• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Consoles should only have Discless SKU's since Blu-ray is pointless anyway?

Do you think Consoles should only have Discless SKU's since Blu-ray is pointless anyway?

• Consoles should remove Pro-Disc SKU's, switch out discs for those who want physical to SD/USB/Cards

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • Consoles should continue to increase in price and offer less quality by keeping the Disc-drives.

Votes: 59 81.9%
  • This option for PC users. Poll is only for console gamers, but we know you want to click something

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Both the Xbox Series' and PS5's are making half-steps to a Blu-ray free future with two digital only SKU's, but now that gaming consoles are using such compromised and degraded parts to "use" Blu-ray discs, the Discs are now MORE pointless than they were last gen this gen. Effectively at this point Blu-ray discs on current consoles are only used for verification activation, they don't even have the same interaction the Xbox one and PS4 had with the disc itself, and the actual drives themselves were made with such incompetence and minimal effort you can easily find Digital games and video that surpass the BR players in these new machines.

As a matter of fact, it is objective that you can buy sub $100 dedicated Blu-ray devices and receive better video, 2013 is long gone we are now in 2021 let us be honest, the only reason why we have Pro-Disc SKU's is to give fake appeal to people who say they "love physical" because they have been brainwashed through media and technological corporate propaganda that "discs" are the only option for "physical" to scam them for cash, and these same users have been made to buy into the hallucination and abject rejection of reality, that they "own" their games. Something that has been proven untrue around 10 years ago or more.

There is nothing stopping people from putting USB's, SD's, or digital cards inside a box, maybe add a few pages of colorful art and details in a short manual, and then calling it physical. There is no valid reason to include a low-grade disc drive and associated chips to take "advantage" of such drives, which they don't take advantage of in actuality.

As a consequence of continuing this irrational action, we have seen the end of the $99 console, and as this new gen starts the end of the $199 console because the inflated costs have made it impossible to drop the price down while sustaining a sustainable margin needed to keep running in this industry. It is also true that continuing to use the drives technology themselves has potentially possible health hazards to the user. The disc drives drive the price up of consoles to the point we are looking at $500 as the new normal instead of being a preposterous suggestion just 7 years ago.

If we want to see $99 consoles appear again, to see companies not need to spend as much to produce and distribute consoles, which may allow new competitors after nearly 20 years to (seriously) actually enter the industry and foster competition, and remove this nonsensical theory that gamers own their games, we need to remove disc drives and go all digital and replace discs with one of the three alternate solutions I mentioned. There is no other option short of switching physical media from disc drives to taking USB and SD's, which don't require expensive additional hardware.

As of now with the Xbox Series' systems and the Playstation 5's systems, there is NO advantage or benefit to having a Blu-ray drive on a console over a traditional Blu-ray for movies, and with digital cards, USB, or SD solution being considered there is NO advantage of continuing to use a Blu-Ray drive for games. The BR association was a failure that never materialized and it was a bogus scam project in the first place, as they rob you from the sluts of their brows. Whether with BR or the new ooohhhh UHD BR, doesn't matter the issues above are still accurate regardless of which of the two we are discussing.

So I open a vote to see where people stand on this issue due to the above facts. I'm interested in seeing if the opinions on this board have changed since 2013.

Akuji

You don’t get why people want drives and hate them because you think the little world in your head has anything to do with the real world.

none of the people I know considered the discless version for even a second. Everyone of those have unlimited 400mbit/s or more.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

FeldMonster

"It is also true that continuing to use the drives technology themselves has potentially possible health hazards to the user."

How is Blu Ray a health hazard?
Are you an anti-vaxxer or a flat earthen, OP?

Having a UHD Blu Ray in my Series X (and my One X btw) has saved me a significant amount of money from having to purchase a dedicated player, and saves me one fewer HDMI slot on my TV. So no, I do not agree that there is no advantage. It has significant advantages for ME.

Could you argue that it isn't quite as good at playing UHD Blu Rays as a dedicated $499 player? Sure, there is evidence out there for that. Is it 95+% as good? Most definitely. But it plays Xbox Series games, Xbox One games, and is a fantastic streaming device on top of playing UHD disks. My only "complaint" is that it can't replace my Cable Box [not a serious complaint, but that would truly make it my singular entertainment device]. And everything I said basically applies for PS5/PS4, so OP, I strongly disagree with you.

