a couple of days, chilling on the beach if its summer, sit down in the car and just pick a direction and go for a couple of hours, and stay a night or 3 wherever we ends up etc etc.

I will never ever dedicate my life to my work or dont enjoy life every single hour im not at work.

DavidGzz

I can play at work but I still took 4 days for Elden Ring because I want to focus on it more....plus you can't pause these fucking games even when offline. Ugh

Van Helsing

Neo Member
No, but I just so happen to have time off that starts the day Horizon: Forbidden West comes out and ends the Monday after Elden Ring comes out. Didn't plan it that way, put in for the time well before either release date was finalized.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I work from home and choose my own workhours/schedule. I don't have a family, besides my teenage daughter poppin in from time to time, so there's quite a lot time for gaming. I do focus on other stuff tho' and rarily go down the rabbit hole for more than 3-4 hours a day.

Top Bottom