• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think key PS5 franchises in 2023+ will be cross gen with PS4?

Will Sony's unannounced heavy hitters be cross gen too?

• Yes. Money, PS5 shortages for a while, might as well cross gen them

Votes: 18 11.7%
  • Maybe some. Sony will pick and choose which ones to do cross gen

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • No. By then, Sony will cut the cord and those games coming later will be PS5 only

Votes: 103 66.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This poll has to do with Sony first party games.

Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok and GT 7 are cross gen. Horizon 2 is slated (possibly) for late this year and the other two games are 2022 games.

There's many other key first party games that will likely come later, but they havent been announced yet. So probably 2023 or later games. Games like UC 5, Spiderman 2, LoU 3, you never know maybe a Days Gone sequel.

You think these kinds of games will be cross gen too?

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Meaningful ones? Or meaningful ones in vast quantities? No.

If I'm remembering it correctly, Black Ops 3 was the last major game to have a PS3 version, and even that was massively stripped back (no campaign or multi can't remember which one). That was 2 years after launch. Realistically Destiny was the last major game where the publisher tried to maintain parity between the two versions. And that was 1 year after launch.

Maybe coronavirus has added another year to this as publishers look for shortcuts to get content out. That's 2023 tops IMO.

I think all the "generations" memers are blowing things out of proportion. It's neither the feather in the cap that MS is trying to make it out to be, or the horrible back-track that anti-Sony fanboys are making it out to be. It's just a non-issue.

Last edited:
Meaningful ones? Or meaningful ones in vast quantities? No.

If I'm remembering it correctly, Black Ops 3 was the last major game to have a PS3 version, and even that was massively stripped back (no campaign or multi can't remember which one). That was 2 years after launch. Realistically Destiny was the last major game where the publisher tried to maintain parity between the two versions. And that was 1 year after launch.

Maybe coronavirus has added another year to this as publishers look for shortcuts to get content out. That's 2023 tops IMO.

I think all the "generations" memers are blowing things out of proportion. It's neither the feather in the cap that MS is trying to make it out to be, or the horrible back-track that anti-Sony fanboys are making it out to be. It's just a non-issue.
Even MGSV, which was a 2015 release, sold way less on the PS3 than PS4. Cross gen games do sell, until they suddenly don't. Devs don't want to be on the wrong side of that line because then they gimped their game and spent resources on a version that doesn't even sell.

2023 would be like a PS3 game in 2016, which is just stupid.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Maybe the PS5 is really just a PS4 Pro Version 2.. except this time they were able to split their audience like the 32x..
Seriously though, our family loves the PS5, couldn't be happier. Games will be PS5 only by the 2023.

jigglet

Banned
Even MGSV, which was a 2015 release, sold way less on the PS3 than PS4. Cross gen games do sell, until they suddenly don't. 2023 would be like a PS3 game in 2017, which is just laughable.

As I said I think MS fans are making it out to be a bigger thing than it is, and disappointed Sony fans who bought into the "generations" crap are also making it out to be bigger than it is. The whole thing is such a stupid non-issue for both console makers. Yes it will make sense to continue to release on both platforms for a while...a short while. That's it.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
Can they develop socom, or is that wishful thinking? I enjoyed Ghost recon, finest hour. Those were good army games. The days when medal of honor and cod were good army games.

Hope Sony can release this on ps5.

jhjfss

all games will be cross-gen until ps6 launches. jimbo wants that $$$.
Jim Carrey Yes GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Voted Maybe Some.

Reason being is that I believe God of War Ragnarok will be Spring 2023. Could easily see Fall 2022 and then get delayed to Spring 2023 and it's obviously a huge game that's most likely being developed on PS4 and then ported to PS5 just like Horizon 2 so for GOWR, absolutely. I believe the big major games will be cross-gen including Spider Man 2. Small games like a Demon's Souls, a Returnal and even a Ratchet which while successful is nowhere near the bigger cross-gen games.

After Ratchet, the next three major games (Horizon 2, GOWR and GT 7) are all confirmed to be cross-gen and even if all three get released before 2023, you still have Spider Man 2 which is arguably their biggest franchise and with it's T rating, is far more accessible and in two years, PS4 could maybe be up to 130m give or take because if people can't get a PS5, they'll just buy a PS4/PS4 Pro instead because they know they can play these games on those consoles.

Shubh_C63

Sony can't move away from the strategy that has worked in the past.

PS5 needs it own set of exclusive IPs that will make you buy PS6, and their remasters/

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
PS first party likely has no games in 2023. Sony first party games take 4-5 years nowadays and nearly all their first party studios have gone either last year, this year or will go next year. They will have some B exclusives like Death Loop and Ghostwire tokyo filling in that year but i just dont see any of these studios turning up in 2023.