If there was a replacement for discs such as cards Switch style then I'd be way down for it. PS and Xbox only use the discs for install anyway so it's not making a huge different whether its a disk or a card.

Cards are quieter, and smaller which would allows for smaller consoles and slightly cheaper consoles (BD drives don't cost much but still). Plus we all know Switch cases look better on a shelf then PS/BX cases.

none of the people I know considered the discless version for even a second. Everyone of those have unlimited 400mbit/s or more.

I have addressed this here

the only reason why we have Pro-Disc SKU's is to give fake appeal to people who say they "love physical" because they have been brainwashed through media and technological corporate propaganda that "discs" are the only option for "physical" to scam them for cash, and these same users have been made to buy into the hallucination and abject rejection of reality, that they "own" their games. Something that has been proven untrue around 10 years ago or more.

GHG

Gold Member
Not voting on your stupid poll.

The option should exist for those who want it. It's not that difficult, and I say this having just recently bought my first full digital console.

The disk drives work as a cheap way for people to have their cake and eat it too re: movies and gaming.

Plus, (re: United States) internet delivery is garbage outside of the cities, where we still have 40-something percent of the population residing. I’m not going to delve into the “why” because that will turn this into a political thread—just know it’s crap, there’s no real good reason there should be a digital divide, and until you erase that divide, you’ll be alienating almost half of your potential consumer base.

The internet speeds don't apply if we switch discs with Dcards, USBS, or SD's, which would all drop the price of the consoles, and don't forget disc drives aren't the only thing being removed, you need additional parts inside the case to accommodate the disc drive, all those costs go out too.

Ten_Fold

Why would they do that? Plenty of people still buy/trade games, most people who own PS5’s use the disc drive. Give your customer’s options.

Akuji

Op is like „just sell the games on a 100gb usb stick every time u buy a game, buy a new 100gb usb stick with it, easy solution“

lol it takes some real „mental gymnastics“ to come up with that kinda solution.

original.gif

Wait.....Wouldn't the USB stick, SD card etc that the game comes on still be considered physical media? If people have been brainwashed into preferring physical media then ditching optical disks doesn't really change that...

Last edited:
Offer both a Disc and Disc-less SKU and allow consumers to decide what's important to them. Once one SKU gets more than 75% of the market-share over the other, you can get rid of the one people were not buying.

Tranquil

When I see an old game still going for $39.99 on the digital store I like having the option of going to amazon and purchasing a used physical copy for less, usually $3.49 plus S&H. Nice to have options.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What? The disc drives are not the major cost driver. They don't cost anywhere near 100 bucks but I paid 100 bucks because that will let me buy cheap used games and save more. The PS5 model is great. Let the consumer choose what they want.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Is this cat saying printing a bunch of Blurays would be more expensive than writing a bunch of 50+Gig SD/USB/Cards?

dcx4610

I love how because some people don't use Blu-rays or discs that they think EVERYONE should not use Blu-rays or discs. I can't say how many times I've seen someone leave a comment saying "Who watches Blu-rays? I haven't bought a disc since DVD". Yes, YOU haven't but many others have and plenty of us still passionately support the format.

The best answer as is always is "Why not both?"

Have a digital version for the people that want digital and the disc for the people that want to collect physically or may not have access to good internet. Stop trying to force people into a single solution.

Last edited:

spawn

No, I still use blu rays discs and dvd's. I don't care what the media says that everything is going digital. There is still going to be people who use physical media and digital media together. I don't like being restricted into using only digital media

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

Blu-ray is pointless anyway??​

go wash your mouth with soap young man
i have like 100 movies on UHD

Last edited:
original.gif

Wait.....Wouldn't the USB stick, SD card etc that the game comes on still be considered physical media? If people have been brainwashed into preferring physical media then ditching optical disks doesn't really change that...

USB's and Sd's are storage units that you can execute files from. Blu-Ray is a playback disc that streams the data to the machine. The former don't stream data, it just sends and loads near instantly. But now BR discs barely stream anymore only somewhat, making them pointless. Replace them with the former and you don't have the middle-man anymore you have instantaneous access.

Top Bottom