SSM - 2022 GoW
GG - 2021/2022 Horizon
PD - 2022 GT7
Insomniac - 2021 Ratchet
Sucker Punch - 2020 GoT
ND - 2020 TLOU
Sony Bend - 2019 Days Gone shouldve been ready for a 2023 release but sony wasted two of their years and they are only just now starting to get working on new IPs.

Sony will have to buy Bluepoint or Koji Pro to have first party ready for 2023. I just dont see how ND and Sucker Punch can get a next gen game ready in 3 years when their current gen games took longer. Especially with ND wasting talent and resources on a TLOU remake.

I suspect TLOU3, GoT 2, Spiderman 2 are all 2024 releases and next gen only. We should have PS5 Pro out by holiday 2023 so i suggest everyone just wait for that console to come out instead.

Last edited:

yurinka

Horizon 2, God of War Ragnarok and GT 7 started its development back in 2017-2018 when PS5 and its technology didn't exist and they didn't know its final specs, so it made sense to put them crossgen specially considering Sony supports their home consoles for 10 years or so, so it's common to see the releasing games for their previous console during the first couple of years or so of their next console.

It makes even more sense to see Sony supporting PS4 with games during the first 2-3 years of PS5 in the current context: PS4 still having almost 100 million monthly active users (MAU, not consoles sold) buying games and PS Plus, PS5 heavily supply constrained and selling out in a few minutes even if still selling at gaming history records, and during a global financial crysis with many people will need more time than usual to jump to the next gen because have little money/are unemployed/are savind due to uncertainity.

Since the launch day Sony has been releasing great next gen only games like Astro, Demon's Souls, Returnal or Ratchet plus securing next gen only 3rd party AAA and indie exclusives, and they will continue doing it during all the generation. I see that after Horizon 2, GoWR and GT7 we may see maybe a couple of crossgen games more, but looking at Morales, Sackboy and Horizon 2 and how great the previous GoW and GT still look on PS5, I'm 100% sure that being crossgen won't stop them being awesome games and top next gen showcases. I think that starting 2023 (a few months after the release of the first MS next gen only game), all Sony games will be next gen only.

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with when devkits became available. That's a cop-out excuse. Sure, some titles started before devkits were available. But there has been more than enough time to fully shift these titles to next-gen exclusive if they wanted.

They're doing cross-gen on all these titles for a simple reason, to sell more copies. That PS4 install base is just too juicy to ignore.

For this reason it's difficult to predict when they will stop making cross-gen titles. It will depend how active the PS4 install base remains.

GymWolf

Jimbo is enough of a greedy cunt to do something like that, right now nothing of the sony shitshow can surprise me anymore tbh.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Not until PlayStation 5 unit sales have hit ~70 - 80 million .

Which, given the current condition of the supply chain, will be around the year 2035.

Last edited:
PS first party likely has no games in 2023. Sony first party games take 4-5 years nowadays and nearly all their first party studios have gone either last year, this year or will go next year. They will have some B exclusives like Death Loop and Ghostwire tokyo filling in that year but i just dont see any of these studios turning up in 2023.

SSM - 2022 GoW
GG - 2021/2022 Horizon
PD - 2022 GT7
Insomniac - 2021 Ratchet
Sucker Punch - 2020 GoT
ND - 2020 TLOU
Sony Bend - 2019 Days Gone shouldve been ready for a 2023 release but sony wasted two of their years and they are only just now starting to get working on new IPs.

Sony will have to buy Bluepoint or Koji Pro to have first party ready for 2023. I just dont see how ND and Sucker Punch can get a next gen game ready in 3 years when their current gen games took longer. Especially with ND wasting talent and resources on a TLOU remake.

I suspect TLOU3, GoT 2, Spiderman 2 are all 2024 releases and next gen only. We should have PS5 Pro out by holiday 2023 so i suggest everyone just wait for that console to come out instead.
Do you know all sony games in development?

mejin

SSM - 2022 GoW
GG - 2021/2022 Horizon
PD - 2022 GT7
Insomniac - 2021 Ratchet
Sucker Punch - 2020 GoT
ND - 2020 TLOU

Sony WWS are just bigger now. Most are working on 2 projects I'd say.

I think some games will still be cross gen in 2023, but they'll definitely have games.

Games that aren't that demanding too begin with should be made to run on any viable platform they own.

If Sony makes games for PC this means that they are making them scalable anyway, if their PC games can run on a Radeon RC 580 this means downporting it to the PS4 pro is a no brainer (target 30fps for the anemic CPU)... From there making a lower resolution PS4 version is a given.

In all honesty the less demanding 2d games could probably run on PS3/Vita with little or no sacrifice ... So it would be nice if these old platforms still had them.

That being said, I'd rather have Sony's AAA games push the envelope, but I am not for checklist design around features, so it should be organic in some way.

Shmunter

Yes unfortunately, but it’s not just for PS4. It’s to fit the cross platform strategy including mediocre PC’s. Both of those markets combined are big, and Sony leaders are licking their chops. It’s been made quite clear.

Hope to be wrong.

scydrex

Yes sadly.... because they will say the same thing you can´t abandon the +110mm of PS4 user and they clearly showed what they want $. Saying at the beginning we believe in generation and now making cross gen games. Maybe at the end of 2023 or starting 2024 there will be no more cross gen.

Last edited:
To give some context, here are the Japan sales for two huge 2015 third party games - Metal Gear Solid V and COD Black Ops III.

Console userbase numbers. Over 5x the number of PS3's out there... can't leave them behind, gotta go cross gen for that sweet $$$$$$

PS4 - 1.978.638
PS3 - 10.348.395

First week sales:

Famitsu Sales: Week 36, 2015 (Aug 31 - Sep 06)
01./00. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 315.288 / NEW <80-100%>
02./00. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain # <ADV> (Konami) {2015.09.02} (¥9.072) - 157.605 / NEW <60-80%>

Twice as many on the PS4. With the PS3 having 5x the userbase.

Media Create Sales: Week 45, 2015 (Nov 2 - Nov 8)
01./00. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III # <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥8.532) - 143.817 / NEW
03./00. [PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops III <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.11.06} (¥6.372) - 20.899 / NEW

Seven times the sales on PS4. Again, remember PS3 has 5x the userbase.

SlimySnake

Sony WWS are just bigger now. Most are working on 2 projects I'd say.

I think some games will still be cross gen in 2023, but they'll definitely have games.
Eh I have been hearing this for over a decade now. I will believe it when I see it.

If Sony had so many games they would be doing an E3 conference and showing them off. As of right now, it looks like they will be skipping a June conference because they have nothing to show after a pretty decent showing from their first and second party last year. (Horizon, Ratchet, Miles, GT7, and Demon Souls)

skit_data

No, I could see a couple of kid friendly (maybe astrobot, LBP, sackboy etc.) get releases similar to how they got PS3 releases after PS4 launched. Polyphony digital will probably keep releasing content for GT7 past 2023 on PS4 though.

But key titles, nah. Not past 2023.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
What difference does it make? Some of y'all act like being tied to lowered tiered hardware holds back meaningful game design. The sad truth is it doesn't. PC gamers learned that a long time ago.

A fully next-gen only CoD game is STILL gonna be the exact same shit with a shinier coat on it. Just as it was on the PS3, then the PS4. Most games in general are gonna be the same as last gen just with the niceties of faster/stronger hardware. With the exception of a very select handful of games, the PS4 generation gave us the exact same types of games with the same design philosophy as the PS3 generation.

If it bugs any of you that much a simple solution is don't buy the shit that you don't like.

Last edited:

Camreezie

SSM - 2022 GoW
GG - 2021/2022 Horizon
PD - 2022 GT7
Insomniac - 2021 Ratchet
Sucker Punch - 2020 GoT
ND - 2020 TLOU

Most of those studios work on multiple games at once . Eg. Insomniac put out Miles Morales last year and are putting out Ratchet next week, so what you said doesnt really hold up

CeeJay

If the chip manufacturing problems come to an end then they better stop doing cross gen.

As long as these flagship titles carry on being available on the PS4 then it's preventing a wholesale shift to PS5 and some people will just stick with what they have. What a shitshow!

And to think that we were arguing whether the Series S was going to hold back the generation, who would have thought that it was going to be the last gen consoles anchoring the games firmly in last gen. :(

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The reality is that if you build exclusively for PS5 you are taking a bigger financial risk than aiming for a cross-gen strat. Its like wondering why most PC games don't need anything close to the top-end rigs to be playable.

Its all very well getting a little chub on because you are doing something shiny and cool, bills and payroll still need to be covered! The smart move generally is to build with scalability in mind, so you get to give the graphics fanboys something to brag about, whilst not cutting your own throat by restricting availability to that niche market.

Ellery

My guess is that it is most likely titles that started before or right around the time that Sony was starting to give Developers information about the PS5. So when Horizon Forbidden West started Development I am certain that Sony didn't have the exact specifications and hardware/software ready for Guerilla and they started development with PS4 as a possibility in mind.
Same must've happened with God of War and Gran Turismo maybe too. Hard to say yet. Same probably going to happen to Starfield and Battlefield 6 ?

By 2023 we will have mostly PS5 exclusive games and even 3rd Party (except for Fifa and Call of Duty) will have moved on to only next gen then.

The difference is just too big between the consoles, but they can use the additional power for 4k and 60fps and going from 1080p to 4k and from 30fps to 60fps is basically like 6-8x the performance requirement anyway. Games that have started development 1 year ago or are starting now will be next gen only and built specifically for it and then we see what all the hardware beauty in series x and PS5 can do with it.

If it's a new IP it'll probably be for PS5.

If it's a sequel to a PS4 game, like Ghost of Tsushima 2 or something, that wouldn't surprise me if it was cross-gen. If you think it through, it's honestly not that surprising. God of War Ragnarok is going to basically reuse the entire engine, and probably multiple gameplay elements and assets, and then add to it. Same thing for Horizon 2.

Playstation is trying to emulate Xbox's strategy now, and is trying to get their games on as many devices as possible.

mxbison

I think Naughty Dog's game will be the first huge PS5 exclusive. But that's probably 2 or 3 years away.

McCarth

How is a dedicated version with considerable graphical inprovements etc. ”subpar BC”?
You misunderstand me. Last year leading up to launch people were constantly going nuts about BC on the PS5, and how it was going to undermine the console and bring Sony down and etc. etc. With a sprinkling of nonsense storylines about Jim Ryan as well.

Low and behold, now that everything is out in the wild, people have realized it really isn't a big deal at all and it doesn't get nearly the same amount of 'worry' as before.

My comment was the assumption that cross-gen is that same type of topic, now for 2021. Once again spurring 'worry' before any of the games are even released.

KAL2006

Banned
It would be smart for Sony to remaster some old PS3 games for PS4 to keep the content coming for people who are not ready to buy a PS5 in 2023.

Pupeteer Remaster
Sly Thieves in Time
Ratchet and Clank Future Collection

All these games would still look good today on the PS4 Pro and would keep content coming and people can also play these on their PS5.

KAL2006

Banned
I think Naughty Dog's game will be the first huge PS5 exclusive. But that's probably 2 or 3 years away.

And it will be a a remake of the original Last of Us. That means we won't get a PS5 exclusive game after Ratchet that's not a remake in a very long time.

SlimySnake

Most of those studios work on multiple games at once . Eg. Insomniac put out Miles Morales last year and are putting out Ratchet next week, so what you said doesnt really hold up
Most? Insomniac is literally the only studio that does that and they werent even a sony studio until late last year.

Name one sony studio that has released multiple games like Insomniac. Spoiler alert. You cant.

Time between games released.
  • Sucker punch - 6.5 years between infamous and GoT.
  • GG - 5 years between horizon and Horizon 2. 4 years and 9 months if it makes the holiday season.
  • GoW - 4 years between GoW and GoW2.
  • GT7 - 4+ years between GT Sports and GT 7.
  • Media Molecule - 7 years between Tearaway and Dreams.
  • Sony Bend - 7.5 years between Uncharted Golden Shower and Days Gone.
  • ND - 3 years between Lost Legacy and TLOU 2.

Hell, ND literally has nothing else fucking going on which is why they started taking over the Visual Studios Group's TLOU remake project because employees had nothing to do after shipping TLOU2. If a second ND team was done with pre-production on their new IP their staff would not be fucking with another studios fucking remake.

1 studio does not mean MOST, and I wouldnt consider Miles a brand new game anyway. It is literally using the same exact map as the original Spiderman. They did great with a new story campaign, but there is a reason why they greenlit that game and not Spiderman 2. They knew they wouldnt have a true spiderman sequel ready by 2021. 3 years after Spiderman came out.

Like I said, if these studios had multiple games in development. We would be seeing them at this E3 or in a June conference. I will give them a few more weeks to set something up, but if they are not there then we can rule out the secret multiple teams theory.

Last edited:

skit_data

You misunderstand me. Last year leading up to launch people were constantly going nuts about BC on the PS5, and how it was going to undermine the console and bring Sony down and etc. etc. With a sprinkling of nonsense storylines about Jim Ryan as well.

Low and behold, now that everything is out in the wild, people have realized it really isn't a big deal at all and it doesn't get nearly the same amount of 'worry' as before.

My comment was the assumption that cross-gen is that same type of topic, now for 2021. Once again spurring 'worry' before any of the games are even released.
Ah, I understand. Yes the hyperbole is real.

Suddenly we have people arguing old games at higher res and framerates are what defines nextgen worrying a ton about dedicated upgraded versions of games released after the games they argue define the next gen experience.

Some saying ”there’s no reason to get a PS5 because of this” while still arguing Series X is the best buy in another thread.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
PS4 was too much of a success to ignore it an d basically how games are made today there is no reason not to.

AGRacing

Gold Member
I wonder if someone is porting Returnal and Ratchet (haha) to PS4 as we speak, honestly.

540p is going to be as popular on PS4 as it is on Switch!!!

Astral Dog

stop crying first wave will sure be cross generation, but there are already 3 exclusive PS5 games from Sony and there will be more by 2023.

just remember all software was delayed by covid so cross gen won't go away soon. Jesus these threads 🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom